Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Randalor posted:

Jolee Bindo was an awesome crazy old man though.

KotOR and KotOR 2 had the best morality choices outside of Planescape Torment.

HK-47 was the best companion in KOTOR 1 hands-down, especially playing as an evil character, meatbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He was a pretty awesome character, but he had a hard time competing with the space wizards for your active party slots.

It didn't help that Force Heal doesn't affect droids either.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mierenneuker posted:

He was a pretty awesome character, but he had a hard time competing with the space wizards for your active party slots.

It didn't help that Force Heal doesn't affect droids either.

I'm pretty sure I rolled with HK-47 and the Mandalorian mercenary for a pimping party of swaggering evil. :dealwithit::smugdog::frogc00l::c00lbert::whatup:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Jan 2, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love this article about being a KOTOR bastard: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-bastard-of-the-old-republic

Really sums up the depths of misery you can drag everyone around you down to.

I'd love for the author to do a write-up of his experiences doing the Pacifist then Genocide runs of Undertale.

It'd probably both overjoying and heartbreaking/disturbing in that order. :unsmigghh:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm pretty sure I rolled with HK-47 and the Mandalorian mercenary for a pimping party of swaggering evil. :dealwithit::smugdog::frogc00l::c00lbert::whatup:

I did the same, made for a fun little back and forth between honorable but harsh and just wanting you dead.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd love for the author to do a write-up of his experiences doing the Pacifist then Genocide runs of Undertale.
Bonus points for doing Pacifist after Genocide.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My favorite monster War For The Overworld is the Chunder, a replacement for the Troll from Dungeon Keeper 2, with a little bit of the Bile Demon. Instead of being gassy, Chunders are generally vomitous creatures, supposedly smell better than expected, and because of their unique horn shape, build devices by headbutting anvils :black101:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

If you don't accidentally beat yourself to death with your own shoes on your first round, someone is teaching you wrong.

Edit: My favorite thing about SS13 is experimenting to see what's actually possible. Like when, as a roboticist on a very slow round, I tried to find out if I could transplant a robot arm onto myself without help.

I did not succeed, but I survived, and even managed to get all my original limbs attached! I was very proud of myself that day.

I'm pretty sure they've patched this glitch out on every server that had it, but my favorite little thing in SS13 was covertly working as a chemist to generate a gas canister mixture with infinitely heated gases that was in the millions of degrees then remotely detonating it on a crowded part of the space station through the pneumatic delivery system like a Space Unabomber, ripping a massive hole in the station with a giant fireball then getting banned for abusing the chemistry system as I cackle with glee soon after.

What I'm saying is that SS13 is a wonderful game to troll in.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Strife posted:

SS13 is a game I've never played, or even seen screen shots of, but reading about it is just so tremendously entertaining to me.

The game looks like dogshit, the controls are clunky as hell, the learning curve for complex stuff like my example above can be a bit steep for newbies, and the input lag for actions is clunky and bad, but like Dwarf Fortress once you get the hang of it and the stars align (it can be boring and uneventful most rounds) SS13 experiences can be truly magical.

ESPECIALLY when things spiral out of control from the admins' intended consequences. :laugh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this really counts as a little thing I like about the game, but I'm so glad that the original intro to Freelancer wasn't used.

Cool: The sleeper ships left Earth and ran into their own problems against an alien race (and their alien masters) in another system.

Not cool: The sleeper ships left Earth, the minute we left those aliens came to Earth and blew up the sun, oh and some general went to that Other System to warn us about the aliens.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:agreed: Humanity leaving earth because we hosed it up too bad in a massive fuckoff war is a lot more compelling than humanity leaving earth for some reason and then aliens loving it up. Also that way the reveal of the Nomads (spoilers for a 13 year old game) is actually sort of a twist, instead of just finally getting to a plot point that was put in the intro.

Content: I like how you can play Fallout New Vegas as a murderous sociopath and still have a great reputation and high karma. So long as nobody actually sees you slit all those sleeping people's throats, everyone still thinks you're alright. I am the Saviour of the Wastes and I will murder any non-named sleeping person I feel like and everybody loves me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've mentioned it before but as I'm replaying Darksiders 2, it's worth repeating: Death is such a sarcastic bastard and though I usually detest characters that TVTropes describe as "snarky", the fact everyone shits on him just as bad in conversation is great. They're having none of his smart rear end theatrics and let him know it.

Hearing Death get increasingly irritated and anti-social as the game goes on is just great. :allears:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Been replaying Metroid Prime today and god drat, I had forgotten how much I loved this game. The scanning just adds so much to it all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My favorite little thing in Tales From the Borderlands is that the main protagonist is an unreliable narrator (and a total egotistical wimp). More point and click adventure games should have unreliable narrators. :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
After being gifted Undertale, I finally played and beat it, and drat, that game is just filled with a lot of little things that add up to some great stuff. The Earthbound notes are particularly strong in many cases.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My favorite little thing in Tales From the Borderlands is that the main protagonist is an unreliable narrator (and a total egotistical wimp). More point and click adventure games should have unreliable narrators. :allears:

so did you break his heart or blow his mind?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Like a lot of fighting games, Guilty Gear Xrd has stages that have background NPCs that react to the fight, but there's actually a couple of hidden character/stage specific animations.

