Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's because of how the land was colonized. The New England area is heavily populated because it was where the original 13 colonies were located, but the rest of the land was sparsely populated by "native" tribes (it's weird to even call them natives, as they also came from Eurasia and just colonized it millenia before Europeans). So when white colonists started pushing westward, they were just setting up farms and towns across a very vast, empty land. California became popular enough to become a major cultural center, but the rest of the country has huge swaths of empty space surrounding small nexuses.

On the other hand, Europe has had the majority of the existence of human civilization to grow a large population and fill in all the cracks.

Eh arriving 11ish thousand years or so ago (at least) is enough for me to qualify a people as native, give or take a hundred or so years.

Also a decent portion of America was populated at that time, there is a reason why there was constant friction between colonists and Native Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The real schadenfreude is the Indians in America who sold off their land in exchange for beads

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

amityville anus posted:

The real schadenfreude is the Indians in America who sold off their land in exchange for beads

If you are talking bout Manhattan which is really the only example of this I could find the history on that is so hazy that one of the equally valid explanations for this is that the Dutch paid the trade goods to the wrong tribal group and later had to pay the correct ones. This is also a great example of schadenfreude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"I'm totally reformed" said Chris Brown. "Those domestic violence charges were a wake up call to me" said Chris Brown. "I really want to be part of the solution against domestic violence" said Chris Brown.

Singer Chris Brown accused of Las Vegas battery

Bull-loving-poo poo, said the world. Hope they nail that piece of infectious human waste to the wall this time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

If you are talking bout Manhattan which is really the only example of this I could find the history on that is so hazy that one of the equally valid explanations for this is that the Dutch paid the trade goods to the wrong tribal group and later had to pay the correct ones. This is also a great example of schadenfreude.

The story I've heard is that apparently they bought Manhattan from some random tribesmen from Long Island who had gone to the place to buy booze and ripped off some gullible Europeans on the way home. And that rather than beads it was a bunch of muskets, axes, hand tools, etc.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Memento posted:

"I'm totally reformed" said Chris Brown. "Those domestic violence charges were a wake up call to me" said Chris Brown. "I really want to be part of the solution against domestic violence" said Chris Brown.

Singer Chris Brown accused of Las Vegas battery

Bull-loving-poo poo, said the world. Hope they nail that piece of infectious human waste to the wall this time.

Just watch his fangirls on twitter react the same way they did last time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Some one commented about that story on reddit. They reckon the most likely thing that happened is the woman tried to take a photo of him doing some thing tmz worthy (coke/having sex or what ever). Apparently it is common for any one entering a vegas private party with celebrities to have to leave any phones at the door because people constantly try to take photos to sell.

I have no idea how true that is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, to be fair he lasted HOURS into the new year before he had to smack a bitch. That's progress man.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hey, to be fair he lasted HOURS into the new year before he had to smack a bitch. That's progress man.

He's allowed to have one gently caress up a year, shame he used his up so early

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't tell exactly what is happening here, but to help out that guy in the top right right is really mad about some thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sil83FBYoMc

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

e: gently caress!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

The story I've heard is that apparently they bought Manhattan from some random tribesmen from Long Island who had gone to the place to buy booze and ripped off some gullible Europeans on the way home. And that rather than beads it was a bunch of muskets, axes, hand tools, etc.

Yeah this is one of the equally valid theories. The thing is is that the entire transaction history was recorded something 250 years after the fact and no one has found any paper documentation and legal stuff regarding the trade so nobody really knows what the gently caress actually happened. Im pretty sure the bead story stuck around because of racism.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

i don't think i've ever met an American that did that. They would say "U.S." and then i'd ask them from which state and i'd do a stupid accent making fun of that location.

I think i've only met Americans when drunk so that also affects the way i approach them.

Ooh, ooh, I'm from Washington state, let's hear what you think our accent is like

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Ooh, ooh, I'm from Washington state, let's hear what you think our accent is like

Washington is up north, so fake Canadian?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

Washington is up north, so fake Canadian?

We have a very subdued accent

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I like hearing about where people are from it's interesting if you have only just met.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only fun you have as someone living in Wales is telling people you've just met which unpronounceable town you're from and watching their face contort in a rictus of confusion and pity.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
When europeans ask when Im from I say California, because if you're not a drooling retard, you have heard of California.

