Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Are we talking about regular force limit or mercenary force limit? Because I didn't even realize that there was a hard force limit on mercenaries until today, when as Spain I decided that my income was so high that I might as replace all of my regular infantry with mercenaries

It used to be that +50% available mercenaries gave +6 force limits. Now it just increases the amount of mercs you can hire and once that starts to matter you've already won the game IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I just want to take a moment to rant about how criminally loving incompetent the military AI is. I've been trying over and over again to unite Japan as Uesugi, but I just can't manage to do it in ironman because the only way to win is to build a coalition of allies that outweighs the shogun and his vassals... which means you have to rely upon the military AI not to chase itself into a corner and leave you exposed. Just loving link up with me at the start and the war would be won, but nooooope.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That's a neat trick Aragon.

In another game of mine, I called in France against the pope and gave them both Maine from the pope's ally Brittany and Avignon from the pope himself. I separate peaced out Holland who did not border France and whose territory France had no claims on. France got mad at me after the war for not giving them territory like I promised. Has anyone else seen something like this?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

Forcing religion changes their Staate Religion, in this case Utrecht probably didn't convert and stayed Catholic. Afaik this can happen with the events for the AI.

This is exactly what happened. Thanks!

I'm guessing I just have to wait for them to break protestant (I mean how long can a catholic OPM last as a center of reformation)

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Hmm. Just realized that taking Exploration first for the colonist as Ethiopia might be viable now. It used to be pointless because you'd spend most of your manpower fighting 6-7k stacks of natives, but with the Peaceful Coexistance policy you don't have to worry about that anymore. So this lets you fabricate claims on Ajuuraan much earlier than you normally can, what with the tendency for Hejaz, Adal, and one other random Sunni country to ally eachother right away. Also doesn't delay you second idea set too much because you aren't spending it all on Religious really early. Plus you can get started on conversion with Clergy estate, unlike before when you really really needed Religious to do anything.

This was my first idea choice in my Prester John run which I just got and am still working on, and it works really well. It also can let you start colonizing down towards Mutapa to grab their gold mines to really kickstart your economy. Between developing those and filling out exploration ideas, I was at diplo tech 3/4 for an extremely long period of time. It actually helped out with westernizing my Brazilian colony I made next to France was 5 diplomacy tech behind them. I've ended up so far doing Exploration-Economic (for the inflation reduction, Admin may have been better)-Quantity-Offensive-Expansion. The one problem I would say with having exploration combined with low diplomacy tech is that your colonies are going to grow rather painfully slow. I found myself taking the colonize X missions just to help out with the colonial enthusiasm modifiers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh god this WC attempt is the loving worst. The tedium of winning lightning wars and then just sitting around waiting for cores has set in hard, but I'm starting to worry I'm not going fast enough. Haven't even touched the new world yet, though if it comes to it it shouldn't be too difficult to truce break my way through it.

Most annoyingly about half of Europe plus Orissa is content to sit in a coalition against me, even though I have triple the army of the next closest power (Aragon), who is in turn double everyone else.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 3, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you've got nearly half the game yet (the half with admin efficiency etc) and you've conquered 2/3rds of the old world, what are you complaining about.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
besides the tedium.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Oh god this WC attempt is the loving worst. The tedium of winning lightning wars and then just sitting around waiting for cores has set in hard, but I'm starting to worry I'm not going fast enough. Haven't even touched the new world yet, though if it comes to it it shouldn't be too difficult to truce break my way through it.

Most annoyingly about half of Europe plus Orissa is content to sit in a coalition against me, even though I have triple the army of the next closest power (Aragon), who is in turn double everyone else.

I gave up on my Kazan WC when I remembered why I've never been able to finish a world conquest in any paradox/CA game. What I did to get rid of the coalitions though is build the army force limit modifying building in every one of my non-tribe provinces. When I only had around 300k troops all of Europe/China was in coalition against me but when I hit around 600-700k they all left which doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think even more countries would join.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Speaking of conquering, I think I'm on my way to a second failure for Jihad.

Persia is allied with Russia. Songhai is cockblocking lots of Africa, and they've been a protectorate of Spain for pretty much the whole game. Ottomans are my allies. I westernized 20 years ago. I only have 120 years left and I only have 198 provinces. That's almost 3 provinces a year if I want to hit 500. I'm expanding in Indonesia right now, both with military and colonies.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I'm bad, which is part of the explanation. Every war drains my manpower, and I can't really figure out why. I usually pick fights with people I'm equal with, in the beginning of the game I never have the MP to get military ideas if I don't want to lag behind tech wise. Every skirmish loses me 10k troops and I never do the obvious things like fight in mountains, across rivers, etc. My army compositions has been about 15/5/15. I think the fact that every war is a huge commitment is really hurting me, but I don't know what else to do. This achievement breaks my balls.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trujillo posted:

I gave up on my Kazan WC when I remembered why I've never been able to finish a world conquest in any paradox/CA game. What I did to get rid of the coalitions though is build the army force limit modifying building in every one of my non-tribe provinces. When I only had around 300k troops all of Europe/China was in coalition against me but when I hit around 600-700k they all left which doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think even more countries would join.
Yeah, I just managed to bash the commonwealth by attacking an ally outside the coalition, and that seemed to scare them all into leaving, which is absurdly counterintuitive.

