Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

goku taught me to kamehameha and i still do it to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WEN

WEN BROLY

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

speaking of people who never knew fathers that reminds me of the one time my uncle talked about his time as a corrections officer: apparently the second most popular show amongst the convicts was DBZ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Heard a story a long time ago from a guy who, as a child, tried to go Super Saiyan so hard he pooped his pants.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Baal posted:

I want my Jaco anime

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's bad to like Goku, as opposed to liking his cooler friends.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

projecthalaxy posted:

It's bad to like Goku, as opposed to liking his cooler friends.

But Cooler isn't Goku's friend. Hell, he tried to murder Goku.

...I mean, you can say the same about nearly all of his friends, but still!

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Stairmaster posted:

speaking of people who never knew fathers that reminds me of the one time my uncle talked about his time as a corrections officer: apparently the second most popular show amongst the convicts was DBZ.

So, what was number one?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dragon Ball GT

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Locked up for anime crimes

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Batmasterson posted:

So, what was number one?

Scared Straight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I read JoJo Stone Ocean every day just in case I go to jail so I can be prepared for anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Baal posted:

I want my Jaco anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope Jaco never gets an anime.

It is far too good and you know it'd go to Toei. Jaco deserves far more than the studio that gave us "one chapter = one episode = zero quality" One Piece, between many other animation errors. Including this show in many occasions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope Jaco never gets an anime.

It is far too good and you know it'd go to Toei. Jaco deserves far more than the studio that gave us "one chapter = one episode = zero quality" One Piece, between many other animation errors. Including this show in many occasions.

Yeah, that's an excellent point, though a rather depressing one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Batmasterson posted:

So, what was number one?

the gir's gone wild informercial

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Oxxidation posted:

Heard a story a long time ago from a guy who, as a child, tried to go Super Saiyan so hard he pooped his pants.

"Tried"? Sounds to me like he succeeded.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading a news article where some teenager tried to go Super Saiyan for a couple minutes, got an aneurysm and died.

DBZ kills.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Random manga observation: I love how Ginyu preparing to charge to the left on the last panel of this page...

Is matched by a "cut" to Goku flying feebly to the left in the top panel of the immediate next page...

Which then brings us to Ginyu finishing his dash to Gohan and Krillin and beginning his offensive, who is still roughly in the same position that Goku ended the previous page on.

Toriyama is good at this sort visual storytelling.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

toriyama is a really good mangaka

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dig up all of Xibanya's analysis posts if you dig that kind of thing and then read her JoJo Part 4 ones in the anime thread for that if that sounds like something that would interest you. Well worth your time to read them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Random manga observation: I love how Ginyu preparing to charge to the left on the last panel of this page...

Is matched by a "cut" to Goku flying feebly to the left in the top panel of the immediate next page...

Which then brings us to Ginyu finishing his dash to Gohan and Krillin and beginning his offensive, who is still roughly in the same position that Goku ended the previous page on.

Toriyama is good at this sort visual storytelling.

It's amazing what good page/panel structure can do for a comic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dig up all of Xibanya's analysis posts if you dig that kind of thing and then read her JoJo Part 4 ones in the anime thread for that if that sounds like something that would interest you. Well worth your time to read them.

I haven't read her Jojo stuff because I have no familiarity with that franchise, but her Dragon Ball stuff was fantastic and has been something I keep in my mind as I read the manga. Really increased my enjoyment of Toriyama's work overall.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

Soiled by the contents of my own colon, not that! No! Why has destiny conspired against me so tragically!?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Nah, that was actually a pretty good explanation, at least for me. I don't know a ton about animation but I can at least follow what you're talking about with the keyframes and the inbetween frames. It sounds like you're basically arguing that (at least for some episodes and some sequences) the animation is rotten at the very core, and if you start with a bad foundation like that, then even if you put in more time & effort it would be unlikely to fix it.

This sounds like a leadership/management issue; bad animation directors?

Yeah, bad direction AND bad talent behind the art. Now that I'm home again, I'll actually take a scene and sketch out examples of how things can be improved on even a foundation level.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A strange thought occurred to me when I was reading some background stuff on the movie Predator. Supposedly after Rocky IV there was a joke that since Rocky Balboa was out of Earthly opponents, the next movie would have him fighting an alien (and that idea turned into Predator). After reading that, my thoughts turned to Dragon Ball and now I can't stop thinking about Goku as Sylvester Stallone and other characters as the cast of Rocky.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now I'm imagining Michael B. Jordan as Uub.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

Now I'm imagining Michael B. Jordan as Uub.

holy gently caress the rocky series really is dbz :stare:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Does that make Rocky a alien space warrior?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Augus posted:

It's amazing what good page/panel structure can do for a comic.

Seriously. Dragon Ball is just so easy to read. It's always immediately obvious exactly what's going on in every panel. Back when they were still first releasing the volumes in English I remember eagerly awaiting each new one even though I knew exactly how the story was gonna go down just because it was so fun to read. It's no wonder why Dragon Ball was so incredibly popular.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In some ways I wonder if Dragon Ball isn't somewhat a victim of its own success as a multimedia franchise at this point. People know the Dragon Ball story inside and out but nobody ever talks about the medium specific qualities to each version. Like this forum is literally the only place I've ever seen anyone actually discuss Toriyama's formalism as a comic book creator in any detail at all.

Combat Lobster posted:

Does that make Rocky a alien space warrior?

Well he does talk about "training" a lot!

Honestly I love the Rocky movies for a lot of the same reasons I love Dragon Ball.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Rocky's a bad dad.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

In It For The Tank posted:

Rocky's a bad dad.

Rocky bought his kids a 1970s Robot, and is thus forever shielded from bad dad status.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He also gave him a really kickass speech in the sixth movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JAHAFvcr2o

Rocky Balboa owns.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

In some ways I wonder if Dragon Ball isn't somewhat a victim of its own success as a multimedia franchise at this point. People know the Dragon Ball story inside and out but nobody ever talks about the medium specific qualities to each version. Like this forum is literally the only place I've ever seen anyone actually discuss Toriyama's formalism as a comic book creator in any detail at all.

SA frequently has the highest level of discourse on a subject of any major site on the internet ... it's a distressing thought

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Steampunk Gent posted:

SA frequently has the highest level of discourse on a subject of any major site on the internet ... it's a distressing thought

hosed up but true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

I mean skilled and effective use of form isn't something I see discussed much in general for anything, not even among supposed intellectuals and critics.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Augus posted:

I mean skilled and effective use of form isn't something I see discussed much in general for anything, not even among supposed intellectuals and critics.

Yeah, it doesn't happen enough even with critics. OTOH, your av reminds me that I did see more film critics than I expected making note of how Fury Road was really good formally.

I don't expect casual fans to be able to write thousands of words about why they like a movie or comic or whatever, it's just a little disheartening to not see anyone praise, in even basic terms, the extremely good qualities in things they already really like anyways. Like with the Dragon Ball manga, the closest thing to that I see is people being happy about what's not there, like filler from the anime. It's not often I hear people say something even basic like "Man Toriyama's action scenes seem really exciting to read!" or whatever, observations that are about form even if people don't realize it.

This might be too whiny or whatever, but it's something that saddens me about fan subcultures in general.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 8, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything, but at the end of the day it's DBZ. There are people who can wax and wain writing philosophy and character depth until the cows come home, but it's a series a lot of people watched as kids and don't think more about it other than "That poo poo was cool dog, yo vegeta's tight as gently caress." It's fun to talk about this stuff that way sometimes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said there are people who also debate power levels til the cows come home so if that's your thing...

• Locked thread