Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No way you'd be able to reach a top button on the Plus versions.
Holding my 6S as I normally do, the side button sits right where why my thumb falls. Putting it on top would require all sorts of hand shifting. For me, at least. I realize others have different hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my point, I want to shift my hand to power the phone off. It's way too easy too accidentally blip it during normal use.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

xzzy posted:

That's my point, I want to shift my hand to power the phone off. It's way too easy too accidentally blip it during normal use.

Yeah I've had my 6s since launch and i still hit the power button by mistake (especially when trying to use the "volume" button as a camera shutter. Instead of taking the picture I lock the phone..)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do you guys lack motor control due to multiple sclerosis or what?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The 5's lock button was in such a perfect place as a lefty. I miss it on my 6s.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No way you'd be able to reach a top button on the Plus versions.

Nah it's not that, it's that I change my volume every loving time I go to lock the phone. If they swapped the SIM and sleep buttons, it would be totally fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nah it's not that, it's that I change my volume every loving time I go to lock the phone. If they swapped the SIM and sleep buttons, it would be totally fine.

Seconding this. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put buttons on opposite sides of something that you grip like this should be fired. Especially with the leather case where you have to hit the lock button harder for it to work.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah this is slightly annoying but honestly after the first or second time I did that by accident, it hasn't happened again :shrug: I didn't realize so many people were struggling to dodge the buttons on their phones. Literally only had an iPhone 6 for like 2 or 3 months and have hit the buttons by accident maybe a grand total of 3 times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you can't your iPhone in sleep without adjusting the volume, you are a literal mutant. Hth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not the end of the world, but having to shift your grip to hit a button that is situated under your finger or thumb already is a weird design choice. Six or so years of muscle memory in changing phone volume is surprisingly hard to reverse.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 2, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Concerning comments in this thread about the cold effecting iPhone batteries: I've seen several phones in the shop with people complaining about how their phones have died in 30-40 degree weather with 40% battery life left. The phones have always passed all tests and we've just sent the customers on their way.

Tonight, I was working on my truck in the garage, and I set my phone on a stand. I had been checking the phone off and on, including phone calls and such for around 2 hours. About 15 minutes ago, I went to wake my phone after about 20 minutes of non activity, and it died on me. I plugged it in, and it woke up within seconds, with 40% left on the battery. So, I ran iOS diagnostics, and everything checks out. It's about 30 degrees at the moment, though it was around 40 when I put it on the stand. I have never had issues with this phone before now, so I am suspecting that iPhones left out in near freezing temps can effect the battery. I know most of you are saying "duh", but there have been people in this thread stating that 30 degrees isn't cold enough to effect battery life, so as an apple and iOS certified tech, I thought I might mention my own anecdotal experience.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it makes a difference if the phone itself is actually 30 degrees or if it is in your pocket or hand while the air is 30 degrees.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

withak posted:

I think it makes a difference if the phone itself is actually 30 degrees or if it is in your pocket or hand while the air is 30 degrees.

Left my son's mini in the car overnight and it was dead the next day. It had over 50% when it was last used the night prior. Car is parked outside and it's been dropping to like 28. So yea, I believe it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I've had iphones (4 at the time, I think) die with more than half battery left when I brought it up a mountain at around 0 degrees celsius (~30f). Trying to boot it back up produced the low batt sign. Once I got back down to where it was around 10c it booted right back up with the old battery life still displayed

Making the entire case out of milled aluminium probably made the problem worse since its basically a giant heatsink, and the chips inside cannot possibly produce heat faster than the phone radiates it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I've had iphones (4 at the time, I think) die with more than half battery left when I brought it up a mountain at around 0 degrees celsius (~30f). Trying to boot it back up produced the low batt sign. Once I got back down to where it was around 10c it booted right back up with the old battery life still displayed

Making the entire case out of milled aluminium probably made the problem worse since its basically a giant heatsink, and the chips inside cannot possibly produce heat faster than the phone radiates it

Sounds like you need the Otterbox Insulated or Mophie Active Heating Element

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Does dilztronic make one? I don't want to spend more than $0.99 for it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The minimum operating temperature of an iPhone is listed as 32F, just as an FYI.

It'll hit ambient temperature very rapidly if it's not in your hand.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

It'll hit ambient temperature very rapidly if it's not in your hand.

Not exactly. It's below freezing outside, I have my window wide open, I'm reading 21C in my unit without any heating on. Ambient temperature isn't everything. I've told the story before but my 3GS survived perfectly fine face down in the snow on top of a mountain for nearly an hour with people skiing over it. Hell, I've started my car without a block heater in -40 with the windchill. They're not really so fragile.

Buddy had the same problem with his iPhone 4S, phone shuts down around 40%, boots back up with a short charge at 30%, weird things going on - happened to me with my 5 too to a lesser extent. Swapping out the battery for a new one fixed it.

Phone batteries get cycled more than any others and cycles is what kills lithium batteries. For example I've had my rMBP since Nov 2014 and it only has 15 cycles on it, my 6S I got on release though probably has over 100, maybe even more. Battery tech still sucks, guys. If you're out of warranty, go to your local repair store and drop the 40-60 bucks on a new battery.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No offense intended but I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make.

That batteries just suck and it's NOT cold that causes shutdowns despite lots of anecdotal evidence as well as posted indications confirming the same?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

No offense intended but I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make.

That batteries just suck and it's NOT cold that causes shutdowns despite lots of anecdotal evidence as well as posted indications confirming the same?

