Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

My 2013 Moto X has always been pathetic with struggling to play music over bluetooth.

Like, it will work fine if nothing else is going on, but if the phone tries to do more than one thing at a time it starts skipping and stuttering like crazy. For example, if I start music sitting in my driveway while connected to WiFi, as I pull away and switch over to 4G there's a bunch of stuttering. Or, if I try loading up GMaps, a bunch of stuttering. 25% of the time, it acts like its playing music or a podcast...the time stamp keeps advancing...but nothing actually plays until I toggle BT on and off. Just a lot of circumstances where it doesn't work smoothly.

Yeah, now imagine your phone doing this even when you're NOT doing anything with it. That's my Moto G. It's why I'm very hesitant on buying the Moto X Pure. Everyone on here and reddit said it hasn't happened to them, but punch it into google and there are people talking about their problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Bluetooth used to work fine on my Moto Maxx, but after not using it for a while it's having a ton of problems connecting to my speaker. It just won't see the device, even after toggling BT off and on again. Rebooting fixed it, but that's a pain in the rear end.

I don't think I've used any BT devices that didn't have some amount of jank to them though, even the mice needed to be rebooted after a while. At least it's easier to do with those.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

isndl posted:

Bluetooth used to work fine on my Moto Maxx, but after not using it for a while it's having a ton of problems connecting to my speaker. It just won't see the device, even after toggling BT off and on again. Rebooting fixed it, but that's a pain in the rear end.

I don't think I've used any BT devices that didn't have some amount of jank to them though, even the mice needed to be rebooted after a while. At least it's easier to do with those.

I know bluetooth isn't the best standard, but I've had so many problems with My Moto G it's not even funny. On the same speakers/devices that my previous Galaxy s4 had absolutely no problems with, and my current Galaxy Tab doesent either. Seems like Motorola just fucks up bluetooth somehow

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
With my S6 I have zero problems with Bluetooth streaming to cheap speakers off amazon. The head unit in my Jeep (stock head unit) seems to really dislike Bluetooth.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

My 2013 Moto X has always been pathetic with struggling to play music over bluetooth.

Like, it will work fine if nothing else is going on, but if the phone tries to do more than one thing at a time it starts skipping and stuttering like crazy. For example, if I start music sitting in my driveway while connected to WiFi, as I pull away and switch over to 4G there's a bunch of stuttering.

Yep, my '14 X has always done this too. I have to try to remember not to play anything until I'm a block away from home, otherwise it'll stutter like crazy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yep, my '14 X has always done this too. I have to try to remember not to play anything until I'm a block away from home, otherwise it'll stutter like crazy.

Really makes you wonder what's going on with Motorola when multiple phones of their's experiences the same exact bluetooth problems. I think I'll just pick up a Nexus 6p 64 gig when they're available in the color I want again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really makes you wonder what's going on with Motorola when multiple phones of their's experiences the same exact bluetooth problems. I think I'll just pick up a Nexus 6p 64 gig when they're available in the color I want again.
Starting with 6.0.1 my 6P occasionally disconnects completely from my car while driving. No explanation, just drops it. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. Never did it on the original 6.0 release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had an absolute bitch of a time paring my Nexus 5x to my car. It just flat out refused to recognize the car was there. It took multiple power cycles of both the device and my car's headunit before it would show up.

You want to know why Moto seemingly has trouble with bluetooth? It's because it's a stock device and stock Android has a complete and total garbage bluetooth implementation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Never had any Bluetooth issues on my Nexus 4/7/6p (or my G3 for that matter). Multiple different Android versions, multiple devices.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I had an absolute bitch of a time paring my Nexus 5x to my car. It just flat out refused to recognize the car was there. It took multiple power cycles of both the device and my car's headunit before it would show up.

You want to know why Moto seemingly has trouble with bluetooth? It's because it's a stock device and stock Android has a complete and total garbage bluetooth implementation.

Maybe they should take a page out of Samsung's book on this then, because they seem to have a much superior bluetooth experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

Never had any Bluetooth issues on my Nexus 4/7/6p (or my G3 for that matter). Multiple different Android versions, multiple devices.

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Nexus 9.

All have had issues that eventually caused me to give up and dig out the 3.5mm audio cable. Multiple versions, multiple devices.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Karthe posted:

I've been using Simple World Clock Widget for about a year or so and I love it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chibatching.worldclockwidget

Each clock is a widget that's completely customizable, so you can pick a time zone, call it whatever you want, and freely adjust its font sizes and colors. Then you just move it around like a typical widget. And if you want you can set each widget to launch an app when you tap it.