I guess it would be weirder for Indiana tho

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

du -hast posted:

When europeans ask when Im from I say California, because if you're not a drooling retard, you have heard of California.

Well that'll just confuse them, they won't know if you're from Pennsylvania or Missouri or Colombia or El Salvador or any of the other dozen Californias we see in movies and TV shows all the time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When an American says they're from Georgia, I just assume they're from an ex-soviet country.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

dog days are over posted:

The only fun you have as someone living in Wales is telling people you've just met which unpronounceable town you're from and watching their face contort in a rictus of confusion and pity.

It's not unpronounceable you loving saesneg.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Carbon dioxide posted:

When an American says they're from Georgia, I just assume they're from an ex-soviet country.

I know an actual Georgian. When I met her and she mentioned being from Georgia, a mutual friend found it necessary to chime in "the country, not the state!" Thanks, I couldn't figure that out from the heavy Eastern-European accent.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
instead of by state, americans should identify where they're from by the nearest mass shooting

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

dog days are over posted:

Aint got poo poo on Iceland.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slime posted:

Trying read the Latin characters with English rules sure as gently caress makes it unpronounceable.

quote:

In contrast to English practice, "w" and "y" are considered vowel letters in Welsh along with "a", "e", "i", "o" and "u".

The letter "j" is used in many everyday words borrowed from English, like jam, jôc "joke" and garej "garage". The letters "k", "q", "v", "x", and "z" are used in some technical terms, likekilogram, volt and zero, but in all cases can be, and often are, replaced by Welsh letters: cilogram, folt and sero.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Testekill posted:

He's allowed to have one gently caress up a year, shame he used his up so early

Is he? How do you get a deal like that?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

wayfinder posted:

Is he? How do you get a deal like that?

Be rich.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:v:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

When I moved to Waunarlwydd it took me two years to learn how to spell it out to people over the phone. I'm still not sure I'm spelling or saying it correctly.

WHHYYYNNEE AAARRR LOOYYYTHHH?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

haha, did they change their headline specifically to gently caress with ROK? Brilliant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Men's rights [...] cost Star Wars [...] money."

Success!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I looked up what Return of Kings is. Never go to that site. There is no schadenfreude there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Do go to We Hunted the Mammoth, though; they filter through that poo poo to give us the gems of stuff to mock from MRAs.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

A man fails multiple times at breaking a board, eventually making a little girl cry.

Nuggan has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jan 3, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rondette posted:

haha, did they change their headline specifically to gently caress with ROK? Brilliant.

The article is entirely about how ridiculous ROK's claim is, so that Twitter post is just completely out of touch with reality.

The basic premise of the article is that even if ROK's claim was really obviously bullshit, their claimed loss in revenue is 0.6% of the American box office take and 0.3% of the international take, the equivalent of someone sneaking a penny out of your wallet and laughing about how they're the best pickpocket in the world.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

chitoryu12 posted:

The article is entirely about how ridiculous ROK's claim is, so that Twitter post is just completely out of touch with reality.

The basic premise of the article is that even if ROK's claim was really obviously bullshit, their claimed loss in revenue is 0.6% of the American box office take and 0.3% of the international take, the equivalent of someone sneaking a penny out of your wallet and laughing about how they're the best pickpocket in the world.

Speaking of bad math, you only carry 1 dollar and 66.666.. cents in your wallet (or 3 dollars and 33.333... cents internationally)?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5otApDYRY

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rysithusiku posted:

Aint got poo poo on Iceland.
Iceland:

Reykjavík (Ray-kyah-weak)

Stokkseyri (Stocks-eh-rih)

Hafnarfjörður (Have-nahr-feur-thur)

Wales:

Cwmamman (?)

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch (????)

Swansea (????????????)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

Speaking of bad math, you only carry 1 dollar and 66.666.. cents in your wallet (or 3 dollars and 33.333... cents internationally)?

0.3% != 3%

Then again you have decimal cents so I'm not really sure what you're going for.

Anyway, the guy probably went with stealing a penny as it's the smallest denomination US coin, not that it was literally 0.6% of what you've got in your wallet.

:spergin: etc.

Nuevo has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Swansea (????????????)
??????