Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

sebmojo posted:

There was a test server build that balanced damage, mobility and targeting delay as equally relevant factors in battle effectiveness and could only be described as fabulously retarded, but they listened to feedback and canned it.

Games in OK shape right now.

I guess it's time to download and shoot robots in the robutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Games in OK shape right now.

It's alright, but the solo matchmaker has some serious bipolar disorder going on right now.

edit: sorry for whining. I'm having an incredibly frustrating night of getting stomped and getting consistently teamed with people who leave arm lock on or run Stalker builds with LRM5s, LPLs, and dual AMS. I don't get it.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is there any reason as to why after not playing the game for a couple weeks I got my pilot skill rating dropped from 3 to 5 ?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

novaSphere posted:

It's alright, but the solo matchmaker has some serious bipolar disorder going on right now.

edit: sorry for whining. I'm having an incredibly frustrating night of getting stomped and getting consistently teamed with people who leave arm lock on or run Stalker builds with LRM5s, LPLs, and dual AMS. I don't get it.

Solo matchmaking in this game has always been trash, the sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 4-8 players in the group, less and you have to rely on your team to win, which is never a good idea, more and you get shot into the full group brackets where you need to all be running optimal builds and optimal robots or you'll lose every match.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Is there any reason as to why after not playing the game for a couple weeks I got my pilot skill rating dropped from 3 to 5 ?

Consider it a blessing.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I think there's currently a bug with the Atlas. I had my AC20 get destroyed twice tonight while I was still all around armored (yellowish.). This has never happened on any of my other mechs of which I have waaaay more recent playtime. I had thought maybe it was the AC20 itself, but Ive never lost the AC20 in my Enforcer while the arm was still armored.

Were you on a DDC? I had no issues with the AC20 once I switched to the s variant, just on the DDC for some reason.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

novaSphere posted:

That's always going to happen when you have people who can basically breakdance in a mech while doing trick shots and people who struggle to press "forwards" and aim through reverse fishbowl glasses in the same matches.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Washout posted:

Solo matchmaking in this game has always been trash, the sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 4-8 players in the group, less and you have to rely on your team to win, which is never a good idea, more and you get shot into the full group brackets where you need to all be running optimal builds and optimal robots or you'll lose every match.

shoot my robutt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DancingShade posted:

That's always going to happen when you have people who can basically breakdance in a mech while doing trick shots and people who struggle to press "forwards" and aim through reverse fishbowl glasses in the same matches.

I just saw a Jaeger DD with 8 machine guns. It went at 48.9 kmh full throttle.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Just tried a direwolf with 2 lbx20, 2 lpulse and 2 medium pulse and I am in love.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
We really outta do a write up on the weird/obscure rules this game has, because drat are a lot of these questions coming out of that.

Also we need to figure a way to fix "we are in a 5-7 man and lost 2 or 3 games in a row and now no one wants to talk or call targets and then we lose another and everyone leaves" syndrome. It seems to happen an awful lot in mumble groups (there is a common factor here its me)

vvvvv It used to be 40% at one point, I don't know if it was multiple changes or not. At that point the shotgun effect of the LB-X was mitigated by how much quicker you could pump rounds in, but at 10% its most certainly not worthwhile. Still is, I am dumb.

That weapon in particular has been a forever problem in part because it is entirely an upgrade from an AC/10 in tabletop, as it can fire either type of round and the cluster rounds present 10 chances for a critical rather than 1 (I am no tabletop expert but I believe this is accurate). meanwhile in MWO, on top of being cluster only, the component shredding aspect of them is only useful on mechs with enough internal structure that they are going to that section on-board long enough to do anything with the exposed bits. I kinda wonder (other than for technical reasons) why they haven't simply implemented the through armor crit capacity to that weapon specifically, as it would take several hits to break anything anyways and would at least give some reason for its use on mechs that aren't heavily quirks (same for MGs)

edit: ask me about my mental illness itt:

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 3, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Sard posted:

Is the CN9-D any better or at least more usable?
I started with Centurions after their quirks were introduced and I managed to get a fair amount of satisfaction with the CN9-D + the LBX-10 Cooldown module back then, now it just doesn't work for me at all. Look at it like this, you can have two similar builds - the CN9-D sandpapering away with the LBX and relying on SRMs for actual damage ( and I'm really not sold on low damage crit seeking projectiles being more effective than just loosing another volley of srms ) vs your reward CN9-AH hitting a hell of a lot harder with an AC20 plus a similar number of SRMS.