PleasingFungus posted:

you've got nearly half the game yet (the half with admin efficiency etc) and you've conquered 2/3rds of the old world, what are you complaining about.

:ssh: It's mostly the tedium.

But also having never done this, I don't know what to expect for progress. The imgur post that got me started on this whole thing finishes by 1701, so I've feel like I'm really behind the whole time, even though that leaves a whole century and a bit still. I'm so far into this, I really want to actually do it so I can never do it again.

At this stage I'm big enough that I can field an unbeatable army, and I can stifle all unrest in new provinces just by raising autonomy, so at least there's no rebels to deal with.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 3, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Node posted:

Persia is allied with Russia. Songhai is cockblocking lots of Africa, and they've been a protectorate of Spain for pretty much the whole game. Ottomans are my allies. I westernized 20 years ago. I only have 120 years left and I only have 198 provinces. That's almost 3 provinces a year if I want to hit 500. I'm expanding in Indonesia right now, both with military and colonies.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I'm bad, which is part of the explanation. Every war drains my manpower, and I can't really figure out why. I usually pick fights with people I'm equal with, in the beginning of the game I never have the MP to get military ideas if I don't want to lag behind tech wise. Every skirmish loses me 10k troops and I never do the obvious things like fight in mountains, across rivers, etc. My army compositions has been about 15/5/15. I think the fact that every war is a huge commitment is really hurting me, but I don't know what else to do. This achievement breaks my balls.

You and Ottos could probably take Persia and Russia couldn't you?

Also try using more merc infantry if you're having manpower problems. Alternatively, although probably a bit late now, take quantity. 50% manpower makes a huge difference when manpower recovery is based off total manpower, and then you get 20% recovery rate on top of that.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 3, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Persia is often a beast in it's own right. They got a lot more powerful with the development revamp in CS I think. They can often go toe to toe with the Ottos. But I agree that that's probably where you should have concentrated. On the other side is India, which is always super easy to conquer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Wafflecopper posted:

You and Ottos could probably take Persia and Russia couldn't you?

Also try using more merc infantry if you're having manpower problems. Alternatively, although probably a but late now, take quantity. 50% manpower makes a huge difference when manpower recovery is based off total manpower, and then you get 20% recovery rate on top of that.

if I try again, I'll probably take quantity early. The first two ideas like you mentioned are gigantic. Do you have other idea group suggestions? Religious is nice, but I haven't gotten too much use out of Deus Vult, and I could deal with all the east African gold mines with Economic.

Should I just give up now and restart? 300 provinces in 100 years, even with adaptability and admin efficiency 2 just seems unrealistic. I'm willing to give this one last attempt if someone can just flat out tell me which ideas to pick and in which order.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 3, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

idk i've never tried that achievement or a wc, just offering general advice based on the problems you'd mentioned

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo. Level 8 fortresses for Muslims are loving Star Destroyers.

I have one on Hormuz and it is literally bigger than the island.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Node posted:

if I try again, I'll probably take quantity early. The first two ideas like you mentioned are gigantic. Do you have other idea group suggestions? Religious is nice, but I haven't gotten too much use out of Deus Vult, and I could deal with all the east African gold mines with Economic.

Should I just give up now and restart? 300 provinces in 100 years, even with adaptability and admin efficiency 2 just seems unrealistic. I'm willing to give this one last attempt if someone can just flat out tell me which ideas to pick and in which order.

Exploration - Expansion - Quantity is probably by far the easiest way to balloon. Colonize the african coast first to cut euros off from asia, then focus on colonizing SEA. It'll net you a ton of provinces as well as opening up a bunch of areas to expand in that are far from eachother, avoiding coalitions and letting you beat up on countries with lower miltech.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

Exploration - Expansion - Quantity is probably by far the easiest way to balloon. Colonize the african coast first to cut euros off from asia, then focus on colonizing SEA. It'll net you a ton of provinces as well as opening up a bunch of areas to expand in that are far from eachother, avoiding coalitions and letting you beat up on countries with lower miltech.

Interesting strategy. I fear about the economy situation, the Arabian Peninsula is absolute trash when it comes to that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Node posted:

Interesting strategy. I fear about the economy situation, the Arabian Peninsula is absolute trash when it comes to that.

