Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can fix it by lowering the clock or bumping voltage sometimes, but since you already have a working replacement and presumably you are mad at that card and possibly asus, that is probably the best choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just as a pure geek exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI

* 2X Xeon E5-2697 V3
* ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
* 256 GB of ECC RAM
* SEVEN FURY NANOS, WITH WATERBLOCKS.

Idle power consumption is 250W, 1539W under load.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 3, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think $30,000 is too much for that.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Sormus posted:

So, my GTX780 seems to have bit the dust and I need a replacement card. I am currently using a backup HD6850 I had still tucked away just for these kinds of situations.

What would be the most sane replacement?

970 and wait for Kepler?
Spaceheateresque 300W AMD card?

Sormus posted:

might be important note: I will be warrantying the card so i'll get some sort of store credit towards replacement. I just have no idea what they will consider "equal", so I dont know what kind of credit I'm looking at.

Sormus posted:

Do note that they can and will offer AMD cards as equivalent. However, I am hoping they offer a 970 so i can pay the price-difference for a 980.
Would mean I'd get a 980 for 200€
Ending this incase anyone was left hanging:
I had exactly the same issues with the card as Goon Matchmaker had. Short gaming always led to a crash. Gpu fans at 100% and "No Signal" on display, sometimes just giving a BSOD or DirectX "Driver Removed" error.
Returned card to shop I purchased it from and they re-verified it was a hardware issue.
Shop replaced card with MSI GTX 970.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* 2X Xeon E5-2697 V3
* ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
* 256 GB of ECC RAM

Mmmm, I sure do love overloading my 15A circuits and causing the breaker to poo poo itself.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Built a new rig and stuck my old 970 in it for now. Went looking on ebay for a cheap replacement card for my old rig when all of a sudden I stumbled onto this beauty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palit-970-gtx-/252234010620?hash=item3aba518ffc:g:W1wAAOSwv-NWZu8r

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the cheapest GTX 970 with better (less noisy) than stock cooling?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Mmmm, I sure do love overloading my 15A circuits and causing the breaker to poo poo itself.

If you have $30k worth of hardware i would hope you would have at least 1 or 2 230volt circuits.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kazinsal posted:

Jeez is electrical wiring in America really that poo poo.
1.5kW draw is babys play anywhere else.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A 120V/15A circuit should deliver 1.8 kW with no issue. If they're throwing breakers at 1.5 their wiring is probably crap (very possible, a lot of people have sub-code wiring).

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
wait, 1.5kw can trip a breaker in america? I guess my 4kw heater would blow up an american house

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jeez is electrical wiring in America really that poo poo.
1.5kW draw is babys play anywhere else.

It's the lovely 110V that causes the problem.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HalloKitty posted:

It's the lovely 110V that causes the problem.

yeah having 230v owns

it owns a lot less when wired on a ring main

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cat doter posted:

wait, 1.5kw can trip a breaker in america? I guess my 4kw heater would blow up an american house

It shouldn't no. Only if something is not wired properly.

You can also have 20amp breakers or 230v

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I've got a HD 7870 I'd like to upgrade, games are starting to leave it behind but I have no idea how big the leap is any more within the same price bracket. Would a 4GB version of either a R9 380 or GTX 960 give a big enough improvement over it at 1080p to justify getting an upgrade or do I need to go up a level to see a difference (390/970)? Ideally I'd like to keep my budget below £200.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
...and as someone who has worked in a lot of houses, there is a lot of shockingly (no pun intended) bad wiring out there. Throwing a breaker a little too easily would be the least of your problems.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cancelbot posted:

I've got a HD 7870 I'd like to upgrade, games are starting to leave it behind but I have no idea how big the leap is any more within the same price bracket. Would a 4GB version of either a R9 380 or GTX 960 give a big enough improvement over it at 1080p to justify getting an upgrade or do I need to go up a level to see a difference (390/970)? Ideally I'd like to keep my budget below £200.
If you want an appreciable difference, a 290/390/970 is the way to go. Check for deals!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cat doter posted:

Most home circuits here are 15A@110v, so 1650 watts maximum. :smith:
Some circuits might be on 20amp breakers, and things like electric stoves/ranges, electric water heaters, or heaters will be on much higher amperage circuits (40-50), or just hooked up with 220v.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Linus didn't say anything about breakers tripping? Then again I'm sure they're running 20A circuits in that office.