And just looking at the CN9-D quirks right now....am I right in thinking that they've been nerfed? I'm sure there was a greater than 10% cooldown reduction on the LBX? ( I thought it was like 30% when I was last playing - No wonder I don't like my CN9-D no more )

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 3, 2016

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I was taking a look at the cent D and iirc it has 10% lbx CD and 30% generic ballistic cd. I actually dicked around with one in the mech builder and ended up with 2 ac5s and 2 ml on a 255 xl. You'd have to stand pretty far back to live long but you can throw a pretty decent amount of dps downrange with those quirks. Not planning on buying one though because the price tag ended up something like 15 mil for an IS 50 tonner.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Whoever designed the two really hot maps with the big circles is either an rear end in a top hat or brilliant. They draw pubbies like moths to a bug zapper. It's terrible map design, but goddamn if it isn't amazing to watch a trail of pubbies march up to the circle, get in each other's way and then die while overheated. It's what I imagine lemmings are like.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Brutal Self Owns itt

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

There are no TACs. A long time ago there was a bug where the paper doll didnt update damage correctly. I'm betting its back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

Whoever designed the two really hot maps with the big circles is either an rear end in a top hat or brilliant. They draw pubbies like moths to a bug zapper. It's terrible map design, but goddamn if it isn't amazing to watch a trail of pubbies march up to the circle, get in each other's way and then die while overheated. It's what I imagine lemmings are like.

On both those maps, the big circle is where you want to be because the enemy is generally too stupid to coordinate a push from multiple directions to overwhelm you, and so they'll march in one by one while you pick them off.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

I clutched out another game with my Sniper Cat:

I really feel like I've found my niche in this game.

I don't know why, but for some reason, there's always a million idiots in HPG and every now and then we get into the situation of last man standing being izov and every single person left has no long range weapons installed or has any idea that their weapon ranges are the optimal ranges and they can still hit stuff outside of it, just at reduced damage.
Or if they have the lead on the deathmatch mode, that they just run into the basement instead of stand there getting shot at.
There was an Ebon Jag in that game that just stood there moving a tiny bit to not get shot but he was good enough health to just run behind something else and get into the basement.

Sard posted:

Seconding this (and that other medium with the good LRM bonuses, one of the Hunchbacks I think?) because while you can do better in the laser Trebuchet, it's really worth it to see mechs like the King Crab freak out from the storm of pinpoint missiles hitting their CT from a relatively fast mech with jumpjets.

But no one ever does this. I have seen only one LRM-TAG toting medium mech all week, in stark contrast to an LRM assault in every match, every day. I have seen so many Atlas in the last three days alone, all equipped the same way: LRMs and either two ER PPC, or two ERLL and maybe a pair of medium pulse lasers. And they're always on my team so I can't kill them.

Golden Boy and Loyalty Centurion are solid missile boats too. The GB can fit a TAG, but Loyalty Cent can't. However, Cbill boost = best quirk. In the wise words of Biggie Smalls: Get money.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Before I buy a Thunderbolt. I was told to nab a 5SS, all the builds I'm looking at vary wildly. From nothing but MPL to ERLL. Anyone have a build that would point me in the right direction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

Before I buy a Thunderbolt. I was told to nab a 5SS, all the builds I'm looking at vary wildly. From nothing but MPL to ERLL. Anyone have a build that would point me in the right direction.

3 large pulse lasers, some kind of STD engine and double heatsinks. You can add extra secondary lasers if you want or just purely run 6 medium pulse lasers if you want to brawl and murder things up close.

There are a lot of "right" ways to build it and the best one for you is going to depend on your playstyle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have a godhand SCR-Prime and a splatcrow SCR-D, so I need a third Stormcrow variant for mastery. I'm considering mounting an AC-20 on it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=184&l=7961976e47b241d30b99b444eb95b2421c57768f

Bad idea, or terrible idea? :v:

(If it's a horrid idea, I'll just mount 3x LPL on it instead and make a boring laser sniper 'crow. Shame there's no Dakkacrow build possible.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have a godhand SCR-Prime and a splatcrow SCR-D, so I need a third Stormcrow variant for mastery. I'm considering mounting an AC-20 on it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=184&l=7961976e47b241d30b99b444eb95b2421c57768f

(If it's a horrid idea, I'll just mount 3x LPL on it instead and make a boring laser sniper 'crow. Shame there's no Dakkacrow build possible.)

You could do that, or you could put the godhand on there and fit AC/20 + 6 ER Sm lasers.

