Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

arbalest is my crossbow friend please respect her

*nods sagely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

arbalests are back-row crusaders, which is also my preferred slang term for "homosexual"

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
A worthy reward for a hard fought battle!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

I think that's your game telling you to go gently caress yourself

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yaaay I beat my first boss the necromancer apprentice, am I good at video games now? :D

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Trip Report: 4 Houndmasters ~Level 1-2 in the Weald.

Results: Mixed

Having four guys with self heal, 4x blood attack, and 3 people with a strong Attack Anywhere option was cool. I didn't realize that all of their Hound Harry attacks did NOT stack, only the singular dog bite blood DOT stacked on top of a Hound Harry blood DOT. It felt like 4 was overkill though because I always felt like I need at least one support unit who could target a heal on anyone (as opposed to just themselves). I think having an Arbalest or a Vestal or even a Man-at-Arms would've been a better use of a fourth slot than a fourth Houndmaster. Sadly, I was cocky with my experiment and took them on a Long mission instead of a short one. Ended up losing one of my HMs to an unfortunate tough enemy encounter. I think they would've cleaned up on a short low level mission though.

I've been having some great success with Arbalest PD Crusader Hellion, though. PD and Crusader can give lots of things dual Blight/Bleed, crusader can Holy Lance from position 2, or Smite or Heal from Position 1. Arbalest is great for heals and targeted attacks. All four of them can have the ability to attack assholes in the back or synergize on buff dicks in the front.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

Yaaay I beat my first boss the necromancer apprentice, am I good at video games now? :D

no but enjoy the ride

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is it possible to make the game fall into an unwinnable state or i'm just being paranoid? I' still in the very early game but I know i've done some mistakes and i'm wondering if they could be undone or if I should just start all over if it's only going to be worse.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Odddzy posted:

Is it possible to make the game fall into an unwinnable state or i'm just being paranoid? I' still in the very early game but I know i've done some mistakes and i'm wondering if they could be undone or if I should just start all over if it's only going to be worse.

Nah, you can never make it unwinnable. You'll always have fresh recruits and Level 1 short dungeons.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Anal Surgery posted:

Nah, you can never make it unwinnable. You'll always have fresh recruits and Level 1 short dungeons.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep going on then.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Thanks, dick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Afraid of Audio posted:

no but enjoy the ride

Aww I thought I was doing pretty well :smith:

Anal Surgery posted:

Thanks, dick

I've got like three guys with this or something like this, but getting them at the same time, drat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

About when can I start taking my A team past Apprentice level dungeons? Veteran says "level 3", so about at that renown level?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Once heroes are level 3, they will literally refuse to go into Apprentice-level dungeons so yeah, the only way is forward.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

About when can I start taking my A team past Apprentice level dungeons? Veteran says "level 3", so about at that renown level?

Once your dudes hit level 3 they will refuse to go to Apprentice-level dungeons. I'd say, yeah, that's about when you want to take your dudes to Veteran dungeons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, conceited dicks. I feel less bad about losing these guys now :mad:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the first, and only, option I modded out of the game. It's such an arbitrary decision to limit characters like that and I dislike it.

I love the idea people had earlier in the thread where sending high level folks on low level quests causes the rest of the party's stress levels to sky rocket though, as they're constantly bitching about the lack of challenge.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Level 3 is also the point where you'll want to start dumping money into skills and gear, if you haven't already. Ideally you should have at least the primary skills and their armor maxed out, because there seems to be a significant bump in difficulty starting with the level 3 dungeons.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

poptart_fairy posted:

I love the idea people had earlier in the thread where sending high level folks on low level quests causes the rest of the party's stress levels to sky rocket though, as they're constantly bitching about the lack of challenge.

I'm cackling at the thought of a squad of rookies getting terrified by a veteran's 'KIDS THESE DAYS' ranting as they explore the spooky dungeon.

"You call that squamous? Quit screaming and shove your guts back in, it's just a scratch! You don't know how easy you've got it, back in my day the maggots had ARMOR."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Anal Surgery posted:

Thanks, dick

slick reflexes

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

poptart_fairy posted:

It's the first, and only, option I modded out of the game. It's such an arbitrary decision to limit characters like that and I dislike it.

