Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought one off etsy by "GameMatz" and I prefer it to the official mat. It's less slippery, and you can get prettier designs.

(I play with a bunch of friends at our houses and don't care about "tournament legal")

Here's it in action, my Gozanti pooped out a tie swarm in front of Super Dash who get stuck and obliterated:

I like the subtle grid pattern from the weave inside the material, makes it easy to line stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We found an extra wide yoga mat that worked good for 4x4 battles.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Is there an alternative to the large ship pegs I can buy? The large ships feel so wobbly. I'd love to be able to use the ones they have for huge ships or something similar.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Prairie Bus posted:

Is there an alternative to the large ship pegs I can buy? The large ships feel so wobbly. I'd love to be able to use the ones they have for huge ships or something similar.

Oddly enough I found the "cure" for wobbly peg on ships like slave 1 was to slot in the cardboard ID tabs so they sandwich the plastic peg

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Binayre Pirate (12)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 18

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Hmmm, seems pretty strong for 18 pts. Get into range 2. Target Lock and pop glitterstim. You've got an ~85% chance of getting 3 hits with each shot.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

hooman posted:

What's the verdict on the best battlemat for x-wang? I've seen a few at various prices but I'd like to hear what the thread's preferred option is.

They're skinny mousepads. I've played quite a few games on them at tournaments and such, and while they ARE a little more slippery than something like a yoga mat, it's better than a bare table, and I prefer them to the vinyl feeling third party stuff for sure. I also like the plain starfield version to most third party stuff, as having all sorts of bright and vibrant nebulae and stars and planets and crap makes the table look too busy, and can sometimes be confusing if you can't spot tokens and what have you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really think I like the rebel version with concussion missives a bit better.

Lt Blount, thread tracers
5x bandit squadron, concussion missiles and guidance chimps.

Blount gives everyone a lock, everyone else focuses and launches a massive barrage at the target, it dies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Run that in epic play, IMO. "I got this sweet Imperial Raider that I'm gonna-- ...aaaand it's dead."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Prairie Bus posted:

you can use the pegs and stands from huge ships

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 25

Why roll 3 die cluster missiles when you can roll 4 die cluster missiles!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hooman posted:

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 25

Why roll 3 die cluster missiles when you can roll 4 die cluster missiles!

Because now you have a 25 point Z-95 that still doesn't have more than 2 green dice and 4 health total.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

alg posted:

you can use the pegs and stands from huge ships

Be careful doing this, though. The Huge pegs are fractionally larger, and using them has caused the peg holes in some of my large ships to crack. Once they crack, they REALLY don't want to sit comfortably in their natural bases.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The two different lists I've wanted to run are similar, thematically, to that, I think.

Poe Dameron (36)
T-70 X-Wing (31) / Push the Limit (3) / BB-8 (2) / Integrated Astromech (0)

"Red Ace" (38)
T-70 X-Wing (29) / R2-D2 (4) / Comm Relay (3) / Autothrusters (2)

Jake Farrell (26)
A-Wing (24) / A-Wing Test Pilot (0) / Push The Limit (3) / Veteran Instincts (1) / Chardaan Refit (-2)

The alternative is to swap Jake Farrell for a Gold Squadron Y-Wing pilot:

Gold Squadron Pilot (26)
Y-Wing (18) / BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0) / Twin Laser Turret (6) / R3-A2 (2)
Here it is in Squad Builder

I'm not concrete enough on the rules of how BTL-A4 Y-Wing is supposed to work, but can't he stack stress on himself and an enemy ace at range 2-3 almost indefinitely? It's every time he "declares an attack," and yeah he has to keep you in his primary firing arc but I think that's two stress per turn until you either shake him off or one of you dies? It seems good hypothetically. Anyway, I only actually have the A-Wing, since my friend was generous enough to trade me his pilot cards and the mini (and some upgrades!) for the TIEs in my Core Set; he has zero interest in Rebels/Resistance, and I don't care enough about the TIE swarms to keep those two TIE/fos when I have a third and Omega Leader/Juke. (I stole the Comm Relay for "Red Ace," though.)