If someone plays Potemkin (a military official) on his home stage, the soldiers in the background will salute when he wins and slump when he loses. :3:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Have you played it all the way through? Rhys can have a really nice character arc if you want him to.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So another Metro 2033 thing, this time from the second game Last Light - near the beginning of the game you get to the metro station under the Bolshoi Theatre. It's a short intermission where you can stock up on weapons and ammo and move on to your next assignment. There is actually a small theatre set up in the station that you move past, it's completely irrelevant to the rest of the game, but you can stay for a while and watch the performances. I was surprised how long it goes on for - there was a cancan dance, a mutant tamer, dude with an accordion, dude with guitar, fire show, two musician dudes together and probably more, but I left after that. All of this with unique animations and music that I don't think were used anywhere else, as well as a voiced announcement before every performance.

Pretty cool break from crawling through mutant- or nazi-infested dungeons, desperately fighting for life.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
To Be Or Not To Be, the Hamlet-based text game Ryan North did, has a special font option for dyslexic people. I thought that was neat.

Another neat thing is the ending where you, as Hamlet Sr.'s ghost, solve the problem yourself by making Claudius explode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thinky Whale posted:

To Be Or Not To Be, the Hamlet-based text game Ryan North did, has a special font option for dyslexic people. I thought that was neat.

Another neat thing is the ending where you, as Hamlet Sr.'s ghost, solve the problem yourself by making Claudius explode.

My roommate got that as a hard copy a few years back. It was a lot of fun. I don't recall what happens if you pick all the canonical choices though. Does it just take you through the plot of hamlet?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I'm not sure, I haven't tried that yet. I keep getting sidetracked into having undersea ghost exploration adventures or inventing central heating.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

poptart_fairy posted:

I've mentioned it before but as I'm replaying Darksiders 2, it's worth repeating: Death is such a sarcastic bastard and though I usually detest characters that TVTropes describe as "snarky", the fact everyone shits on him just as bad in conversation is great. They're having none of his smart rear end theatrics and let him know it.

Hearing Death get increasingly irritated and anti-social as the game goes on is just great. :allears:

I thought the Diablo loot system really hurt Darksiders 2, but Death was great and the ending was a really great kick in his balls too. You go through the game doing all the usual video game shite. Go here. Do this. Why? Because Joe the Dire-Badger said so. Then you beat the final boss and nothing happens. Then Death just goes, "Well what the gently caress did I expect to happen? I haven't had a god drat clue throughout this whole ordeal."

It may not play out EXACTLY like that, but that's how I remember it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Geniasis posted:

My roommate got that as a hard copy a few years back. It was a lot of fun. I don't recall what happens if you pick all the canonical choices though. Does it just take you through the plot of hamlet?

Pretty much, with a few asides by North criticising the characters/plot.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kaubocks posted:

so did you break his heart or blow his mind?

Which do you think?

Mind blown. :aaaaa: It was hilarious.

Another fun moment in a different game was the broom closet sequence in the Stanley Parable. It's my fah-voh-rite! :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Morpheus posted:

After being gifted Undertale, I finally played and beat it, and drat, that game is just filled with a lot of little things that add up to some great stuff. The Earthbound notes are particularly strong in many cases.

People are too quick to dismiss Undertale as overrated before they finally try it and come around to love it. You could even say it's quite the...

...underdog. :shittydog:

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I've just started playing, but in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds You have to collect a bunch of little shell creatures (I can't remember what they are called), but they squeak when they are close. And when you collect one, they squeak along with the doo do do doooooo sound.

:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Which do you think?

Mind blown. :aaaaa: It was hilarious.

Another fun moment in a different game was the broom closet sequence in the Stanley Parable. It's my fah-voh-rite! :downs:

I feel very concerned for you. You should seek help :ohdear:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I like how it is boarded shut in consecutive playthroughs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

People are too quick to dismiss Undertale as overrated before they finally try it and come around to love it. You could even say it's quite the...

...underdog. :shittydog:

The dogs were the best. Also the cooking lesson. And the date. gently caress, so much good stuff in that game.

One thing though. I will never, ever, and I mean ever be able to go through with a Genocide playthrough. No way in hell. After reading about what you have to become in order to do it, what it does to the world, and the (nearly) irreparable changes it makes to subsequent playthroughs? No way. But it's amazing that it was put in there in the first place, it's so much better than the usual piddly 'evil' playthroughs that games typically provide.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Don't you want to become closer to Your Best Friend? :unsmigghh:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I ALMOST did a genocide run on my 2nd playthrough. I just wanted to hear the slow music, but almost hosed myself completely.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Unfortunately the genocide run has the only two challenging fights in the game, so it was worth it just to see those

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Morpheus posted:

The dogs were the best. Also the cooking lesson. And the date. gently caress, so much good stuff in that game.

One thing though. I will never, ever, and I mean ever be able to go through with a Genocide playthrough. No way in hell. After reading about what you have to become in order to do it, what it does to the world, and the (nearly) irreparable changes it makes to subsequent playthroughs? No way. But it's amazing that it was put in there in the first place, it's so much better than the usual piddly 'evil' playthroughs that games typically provide.

What? You're telling me you don't enjoy some good old-fashioned heart-rending trauma? o'u'o

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What? You're telling me you don't enjoy some good old-fashioned heart-rending trauma? o'u'o

yee naw

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
You can tell a game does a good job when you feel a creeping sense of terror and dread every time you see that cute little murderous face.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somebody should photoshop that face onto the little girl in the white dress from LISA.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Geniasis posted:

More importantly, can you get Hamlet to check the castle tower to make sure no vampires have made it into your home base?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm both slow and wrong because I'm posting about Final Fantasy XIII in this thread in the year two thousand and six-teen, but man it is so goddamn satisfying to juggle enemies with Launch. :allears:

I'm skipping cutscenes and the combat's fun, bite me. Not even up to Pulse yet. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

my girlfriend won't let me do a genocide run :(