Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh also I'm apparently somehow akin to correcting people about Hitler

Which is a funny analogy, because in a thread discussing the holocaust I would imagine that since its history discussion correcting any misinformation would be a good thing.

God, reddit is such an awful community and the SC subreddit is the among the worst subs. The only right opinion is the groupthink opinion. Not that I'd encourage vote brigading, but folks who are otherwise engaged in the reddits should definitely go try and combat the general nastiness over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Here, let me just compare and contrast design documents and reality for more-or-less everything they've actually implemented. Perhaps we will see a pattern start to emerge.

Ship Components- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems
Ship Components- Reality: You can drag-and-drop some guns and shields onto your ship in a confusing menu where half the time things don't work right. They may or may not appear in-game. No other components do anything.

Shields- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14489-Shields-Management
Shields- Reality: You can kind of move power around but really nobody ever does that because ships are so flippy-spinny that you are unlikely to get shot from the same direction twice. Shields on big ships take 5+ minutes to charge.

Repair- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance
Repair- Reality: Land on a platform and a drone fixes your ship automatically in seconds.

Medical stuff- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14318-Healing-Your-Spacemen
Medical Stuff- Reality: You can grab a health pack in certain stations and then press a button to make your health number go up.

FPS Stances- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-FPS-Stances-Breathing
FPS Stances- Reality: You can crouch or lie down because those are pretty much default cryengine poses.

Rental Credits- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14502-Rental-Equipment-Credits
Rental Credits- Reality: You have to complete a game of Arena Commander to even earn any REC and that's a 40+ minute endeavor, assuming good copilots and your game doesn't crash. At the end of it you will get maybe 1500 REC. You need 15,000 to rent a ship. Good loving luck. (Also you can't do any ship rental in-game, it's all through the website)

It feels weird coming back to reading about Star Citizen after ignoring it for over a year and finding things somehow not just as-much off the rails as it was when they were struggling to release the first DFM, but somehow exponentially more off the rails.

Why do the seem to want to invest this much level of detail (breathing? limb damage?) in to a first person shooter mode? I mean I know the answer to that, but there has to be a point where some mechanic will cause CR to say "hey...maybe this isn't really that important to the game?"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In a way I'm excited to go back to work tomorrow. For the last two weeks I've been on vacation and I've been busy doing stuff and playing games (hey you should get Helldivers) but once I'm back at work I won't have anything better to do than poo poo up the SC thread again.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SuperSpiff posted:

God, reddit is such an awful community and the SC subreddit is the among the worst subs. The only right opinion is the groupthink opinion. Not that I'd encourage vote brigading, but folks who are otherwise engaged in the reddits should definitely go try and combat the general nastiness over there.
Why bother

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Lowtax posted:

Why bother

We should fight ebaumsworld next.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

In that excellent write-up, you missed one simple thing in the equation: NONE of the above is going to MAKE them MONEY. So they won't do it. Such a correction is the last thing they want atm because not only will it completely and utterly gently caress the whales and those retarded fucks who thought they were special, it will also generate a shitstorm. Anyway, since the game is never coming out, they don't have to do anything at all. And they won't.

Well they would make money on selling the limited ships (with a real definition of limited) and cosmetic stuff. But you're right that it's less profitable than simply not giving a gently caress about the health of your game so there's no way CIG would do it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

This is all very depressing. Help us Derek - you're our only hope.

http://i.imgur.com/o7uSOan.gifv

:perfect: You are definitely my favorite new goon of 2015.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm logging in see you in the 'Universe Commandos!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:negative:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Every time I read Lowtax's posts I read it in his voice......

which is weird since I don't know what he sounds like.... :ghost:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Why bother

Because Chris taught us to be this way

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

This is all very depressing. Help us Derek - you're our only hope.

http://i.imgur.com/o7uSOan.gifv

Add this...

https://m.soundcloud.com/logicalsabotage/star-wars-medley-airhorn-edition

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mordred posted:

Oh thank god I was afraid you had come to your senses and the comedy was over.