It might be my least favorite part of the game. Of all the other roadblocks and challenges you have to overcome, not being able to grind level 1 dungeons with anyone who's level 3+ is just annoying. I get that they want to limit your ability to have a couple of really leveled characters hand-hold your newbies through their first few levels, but it just seems like such an overreaction to that problem.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the point is that even with a level advantage quests your party is outlevelled for are really, really easily

like, if you do a level 3 quest with level 4 characters that have level-appropriate armo, (most game-breakingly) trinkets and skill levels, you will just CRUSH it. no contest. We're tlaking taking barely any damage, virtually no stress damage (possibly even less than when you entered if you have a stress healer), etc. Unless it's a boss battle and even then, depending on what boss it is you will just totally destroy the content with a single levels' worth of advantage across the board

being able to bring lvl3s to lvl1 dungeons would be even more absurd. The game is totally balanced around the idea of you and the enemies being around equivalent level, and restricts your EXP gains only on successful quest completions appropriate to your level

with the ability to do lvl 1s for 3+'s there'd be absolutely no reason not to just have everyone grind to 6 off of the back of those quests, only venturing to higher-level dungeons to pick up rare trinkets. it would be the optimal way to play the game

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

Thanks, dick

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Toxxupation posted:

with the ability to do lvl 1s for 3+'s there'd be absolutely no reason not to just have everyone grind to 6 off of the back of those quests, only venturing to higher-level dungeons to pick up rare trinkets. it would be the optimal way to play the game

That's a super easy problem to fix though, you just adjust the Exp so that grinding to 6 either isn't possible from just apprentice dungeons or would take so long that no one would ever do it. And I get that the whole point is to keep the game challenging throughout so I don't necessarily think they should just get rid of the restriction completely, but it's just not a very fun solution to a fixable problem as it's implemented now because you're doing well and getting a core group through multiple dungeons and leveling them up and suddenly the game "rewards" you for your good play by imposing a gameplay limitation. I know it's not the biggest deal in the world and any decent/experienced player will deal with it just fine, but if you're fairly new and aren't beelining the right building upgrades it just feels like a sudden roadblock to your progress.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

VDay posted:

or would take so long that no one would ever do it.

ha

hahaa

hahahaahahahahaaHAHAHAAHAHAAA

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The fix is to give massive stress penalties and make it so the outlevelled character gains 0 exp in the dungeon, which is the only real way to "balance" it

and even then if the outlevelled character is, say, a houndmaster or abomination - basically either a stress healer or a character so inherently overpowered that they can solo content, especially lower-levelled content - such a move could break the game's scaling really easily

allowing 3+s to do level 1 content is a Genuinely Bad Idea. No-light party setups are already powerful enough as it is, especially with no-light stress healers, and were only really balanced with the addition of heart attacks to make it super duper DUPER risky to run now over last year (which was when no-light setups reigned). allowing 3s to just wander around in the first room to light level 0, after which they just crit everything the first hit, would break the gold scaling

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Just had a tense fight against Necromancer, my first level 3 boss. Was running with a Man-at-Arms, Crusader, Grave Robber and Plague Doctor who were all only at a few points of health for the last few fights. Didn't want to abandon mission though so decided to push through 'til bitter end. Got a Crusader (or MaA?) dodge +10 buff at a campsite, got into Necromancer fight with pretty much zero stress but veeery low health, and just concentrated on poisoning him with PD/GR while MaA kept buffing up the dodge/speed and Crusader kept marking himself with increased protection to absorb the skeleton damage. Just before killing Necromancer Crusader snapped from stress and got Abusive stressing out all party members even more, but with blighting + dodging the last remaining skeletons eventually got withered down just before everyone else developed afflictions too.

For the last few turns everyone kept teetering on the brink of death, with PD bringing alternating frontliners from the Death's Door. Magically, everyone survived with only Crusader Abusive, everyone else at 90+ stress and three party members at death's door.