TKIY posted:

Sorry for all the noob questions but I'm going to throw in some cash on the imperial faction now.

Must have expansions after the starters? I was going to grab the aces, TIE expansion for Howlrunner and the Decimator but I'm not sure what else to grab.

Imperial Aces, TIE Interceptor, TIE/fo expansion - all three, I'd think, ideally - gives you access to Omega Leader, Juke, Comm Relay, Soontir Fel, two copies of Push the Limit, two copies of Royal Guard TIE. and three cool Interceptor miniatures with all different paint schemes, as well as the cooler-than-vanilla TIE/fo. If you want to swarm TIEs or TIE/fos you're probably better off just buying another Core set? I don't know. The Decimator looks really cool but I have yet to meet anyone at my game shop who likes it. It's Falcon, Firespray, or bust re: large ships, though I think I like the Outrider and the new JumpMaster looks good.

I also have it on good authority that X-Wing is a game about playing the ships you like, everything else can eat a dick.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

Because now you have a 25 point Z-95 that still doesn't have more than 2 green dice and 4 health total.

It's about trading positively piece wise, not having a long term winner. If you kill someone like Vader with 1 shot and have a Z-95 left over that's pretty good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

Gold Squadron Pilot (26)
Y-Wing (18) / BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0) / Twin Laser Turret (6) / R3-A2 (2)
Here it is in Squad Builder

I'm not concrete enough on the rules of how BTL-A4 Y-Wing is supposed to work, but can't he stack stress on himself and an enemy ace at range 2-3 almost indefinitely? It's every time he "declares an attack," and yeah he has to keep you in his primary firing arc but I think that's two stress per turn until you either shake him off or one of you dies? It seems good hypothetically.

It's an amazing piece of battlefield control and you have it exactly correct.

Most imperial Aces that get in your arc will die. It may take a turn or two, but when they're unable to take actions, they're dead and just don't know it. And even if they survive, it's because they were out of the fight for several rounds shaking off the stress.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The real difficulty with BTLA4 is that it's a Y wing with low PS trying to get stuff in arc. Its real job is to close off areas of the battlefield to aces, rather than to actually stress them. If you want to stress them, don't bother with the title. One extra stress a round is enough to gently caress with the likes of Soontir, and it's a lot easier to get it on with a 360 turret.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The stress bot requires arc anyway. I like not taking the title though because it allows you to keep walking stuff with your ion even outside arc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

The real difficulty with BTLA4 is that it's a Y wing with low PS trying to get stuff in arc. Its real job is to close off areas of the battlefield to aces, rather than to actually stress them. If you want to stress them, don't bother with the title. One extra stress a round is enough to gently caress with the likes of Soontir, and it's a lot easier to get it on with a 360 turret.

But you can't actually do that though, is the thing. R3-A2 specifies that the target has to be in your primary firing arc to slap a stress on someone. So whether you take the title or not you're still going to have to line up a firing arc solution on whoever you want to stress out, which means if you're gonna run a stresshog then you might as well take the turret unless you want the flexibility to switch between stress-dealer and turret platform (but not both at the same time).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

thespaceinvader posted:

That's sort of what I would use it for, if I could ever find a way to get the R3-A2; I have literally zero interest in the Rebel Transport, especially considering how many of them seem to be broken in the packaging or break easily (engines in particular). The Y-Wing shuts down a zone of the battlefield, crawling around with 1-speed moves to maximize his "control" of an area once he's where he wants to be. Ideally this boxes any Ace or high-value target into a smaller area, where he risks crashing into asteroids or other ships or, failing that, is caught in the open with Poe closing in on him.