Oh please. Like there's any known cure for pure adulterated insanity. I'm in for the long haul and since it's a new year, I have a whole bag full of fucks I'm going to be dishing out.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sarsapariller posted:

My better guess is that they will at some point implement buying and selling, probably from a console, and the poo poo will automatically be deposited in your "inventory." If you're really lucky you might see some visual representation in the cargo hold but probably not. Things will have a largely static value which can be manipulated slightly up and down through oversupply, but really you won't have any lasting impact on economies because that would be hard and open to exploitation. The quickest exploit will be a teleport hack between stations, the second quickest will be some form of bot supply chain. Hyperinflation in the player economy will be rampant and people will basically not be able to afford anything unless they buy it through the cash store because botters will be throwing millions of UEC around. CIG will say "What an amazing alpha version of the economy we have for you!" Fans will proclaim it to be the best thing ever made.

This is my guess because it is the system from Freelancer, coupled with the same thing that happens to every MMO that doesn't work to avoid it. There's nothing to indicate that they have the will to do more than that, or that they have the experience to protect it from inevitable exploitation as soon as there's some minor reason to do so.

My bet is that they have not even considered how the hell the economy is going to work. If they had they would not have said 99% of what they said about the economy. Hell, 3 years ago if they had asked me I probably would have consulted for them. I wouldn't touch that job for high six figure money right now. It's a cluster gently caress that can't be fixed without pissing off a lot of people.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think a Javelin will go for 25 million UEC before it goes for 2.5. I absolutely think that CIG hosed themselves royally with their UEC sales and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to perform some kind of massive correction. Backers are already pissed at them locking the purchases down and preventing melting, as if someone buying a Omnisky VI instead of a mass driver is somehow going to matter one bit relative to people melting starships.

If I were CIG I would bite the bullet and make the change right now. Stop all UEC sales, melt every purchased weapon/components/whatever back to UEC, credit all accounts with an amount equivalent to whatever amount of UEC was purchased (and offer refunds to those who want it), and then give every backer a monthly stipend of REC equivalent to whatever amount of UEC they have plus the UEC value of their packages. I would then put every cosmetic item from the VD store into the main store. You want a poster? Great spend $1 and get it to your hangar. Yes you can melt it whenever you want. You want that weird space lobster thing? Awesome, $1. Everything else would be covered by REC. As an example I currently have 20,000 UEC in my wallet, bought 20,000 UEC a long time ago (go ahead and laugh I was retarded), UEC items worth 44,000 and packages with 21,000 UEC in them. So in my solution $20 would get credited back to my account, my wallet would contain 44,000 UEC, and every month I would get 65,000 REC to gently caress around with. Magically I no longer give a poo poo about UEC while CIG figures out WTF to do because I'm not locked into anything, the gameplay related stuff is all purchased with face spacebux, and the only thing I can buy now are cosmetic things like fish and posters.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that CIG has the ship economy hosed as well, mostly because with the exception of the Scythe, Glaive, Idris, 890, and Javelin nothing is really limited. So it may very well be that once the game goes live everyone and their mother will have melted down their packages to fly Super Hornets or whatever the gently caress the meta says is the best and now balance is hosed. Since the insurance mechanic supposedly requires new ships to actually be built before they can replaced that's going to really suck when hundreds of thousands of spergs have LTI on the Aegis Rapetrain but only thirty of them are made every month. I wonder how well backers will handle their insurance adjuster saying "your ship is number 154,923 in the queue, with a delivery scheduled for between seventeen and twenty years from now". Instead CIG should take advantage of their store software and actually make limited ships limited. This is not rocket science.

If the Super Hornet is designed so that for every million pilots only ten thousand are available, then the number of available Super Hornets should be N/100 where N is the number of game accounts. The most ubiquitous ships would likely have very generous amounts that would effectively be unlimited, but the rare stuff would actually be rare again. Make it so that limited ships can only be melted (not gifted) and then give each ship a queue. You want a Banu Merchantman? Well there's 374 people ahead of you but more backers are being added every day and you never know when one gets melted. Give backers the option to pre-pay or have 24 hours to purchase the ship once their token is reached.

