Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Amazon won't send me a Blu Life One X to Canada because they are rear end in a top hat and my phone is now in a weird cycle of reboot death :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There's actually one in most Best Buys

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/locator/asc_locator.jsp

If you don't live in a complete poo poo city Samsung actually probably has a local warranty repair center. When the screen on my Tab S 8.4 LTE went out I just had to walk into a service center with it and they replaced it same day.

LG is poo poo though, when my device started having problems they said I had to mail it in, they wouldn't provide a loaner phone or cross ship and when I found out their repair center was like 50 minutes from my house, could I just take it there and have it fixed they said I could but it would still take at least 3 business days.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

I mean it only happens when I try to make phone calls after disabling all that.

When all that is running it happens so frequently I can't use the phone at all. Now that I've disabled everything but Swype I just can't use the phone as a phone. I try to load the dialer and I get the error message and the dialer crashes. (And I know it's not Swype, I got the error message as I was setting the phone up from a factory reset)

It lets me receive calls, just not make them.

What I'm saying is "Stop disabling all that poo poo then."

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

LastInLine posted:

What I'm saying is "Stop disabling all that poo poo then."

They said it happens the least when that stuff is disabled.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The rear end Stooge posted:

They said it happens the least when that stuff is disabled.

Ah okay I see. Well then make sure your contacts are backed up to Google and go to Settings > Applications > Contacts and clear the data for it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So, I have an LG sunrise (I'm poor, ok) that's running kit Kat 4.4.2 as it's max update. Recently I started getting the process.acore has stopped error...

Soft factory reset didn't fix it, hard factory reset didn't fix it, and so far I get it the least after I disabled gmail and auto sync.

Anything I can do, or is it time for a new phone? I just love this one because it's a 30 dollar tank. I drop it at least once a day, I've flushed it down the toilet, i lost the back to it and keep the battery in with duck tape. I'm rough as gently caress on it, and right now I'm a little annoyed that it's a software thing that's ruining the phone. Any other phone that labels itself as "life proof" is in the 300 or so range. I don't mind a new phone,I just don't want to spend more than 50 on a phone, and I refuse to do the contract thing again. I'm happy with my 5gigs for 45 a month.
After the factory reset, did you update your Google apps? If so you could try going into Apps settings and reverting them to factory version (and disable auto-update in Play Store).

But if your phone is crashing in the dialer app it sounds like it is FUBAR. Could have developed a hardware issue with RAM somewhere or something.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

LastInLine posted:

Ah okay I see. Well then make sure your contacts are backed up to Google and go to Settings > Applications > Contacts and clear the data for it.

Already tried that. Apparently it is working now after I got a missed call and hit the notification for it....

I love Android, but some of it's quirks are rather annoying.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So, I have an LG sunrise
This is the actual problem.

Stop buying cheap phones from Samsung/LG.

I've literally never heard of your phone, which basically means it is garbage.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Already tried that. Apparently it is working now after I got a missed call and hit the notification for it....

I love Android, but some of it's quirks are rather annoying.

Honestly I'd say the issue is the hard life you've given your phone, it's probably hosed.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like the pain isn't worth the $100ish it would be to buy a new phone. That much abuse and that old, I wouldn't even bother wanting to fix it.

Get a Moto E or something I dunno.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there much UI lag in the Z5? I know the Sony launcher isn't the best on my Z3C, but Nova runs like a champ and it's overall a nippy performer.

Pretty good so far. No interface lag and everything is zippy, even moreso with Nova. It's a little warm when doing a heap of stuff but not uncomfortably so. Weirdly, Facebook lags a bit when first run, which is a bit strange...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

iajanus posted:

Pretty good so far. No interface lag and everything is zippy, even moreso with Nova. It's a little warm when doing a heap of stuff but not uncomfortably so. Weirdly, Facebook lags a bit when first run, which is a bit strange...

Are you on 5.1.1 or the 6.0.1 Concept ROM?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought the concept rom was only on the z3 series?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Ordered a Moto Pure that was supposed to be delivered on 1/7/2016. It arrived on 12/31/2015 via FedEx, having been in Hong Kong the previous day. This was with standard shipping.