Part of the reason why I've stayed with PTL/BB-8/IA Poe is because it's just fun, and discretionary movement and adjusting is useful as hell, particularly since there is a very good Kath Scarlet player locally who rolls something like six goddamn dice if you're behind her and close enough. (This same player runs Palob Godalhi in a Moldy Crow, which is super annoying for Poe, I might add.) Moreover, it is exactly cheap enough compared to VI/R5-P9/Autothrusters Poe that I can fit the tanky "Red Ace" and either PTL PS9 Jake Farrell or the Y-Wing zone control stress monster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

But you can't actually do that though, is the thing. R3-A2 specifies that the target has to be in your primary firing arc to slap a stress on someone. So whether you take the title or not you're still going to have to line up a firing arc solution on whoever you want to stress out, which means if you're gonna run a stresshog then you might as well take the turret unless you want the flexibility to switch between stress-dealer and turret platform (but not both at the same time).

Tekopo posted:

The stress bot requires arc anyway. I like not taking the title though because it allows you to keep walking stuff with your ion even outside arc.

Oh, yeah, so it does. My bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I just realized store champ season starts early this year. Next Saturday in fact. I will be able to get some practice games in but probably not many. There should be a regular tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

What's the strategy you would use as a Han+3Z player to beat Fel/Vader/Palpatine? I assume it's similar to the old Fel/Jax/shuttle list but they didn't have Palpatine back then and Vader is more durable. I assume you ignore the shuttle until the end like always - is this correct? It only affects a single die after all.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Had my first game today! Flew Soontir, Carnor, and Lorrir against a pair of Opportunist TIE Defenders armed with Heavy Laser Cannons. I flew pretty well, I thought--only hit an asteroid once, and was generally able to keep the Defenders in arc. The HLCs were absolutely brutal, though, especially with the generally poor rolls I was having; they stripped Carnor and Soontir of their stealth devices in short order, and on one particularly disastrous roll Carnor blew up in a single volley. Still, I had one of the Defenders down to 2 hull, and the other down to 1 when Soontir finally ate it (and that was only after he missed killing the one-hull Defender).

God drat this is a good game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

So I just realized store champ season starts early this year. Next Saturday in fact. I will be able to get some practice games in but probably not many. There should be a regular tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

What's the strategy you would use as a Han+3Z player to beat Fel/Vader/Palpatine? I assume it's similar to the old Fel/Jax/shuttle list but they didn't have Palpatine back then and Vader is more durable. I assume you ignore the shuttle until the end like always - is this correct? It only affects a single die after all.

Try to block with the z95s. Tokenless Aces are dead aces. Focus your fire on one target.

Barring that, hit the list in this order:
Vader first, then palps, then Soontir

You're never going to get through Soontir with palp and autothrusters with a turret unless it has no tokens. So unless you get an amazing shot at him, don't even bother.

Vader is much weaker defensively. You can take him out with a few good shots.

If you go for the shuttle first the aces will kill you. It is bait.

The shuttle can't turn so once Vader is dead you're much safer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Had my first game today! Flew Soontir, Carnor, and Lorrir against a pair of Opportunist TIE Defenders armed with Heavy Laser Cannons. I flew pretty well, I thought--only hit an asteroid once, and was generally able to keep the Defenders in arc. The HLCs were absolutely brutal, though, especially with the generally poor rolls I was having; they stripped Carnor and Soontir of their stealth devices in short order, and on one particularly disastrous roll Carnor blew up in a single volley. Still, I had one of the Defenders down to 2 hull, and the other down to 1 when Soontir finally ate it (and that was only after he missed killing the one-hull Defender).

God drat this is a good game.

Interceptor Aces owns.

I wanna try this one out, because in theory not only does it give you a pretty strong hedge against whiffed defense rolls, but it gives you an auto-crit on turns you fully arc-dodged. Captain Yorr can potentially help mitigate stress hogs. Plus the whole thing is so drat thematic you're basically putting a scenario on the table even though it's constructed play.

Captain Yorr (24)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Turr Phennir (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 100
[/url]

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

Try to block with the z95s. Tokenless Aces are dead aces. Focus your fire on one target.

Barring that, hit the list in this order:
Vader first, then palps, then Soontir

You're never going to get through Soontir with palp and autothrusters with a turret unless it has no tokens. So unless you get an amazing shot at him, don't even bother.

Vader is much weaker defensively. You can take him out with a few good shots.

