Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm really trying to get into this game, but holy poo poo, all of the Glenumbra zone is boring as all hell.

If you're DC, reroll to EP, then you can power through Glenumbra in like an hour just doing shards/dolmens/dungeons/zone quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

AD has the best story I think, if only because like 80% of it is all Valenwood so that's fairly consistent and it has a solid recurring cast of characters tying everything together.

EP has some good stuff, but you're jumping around to different provinces so much it loses a bit of cohesion. Also I always thought that the cast of people you meet early on in the game was kind of a lost opportunity, it feels like they were supposed to be recurring like the other factions but you kind of just...lose them sometime after Stonefalls with a few exceptions. There really isn't that much in the way of faction leaders with personality for EP too besides the Nord king (ALMSIVI isn't really just hanging around and the hist is like ???), and EP also suffers from, the feeling I've had, being the first zones they did and its also the faction whose quests have been tweaked the most after launch.

DC has a cool group of characters but the storyline is just, "Zombies. More zombies."

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can I get an invite to EP guild? Six Lord

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
I'm just a low level milk-drinker right now, but I would like an invite to the EP guild please. @spinecho

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

tgidieday posted:

It's pretty generic, because Bretons are pretty generic. You can try one of the other factions or soldier through to the cool redguard zones.
It's impressive how backstabbing half-elf witchmen torn between their old ways and their new knightly ways are always represented as the most boring race in the series.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I don't get the hate for the DC zones. Glenumbra and Rivenspire looked great. Alik'r Desert was alright, I guess, but got really boring after a few minutes. EP has the best visual variety between their zones, and AD is just dull as dirt after the starting area.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
On my way through gold now, and I have to agree with EP being the least coherent story. But prettiest and best-looking! DC seems to me to have the best characters, with Emeric and that playboy-dude. I also enjoyed Alik'r's smattering of weird quests, and they made the desert look really pretty in places.

Unrelated, anyone else having problems with FTC not registering hits correctly? Even when I seemingly weave perfectly (semi-heavy/force pulse, semi-heavy/crystal frag when it procs), it registers at most half the heavy attacks. Some very light testing suggests this is FTC's fault, as I see the health drop when the heavy attack hits.

e: Ah, it registers force pulse three times, on account of it being three-pronged. Nothing to see here.

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 3, 2016

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Tamriel has the most insane loving ghost problem. I can't go 30 paces with out some sprectal dumbass appearing and asking me to save his lineage from an ancient blood curse or some garbage. Ghost skipping out on old girl friends, ghost tricking dudes into thinking they're his dead wife, ghosts trapped for a keystone I think?, and ghosts just sort of ghosting it up.

Like drat. We need some Ghost busters in call in Tamriel stat.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
edit; found an answer on my own

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 3, 2016

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Hello goons please invite me to the guilds. @Tombruise

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I tried switching to OPENGL in the usersettings.txt but I cannot get the video to show for the game, I only have sound when I boot it up, anyone know a way to fix that? I am currently testing out D3D9 to see if it doesn't crash for me like D3D11 was, it's a real shame playing on D9 because the game looks pretty terrible compared to D11, if I could get OPENGL to work I'd be happy with that because it looks as good as D11. My videocard (gtx 760) has up to date drivers, this is the only game I own that crashes on me like this.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is it cool if I got to Wrothgar at left 49? I know that is scales, I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. I'm an Orc and its Orc land and I don't really feel like doing the Cadwell stuff right now

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

omg chael crash posted:

Is it cool if I got to Wrothgar at left 49? I know that is scales, I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. I'm an Orc and its Orc land and I don't really feel like doing the Cadwell stuff right now

It's not a bad time to do it, provided you did the level 44 stuff in Coldharbour (SW corner). Level 44 monsters won't give you experience in early vet ranks, but the rest of Coldharbour will.

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Got this as a gift - is there a goon presence on the EU servers? - also, is DC still the faction to pick?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Lairek posted:

Got this as a gift - is there a goon presence on the EU servers? - also, is DC still the faction to pick?