So far, very happy with it. I moved up from a 2013 Moto X, which is small enough to fit into the area of the screen on my new phone. It's very snappy, the display is incredibly bright, it charges faster, overall I just think it's great. Updated to Marshmallow right after I activated it, which was a simple process. The bumper case thing that it comes with seems... a little useless. The camera is leaps and bounds better than the 2013.

Will report back with the results of banging it on the corner of my desk should it start acting up.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 1, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Moto X 2015 still remains my favorite phone ever so far despite the fact that I also own a Nexus 5x.

I miss the wireless charging and larger battery of my Turbo a little bit, but honestly those are minor items in the grand scheme of things. The smaller battery is compensated for a lot by turbo charging and it seems like wireless charging is on the way out in general so probably not going to have much choice there in the long run.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Tunga posted:

This is the actual problem.

Stop buying cheap phones from Samsung/LG.

I've literally never heard of your phone, which basically means it is garbage.

I just looked it up:

Display 65K Color TFT, 480 x 320 pixels, 3.8" (HVGA)
Total Internal Memory 4 GB (up to 1.15 GB usable memory)
Camera Resolutions Up to 2048 x 1536 pixels (2048 x 1350 default)
Video Resolutions Up to 800 x 480 (default)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Three Olives posted:

I just looked it up:

Display 65K Color TFT, 480 x 320 pixels, 3.8" (HVGA)
Total Internal Memory 4 GB (up to 1.15 GB usable memory)
Camera Resolutions Up to 2048 x 1536 pixels (2048 x 1350 default)
Video Resolutions Up to 800 x 480 (default)

I was actually stunned this was a phone you could actually buy in 2015. 4.4.2 means it's impossible to secure and it's new enough that app publishers keep up for it (which means you'll run out of space just updating your apps!).

This is a phone that should not be. And given it doesn't show up on GSMarena or PhoneArena, I'm probably far from alone in thinking that.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It's literally a Tracfone prepaid guys. You can get it for 30$ maximum. It is not supposed to be a usable smartphone.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

5.1.1, it's done two software updates since I got it a few weeks ago.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hahahahaha, holy poo poo, I just realized that's the phone my little brother has. It's a stopgap, but still a garbage one.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So I have an old Gen 1(2012) Nexus 7 tablet that I recently started using again. Unfortunately as I was trying to update I put the tablet on 5.1.1, which has really annoying lag. I've unlocked the bootloader to run custom ROMs except I have no idea about what is good or not and looking at xda and trying to find ROMs for a tablet that has no subforum (only the 2013 version does) makes it all pretty annoying. I don't want to really deep dive into which ROMs are the best, I'd just like one that runs on this hardware relatively well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Strong Sauce posted:

So I have an old Gen 1(2012) Nexus 7 tablet that I recently started using again. Unfortunately as I was trying to update I put the tablet on 5.1.1, which has really annoying lag. I've unlocked the bootloader to run custom ROMs except I have no idea about what is good or not and looking at xda and trying to find ROMs for a tablet that has no subforum (only the 2013 version does) makes it all pretty annoying. I don't want to really deep dive into which ROMs are the best, I'd just like one that runs on this hardware relatively well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Well, Nexus devices are usually as close to AOSP as Google will allow, but it's no longer supported on account of being old by consumption slate standards; if that's not enough I guess CyanogenMod is the least terrible option?

Realistically we know enough about the OG Nexus 7's hardware to know it's on borrowed time, so hopefully it's a stopgap until you can pick up an unreasonably large phone or an nVidia K1 or something.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

Nothing runs well on a 2012 N7 any more because the NAND is garbage and turns to poo poo after a couple of years. But if you must I'd just stick official 4.4 on it and don't update it again.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just want to use it to browse the web and maybe stream some music off google play or spotify. Is there a way to just revert back to 4.4 or would going to CyanogenMod be better?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Strong Sauce posted:

I just want to use it to browse the web and maybe stream some music off google play or spotify. Is there a way to just revert back to 4.4 or would going to CyanogenMod be better?

