Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I tried reading ahead a bit in ISSTH and it really does have a bunch of ye olde Chinese. The real problem is still made up fantasy terms though, there are strings of barely coherent characters that actively resist comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Chapter 62 of My Disciple is now translated. The author shows his take on transgender people and homo-eroticism. Sort of. Also mentioned is animal cruelty and the necessity of charging your batteries.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looks like blastron posted the first chapter for honzuki :toot:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Got the first volume of the Kumoko novel today. It's a lot larger than a regular LN (same size as the Log Horizon novels). There are more illustrations other than the ones I posted a few pages back, including one that's probably Shun at his appraisal ceremony. Also, all monsters look appropriately monster-like, it's just Kumoko that's a moe spider.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
The first chapter of the Only Sense Online manga went up last week.

vvv Fixed.

Thunk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 2, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Thunk posted:

The first chapter of the Only Sense Online manga went up last week.

Your link is broken. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/only-sense-online-r14810

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The OSO manga is kinda lackluster.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Great jumping Jehoshaphat the forums on Novel Updates are terrible. Great utility site, terrible people on the forums. I'd blame the readers, but the translators also should be practicing a bit of discretion on what they translate. Some of these works really doesn't deserve more publicity than they have already. It also brings up another issue I'm finding: why the gently caress are all these stories that glorifies slavery in some shape or form getting translated? Why are they being written in the first place?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Great jumping Jehoshaphat the forums on Novel Updates are terrible. Great utility site, terrible people on the forums. I'd blame the readers, but the translators also should be practicing a bit of discretion on what they translate. Some of these works really doesn't deserve more publicity than they have already. It also brings up another issue I'm finding: why the gently caress are all these stories that glorifies slavery in some shape or form getting translated? Why are they being written in the first place?

They are being translated for the same reason they were written for the first place- people are terrible.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

Almost facetious answer: If WWII has taught me anything it's that Japanese people love sex slaves.

Real answer? It's much easier for people who can't empathize with protagonists being attractive and popular (say, the entire JP demographic most WNs are pitching their power fantasies to) but they can easily picture being the best master in the world to some poor slave they rescue with their god-given power who, consequently, falls in love with them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

FriggenJ posted:

Almost facetious answer: If WWII has taught me anything it's that Japanese people love sex slaves.

Real answer? It's much easier for people who can't empathize with protagonists being attractive and popular (say, the entire JP demographic most WNs are pitching their power fantasies to) but they can easily picture being the best master in the world to some poor slave they rescue with their god-given power who, consequently, falls in love with them.

"If only I could bend the universe to my will, I could be popular, ufufufufu"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Besides, writing about relationships is probably far beyond anyone who writes slavery wn's. Man acquires (female) slave, slave automatically worships him! That's how slavery works, right?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

FriggenJ posted:

While this might justify the motivations of writers of this garbage, what excuse do the translators have? That they're Confederate sympathizers and believe that the South will rise again? I think those people would be so xenophobic that anything that isn't American would be shunned with all the shunning that can shun. Slavery, and by extension its close relative indentured servitude, is a terrible institution that was banned for a reason. Anyone that supports it needs to check again who they think human rights apply to. The whole idea of slaves falling in love with their master is probably closer to Stockholms than any actual attraction. As terrible as that slavemancer WN is, at least it depicts accurately how much of an rear end in a top hat the MC is. I would actually rate it better than most of the other LN/WNs that has the MC involved in slavery (and rape), as it induces the proper reaction in you: disgust.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is no real mystery. The same sort of people who write it translate it. Gross fetishes transcend language barriers.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

While this might justify the motivations of writers of this garbage, what excuse do the translators have? That they're Confederate sympathizers and believe that the South will rise again? I think those people would be so xenophobic that anything that isn't American would be shunned with all the shunning that can shun. Slavery, and by extension its close relative indentured servitude, is a terrible institution that was banned for a reason. Anyone that supports it needs to check again who they think human rights apply to. The whole idea of slaves falling in love with their master is probably closer to Stockholms than any actual attraction. As terrible as that slavemancer WN is, at least it depicts accurately how much of an rear end in a top hat the MC is. I would actually rate it better than most of the other LN/WNs that has the MC involved in slavery (and rape), as it induces the proper reaction in you: disgust.

