Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man I'd like I Don't Even Own a Television a lot more if it were less quirky segmented podcast. Like little dumb theme songs for every bit and a letters corner and forced laughter and goofiness. Chiiiill. I wish they'd just stick to the meat so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man I'd like I Don't Even Own a Television a lot more if it were less quirky segmented podcast. Like little dumb theme songs for every bit and a letters corner and forced laughter and goofiness. Chiiiill. I wish they'd just stick to the meat so to speak.

Same. Those dramatic readings aren't half as funny as they think they are.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I binge-listened to The Message over the weekend (it only takes a couple of hours) and really enjoyed it. It does require a healthy amount of suspension of disbelief, but fortunately those things don't usually bother us.

Are there any other good podcasts that tell a self-contained story like that? We already listen to - and love - Welcome to Night Vale, but it's more of an ongoing thing. Thrilling Adventure Hour never really did it for us (and also doesn't wrap up the stories, I think?)

I guess we could just jump to audio books, but they usually lack the "radio drama" presentation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I binge-listened to The Message over the weekend (it only takes a couple of hours) and really enjoyed it. It does require a healthy amount of suspension of disbelief, but fortunately those things don't usually bother us.

Are there any other good podcasts that tell a self-contained story like that? We already listen to - and love - Welcome to Night Vale, but it's more of an ongoing thing. Thrilling Adventure Hour never really did it for us (and also doesn't wrap up the stories, I think?)

I guess we could just jump to audio books, but they usually lack the "radio drama" presentation.

Probably The Black Tapes, but I don't know how long it will be until we get Season 2.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I've listened to quite a few. I liked The Message, but it didn't grab me too hard.

I really enjoyed The Black Tapes. The first season is over, but since it's ongoing, it doesn't quite wrap up completely. TANIS is the spin off of Black Tapes, about a mysterious place the government is trying to keep any mention of under wraps. It's not quite as catchy as Black Tapes, but it's still fun.

I really enjoyed Limetown, about a town that disappears completely overnight. The first season just ended, but it was really enjoyable. It wraps up pretty well, with only a couple cliffhangers, but a lot of the mysteries are explained.

The Bunker is another completely self contained, 1 season only show. It's about 3 friends hosting a radio show after the apocalypse. It's not a serious podcast at all, and can be pretty hit or miss with people. I liked it, but I could completely see why others wouldn't. I like that it mixes things up by including real interviews and short stories in each episode.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MECHARL WINSLOW posted:

I really enjoyed Limetown, about a town that disappears completely overnight. The first season just ended, but it was really enjoyable. It wraps up pretty well, with only a couple cliffhangers, but a lot of the mysteries are explained.

Wait gently caress that's how it ended? poo poo I didn't realize that was the last episode, might have to give it a relisten.

or the next to last episode I guess

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'd love to find some podcasts that focus on discovering new music. Hip-hop and electronic music in particular, but I'm open to most genres. I'm already listening to Sound Exploder which is pretty interesting, especially when artists get a little technical, but it's only one song at a time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, actually that does make me curious, I mean is there actually a good hip hop/rap related podcast? Doesn't feel like there'd be, maybe this is a better question for like, the NMD hip hop thread.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It really seems like there should be. It's hard to keep up with new mixtapes and artists and so on. Worth a try asking there.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Bodega Boys, Combat Jack, and Tax Season are great hip hop related podcasts but wouldn't be useful for discovering new music. Jack does frequently interview artists with new records coming out, the other two are comedy podcasts with lots of hip hop references.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm in love with the in depth analysis Dan Carlin did in his Blueprint for Armageddon series. Is there anything like that for other wars/battles?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Get Up On This's main host Jensen Carp usually does one hip hop related recommendation a week. It's a good podcast, but any hip hop talk is about 10% a week, at most.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's not a podcast, but this tumblr zips up all their favorite hip hop / rap for the month (and for the year)... http://rapzips.tumblr.com/archive

in terms of electronic music, there are a ton... seems like every DJ around has a podcast, have to sample a few to find something that hits what you're looking for. that, and BBC Radio 1 Essential Mixes...

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So I'm starting my first podcast and I have a question about submitting my rss feed from SoundCloud to iTunes. Is it wise to create a new iTunes account and submit the podcast through that, or is it really not a big deal and can I just use the old iTunes account I've had for years?

e: Went with my personal account. Turns out it doesn't really matter, iTunes will send email to whatever email is listed on your podcast feed.

enthe0s fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 29, 2015

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I have been greatly enjoying Hello From the Magic Tavern.

It's an improvised comedy podcast with the premise of human Arnie Niekamp falling through a portal behind a Burger King, and landing in the magical land of Foon. He had his podcasting equipment in his trunk so he records each week with his friends Chunt the Badger (shapeshifter) and Usidore (Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr’akkas. The elves know him as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarves know him as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. And I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar. And there may be other names of which you do not yet know!)