There's a few EU goons, but most of the goon action seems to be on NA Ebonheart.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
Have a question: My play style is more range vice melee. I created a high elf sorcerer and my plan is to go all magicka and rely on spell shields for pvp/pve survivability. Also destro staff for high elf innates. Comparing that to redguard stamina sorcerer that is mentioned in this thread - is the main difference just one is a range high dps sorcerer while the other is more melee? For those in the higher VR ranks that have played both - preference as to which is better in pvp?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
There are quite a few of us on the NA servers, along with some Asian/Aussian timezonerers. Dont know if there is a live EU guild at all. Join uuussss.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Holy god drat the drop rate for perfect roe sucks dick now. The least they could do is make fishing not the most awful and boring thing to do in this game.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Berke Negri posted:

AD has the best story I think, if only because like 80% of it is all Valenwood so that's fairly consistent and it has a solid recurring cast of characters tying everything together.

I got annoyed by how much of the Aldmeri Dominion's big quests revolve around other royals trying to usurp Queen Ayrenn. Yeah, I know altmer are dicks, but it gets tiresome the third time it happens.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I got annoyed by how much of the Aldmeri Dominion's big quests revolve around other royals trying to usurp Queen Ayrenn. Yeah, I know altmer are dicks, but it gets tiresome the third time it happens.
Counterpoint: you get to kill a lot of elves.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

AD has issues with visual sameness but the storyline feels a bit more interesting (IMO) than DC. DC is just undead undead undead help a noble ghost zombies undead undead undead. AD has some more story stuff going on, even if the zones blend into each other as one big forest. Also while both sides have pretty zones, early DC feels really high fantasy generic. I hate DC until the Redguard zones, when it opens up and becomes cool.

If I had to pick a faction for a newbie to experience the game with, it would be EP. Even if you don't have nostalgia for Morrowind/Skyrim, the zone variety makes it more visually interesting and fun to see during the first playthrough. Also while the story characters you meet are a bit less memorable, the quests themselves are still a lot of fun and the zones mostly wrap up their own self-contained stories cleanly.

I do wish King NordGuy was a bit less boring though, the other two faction leaders seem to have way more personality.

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
How's the latency like on the US servers if you're playing from EU (UK/VirginMedia) - does it pose a significant anoyance?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I just want to know where they dug up the voice actor for that nord king

Also, current dk magicka tank status:
sword/shield and bow
sword/shield and resto staff
sword/shield and INFERNO STAFF :getin:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Nord King is none other than crazy cosmonaut from Armageddon.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Did he do a bunch of heroin or something??

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Welp, not even a week into the new year and Sony's paperclip-and-rubber-band servers are down, and according to the login screen, ESO's servers are going down at 4AM. If I'm lucky, maybe there'll be a brief five minutes between those two outages, but I'm not holding my breath.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Isn't PSN under attack by some hacker group?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Alright, I abandoned my EU-server catte and switched to the US side. Invite @Ascalonian to the EP guild please.

e; got it

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 4, 2016

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

JackBadass posted:

Welp, not even a week into the new year and Sony's paperclip-and-rubber-band servers are down, and according to the login screen, ESO's servers are going down at 4AM. If I'm lucky, maybe there'll be a brief five minutes between those two outages, but I'm not holding my breath.

can PS4 and PC users play together?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm at a loss as to what I want to level up between tanky rear end DK that can survive forever and murder poo poo, night blade with medium armour and duel wield with life steal poo poo to murder everything and be able to solo, or melee sorcerer with medium armour. Someone help my indecisiveness. I've played all three characters a little bit and they're all fun to me, but I'd rather have one character I focus on than trying to level 3 at once.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay so killing undead and daedra, and closing anchor rifts, increase fighter's guild xp. But not using a fighter's guild skill? I don't have to put a few on my bar to help the process along, I just have to teleport between these three rifts again forever hoping to kill some daedra?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Uh no? There's tons of rifts around the world, the main quest is literally nothing but daedra hordes, and the fighter's guild is undead all the way.

