Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good breakdown of making fried chicken in a cast iron skillet? I've never been able to get the crust to turn out well.

Pork fat as the medium, either bacon or lard. Buttermilk marinade the chicken, make sure your flour has seasonal and baking powder in it. Don't egg wash. Medium-high heat. Patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pork fat as the medium, either bacon or lard. Buttermilk marinade the chicken, make sure your flour has seasonal and baking powder in it. Don't egg wash. Medium-high heat. Patience.

Thanks. So, to clarify, pull the chicken from the buttermilk, perhaps lets some drip off put don't pat dry, one run through the seasoned flour+baking powder, then into the pan? Does enough fat to come about halfway up the chicken seem reasonable?

I've been very unhappy with egg washes, so happy with advice that doesn't include them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sir Kodiak posted:

Thanks. So, to clarify, pull the chicken from the buttermilk, perhaps lets some drip off put don't pat dry, one run through the seasoned flour+baking powder, then into the pan? Does enough fat to come about halfway up the chicken seem reasonable?

I've been very unhappy with egg washes, so happy with advice that doesn't include them.

I always just marinade, dry with a few cracks of salt and pepper, dredge in flour and spices, and shallow fry for whatever i'm fryin up. I will always burn the first batch. Just don't crowd the pan, give yourself time to watch and get the time of the first few batches. I NEVER deep fry, I hate using all that oil. I feel like I'm wasting it.

It's fryin, not rokkit sergery. Dont go too hot or too cold, and y'll be jes right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made a curry a few days ago with meatballs. They were seasoned with parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. I want to make it again but with chicken, since that's significantly cheaper. I'm not sure how to get the seasoning right when I can't mix it in, though. Any ideas?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Make chicken meatballs?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll see what ground chicken costs, I thought it was up there with ground beef in price. If not, I'll probably do that. I don't have a meat grinder to make it myself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You could probably use ground turkey just as well as chicken and that might be cheaper

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Do people seed or rinse or otherwise augment canned chipotles in adobo to help control the spice level? If so, how? I made a recipe and it's good, but I only used 2 baby size peppers plus the sauce they were in (in a recipe for 2 people, not even an eighth of the can) and this recipe is pretty burny. I have no idea how I'm gonna use up the rest of this can before it goes bad if they're this spicy. I don't think I'm being a piss baby about spice all of the sudden, am I?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've had some in a box in the fridge for months and they've been fine. Just use less next time and you don't always need to use a whole one either if its for something small

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nicol Bolas posted:

Do people seed or rinse or otherwise augment canned chipotles in adobo to help control the spice level? If so, how? I made a recipe and it's good, but I only used 2 baby size peppers plus the sauce they were in (in a recipe for 2 people, not even an eighth of the can) and this recipe is pretty burny. I have no idea how I'm gonna use up the rest of this can before it goes bad if they're this spicy. I don't think I'm being a piss baby about spice all of the sudden, am I?

You can seed them if you want. Use a knife, scrape out the seeds.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nicol Bolas posted:

Blend them up, mix them into mayonnaise, enjoy the best sandwich topping.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Nicol Bolas posted:

They're fairly intense. I also enjoy spicy foods but will generally put one in a recipe for 2 people. Then, the rest sits in the fridge with a bit of foil over the top until it gets fuzzy and is thrown out. Alas.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nicol Bolas posted:

Dont throw it away:
Blend the peppers and sauce, freeze in tiny portions.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

a couple of months ago i had some chipotle in adobo left, i just chopped it finely and added it to a jar of mayonaise that had about 1/3rd left. This is still good like 3 or 4 months later.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

They're fairly intense. I also enjoy spicy foods but will generally put one in a recipe for 2 people. Then, the rest sits in the fridge with a bit of foil over the top until it gets fuzzy and is thrown out. Alas.

Put the remainders into a zip lock baggie and freeze flat with the peppers in a single layer. When you need chipotle flavor, break one off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got a Himalayan salt block as a gift. Any good recommendations/resources on using it?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Awesome. I'll just cut down on my amount used and freeze most of it. Don't know why I didn't think of that, I freeze everything. Thanks dudes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zerilan posted:

Got a Himalayan salt block as a gift. Any good recommendations/resources on using it?

Drill a hole in it, use it as a lamp.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Zerilan posted:

Re-gift it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zerilan posted:

Get a microplane, chip out a little divot to keep the microplane in, set in middle of table, use as functional centerpeice. Whenever someone wants salt, they can grate it themselves!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I made chicken kievs for the first time and accidentally cooked one too many. Is there an okay way to reheat it? I'm thinking on a cookie rack in the oven, but I'm not sure what temp/time. Or you could talk me into doing it in a skillet if that would be better. The breadcrumbs are panko, if that matters, and the whole thing is amazing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anne Whateley posted:

I made chicken kievs for the first time and accidentally cooked one too many. Is there an okay way to reheat it? I'm thinking on a cookie rack in the oven, but I'm not sure what temp/time. Or you could talk me into doing it in a skillet if that would be better. The breadcrumbs are panko, if that matters, and the whole thing is amazing.