Never thought I could get into a dungeon crawler this much, but here we are :allears:

Lol at all the Steam comments whining about the difficulty and stress though, only just bought it in a sale few days ago and so far it's feeling just right. In other games I OCD save every few minutes, so the inability to do so in Darkest Dungeon makes me surprisingly relaxed and happy to roll with the punches. I don't enjoy min-maxing, so still lose an occasional 3+ level character or two on per mission, but that just keeps the game fresh and interesting as you're forced to try out more unusual team combinations. Even the ones without healers are mostly workable as long as you ensure to put everyone in their preferred positions, so I really don't get the complaints. Can't wait for the finished version in a couple of weeks!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is it just me, or did they crank the chance to be ambushed after camping way the gently caress up some time in the last couple of patches? I feel like it used to be around 25%, now it's more like 75%. I can hardly ever camp without getting jumped any more. Maybe I've just had a run of bad luck, I dunno.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It feels higher to me as of maybe 2 patches ago and I hate it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It would be less obnoxious if a nighttime attack didn't auto-surprise

fighting at 0 light is already risky enough as it is, it's straight-up some total fuckin bullshit that you'll fight with a totally random lineup and the enemy lineup gets a speed advantage

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I just realized that Occult Scrawlings has nipples. Ew...

Also I've had 4 Collector fights in the first 26 weeks. It's not that hard a fight but it doesn't feel very special when it happens so often.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 4, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Just had a tense fight against Necromancer, my first level 3 boss. Was running with a Man-at-Arms, Crusader, Grave Robber and Plague Doctor who were all only at a few points of health for the last few fights. Didn't want to abandon mission though so decided to push through 'til bitter end. Got a Crusader (or MaA?) dodge +10 buff at a campsite, got into Necromancer fight with pretty much zero stress but veeery low health, and just concentrated on poisoning him with PD/GR while MaA kept buffing up the dodge/speed and Crusader kept marking himself with increased protection to absorb the skeleton damage. Just before killing Necromancer Crusader snapped from stress and got Abusive stressing out all party members even more, but with blighting + dodging the last remaining skeletons eventually got withered down just before everyone else developed afflictions too.

For the last few turns everyone kept teetering on the brink of death, with PD bringing alternating frontliners from the Death's Door. Magically, everyone survived with only Crusader Abusive, everyone else at 90+ stress and three party members at death's door.

Never thought I could get into a dungeon crawler this much, but here we are :allears:

Congrats on the win! Tier 3 bosses are no joke, especially without a dedicated healer. Interesting tactic using the Crusader to tank the skeletons.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, what's the deal with enemy encounters in hallways moving around? I'll have a section scouted and then, as I explore, I'll see new hallway fights pop up. Are those new ones coming into existence or existing ones "moving" over to new squares?

Also, the one terrible gameplay element that has no value in the game is the slow backtracking. There should just be a fast travel option between rooms you've explored, perhaps with a 5% ambush 5% hunger chance or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I believe they're new ones. Also, traps have a chance to respawn, too, so watch for those.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

sullat posted:

I believe they're new ones. Also, traps have a chance to respawn, too, so watch for those.

This game... no quarter given, huh...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do damage buffs or maluses affect how much damage, say, a plague doctor's blights do over time?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Do damage buffs or maluses affect how much damage, say, a plague doctor's blights do over time?

No, those only affect the initial damage of the attack, the DOT is entirely controlled by the skill level.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

It would be less obnoxious if a nighttime attack didn't auto-surprise

fighting at 0 light is already risky enough as it is, it's straight-up some total fuckin bullshit that you'll fight with a totally random lineup and the enemy lineup gets a speed advantage

On the plus side the whole ambush thing makes my high movement cru/maa/GR/vestal superteam feel even more OO

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Iron Chitlin posted:

No, those only affect the initial damage of the attack, the DOT is entirely controlled by the skill level.

Cool, so I can slap -DMG trinkets on e.g. plague doctors in more or less total safety. At least, when I remember to actually EQUIP trinkets; I always remember to unequip everyone after every sojourn but forget to re-equip alarmingly often :saddowns:

Kind of want to stop playing until the game releases officially in a couple of weeks, though, lest I burn myself out on the game. Do we know yet if anything's going to be added/changed for the release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I wouldn't mind if there was a "promote to next tier" option, and until you did it your guys wouldn't gain more xp.