Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
BSG only makes sense as an artifact of pure strain Bush-era mass psychosis. It's a little like Southland Tales in that regard. It's truly bizarre show, probably among the weirdest sci-fi shows ever made, but not in a goofy just-roll-with-it way like Farscape or even in a faintly offputting way like Lexx. It's more in terms of what degree of realism it affects and then demands you put up with, in the midst of a heterogeneous slurry of starship nostalgia, Gen X disappointment, techno-eschatology, ironic military cheerleading, religious bigotry and complete nihilistic despair about Western society. It does come off as DS9 ad absurdum because they have the same basic theme: Star Trek didn't happen and the kids who grew up watching it are really pissed about that. But whereas DS9 comes off as more of a gentle critique of Trek, suggesting that you have to betray Trek's utopia to save it, BSG goes straight for the throat and attacks the five year mission from a pretty much Hobbesian point of view. None of this boldly going bullshit, that won't fly out here in post 9/11 America because everyone is too busy killing each other so that they can survive. I can't say the result is very enjoyable but it's an interesting and unique show. It leapt into the vacuum created by the total irrelevance of Enterprise and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its pretty amazing that Bajor was nearly accepted into the federation while it was simultaneously suffering from a rash of Dalrock attacks. An entire colony of rake-clutching sustenance farmers held in the grip of terror at what was essentially a light show at a christian rock concert. Yes, these people are clearly ready to join the federation.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, the Prophets and Pa-Wraiths showed up like six or eight times in the whole show, and four or five of them were pretty bad. Like, DS9's pilot doesn't get enough credit, and they did a swell job introducing them - Sisko gets to showcase his intellect and argue these weird non-temporal aliens down, and they conduct some impromptu therapy on him, and they have a mutual breakthrough. Good stuff. (Dax is standing right next to him and her character development is a shamefully brief cop-out, natch).

If they had planned from the beginning to say "There are evil wormhole aliens who got exiled on Bajor. They are still dangerous, explaining why the Prophets give a poo poo and why they influenced the Bajoran religion." That could have been a road map for the rest of the series. But later on, they were pretty obviously just hucking poo poo at the wall to see if it stuck. Sisko, you can't get married. Sisko, Bajor can't join the Federation. Or else. Because we care. I mean, we don't care, but, talk us into caring this time. poo poo, we forgot to teach the model who played Jennifer Sisko how to act. Okay, let's never talk about this again. Oops, series is ending, umm, let's make Gul Dukat evil space Jesus and give him an evil magic book, I guess.

The Bajoran religion storylines were mostly pretty good, especially in the way they critiqued traditionalism and made Kira into a well-meaning dumbass every once in a while. That could have been worse. But the parts where the actual magical energy beings showed up were not easy to sit through.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what if it really was just sisko writing on the walls, all of star trek

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
after I saw that episode I could know longer like star trek knowing it was all just some crazy guy writing it on his walls

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Crazy guy writing on walls is far more palatable than the true star trek origin of crazy guy sexually harassing actors.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Crazy guy writing on walls is far more palatable than the true star trek origin of crazy guy sexually harassing actors.

I doubt he stopped at the actors.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what if it really was just sisko writing on the walls, all of star trek
It's real

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

It's a fake

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Also Garak owns. Meeting him in person and just chatting about DS9 and Garak was a highlight of my teen nerd days. I got a photo signed with "never tell the same lie twice" from him. He was also telling us that him and some of the writers really wanted to push the whole "garak is pan-sexual as gently caress" angle but there was too much push back from above. If anyone found Garak and Bashir's interactions a bit flirty it's because that was fully his intention.

Imagine if the Dukat/Garak hate was due to them being ex-lovers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is the first-person Garak novel worth reading?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
how would one search efficiently for short form erotic star trek fan fic, does it have a term? Its for a secret project

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Yeah, the Prophets and Pa-Wraiths showed up like six or eight times in the whole show, and four or five of them were pretty bad. Like, DS9's pilot doesn't get enough credit, and they did a swell job introducing them - Sisko gets to showcase his intellect and argue these weird non-temporal aliens down, and they conduct some impromptu therapy on him, and they have a mutual breakthrough. Good stuff. (Dax is standing right next to him and her character development is a shamefully brief cop-out, natch).

If they had planned from the beginning to say "There are evil wormhole aliens who got exiled on Bajor. They are still dangerous, explaining why the Prophets give a poo poo and why they influenced the Bajoran religion." That could have been a road map for the rest of the series. But later on, they were pretty obviously just hucking poo poo at the wall to see if it stuck. Sisko, you can't get married. Sisko, Bajor can't join the Federation. Or else. Because we care. I mean, we don't care, but, talk us into caring this time. poo poo, we forgot to teach the model who played Jennifer Sisko how to act. Okay, let's never talk about this again. Oops, series is ending, umm, let's make Gul Dukat evil space Jesus and give him an evil magic book, I guess.

The Bajoran religion storylines were mostly pretty good, especially in the way they critiqued traditionalism and made Kira into a well-meaning dumbass every once in a while. That could have been worse. But the parts where the actual magical energy beings showed up were not easy to sit through.

Actually, it seems like they were laying a groundwork for future shows to pick up upon. Bajor doesn't end up in the Federation immediately, but that's fine because it's pretty realistic and gives you more stuff you can do in Bajor later on.

Sisko can't get married because he is training to become a Buddha in White Space. He could show up later to herald a new conflict for the Federation in 20 odd years.