Here's a really dumb idea! Be sure to make full use of the dead side to shield your god hand! Wubcrow

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 3, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

You could do that, or you could put the godhand on there and fit AC/20 + 6 ER Sm lasers.

Man, I need to get used to thinking in terms of omnipods. That sounds hilarious, although I'm not sure how well the AC-20 and SPL/ERSLs would mesh range-wise, plus I'm worried about heat.

A.o.D. posted:

Here's a really dumb idea! Be sure to make full use of the dead side to shield your god hand! Wubcrow

Even dumber idea: ravecrow :v:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

3 large pulse lasers, some kind of STD engine and double heatsinks. You can add extra secondary lasers if you want or just purely run 6 medium pulse lasers if you want to brawl and murder things up close.

There are a lot of "right" ways to build it and the best one for you is going to depend on your playstyle.

I was trying to figure out how to cram 3 lpl on this thing but I can't seem to figure it out. Considering the quirks for the mech, I'll go with the whole STD300, double heatsinks. I figured 7 medium pulse can fit but that'd be some hell of a lot of heat management.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

We should compile a poo poo load of new builds

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I feel slightly underwhelmed by the UAC-20, all Ultra-ACs as it is.
From what ive seen, the UAC20 is basically an AC5 that shoots 4 times, why should i use it over a regular AC20?

Also what light (40 tons or lower) IS mech does
.) have ECM
.) have AMS
.) have jump jets
.) go over 120 kph
.) can fit autocannopns if needed
?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's really fun to mount 2 ERPPC and the rest ERSL and go to town, runs super hot but you can stick and move to cool down really easily.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

comon man at least be serious with it...

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I feel slightly underwhelmed by the UAC-20, all Ultra-ACs as it is.
From what ive seen, the UAC20 is basically an AC5 that shoots 4 times, why should i use it over a regular AC20?

Also what light (40 tons or lower) IS mech does
.) have ECM
.) have AMS
.) have jump jets
.) go over 120 kph
.) can fit autocannopns if needed
?

Are you asking for a list for each, or mechs that fulfill all if these?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
The UAC20 fires four times yeah. So does the AC20. The U just means you can double fire it and risk a jam. All clan ACs fire in bursts, the ultra just means you can doubletap.

IS ACs don't fire in bursts. This is generally why people consider IS ballistics to be superior.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Why would you put auto cannons on a light?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

No, it was with an S(L).

Washout come back man, poo poo's alright.

Yep reinstalled already, probably jump on later today. Really wish I had not blown all my cash buying 3 dire wolves with these new mechs like the rifleman coming down the pipe tho.

especially since the Diashi is a pile of poo poo.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm amazed at how long the paywall is on some mechs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, I need to get used to thinking in terms of omnipods. That sounds hilarious, although I'm not sure how well the AC-20 and SPL/ERSLs would mesh range-wise, plus I'm worried about heat.

Even dumber idea: ravecrow :v:

UAC/20s and smalls mesh just fine. THey're all close ranged brawl guns.

For the second fit, it's a great build if you want ghost heat to kill you before the enemy can.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Great Beer posted:

Why would you put auto cannons on a light?

Nothing says "gently caress you" like a gimmick light with an AC/20.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

For the second fit, it's a great build if you want ghost heat to kill you before the enemy can.

Well, no, you obviously don't fire all 13 at once. You fire them as 6/4/3 so you don't hit the ghost heat limit!

(You'll still overheat like no one's business.)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Coolwhoami posted:

Are you asking for a list for each, or mechs that fulfill all if these?

One that has all of these, my dream-light for IS.
I havent found one, but i might be retarded, so...

Im eyeing with a Janner, who cant ECM, or a Cicada, which cant jump.

On autocannons:
Thanks for clarification, the ingame information didnt really make this clear in any way.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 3, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm amazed at how long the paywall is on some mechs

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

It still is quite excessive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Washout posted:

Yep reinstalled already, probably jump on later today. Really wish I had not blown all my cash buying 3 dire wolves with these new mechs like the rifleman coming down the pipe tho.

especially since the Diashi is a pile of poo poo.

I was disappointed with mine since I saved cbills forever for it and it felt worse than my Atlas.

Then I put 2lbx20s, 2SRM6s, a UAC10 and some lasers on it and started waiting for people to turn corners last night, and got 7 kills. It is the ultimate gently caress off to just about anything in its short range. It's gimmicky, but way more fun than anything else I tried for the direwolf.

• Locked thread