Not to paint an entire demographic with too broad a brush but, have you considered the type of people who're obsessed with Japan enough to actually find/translate non mainstream webnovels? Add onto that I can't imagine the prose in these things being too terribly difficult to figure out for amateurs in translation/Japanese.

Most of this crap is pure male power fantasies and the people who seek them out don't always have the most healthy respect/mindset towards other humans(especially women) or are too young to really consider how absolutely lovely the ideas that are being glossed over in "Well, I saved them from being beaten by their owner and they totally love me despite being magically coerced into doing my bidding" rationalization.

To summarize: Gross people gonna do/enjoy gross things.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lmao

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

lord fifth continues to own a whole bunch, work those glutes boys :yosbutt:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It wasn’t that Meng Hao didn’t enjoy looking at beauty. However, as a Cultivator, the first thing he did when he opened his eyes was not gaze upon the beautiful figure in front of him; instead, he sent out his Spiritual Sense to check whether or not his belongings had been touched after he passed out.

nothing quite sums up the message of ISSTH like this :tem:

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I read Even a Cicada Becomes a Dragon If Reborn and it was pretty good fun. It's a short 9-chapter (although some chapters have multiple parts) story about a cicada who was reincarnated as a dragon. His mighty dragon adventures include, among other things, making friends, drinking tree sap, and singing.

Here is an excerpt from the second chapter:

a hungry dragon posted:

My love and knowledge of sap, I may never tell all of it in the short time I had left.

The cicada that lived its whole life only on sap was a sommelier in the field of sap.

Sap

Sap
Ah, sap

Once again will you quench my thirst?

Will you never again fill my abdomen?

The jaw of a dragon was too large to lick and taste you.

The body of a dragon will crush a tree when only clung to it.

Finally, I sing the love song, the lullaby (Requiem) for myself.

Under fierce hunger, but I thought that it didn’t seem so bad to die as it was.

What fate had once brought back by dead body. I was able to fly to the top of the clouds.
Although it was short, the life as a dragon was quite good.

However, if I can reborn once again . . .

I want to become a cicada again.

It was fine even if the jaw was small, I wanted to sing with my companions in a loud voice.

It was fine even if the wings were small, I wanted to fly while bathing in the sunshine filtered through the foliage.

It was fine even if the hands and feet were small, I wanted to cling to the soft bark and hug it.

And above all, I want to drink sap till my stomach was full again.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

lord fifth continues to own a whole bunch, work those glutes boys :yosbutt:

Lord Fifth's spell is what happens when twerking attacks. These mystic giants have some strange movements.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 6, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Krytykal has finished translating the Silver Muse volume of OSO.

I feel like Silver Muse is supposed to have a lot more gamer terminology in it, so the translation is a little flavorless, but it's still pretty fun.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Looks like blastron posted the first chapter for honzuki :toot:

Chapter two is out. That's great, I've been looking forward to reading it and the first impression it gives is good. :)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh yeah, I'm posting those on Tuesdays. I was going to wait to barge in here and wave them around until Chapter 3 hit, but please, enjoy!

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/honzuki-contents

(i swear i'll get prev/next buttons in soon)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I've read the first quarter of the published Kumoko novel.
Overall, the story is moving faster than the web version. The order of some events has been shifted around and a plot point that wasn't in the web novel has been introduced.