You'll need to beeline Mutapa pretty hard. As soon as you can, get a colony down next to them and drown them in mercs, grabbing all their gold mines. Without them, you just won't be able to sustain both a large enough army to murder everyone while at the same time running max colonies.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

Speaking of conquering, I think I'm on my way to a second failure for Jihad.

I am also attempting Jihad but I think I share your situation in that I am way too slow. I got 80 years left and have around 300 provinces. I think my big mistake was that I took economic instead of admin, took influence too late and that I fell too far behind on tech, so I only have one level of admin efficiency and no advanced CBs yet. Anyhow, really fun achievement to attempt and I may make another try later on. A bit burnt out right now though.

Other fun stuff is the complete collapse of the Ottomans, which I had absolutely nothing to do with and crazy powerful Spain who has had Portugal in an PU for quite some time.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
You and the Ottomans should have a pretty good run at beating the Persians and Russians. Once you crack them open make sure to annul the alliance and then proceed to tear Persia apart again and again. Also, rip apart SE Asia. The place is a joke and you can drop colonies down to give you a toe-hold in there. In fact, you probably should have done that sooner because there's an easy path to big money by taking the Zanzibar node and then going over to Malacca and the nodes that feed that. Bengal ad Gujarat too, don't let those Indians steal all your hard-earned ducats. With Imperialism go right into them like a mad dog going for a steak.

edit: You can probably also take on Spain unless they have good allies, but that war will be a tedious pain in the rear end so I don't blame you. Just look for whoever is weak and rip them apart. And if you do fight Spain make sure to kick them out of Zanzibar and the Cape too. You should be able to get those on the cheap.

It might look tough, but what you have to do is suck it up and eat a tough war every now and again, even if it take ten years to fight it out. Just make sure that you cripple them in the peace deal.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 3, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh god, something really screwed up just happened in my "Spain is the Emperor" game...

France was down to roughly 12 provinces + a big colonial nation in Mexico, and I decided that I wanted to carve off some of that territory so that I could also go for the achievement for having Spanish Mexico + Peru + etc. as colonial nations (I already had the rest, just needed Mexico). So I quickly occupy all of France's territory, pretty quickly they're at 100% warscore and I start figuring out what I want to grab. I basically skipped all of the little single-island crap that they'd colonized, grabbed Armour to Caux for myself, grabbed everything in Mexico except for 4 inland provinces (so that France could continue colonizing inland for me, if they so chose). Racked up to 100% warscore and hit submit

Suddenly France doesn't exist anymore. The game decided to not only give me the 3 French territories + most of Mexico, it gave me all of France's territory, including provinces that I didn't select (and couldn't possibly have selected anyway, for warscore reasons). Curiously, it didn't give me those 4 inland French Mexico provinces, so French Mexico exists but France doesn't.

Now I'm at 250% overextension, whereas I had planned to only be at 50% overextension. One option would be to release territory... but I can't do that right now because right before I sent my terms to France, I entered into a succession war with Austria over Russia. So now I'm in a race to finish the succession war before my country falls apart, I guess?

e: Oh, it looks like most of the provinces in the region also changed to Spanish names. So taking too much French territory must have triggered a renaming of all of the provinces in the French region, but then the newly renamed provinces didn't have an owner so it just gave them to me or something? That kind of sucks

e2: Welp, so much for being Holy Roman Emperor; there are 500k rebels running around in the Iberian peninsula and they're hell-bent on establishing a constitutional republic.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 3, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, so the Spanish empire has completely collapsed and the dozens of rebel groups have had their demands enforced simultaneously. The monarch was removed from power, so the seat of the Holy Roman Empire passed to some German minor state.

Prior to the revolution, I had completely taken over all of Italy (aside from 2 Papal State provinces), all of Northern Africa (including pushing the Ottomans out of Egypt), all of the western coasts of Africa leading down to the cape, part of Ireland, and a big chunk of Southern England. All of these regions are now a mix of independent states, most of which haven't existed for over 100 years, including England (there is now both an England and a Great Britain, where England is all of the provinces that I had previously taken from GB). It's 1747, I doubt that it's possible to regain all of that territory while the cores are still good.

For posterity, I've taken some screenshots of what was formerly 100% Spanish territory. Here's what it looks like when separatist rebels from ~ 30 different nations all get their demands met simultaneously:

I don't think that I can possibly continue playing this save. I can only assume that what I encountered was a bug rather than just an undocumented feature. Hell, I might even have to put down the game after this; I'm not sure if I can handle having another really successful game just suddenly sputter and die for reasons completely beyond my control.