You COULD just use the 4.4.4 factory image, but then you get to fight the update prompt, and if I remember correctly it's pretty persistent.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Unfortunately the 5x's are garbage, they overheat, lag, and have a bunch of other hardware issues I don't see getting fixed in any way.

Thanks! I just got mine :facepalm:

Guess that's what you get for expecting a nexus phone to be at least solidly configured if not the greatest flagship on the market.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Great Enoch posted:

Guess that's what you get for expecting a nexus phone to be at least solidly configured if not the greatest flagship on the market.

Relax, the Nexus 5x is not garbage. It's just a bit overshadowed by the Nexus 6P which came out at the same time and is excellent.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone here that has a Moto X Pure comment on streaming music through Bluetooth? How's the performance, does it stutter/skip/pop when doing so or is it fine?

E: asking because I've owned multiple Motorola phones that seem to have trouble streaming music over Bluetooth, and Google searches are telling me the X Pure has trouble also sometimes. I was going to get the phone but this would steer me away from it.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone have a favorite clock widget that allows me to set a city for each individual clock and let's me place each one wherever I want on the screen?

The ones I've downloaded are either hideous or don't let me move individual clocks around.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Butt Savage posted:

Does anyone have a favorite clock widget that allows me to set a city for each individual clock and let's me place each one wherever I want on the screen?

The ones I've downloaded are either hideous or don't let me move individual clocks around.
I've been using Simple World Clock Widget for about a year or so and I love it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chibatching.worldclockwidget

Each clock is a widget that's completely customizable, so you can pick a time zone, call it whatever you want, and freely adjust its font sizes and colors. Then you just move it around like a typical widget. And if you want you can set each widget to launch an app when you tap it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone here that has a Moto X Pure comment on streaming music through Bluetooth? How's the performance, does it stutter/skip/pop when doing so or is it fine?

E: asking because I've owned multiple Motorola phones that seem to have trouble streaming music over Bluetooth, and Google searches are telling me the X Pure has trouble also sometimes. I was going to get the phone but this would steer me away from it.

Haven't had an issue. Then again I haven't had an issue with this on any Motorola phone going back to the OG Droid.

I've had a poo poo ton more issues with Bluetooth with nexus devices.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Great Enoch posted:

I'm really happy with mine and I'm sure you will be too

gently caress that guy

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I have my interruptions settings to allow messages from starred contacts, bug when my wife texts me in the morning to come get the baby, I don't get any vibration or sound. This is on a 2014 Moto X running 5.1. Any ideas what's going on?

I still have this problem.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I still have this problem.

Same, but on a 6p on 6.0.1. It's annoying. It's been like that for a while.

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Works like a champ for me.

John

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use it everyday in my Santa Fe. The only annoyance I have, don't know if it's my car or Android, if I'm playing something in Pocketcasts and stop the car. When I get back in and reconnect the majority of the time it will start Poweramp. I've checked settings on everything about resuming via disconnect, etc so don't know what the issue is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Thanks, I really should take a video of my Moto G struggling to play music over Bluetooth some time because it's quite pathetic.

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

calandryll posted:

I use it everyday in my Santa Fe. The only annoyance I have, don't know if it's my car or Android, if I'm playing something in Pocketcasts and stop the car. When I get back in and reconnect the majority of the time it will start Poweramp. I've checked settings on everything about resuming via disconnect, etc so don't know what the issue is.

Check the poweramp settings. It's in headset/bluetooth. Uncheck resume on bluetooth.

John

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've had mine for a few days and I stream a lot of Spotify in my car. Haven't noticed any drops or stutters or problems at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks, I really should take a video of my Moto G struggling to play music over Bluetooth some time because it's quite pathetic.

My 2013 Moto X has always been pathetic with struggling to play music over bluetooth.

Like, it will work fine if nothing else is going on, but if the phone tries to do more than one thing at a time it starts skipping and stuttering like crazy. For example, if I start music sitting in my driveway while connected to WiFi, as I pull away and switch over to 4G there's a bunch of stuttering. Or, if I try loading up GMaps, a bunch of stuttering. 25% of the time, it acts like its playing music or a podcast...the time stamp keeps advancing...but nothing actually plays until I toggle BT on and off. Just a lot of circumstances where it doesn't work smoothly.