If you go for the shuttle first the aces will kill you. It is bait.

The shuttle can't turn so once Vader is dead you're much safer.

Thanks for the advice. Good call on Palp's powerful ability with the Baron. I haven't played much against the list with school going on but some upstart imperial players are taking down local tourneys with the V/P/S list so it's time to show the classic isn't dead.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the advice. Good call on Palp's powerful ability with the Baron. I haven't played much against the list with school going on but some upstart imperial players are taking down local tourneys with the V/P/S list so it's time to show the classic isn't dead.

The first pass is going to make or break you. If you don't take out SOMETHING, it's all downhill.

Have you considered taking a stresshog instead of some Zs? Y-Wing + BTL title + Twin Laser Turret + R3A2

The stresshog shuts down the enemy aces hard

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Every time ive beaten that list or have been beaten playing it the shuttle has died first. You aren't cracking through 3 agil + evade/focus and palp with Zs without extreme luck. You can try the block Soontir strat but a good player will see that coming and just gently caress off out of danger, circle back and go again while DV and shuttle work your guys down. Depending how he sets up I would try to bait the Aces with Han then switch all your ships to focus the shuttle.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I now own 4 t70s. (2 tfa cores, 2 expansions) thinking of painting one black and orange. Tips?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What are the odds they'll make a miniature of Sabine's Tie Fighter?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seems unlikely IMO, but folks have done it as a custom. Here's one from the mods and repaints FB group:

Wet it up (your paint brush).

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I now own 4 t70s. (2 tfa cores, 2 expansions) thinking of painting one black and orange. Tips?

Priming black makes it go really fast at the expense of it being a total motherfucker to paint good clean and crisp orange over top of it. You could do the standard painting practice of layering up from like a grey with the orange markings, or alternatively if you're willing to take the effort to lay down a black basecoat you could prime the thing grey or white from the get go. Also the fairly sharp factory paint jobs also manage to mask that the models are a little bit mushy in terms of detail too, so in general a nice thin masking tape is your friend for the side stripes and stuff like the panels on the wings.

Here's my quick and dirty Black Leader that I skimped on the details with because the orange was driving me insane.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's incredible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Your quick and dirty is better than my honest effort right now. That's a drat fine ship.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I did a "quick and dirty" as well, but yours is way better.

The wash darkened the orange more than I wanted it to, but I don't really want to go through the effort of stripping and repainting it.

I might drybrush some silver onto the edges to go for a "battle damaged" look in an attempt to salvage it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That looks really good too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Holy balls. Played in a casual tournament and every list was either Decimator + Ace or Poe + Aces. One exception was a Palpmobile.

But I am bloody sick of these droid regen builds. Played against a Corran Horn + R2, Regen Poe list that was super annoying. As a noob, I'm at a loss as to how to consistently defeat these regen lists short of making my own regen list. I don't have the cards for that yet, but even if I did it's super boring.

My list was Poe + BB8 (which was awesome and fun) with Miranda + Recon Spec. + TLT and any time I got some hurt on one of the Aces, they'd run away from Miranda, recharge shields, and then come back in and kill her. Then I'm down to Poe and an A-wing... ugh... kind of frustrating.

Heh, there was a Decimator + Redline build that was pretty bad. Lost as bad as I think Decimator + Lambda would've done.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You're complaining about shield regen while running a ship with shield regen?

But the answer to fight it is basically alpha striking them or focusing them down in 1-2 rounds.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What's the deal with Heavy Laser Cannons? They seem ridiculously expensive, or is that 4th dice worth it?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Floppychop posted:

You're complaining about shield regen while running a ship with shield regen?

But the answer to fight it is basically alpha striking them or focusing them down in 1-2 rounds.

I wasn't sure what else to run, really.

I never did use the shield regen because by the time the shields got blown, she got nuked down.

But yeah, "shoot moar" is a pretty good tip, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

What's the deal with Heavy Laser Cannons? They seem ridiculously expensive, or is that 4th dice worth it?

The 4th die is worth it if you can fit them in.

• Locked thread