O noes, my $30,000 monster novelty computer might not work. Guess I'm screwed since I spent all my money and can't have a new circuit run

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

It shouldn't no. Only if something is not wired properly.

You can also have 20amp breakers or 230v

Yeah I live in a 100-year-old apartment building in Boston with its original wiring, the breaker will easily trip around 1400-1500.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I live in a 100-year-old apartment building in Boston with its original wiring, the breaker will easily trip around 1400-1500.

A 15 amp breaker? Because it sounds like you have a 12a breaker, or a faulty 15a

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* 2X Xeon E5-2697 V3
* ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
* 256 GB of ECC RAM

My god 1500W power consumption...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

A 15 amp breaker? Because it sounds like you have a 12a breaker, or a faulty 15a

Probably a 12a breaker then, so the whole building doesn't burn down. I was just illustrating the point that US can have some janky wiring.

Luckily I got that Skylake action so I can to run the air conditioner and the PC at the same time :cool:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwaihir posted:

Most home circuits here are 15A@110v, so 1650 watts maximum. :smith:
Some circuits might be on 20amp breakers, and things like electric stoves/ranges, electric water heaters, or heaters will be on much higher amperage circuits (40-50), or just hooked up with 220v.

Zero VGS posted:

Don Lapre posted:

Most circuit breakers (anything you put in a home) will be "80% derated", meaning 15A is the maximum peak current, and they can only carry 80% of that (12A) continuously.

So the most you can continuously pull at 110V is 1320W. If you're actually pulling 1400-1500W at the wall and your voltage is that droopy, that explains why you're tripping breakers.

It sounds dumb but it's advantageous to do this way because if you had 100%-rated breakers you need heavier wires that are rated to handle the higher temperature that result from continuous high-power operation. It's all good though, the contractor got to save an extra $100 when he wired your house.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 3, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

North American wiring is an archaic relic of the days from when we couldn't standardize for poo poo. A friend of mine lives in a condo (about 40 years old) where the lights dim if he turns his laser printer on.

Most homes don't have 20 amp outlets/circuits, and there are generally only two or three 230V outlets (refrigerator, electric stove/oven, laundry).

Electrical is installed by idiots as well it seems. The breaker panel in the townhouse I live in is loving upside down and apparently has been for 20 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

North American wiring is an archaic relic of the days from when we couldn't standardize for poo poo. A friend of mine lives in a condo (about 40 years old) where the lights dim if he turns his laser printer on.

Most homes don't have 20 amp outlets/circuits, and there are generally only two or three 230V outlets (refrigerator, electric stove/oven, laundry).

Electrical is installed by idiots as well it seems. The breaker panel in the townhouse I live in is loving upside down and apparently has been for 20 years.

Laser printers draw a tremendous amount of power when they heat up which is why. Its actually not uncommon at all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I lived in a house with two glass fuse boxes and a breaker box all daisy chained together. The wiring was run higgeldy-piggeldy and supported as minimally as possible from the joists. A minor miracle it never burned around us :v:

I would imagine if you live in a much older house the copper is starting to oxidize in earnest and voltage droop is a real concern.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I lived in a century-old house that originally had knob-and-tube wiring (thankfully replaced).

You had wires with a single layer of lightweight cloth insulation, suspended from touching anything by the "knobs" and insulated by the "tubes" as they passed through joists in the walls. They banned using it in the 50s or 60s because the insulation had a delightful tendency to fray, particularly if you ever cut it open to splice in a new connection. But as long as you never (admit you're) rewiring anything, it's perfectly legal to still have that wiring in use today.