Plenty of ways to level up FG, and that's before you even hit Coldharbour, which is like walking into a yard sale of daedra.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 5, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm at a loss as to what I want to level up between tanky rear end DK that can survive forever and murder poo poo, night blade with medium armour and duel wield with life steal poo poo to murder everything and be able to solo, or melee sorcerer with medium armour. Someone help my indecisiveness. I've played all three characters a little bit and they're all fun to me, but I'd rather have one character I focus on than trying to level 3 at once.

What's important is that you pick one and level it through veteran ranks until you have ~100 champion points or so. Champion points are account-wide, so leveling your other characters will be much easier. Also, you should be a stamina sorcerer, but that's just my dumb opinion.

Scyantific posted:

Plenty of ways to level up FG, and that's before you even hit Coldharbour, which is like walking into a yard sale of daedra.

The Elder Scrolls Online: A Yard Sale of Daedra

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

tgidieday posted:

Also, you should be a stamina sorcerer, but that's just my dumb opinion.
2 handed stamina sorcerer is very fun. I like flying at people with critical rush and going lightning form. Your post you linked me to was pretty good. I think half those skills are going to be end game skills because there's no real way to power level the fighter's guild tree. Which ultimate would you recommend until then? Can ultimates get morphed? Does dual-wield have a leap attack somewhere in a morphed skill that I can't see without either looking up a wiki or buying it to see?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The funny thing is I actually watched the Boondock Saints just to see if I had the phrasing right...

...I didn't .

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Krinkle posted:

2 handed stamina sorcerer is very fun. I like flying at people with critical rush and going lightning form. Your post you linked me to was pretty good. I think half those skills are going to be end game skills because there's no real way to power level the fighter's guild tree. Which ultimate would you recommend until then? Can ultimates get morphed? Does dual-wield have a leap attack somewhere in a morphed skill that I can't see without either looking up a wiki or buying it to see?

Quick disclaimer: my builds are optimized for endgame PvE where sustain is king and AOE is largely irrelevant. I use the same builds in PvP because I'm lazy, but they are not ideal. You really want to optimize for peak damage and crowd control in PvP so that you can dump out 30k+ damage before other players get a chance to do anything.

Ultimates can get morphed. I use flawless dawnbreaker (morph of dawnbreaker) for the passive weapon damage boost and to kill daedra/undead, and shooting star (morph of meteor) to clear out trash packs and replenish ultimate. Magicka builds, particularly those with non-elemental damage, should use dawnbreaker of smiting instead. PvP builds should consider ice comet (morph of meteor), exchanging that nice ultimate regeneration for more peak dps.

Keep leveling fighter's and mage's guild naturally (clear dolmens when you see them, get the LoreBooks addon if you don't have it). You should hit 10 around v4 and v8 respectively. In the meantime, all three of the regular sorcerer ultimates are pretty great, although maybe skip the storm atronach unless you really need a tank or you're running PvE with a group. If I had to pick just one, I'd say overload. The light attacks (not heavies) do crazy damage, which both PvP and PvE players will like. It acts like a third skill bar, remembering skills you drag to it while overload is active. And slotting overload will let you level up storm calling faster, which will get you to surge faster, which is where the build really starts coming together.

Lastly, critical charge (2h) and shield charge (s/b) are the only weapon-based gap closers (...I guess you could aim magnum shot backwards as well?), the others are all class skills. For a stamina sorcerer, shield charge and bolt escape are really non-starters, so you're stuck with critical charge. Which is great, because it's awesome.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tgidieday posted:

stamina sorcerer
I hope you're happy that like, everyone, is going to be stamina sorcerers because of you.

It's so much more fun than anything else I've tried so far :shrug:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I hope you're happy that like, everyone, is going to be stamina sorcerers because of you.

It's so much more fun than anything else I've tried so far :shrug:

If I can save just one person from having to go ranged for a boss fight, I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Why is bolt escape a non-starter? It stuns people and there's a dual wield skill that does bonus damage to people who are stunned? I wanted that to work out, somehow.

• Locked thread