This is perfect, thank you.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone here that has a Moto X Pure comment on streaming music through Bluetooth? How's the performance, does it stutter/skip/pop when doing so or is it fine?

E: asking because I've owned multiple Motorola phones that seem to have trouble streaming music over Bluetooth, and Google searches are telling me the X Pure has trouble also sometimes. I was going to get the phone but this would steer me away from it.

Flawless for me. I stream in the car, to bt headphones while running, to a large sound bar and to a small bt speaker. No issues with any of these.

E: it's not bt but I also frequently chromecast EPL football to my TV with 0 problems.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dissss posted:

bull3964 posted:

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Nexus 9.

All have had issues that eventually caused me to give up and dig out the 3.5mm audio cable. Multiple versions, multiple devices.

I love how we always have this dynamic in this thread.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It's great that this thread seems to be descending into a bluetooth hate/love thread at the same time that my MXP is loving failing at BT. It connects fine, but then it gives me the Connected (no audio) disclaimer. It's worthless other than calls, although I haven't tested to see if calls actually work.

It was working literally 3 days ago. And I can't go back to the audio cable solution because Honda decided that such connections were OUTDATED and stuck an HDMI port in its place. Thanks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problem with Bluetooth is it's dependent on the devices at both ends of the connection. Like I said I've never had a single issue, but that's only with the specific set of devices I've needed to connect to.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
After a couple months I just got the first scratches on my Moto X Pure, I think i laid it screen-down where I shouldn't have. Is there anything I could do? (internet is suggesting toothpaste) Or should I just give up and accept that they'll be there for the rest of the couple years I use this phone?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Logikv9 posted:

It's great that this thread seems to be descending into a bluetooth hate/love thread at the same time that my MXP is loving failing at BT. It connects fine, but then it gives me the Connected (no audio) disclaimer. It's worthless other than calls, although I haven't tested to see if calls actually work.

It was working literally 3 days ago. And I can't go back to the audio cable solution because Honda decided that such connections were OUTDATED and stuck an HDMI port in its place. Thanks.

I have a 16 Accord EX-L, where is this HDMI port and what does it do??

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
A quick googling suggests they got rid of the HDMI port in (some) 2016s and use USB instead as they have Apple CarPlay, before that they had their own Display Audio which used HDMI(+USB?). Though apparently it was on Civics and not Accords anyways.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DemonMage posted:

A quick googling suggests they got rid of the HDMI port in (some) 2016s and use USB instead as they have Apple CarPlay, before that they had their own Display Audio which used HDMI(+USB?). Though apparently it was on Civics and not Accords anyways.

Ah, makes sense. Honda did a good job of integrating AA and CP with their two displays. Even having data from the Phone showing up on both displays.

Would have loved an HDMI port to play with. Can see my N7 camping out in my glovebox if so.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Often when I open Google Now, I swipe away a card before searching for something. However, this puts up a "done for now" message that mostly covers up the space bar on my keyboard. When this happens, I have to back out of the search bar. Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TraderStav posted:

I have a 16 Accord EX-L, where is this HDMI port and what does it do??

Congrats on your better car. The HDMI is usually worthless, as it only works when the car is stationary. This is fine for things like watching movies, and bad for things like using it as a mirror for navigation.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Often when I open Google Now, I swipe away a card before searching for something. However, this puts up a "done for now" message that mostly covers up the space bar on my keyboard. When this happens, I have to back out of the search bar. Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?

Scroll up a bit before you search

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Congrats on your better car. The HDMI is usually worthless, as it only works when the car is stationary. This is fine for things like watching movies, and bad for things like using it as a mirror for navigation.

Wasn't trying to boast but be specific about the trim level to compare.

Thanks on the info, guess it would sound better than it would play out in reality.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TraderStav posted:

Wasn't trying to boast but be specific about the trim level to compare.

Thanks on the info, guess it would sound better than it would play out in reality.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that you were boasting! I have the 2015 Fit EX and it (and the next model year) lack Android Auto when they really, really should be installed with it. It's really dumb and the Hondalink features they advertised aren't even available for Android. I honestly think that the Accord (and Civic, and any other Honda/car with AA) is better. I didn't mean the misunderstanding.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that you were boasting! I have the 2015 Fit EX and it (and the next model year) lack Android Auto when they really, really should be installed with it. It's really dumb and the Hondalink features they advertised aren't even available for Android. I honestly think that the Accord (and Civic, and any other Honda/car with AA) is better. I didn't mean the misunderstanding.

No worries, Internet lacks voice inflection.