Here are the changes compared to the web version so far:
1. Kumoko hatches, runs away from the other spiders and Mother and explores for a bit. Near the human footsteps there's a spider corpse that she takes with her

S1. In the first Shun-chapter the part where they talk about the game was shortened to introduce more of the classmates and the teacher

2. Kumoko builds her first home and starts experimenting with the spider thread. When she gets hungry, she eats the spider corpse. This nets her the Kin Eater-title. The fight against the other spider has probably been removed. After that, the first frog gets caught in her net and she defeats it

S2. The Shun storyline immediately skips to the appraisal ceremony. He gets appraised, meets Kanata, then summarizes the time after he was born, skipping most of the exposition

3. A human is caught in Kumoko's net. He manages to free himself and runs away, but leaves the large egg he was carrying. Kumoko tries eating the egg, but it's too hard to break even by dropping it from the ceiling onto a sharp rock. Next, she tries wrapping it with elastic spider thread until it's crushed by the pressure. While that is going on, another frog gets caught in the web and she gets her first level up

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good works in the "regular person gets misunderstood as a godly battle-monster" genre? I like manga like those and I think it'd be funny to read one of these stories like that, especially if it's ISSTH-like.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Almost halfway through the Kumoko novel. The Kumoko story is still mostly the same, but things have started to diverge in the Shun storyline.

4. Kumoko is unable to break the egg. She expands her home and reaches Lv. 5 while leveling her spider thread. The adventurers come and burn her home down, taking the silk and the egg.

S3. Shun got the egg as part of the appraisal ceremony celebrations. It hatches and contains a female earth drake. Shun names her Feyruun / Fey.

5. Kumoko wanders around, leveling her appraisal skill and fights a frog and a basilisk to reach level 6. No important changes compared to the web version.

S4. Shun talks about skills. This is mostly the same as S8 of the web novel, only Fey is with them. Shun thinks that she seems to be quite intelligent and that it looks like she's trying to read the skill book...

6. Kumoko continues hunting monsters and leveling her skills, gets appraisal to LV4 (HP-bar etc) and discovers the centipede-horde. Again, no important changes compared to the web novel.

S5. A completely new chapter. Shun and Fey are alone and train their stats (+some explanations about stats and magic because the early Shun chapters have been skipped). After the training, Shun hums a japanese song. Fey starts talking to him in japanese (via telepathy). Turns out that she's another classmate called Shinohara Mirei. She was one of the girls who bullied Wakaba Hiiro, because the guy she was confessing to refused because he liked Wakaba.

e: 2 more chapters
7. Kumoko fights the snake and begins stockpiling other corpses while eating it. She reaches level 10 and evolves, and eats the rest of the food. When that's gone, she leaves her second home behind to continue exploring.
Interlude - A certain adventurer's soliloquy: A group of adventurers discovers discovers Kumoko's second home but after burning it, there's only a huge pile of bones/remains, including the snake's scales. They decide to track down the spider before becomes to strong to handle.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 10, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am loving ISSTH. Has anyone read ahead in the Chinese version? I want to know when the blood mastiff comes back. I miss the furry guy. I imagine he looks something like this in all his glorious red fur.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I like how Meng Hao has few qualms about taking on the most powerful people wherever he currently is, yet is too chaste to ever pursue a romantic relationship with any of his adoring fangirls. Also he's good friends with a celestial parrot that rapes animals.

The side characters in ISSTH are amazing and just continue to get better. Zhou Dekun's return to the story was full of hilarious dramatic irony with regard to the Meng Hao/Fang Mu divide. I also like that he managed to perfect the art of bullshitting. He reached such perfection that he accidentally deceived the eastern alchemsists.

Spoilers for anyone not current on Book 4

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

brainwrinkle posted:

I like how Meng Hao has few qualms about taking on the most powerful people wherever he currently is, yet is too chaste to ever pursue a romantic relationship with any of his adoring fangirls. Also he's good friends with a celestial parrot that rapes animals.

The side characters in ISSTH are amazing and just continue to get better. Zhou Dekun's return to the story was full of hilarious dramatic irony with regard to the Meng Hao/Fang Mu divide. I also like that he managed to perfect the art of bullshitting. He reached such perfection that he accidentally deceived the eastern alchemsists.

Spoilers for anyone not current on Book 4

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am loving ISSTH. Has anyone read ahead in the Chinese version? I want to know when the blood mastiff comes back. I miss the furry guy. I imagine he looks something like this in all his glorious red fur.

He comes back around chapter 530 or so.

edit: did you start reading from the paradise lost thread?