The show is hilarious and part of the fun is how great the hosts are at building the universe and making call backs. My favorite running joke is when Arnie fell through the portal he left behind his wife and infant daughter, and Chunt regularly hassles him about not being more concerned about getting back to them. I'm 25 episodes in and it just keeps getting stronger.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I just started this (a couple episodes in now) and I can't agree more. It's naturally funny and easygoing in a really charming way.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I just started this (a couple episodes in now) and I can't agree more. It's naturally funny and easygoing in a really charming way.

Yeah I like it a lot too. There's not really a good place to discuss it here though. I feel like if a thread was started it'd just stagnate too unfortunately.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ChetReckless posted:

Seconding (thirding?) this; this is a fun, funny, engaging podcast.

That fuckin' flower, man.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
hoobastank

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, actually that does make me curious, I mean is there actually a good hip hop/rap related podcast? Doesn't feel like there'd be, maybe this is a better question for like, the NMD hip hop thread.

Razor Tongue Radio is an excellent weekly hip hop podcast, though it is Seattle / PNW focused. Tons of great new music.

On a separate note, does anyone have any personal finance-type podcasts they would recommend?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I'm looking for a recommendation of something where there's a duo/group with a good dynamic that take calls. I'm thinking old school love line and car talk. I love both of those even though I don't really have a special interest in either topics. Both are wildly entertaining to listen to though,

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Tots posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation of something where there's a duo/group with a good dynamic that take calls. I'm thinking old school love line and car talk. I love both of those even though I don't really have a special interest in either topics. Both are wildly entertaining to listen to though,

The Bonfire.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I've been enjoying Talking Simpsons, it's a Simpsons episode by episode retrospective that is currently in the middle of season two.

The hosts really know their stuff, especially regarding production details I didn't know about like animation and directors, and the podcasts are generously loaded with audio clips from the show. Season 1 is behind a Patreon paywall, but season 2 is free.

It's a very nice background podcast when working or driving, and I appreciate SA's own Bob Mackey's burning hatred of anything past season 8. I don't think it would appeal to non-fans, but for anyone who grew up with the show it is a lot of fun. Especially as they are starting to hit the really good episodes.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Mojo Threepwood posted:

It's an improvised comedy podcast with the premise of human Arnie Niekamp falling through a portal behind a Burger King, and landing in the magical land of Foon. He had his podcasting equipment in his trunk so he records each week with his friends Chunt the Badger (shapeshifter) and Usidore (Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr’akkas. The elves know him as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarves know him as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. And I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar. And there may be other names of which you do not yet know!)

The show is hilarious and part of the fun is how great the hosts are at building the universe and making call backs. My favorite running joke is when Arnie fell through the portal he left behind his wife and infant daughter, and Chunt regularly hassles him about not being more concerned about getting back to them. I'm 25 episodes in and it just keeps getting stronger.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
came here to ask for suggestions of science podcasts and found the checkreckless suggestion on the last page and Double Blind Science is preatty great, thanks ChetReckless

redmedicine
Mar 7, 2015
Been digging Jihadology recently - discussions on jihadist groups past and present. They also trawl through and translate a shitload of terrorist publications. Dry but interesting

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Kamakaze9 posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

Seconded. "I think we've all fingered a spider..." Sold.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Black Tapes Podcast season 2 premiered yesterday and Tanis dropped the ninth episode today. If you're interested, grab em while they're hot.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Could we do a podcast roll call? What are you guys currently listening to? Particularly interested in the lesser known.

Stone Ape
http://www.nobleape.com/stone/
Two old friends have phone conversations about their interests. AI, consciousness, psychedelics, the model train community. They tend to repeat themselves and often speak nonsense but there is something warm and honest about their conversations. I found this podcast through trawling 90s AI webrings. I think its the most obscure podcast I listen to ever.

The Wandering Wolf Podcast
http://www.thewanderingwolfpodcast.com/
Yoni Wolf of the underground rap group Why? talks to musicians about their craft and life. Chill, deep, relaxing.

The Rob Cast
http://robbell.podbean.com/
Rob Bell is a Christian speaker/leader of an emerging movement of liberal Christianity. Friend of Oprah, bane of the older generation in the pews. I'm not a Christian but I find his 'new age'-esque approach comforting.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I started listening to this http://hellofromthemagictavern.com/ it's a guy making interviews with medieval fantasy characters, I only listened to the first espisode and it's pretty ok

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lampsacus posted:

The Rob Cast
http://robbell.podbean.com/
Rob Bell is a Christian speaker/leader of an emerging movement of liberal Christianity. Friend of Oprah, bane of the older generation in the pews. I'm not a Christian but I find his 'new age'-esque approach comforting.

Pete Holmes has gotten pretty new-agey lately and has loose collection of "FORB" (friends of Rob Bell) episodes you might want to check out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Could we do a podcast roll call? What are you guys currently listening to? Particularly interested in the lesser known.