Looks like 2017 is the year where AA/CP begin hitting the mainstream more. I hope Google focuses on improving the performance of AA because as of right now it decays very quickly. I was very surprised as to how laggy and unresponsive it would get on my N5x. No excuse for not answering a phone call before going to voicemail.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've had a 2015 Moto XP since early October and I use bluetooth a lot on various portable speakers (like listening to music/sports during golf rounds for 5 hrs or farting around the garage) as well as in my 2013 BMW and have had no problems at all.

The range is not as good as my old iphone 6 though - at least with the Pyle Soundbox and Bose Soundlink Color I use.

Oh, I also ran into some T-Mobile Band 12 finally as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 4, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Scroll up a bit before you search

Well yeah, if I remember before I hit the search box. The problem is that I often forget, and the message will stick around indefinitely.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Returned my 5X because the power button was honestly just pissing me off way too much. Nothing else about the phone bothered me, but if a button I'm going to be pressing like 100 times a day feels like poo poo, that's kind of a dealbreaker. Maybe that's really stupid of me, but here we are. Back on the LG G4.

I still don't hate the G4, but I was thinking about a 6P instead. Since I'm sure lots of people in this thread have one: how's the power button on the 6P? Is it nice and 'clicky', like a Samsung phone (say what you will; samsungs have great power buttons) or mushy and lovely like an LG/Motorola button?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Well yeah, if I remember before I hit the search box. The problem is that I often forget, and the message will stick around indefinitely.

If you're doing it often enough for it to bug you it won't take long before you don't even have to think about it

I don't think you're going to find any other fix

Daily Forecast posted:

Returned my 5X because the power button was honestly just pissing me off way too much. Nothing else about the phone bothered me, but if a button I'm going to be pressing like 100 times a day feels like poo poo, that's kind of a dealbreaker. Maybe that's really stupid of me, but here we are. Back on the LG G4.

Bit late now but if you have one of the official portfolio cases (or I guess any other 'smart' case) you'll never use the power button unless you have to turn the thing off

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 4, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skarsnik posted:

Bit late now but if you have one of the official portfolio cases (or I guess any other 'smart' case) you'll never use the power button unless you have to turn the thing off

Power button to turn the phone on and off is just way too much of an ingrained habit, though. Plus, having to deal with some kinda flipphone bullshit is also just another compromise.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You consider opening a case 'some kind of flip phone bullshit' ?

You deserve a samsung

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skarsnik posted:

You consider opening a case 'some kind of flip phone bullshit' ?

Yes, because you flip... the phone... open.

It's annoying compared to pulling it out of your pocket, hitting the power button as you do, and oh look there's your phone, ready to go. Having to fuss with this abomination every time you want to use your phone sounds honestly like a loving terrible solution.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Daily Forecast posted:

I still don't hate the G4, but I was thinking about a 6P instead. Since I'm sure lots of people in this thread have one: how's the power button on the 6P? Is it nice and 'clicky', like a Samsung phone (say what you will; samsungs have great power buttons) or mushy and lovely like an LG/Motorola button?

No, I inadvertently turned my 6P off in my pocket 2 or more times in the like, 5 days I owned it. You'd think they could spare some decent micro-switches for their flagship phone(s)...

My LG Nexus 5 and Moto Maxx both had better switches, and Motorola also added in a separate dialogue box to confirm shutdown/restart.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daily Forecast posted:

or mushy and lovely like an LG/Motorola button?

When was the last time you felt a Motorola power button, and on what phone? The button on my 2014 X is pretty clicky, I'd say.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

When was the last time you felt a Motorola power button, and on what phone? The button on my 2014 X is pretty clicky, I'd say.

Nexus 6 and Moto G both had pretty mushy power buttons, at least the ones I tried. Is the X Pure/Play better in that department?

Man, gently caress that, then.

All I want is a phone with a good power button. :negative:

G4's power button is actually very good but why does it have to be on the back

edit: By mushy power button I mean that it WORKS, but there's no click and the button just kind of slides instead of feeling tactile and responsive. If I wasn't looking at the phone screen I wouldn't know I'd turned it on at all. Maybe I'm just unlucky and different phones are just machined differently/worse, but I don't think "mushy finger" is a real thing.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Just pressed my 6p power button, audible click was heard. It was very satisfying.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So for the sake of this silly discussion, I've got my 5x out of the case and the power button is plenty clicky

Have you considered maybe it is your finger that is mushy?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just pressed my MXP power button, now I'm turned on af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Why are you idiots with Motorola phones even pressing the power button?

Moto Display 4 Lyfe