Algid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 12, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tamba posted:

Almost halfway through the Kumoko novel. The Kumoko story is still mostly the same, but things have started to diverge in the Shun storyline.

Thanks for the report! The new character and plot developments are really interesting. Now I'm even more excited for the next one and (hopefully) a future anime.

Regarding the changes: I wonder if Shinohara's connection to Wakaba influenced her becoming a monster rather than human and her late birth, or if it's part of earlier foreshadowing for Kumoko's identity? Although the latter seems unlikely since Kumoko and Shun's party have yet to interact from where the translations are.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's also little details in ISSTH like a bunch of the spells being poems. It also makes them hard to actually understand and translate because Er Gen obviously chose certain words to make it rhyme rather than make any sort of sense. Aside from the blood immortal spells, the demon sealing scripture is also a poem, if you keep the rhyme scheme (aabb) it's something like:

An ancient road, seek the heaving sealing ode,
great favor can be found through the entire world,
and though the nine mountains and seas may curse my path,
know that my boundless life shall be without surpass!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Kumoko author is back to his (her?) regular pace and released a bunch of new chapters :toot:

I'm done with the novel now, so here are the other chapters, but no real surprises there:

8.: The Adventurer party finds Kumoko, she runs away from them (and a some other monsters she encountered on the way) and falls down the hole. Alaba appears, but he ignores Kumoko.

Interlude - A certain adventurer's retreat: The adventurers finish off the monsters Kumoko used as a distraction, but decide not to pursue her any further because that speed isn't normal for a Taratekt. They leave the dungeon to report it to the adventurer's guild.

9.: Kumoko builds and expands her nest to climb up the hole. Alaba appears and destroys it.

S6: The same as S9 of the web novel, only with Fey: Shun, Katia and Fey talk about skills and Skill points. Also: Fey remembers what happened when she was still in the egg (i.e. a Spider was trying to eat her).

10.:Kumoko explores the lower level of the dungeon.

S7. The same as S10 of the Web novel (sword-training with Julius).

Interlude - The Hero and the Father-King: The same as J1 of the web novel (Julius and the king drink some wine).

11: Kumoko reaches the open area of the lower levels, gets Appraisal to lvl. 7 (skills visible) and gets some new skills.

S8: Sensei appears and talks to Shun, Katia and Fey.

12: Kumoko survives the monkey horde.

Epilogue: The hero Julius enters the Elro Labyrinth to defeat the spider there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 17, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Wuxiaworld started hosting the translation of Renegade Immortal which is an earlier work by the same author as ISSTH. I'm rather hopeful for it, though the initial arcs do bear a lot of similarities to how ISSTH started.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I wouldn't necessarily put too much hope into earlier Er Gen works. Xian Ni is a clusterfuck after about 100 chapters. ISSTH is amazing but it's his most recent series and shows his growth as a writer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just about the only nice thing I can say about xian ni is that it lacks a bunch of horrible staples of the genre. So it is inoffensive, but not actually good.

Also, I tried catching up on wu dong qian kun, another generic wuxia wn, but what do you know? Rape-based power-ups out of nowhere. It was a ghost that forced two people to rape each other which is weird as heck, but that is still plenty of reason for me to drop it. Oh well, it was middling at best, so no big loss.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Lord Fifth really is the best Xianxia sidekick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, someone has started translating that caretaker of limited lifespan weapons which are all girls ln that someone here did an effort post on way back when. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/shuumatsu-nani-shitemasu-ka-isogashii-desu-ka-sukutte-moratte-ii-desu-ka/

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Novel Summary posted:

Only a small group of young girls, the Leprechauns, can wield the ancient weapons needed to defeat these creatures. Into the girls’ unstable and fleeting lives, where a call to certain death could come at any moment, enters an unlikely character: a young man who lost everything five hundred years ago, the last living human awakened from a long, icy slumber.

Japan is weird. Very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Lord Fifth really is the best Xianxia sidekick.

“Struggle away, my darling! Struggle and beg for mercy under Lord Fifth’s pounding!”

• Locked thread