Currently on my phone:

Abject Suffering
Hosts Kole and Gary play terrible old games and discuss them. Frequently self-derailed when they don't have much to complain about. Charming and funny, with nice banter and no AVGN screaming. Fantastic background listening in the car.

The Dana Gould Hour
Comedian Dana Gould talks to his friends and presents historical tidbits about Old Hollywood. Probably the best edited and produced comedy podcast.

Hello From the Magic Tavern
Incredible improv podcast in the fantasy world of Foon, check out the thread for more info. My current favorite.

Judge John Hodgman
I'm not a regular listener but it is pretty solid, I have a few episodes backlogged for family friendly listening in the car.

The Purple Stuff Podcast
Creator of X-E and Dinosaur Dracula chats with a friend about nostalgia. Their Halloween episodes were phenomenal.

Retronauts
Chat about old games with experts. Well produced, super knowledgeable, and the hosts are funny with pleasant voices. Insanely huge episode archive, and they bring on great guests like the Maniac Mansion creator.

Serial
It's pretty good this season? I need to catch up.

Talking Simpsons
Comedy podcast going through each episode in order. Highly recommended for fans, with generous episode audio clips.

The Truth
Short radio plays. The first few dozen or so episodes were great, seems to have fallen off a little since then but still good. Excellent variety.

Watch Out for Fireballs
Kole and Gary (also of Abject Suffering) go in depth on games and describe their playthroughs and comments. Really relaxing and funny.

We Hate Movies
Hilarious podcast making fun of bad movies. The hosts are comedy geniuses and I always look forward to new episodes. Great back catalog.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm just getting into podcasts, and WTF is my favorite so far. So, more cool interview shows like that, with more entertaining weirdos for subjects.

In that same vein, what are some good podcasts with funny and true stories? Like, the kind of trainwreck type poo poo that becomes legendary here on the SA forums - i.e. getting joosed on phenazepam and wreaking havoc, terrible people with bizarre interests, failed flights of fancy, and of course epic burns.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm just getting into podcasts, and WTF is my favorite so far. So, more cool interview shows like that, with more entertaining weirdos for subjects.

In that same vein, what are some good podcasts with funny and true stories? Like, the kind of trainwreck type poo poo that becomes legendary here on the SA forums - i.e. getting joosed on phenazepam and wreaking havoc, terrible people with bizarre interests, failed flights of fancy, and of course epic burns.

You Made It Weird is like WTF-lite. It's casual, with the intent to get "weird". Funny, interesting, and with an impressive back catalogue. It's mainly comedians, but there's a few other types, like Bill Nye.

As an example of where things can go, it's the podcast Harris Wittels came on to talk about his addiction to heroin and rehabilitation a little while before he OD'd last year.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Risk! is pretty much this, minus maybe the bizarre interests. For that, you could try The Dollop or F Plus maybe? Or No Such Thing As A Fish?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
The Moth, Radio Diaries, The Heart, Strangers. All good.

Edit- minus bizarre stuff? Risk! treads into some pretty crazy poo poo at times.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Well sure, but it's more like singular fuckups and bizarre happenings rather than an entire life of terrible choices that I think Franchescanado meant.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think you mean Ramrod Hotshot. I just gave them a suggestion.

If someone wants really bizarre true stories, there's 500+ episodes of Sick and Wrong.

The hosts each bring different news items and true stories and compete over who's is most hosed up. The last episode I listened to had a story of a kid who allegedly had sex with a neighbor's dog for revenge or something.

Funny podcast, but it makes me queasy and I haven't gone back after that story. I may give it another try.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I think you mean Ramrod Hotshot. I just gave them a suggestion.

If someone wants really bizarre true stories, there's 500+ episodes of Sick and Wrong.

The hosts each bring different news items and true stories and compete over who's is most hosed up. The last episode I listened to had a story of a kid who allegedly had sex with a neighbor's dog for revenge or something.

Funny podcast, but it makes me queasy and I haven't gone back after that story. I may give it another try.

I love Sick and Wrong. I think the new guy, Harrison, is doing fine as a co-host so far, though I do miss Wackerle. It was a late addition to my podcast repertoire after listening to The F Plus and Lou Reads too many times, while not readings like the latter two, it at least has some weird poo poo.

Similarly for a more frequent (almost every second day) podcast in the weird internet poo poo vein, Distorted View Daily is another candidate. I'd call this less polished and interesting than Sick and Wrong but it's a product of the schedule I believe, the dude puts in a solid effort. Edit: Sextastic Tuesday does include readings of terrible fan-fic/erotica. I mean you can really only rely on 1 Florida story, 1 China/Russia story and 2 stories from the rest of the world and still have half an episode to fill with dumb youtubers.

Magog fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I've really been enjoying Gilmore Guys for a while, and it's made me want to find more podcasts with the same enthusiastic, goofy sincerity. I think the two that come closest are Doughboys and The X-Files Files. Just anything with people who are willing to make jokes as they chat about stuff they really like. Anyone got any recommendations?