No offense taken. The point I'm trying to make is that cold makes the batteries less efficient, sure, but the battery probably isn't as cold as you think it is. I tried to allude to that by saying it's room temperature in my place with the heating off despite my window open and it being below freezing outside. The reality is that modern rechargeable batteries that are frequently cycled do exhibit some weird behaviours that are fixed by replacing the battery.

I'm saying I've seen it happen. New battery fixes it. Yeah, these things aren't ever-lasting, such is life...

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I must be the only person to have never had temperature issues with my phone. I go snowboarding with it every year, using it for music (so I know it hasn't cut out without me noticing) and GPS tracking, and it's never drained faster than normal - in actual fact I've always seen significantly better battery life than at home due to having data roaming turned off.

This isn't in some tropical ski resort either - the coldest I remember experiencing was -35 degrees (-31 in your moon measurements) in France, and still had no problems that day. Maybe I just emit enough heat myself to counterbalance the outside temperature :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

You underestimate how much heat a modern processor can generate.

Get rid the heat sink and a desktop processor would melt itself to death in 5 seconds. Almost all modern chips have internal thermal controls to prevent that, they throttle processing speed to try and stay alive (by a lot, like 90% or more). Mobile processors are necessarily cooler because they don't have as much power available to draw but run flat out they could bake themselves to death too.

I'm not saying this justifies the "heat sink iPhone" design but processors do in fact make a lot of heat if they're allowed to.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Froist posted:

Maybe I just emit enough heat myself to counterbalance the outside temperature :shrug:

Yeah, you do. That's why the recommendation for decades and decades has been to keep your devices and spare batteries in an inside pocket.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Apple explicitly states on their website that leaving your phone out in temperatures below 32 degrees F (30 or 28 being lower than 32) will cause battery drains and perhaps the phone turning off. So what is the issue? That it shouldn't happen? Should we complain when our mountain bikes can't ride over nails without losing air pressure even though the manufacturer specifies that certain objects or conditions will deteriorate or pierce the rubber?

"Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0ş and 35ş C (32ş to 95ş F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures."

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Look, if you don't immediately slam a new iPhone into an Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case, then that's on you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Look, if you don't immediately slam a new iPhone into an Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case, then that's on you.

This is the truth right here. It's the perfect case and if you disagree you should go take a nap naked in sub-zero temperatures.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn't people complain the brown leather case aged poorly?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

smackfu posted:

Didn't people complain the brown leather case aged poorly?

Brown != Saddle Brown

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

As someone who just picked up a 6S today and loves the naked iPhone, convince me why the Saddle Brown is the way to go? I was entertaining the idea of looking into those 'stickers' (for lack of a better term) so that I don't add any bulk but still don't scratch up the back of the phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TraderStav posted:

As someone who just picked up a 6S today and loves the naked iPhone, convince me why the Saddle Brown is the way to go? I was entertaining the idea of looking into those 'stickers' (for lack of a better term) so that I don't add any bulk but still don't scratch up the back of the phone.

Besides the insane beauty of a natural aging brown leather wrapping your phone in the most sexual tones of dead cow that exist. The feel my man, the feel of a 3 month old apple leather case is unreal. It's like holding your grandfather's father's leather binocular case, soft, supple, a bit clingy. It is nirvana, it is heaven, it is orgasmic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Besides the insane beauty of a natural aging brown leather wrapping your phone in the most sexual tones of dead cow that exist. The feel my man, the feel of a 3 month old apple leather case is unreal. It's like holding your grandfather's father's leather binocular case, soft, supple, a bit clingy. It is nirvana, it is heaven, it is orgasmic.

Well, that is quite the endorsement. How much bulk does it add?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Well, that is quite the endorsement. How much bulk does it add?

Extremely minimal actually, it's very snug. I would say it takes it from too thin to just right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's so goddamn sexy after it ages a bit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

I had a 3GS, a 4S and a 5S and never felt the need for a case, but I find the naked 6S to be too slippery. Probably a combination of the increased size and the lack of edges. My only complaint is that the volume and sleep buttons are a lot stiffer in the case. I definitely like how it makes the stupid camera protrusion go away though.

Haven't had it long enough to know about long-term durability but it is leather so it will obviously change over time.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 3, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

drat you guys, I'm going to drop $45 today I think.

Looks awesome.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

drat you guys, I'm going to drop $45 today I think.

Looks awesome.

I was one of those guys that balked at spending $50 for a case and I would go through lots of other brands and cheap ones from Amazon. When I got my 6, I figured I would try one of the leather cases. I regret not going with them earlier.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I was caseless on every single cell phone (and PDA) I had ever owned until the 6. The thing is just too drat slippery. Three weeks into owning it the thing slipped out of my hand, hit asphalt, and spiderwebbed the screen. Never cracked a screen on my 4 year old caseless iPhone 1 or three year old iPhone 4S with multiple drops. Wasn't about to have it happen again.

The apple leather case makes it sticky enough to hold but still easily comes out of pockets, it protects the edges from dings, and it nullifies the camera zit. Yeah, it costs money, but the thing ages incredibly well and barely adds any thickness to the phone.

If the 7 is not as slick feeling, I would go back to being caseless.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
But does/would the apple leather case really protect a 6S+'s(Oh Gawd) edges and screen in the event of a drop?

Or is the leather case so grippy drops don't exist?

I am getting the 6S+ today and want to protect it like the fabergé egg it is. If the apple leather case does that, surfs up dude.

If I am concerned about it not being enough is there another case that provides more protection that's recommended?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my saddle brown case. It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IDK why you people keep talking about boring saddle brown when orange is right there.