We always heated ours in the toaster oven on a little tray of foil to catch drippings. These were pre-made store bought frozen kievs, though. Back in the days of two parents working, me and sis in school. Post your recipe! I'd love to try making my own.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suspect Bucket posted:

Get a microplane, chip out a little divot to keep the microplane in, set in middle of table, use as functional centerpeice. Whenever someone wants salt, they can grate it themselves!

Oh, nice! That's actually really cute!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haha thanks, wasn't sure if the whole salt block cooking surface thing was something worth messing with or just some bullshit fad. I'll probably make a centerpiece of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Suspect Bucket posted:

We always heated ours in the toaster oven on a little tray of foil to catch drippings. These were pre-made store bought frozen kievs, though. Back in the days of two parents working, me and sis in school. Post your recipe! I'd love to try making my own.
This is the first time I made them so nothing is guaranteed! I only ever heard of them a few months ago.

Herb butter: 2 sticks butter, a cup+ of parsley leaves, maybe a Tbsp of chives, 5 cloves of garlic, all combined in food processor. I made it into a sausage with plastic wrap, then threw it in the freezer for about 30-40 minutes for easier handling. You could go nuts and use any herbs you want. You could also use less; this was on the heavy side, but I like it that way.

Chicken: 5 breasts, butterflied then pounded thin (but not crazy thin) with a rolling pin because that's what I have. Give each one a good chunk of butter going down the middle. (I had plenty of leftover butter, which is fine because it'll be delicious on anything.)

I used transglutaminase (aka meat glue, Activa RM) on all but one. If you're using it, dust all the surfaces that will touch, roll it up well, and make each breast into another plastic-wrap sausage. Then leave it in the fridge for 4+ hours.

Breading: I used seasoned flour, two beaten eggs, and panko, in that order. I did one without meat glue out of curiosity, so I also toothpicked that one closed at this stage.

Cooking: Preheat oven to 375° F, and get your rimmed cookie sheet covered with foil and put a wire rack on top. That goes in the oven. The primary cooking method was shallow-frying (because I'm terrified of deep-frying) in a deep pot with about an inch of canola. I did them individually for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the panko looked delicious. I knew they'd still be under temp internally, so as each was done, I transferred it to the rack in the oven. They got about 15 minutes of additional cooking there.

I was really impressed by how easy it was. With the resting time, I couldn't do it (at least not the same method) on a weeknight, but I would totally do it again on a weekend or maybe across two weeknights. The meat glue worked well, which wasn't a big surprise, but I was impressed by how well the toothpicked one held up too. In general there was a little leakage, but >90% of the butter stayed inside and made for gorgeous money shots when they were cut open. I served them with mashed butternut squash, which I knew wasn't great colorwise, but so delicious I don't care.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd give the salt block one serious try since, you know, it was a gift and all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Good point, I'll try a recipe that uses it at room temperature or colder on it first, don't want to heat it since I think it loses the neat looking color it has to it if I do.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I asked my wife to pick up a pork shoulder or boston butt to make slow-cooker pulled pork with. She came home with something labeled "Bone in center cut - pork roast".

I can't figure out what this cut refers to; is it the right thing? Will it make a good pulled pork? If not, what will it make well (considering I only have an oven and slow cooker available to cook it.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have 20 pounds of potatoes I bought thinking I'd make potato stuff for the holidays and then I forgot them.

What should I do with them.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I asked my wife to pick up a pork shoulder or boston butt to make slow-cooker pulled pork with. She came home with something labeled "Bone in center cut - pork roast".

I can't figure out what this cut refers to; is it the right thing? Will it make a good pulled pork? If not, what will it make well (considering I only have an oven and slow cooker available to cook it.)

What does it look like? According to a casual Google it could be a few things but the general consensus is to roast rather than slow-cook.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

I have 20 pounds of potatoes I bought thinking I'd make potato stuff for the holidays and then I forgot them.

Make mashed potatoes a couple of times. Leftovers get turned into lefse.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nicol Bolas posted:

What does it look like? According to a casual Google it could be a few things but the general consensus is to roast rather than slow-cook.

After opening the package it has ribs, so I guess it's a loin? First one I've ever cooked though. I went ahead and put a dry rub on it; still sound like something I should roast instead of slow cook?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Make a gently caress ton of cheese mashed potato stuffed pierogis. They freeze well.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
I was wondering if there was any appetite for a vegetarian meals thread? We're keen to cut our meat consumption to once or twice a week, but I've found myself cycling through a few great recipes but without much variation.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Underwater Shoe posted:

I was wondering if there was any appetite for a vegetarian meals thread? We're keen to cut our meat consumption to once or twice a week, but I've found myself cycling through a few great recipes but without much variation.

I'll totally post in it if you make one, sorry.

Steve Yun posted:

Chiming in with the mashed potatoes, while you're at it make a shitload of Gnocchi.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Underwater Shoe posted:

I was wondering if there was any appetite for a vegetarian meals thread?

I would read and probably post in this

Hauki
May 11, 2010

There was a vegetarian thread already, unless it got closed?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Underwater Shoe posted:

I'd be into it, and until it's up and running the poor food thread has a lot of vegetarian suggestions in it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hauki posted:

There was a vegetarian thread already, unless it got closed?

As far as I know there's only a vegan thread, and I asked and they specifically said they wanted it to remain vegan-only so vegans' dishes wouldn't get drowned out.

I would enjoy a vegetarian thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Please post a vegetarian thread!