There are weird little holdout provinces here and there that the game didn't deem worth giving to the rebels for whatever reason. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, many French provinces that were definitely listed as Rebel Demands are still Spanish. And everything in the Iberian Peninsula is still Spain; I guess once you form Spain and get cores on everything the rebels for freeing Portugal or Leon or whatever else just never show up.

e: Weird, see Tunis down there in Sus? That's the only province that Tunis got, right in the middle of Morocco. The rest of what Tunis originally was fed by me to Touggourt, so now Touggourt has all of those provinces. And Spain still has some of them too, for whatever reason.

The game also decided to give Tunis a stack of 120 regiments hanging out in Tripoli, which they do not own. This is very very weird, as I'll repeat myself: Tunis only has one province.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 3, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope this cautionary tale is enough to ensure that nobody else is enticed by the forbidden fruits of the Achievement Lords to play in ironman mode.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been playing a Portugal game to fiddle with the colonial mechanics and to build a trade empire, however...

Does this RNW setup mean there's never going to be any Atlantic trade? I have a CN in the northern continent, I own all of Alsus (the island in the middle of the Atlantic) and I will expand into the southern continent as well. If there are no trade routes across the Atlantic now, will there ever be in the future? Can I change or create them somehow?

There's a trade route from the eastern coast of the northern continent to Asia and from Asia to the southern continent so does this basically mean controlling Asian trade is actually key? Any trade not circling around in the New World is going to leave through that single route across the Pacific, essentially.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Antti posted:

Does this RNW setup mean there's never going to be any Atlantic trade? I have a CN in the northern continent, I own all of Alsus (the island in the middle of the Atlantic) and I will expand into the southern continent as well. If there are no trade routes across the Atlantic now, will there ever be in the future? Can I change or create them somehow?

Trade routes are static.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I had an odd thing happen in a Holland Ironman game yesterday. I am allied with Denmark, Sweden declares Independence and manages to force a peace with Norway, taking a bunch of territory and dissolving it's union with Denmark, before then losing and remaining a junior partner under Denmark.

I thought that nations in a personal union couldn't make a separate peace?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Fell Fire posted:

I had an odd thing happen in a Holland Ironman game yesterday. I am allied with Denmark, Sweden declares Independence and manages to force a peace with Norway, taking a bunch of territory and dissolving it's union with Denmark, before then losing and remaining a junior partner under Denmark.

I thought that nations in a personal union couldn't make a separate peace?

If Norway was a lesser partner of Denmark, that shouldn't be possible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cynic Jester posted:

Trade routes are static.

I was afraid that was the case, but thanks.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

i wish i could use Threaten War to get countries to either stop agitating for liberty/supporting independence or force the issue to a head. I got a Union over France as Netherlands and Portugal won't stop riling them up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a good way to farm legitimacy? I've got a civil war that's stopped 6% from triggering and as long as I stay under 10% overextension I'm "safe" but god help me if anything goes wrong. And I'm currently at 35 legitimacy thanks to the death of my heirless ruler and a new guy getting in.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

double nine posted:

Is there a good way to farm legitimacy? I've got a civil war that's stopped 6% from triggering and as long as I stay under 10% overextension I'm "safe" but god help me if anything goes wrong. And I'm currently at 35 legitimacy thanks to the death of my heirless ruler and a new guy getting in.

One of the pope interactions you can do with Papal Influence adds yearly legitimacy - I think it's a +1 modifier but I'm not sure. I'm not aware of any other way.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I thought that one weird trick for Legitimacy was just letting the Civil War fire, it shouldn't be too hard to handle assuming your nation isn't a complete wreck, and it gives you huge amounts of Legitimacy.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

double nine posted:

The best way to farm legitimacy is let Civil War fire and get lots of events then get 3 stability at the end. Or kill your ruler with a strong heir.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
yeah, the civil war is the one disaster that isn't really one at all.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The imgur post that got me started on this whole thing finishes by 1701, so I've feel like I'm really behind the whole time, even though that leaves a whole century and a bit still.

This probably isn't the link you meant to send.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PleasingFungus posted:

This probably isn't the link you meant to send.

Here is just the endstate pic:

This is the writeup:
http://imgur.com/a/WEGwr

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arzakon posted:

The best way to farm legitimacy is let Civil War fire and get lots of events then get 3 stability at the end. Or kill your ruler with a strong heir.

Problem is I literally have no manpower & my troops are half-strength... I can't afford to fight rebels

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I think EU4 has finally supplanted Morrowind as game of the year all years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rakthar posted:

Here is just the endstate pic:

This is the writeup:
http://imgur.com/a/WEGwr

To whoever earlier was using this as their baseline for a WC, this run is pretty ridiculous. Like at some point he just casually drills into an unbroken Ming and takes Beijing by 1540. My WC run went so well that I had time to take religious and get the every province is your religion achievement too, and this dude beat me by like 50 years.

• Locked thread