Gul Dukat becoming evil space Jesus is absolutely bonkers, but it's exactly the kind of ending he deserves. He has a moment of introspection following madness, attempts to reconcile his self-delusions with his real actions, and ultimately just doubles down on his villainy. He becomes Snively Whiplash and Jim Jones combined and that's a beautiful peak for a villain to reach.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 2, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

how would one search efficiently for short form erotic star trek fan fic, does it have a term? Its for a secret project

reminder that the term "slash fic" actually originated with star trek fans in the 70s writing erotic fiction

it's a reference to the slash in "kirk/spock"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"slash fic" literally predates the internet

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sisko can't get married because he is training to become a Buddha in White Space. He could show up later to herald a new conflict for the Federation in 20 odd years.

Hmmm yes you are right, it makes perfect sense if you yank some random made-up bullshit out of your rear end and think it through backwards

Don't know how I missed that

edit: actually

Tujague fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 2, 2016

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Hmmm yes you are right, it makes perfect sense if you yank some random made-up bullshit out of your rear end and think it through backwards

Don't know how I missed that

edit: actually

They literally say he'll be back within that one lady's lifetime.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminder that the term "slash fic" actually originated with star trek fans in the 70s writing erotic fiction

oh thats cool, you learn something new every day

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
COLD OPEN: The new Star Trek captain is gonna do some dumb poo poo and is ready to hit the kill switch on some dumb suicide plan when a baseball hits him on the head out of nowhere, knocking him unconscious.

Sisko is there in a baseball uniform, smoke rising off his shoulders. He walks over to the captain's chair, sits down, bat lain across his knees, and with a smirk at the camera says "Now, let's really play ball"

que intro music

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Don't doxx yourself in this good thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just watched TOS's Rome Planet episode. It was fairly quintessential Star Trek until the end when it turns out the Sun god some people were worshipping was actually "The Son of God" and Rome Planet was developing Christianity. Bridge crew has a big laugh, roll credits. :wtc:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Met posted:

Just watched TOS's Rome Planet episode. It was fairly quintessential Star Trek until the end when it turns out the Sun god some people were worshipping was actually "The Son of God" and Rome Planet was developing Christianity. Bridge crew has a big laugh, roll credits. :wtc:

yeah well you should watch the episode with the kohms and yangs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Met posted:

I just found a TOS episode where they find a post-apocolyptic society of mostly asian people who are able to live indefinitely but are ravaged by vile savages.

Oh wait, the vile savages are white and revere the American flag and Constitution? They're the good guys we should be supporting!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

good. good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

:iceburn:

You keep fighting the good fight man. You show those dumb nerds.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Mr. Pumroy posted:

This episode is frustrating because the first half has a legitimately good non-silly plot. The premise was similar to Insurrection (a rogue captain thinks some less-developed race has the fountain of youth).

But, just as it's wrapping up (hubris as rogue captain finds out he hosed everyone over for nothing), the dumbest possible plot twist happens and, well, PLEDGE A LEGIONS...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I need to shave.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

http://astele.co.uk/trek/

So just found a repertoire of dodgy Star Trek fanfic on the web, with a huge host of Cardassian stories.

My favourite so far is "Just for tonight" featuring Quark and Ziyal getting it on: http://astele.co.uk/trek/stories/ariana/just.txt

obviously :nws:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thank you for this

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

thank you for this

youre very welcome, its got me through many lonely nights

fake edit: how long till someone makes stupid cardassian romance av now

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They literally say he'll be back within that one lady's lifetime.

he said maybe

he also says he might be back yesterday so I don't know what the prophets have him on during that particular conversation

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sisko rides around the galaxies trying out each civilizations jambalaya

Star Trek: Feed Face, Mine

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have a book called the Covert Culture Sourcebook 2.0 from 1994. Generally about all sorts of niche and interesting things out there in the forms of music, books, culture, etc., sort of pre-mainstream Internet and it sort of shows in some of the internet things it does reference and that a huge portion of the contents only have telephone/mailing addresses for more info.

Anyway, there's a small section for a book called Textual Poachers from 1992 which seems to sort of be about the topic and I'm not sure if it might be one of the first books to cover fan-fic and slash-fic given that it did come out before internet fiction was so big.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415905729?keywords=textual%20poachers&qid=1451793803&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

The Amazon link likely has better reviews/descriptions that I can type up from my CCS2.0 book, though.

Tasha and Data on horseback, wonderful cover.

edit: There's apparently a newer version that maybe covers more modern stuff, but I'd actually probably more interested in what the original had to say given its publication in the early 90s and probably informed more by nothing newer than 1990-1991.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 3, 2016

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
latest jandreedit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtnmcnmAl4

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Watching Time's Arrow again and I just want Mark Twain to blurt out some really racist poo poo like he would actually do, it would be great too because Data would have to inform the crew about why the most famous author of 19th century earth calls Worf a "redskin"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like to see a sequel to that absolutely terrifying claymation Mark Twain movie with Star Trek characters in it.

Like, Data has a conversation with claymation Satan.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I started watching DS9 again after finishing it a couple of years ago and I have a hard time not shouting out JAMBALAYA every time Avery Brooks does one of his insane happy/worried faces and/or raises his voice.

"Go above my head one more time and I will JAMBALAYA on a platter"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dogcow posted:

Watching Time's Arrow again and I just want Mark Twain to blurt out some really racist poo poo like he would actually do, it would be great too because Data would have to inform the crew about why the most famous author of 19th century earth calls Worf a "redskin"

Didn't he call Guinan a charming negress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Didn't he call Guinan a charming negress

No, that was Abraham Lincoln, to Uhura.

Then he apologized if he'd offended her, and she said it was okay and that their society had evolved beyond being offended by words.

• Locked thread