You're also not allowed to reinsulate over the top of K&T, because it's designed to dissipate heat to the surrounding air. Guess what everyone's doing nowadays to cut their heat bills?

Pleasant dreams, all :unsmigghh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
We had some blokes (I'd be hesitant to call them electricians) out from the council to install a new breaker box thing and update the plug sockets.

Not only did they do stuff like leave wires just loose and roaming around in the sockets (and a couple with the earth wired up to the live???), they fitted the new board directly over a leather jacket hanging up under the stairs. Like screwed through the leather directly over the top.

Oh and a live junction underneath the leaking bath they just fitted but hey ho.

In other news I got my 560ti up to 950mhz core and life is grand! I'd never experienced games at a solid 60fps and its like a buttery new experience :) granted do far I've only been running ksp and kotor2, but still. I never thought I'd have a system powerful enough to get kotors janky-rear end engine running that good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pleasant dreams, all :unsmigghh:
Is it wrong that I'm looking at the wood in that pic and thinking it is probably gorgeous?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Probably, but we all know how much you like old wood

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cancelbot posted:

If you don't mind a stock blower, I have a 290(x) looking for a new home.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Laser printers draw a tremendous amount of power when they heat up which is why. Its actually not uncommon at all.

Yup, my parent's house wired in the 90s (and my dad is an EE and micromanaged all the electrical/networking) still dimmed when you'd turn on a laser printer.

Related: the laser printer was the straw that broke the circuit breaker's back in the only time I've ever popped one in that circa-1900 house (was also running an amp, a PC, and an electric heater on the circuit). Someone printed and oh hey I'm on the UPS now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm probably grabbing a 970, what brand should be the best combination of reliable and quiet? I am a bit wary of MSI after they gave me a DOA motherboard which was a horrible experience.

This one looks good for reliability but reviews say it is loud.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have this one: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAAS65605&name=Asus-STRIX-GTX-970-DirectCU-II-Overclocked-4GB-GDD

It's silent at idle and quiet under load so no complaints there. No comment on support (not even applicable here as I'd just return to the retailer)

Interesting you had issues with MSI, generally they're the recommended brand when it comes to support.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
This makes me thankful for the completely over the top building codes we have where you have to have 3 seperate 2.5mm^2 conductors per 16A group even though the next country over with their lax standards think you can get away with 1.5mm^2 in a all in one cable.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm probably grabbing a 970, what brand should be the best combination of reliable and quiet? I am a bit wary of MSI after they gave me a DOA motherboard which was a horrible experience.

This one looks good for reliability but reviews say it is loud.

ASUS would be next in line for those criteria, generally. MSI ones are considered very good though for noise and cost

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So apparently AMD is naming the overall upcoming GPU uarch as Polaris, and they've released several slides. This one caught my attention and seems kind of confusing.

Are they talking about total system draw here, because 140W for a GTX 950 sounds really high, but total draw also seems rather low with the mentioned 4790K and 16GB DDR4-2600. Maybe they overclocked the hell out of the 950?

Couple other slides:

I don't know how much of this is actually worth thinking about, but it seems AMD is scheduling release of Arctic Islands/Polaris some time Q2 2016, likely ahead of Nvidia. Thus AMDs quarter by quarter release schedule this year is Q1 AM4 motherboards and Excavator Desktop, Q2 Arctic Islands, Q3??? (FP4 mobile?), Q4 Zen initial release.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nvidia tends to take their kicks in the pants well, and Pascal has been announced for a long while now.

Im expecting some kind of release slightly prior to AMD's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think I'd be wary of any claims until reviewers get hands on the cards. The last time the Furies were released, the X version was beating the 980Ti soundly in every game according to AMD, which it turned out to not be the case in actual real life.