But what the gently caress do I know, I'm just some random rear end in a top hat who thinks what they're doing is dumb.

Probably true. I just don't see how they can fix it at this point. Limited really should have meant limited. the queue also could have made LTI more valuable by increasing your position in the queue. Kind of like EA does with premium on battlefield.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Because Chris taught us to be this way

I was the OP in that thread :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen themed desk, custom welded and built

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

So that's what poor taste looks like, huh?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Did he forget to turn on the green screen effect to make it look much cooler or does he just have a thing for puke-green walls?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:yikes:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Lowtax posted:

Well I certainly don't want to lay the blame on gamers, but they have accepted more and more grind as a natural part of any new game process. MMOs are mostly to blame, since they have entire economies based around other people playing your game for you so you don't have to spend your time grinding. I mean think about that concept; you are paying money for a game, which is supposed to be fun, and then you're paying somebody else to play it for you because it is not fun.

Gamers in general have grown to not only accept this, but to a certain extent, embrace it, and I find that utterly bizarre.

Well it started with the Ultima/Everquest mechanic. That is where grinds really started. I believe this is a symptom of the popularity of MMOs. The reason it's continued is that the business side of gaming has accepted this is a brilliant way to make money and the gamers accept it. Any attempt to pay yourself out of the grind is considered pay to win and is demonized. That's just my laymen observation of what's happened over the past 20 years.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Like, I love green (its my favorite color) and I am definitely a nerd sperg when it comes to PC stuff, but that ... is just putrid.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lowtax posted:

Well I certainly don't want to lay the blame on gamers, but they have accepted more and more grind as a natural part of any new game process. MMOs are mostly to blame, since they have entire economies based around other people playing your game for you so you don't have to spend your time grinding. I mean think about that concept; you are paying money for a game, which is supposed to be fun, and then you're paying somebody else to play it for you because it is not fun.

Gamers in general have grown to not only accept this, but to a certain extent, embrace it, and I find that utterly bizarre.

They're just skinner boxes; it's the same basic principle behind slots and video poker, a simple input with a reliable but not constant source of positive reinforcement. It's not so much a new development as a refinement of something that's been with human civilization for ages. Think about how historically crazy folks have gotten about pinball, to the point of actually enacting laws and writing music about a simple mechanical game where you bat a metal ball around and some lights flash at you. Boil it down to its core and MMOs are just a 21st century pinball, only now you can pay for the privilege of longer paddles if you want that positive reinforcement to be more regular.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That desk has no holes or anything for cables. And the reflective top is terrible and obscures the uh.... art.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

3 posted:

They're just skinner boxes; it's the same basic principle behind slots and video poker, a simple input with a reliable but not constant source of positive reinforcement. It's not so much a new development as a refinement of something that's been with human civilization for ages. Think about how historically crazy folks have gotten about pinball, to the point of actually enacting laws and writing music about a simple mechanical game where you bat a metal ball around and some lights flash at you. Boil it down to its core and MMOs are just a 21st century pinball, only now you can pay for the privilege of longer paddles if you want that positive reinforcement to be more regular.

It's absolutely the same concept.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i hope they put pinball machines in SC that you can buy and keep in your space ship and the ball physics will be dependent upon what you have your artificial gravity setting is at

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

/r/starcitizen - Refund Denied

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i hope they put pinball machines in SC that you can buy and keep in your space ship and the ball physics will be dependent upon what you have your artificial gravity setting is at

you should pitch this in the next 10 for the chairman

space ghandi posted:

be the change you wish to see in the verse

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Two part question:
How much would Hitler have pledged to the kickstarter?

So much immersion; just like real life.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe I can make part of my space ship look like a living room covered in filth with a nice pc in the corner where I can play in game copies of wing commander

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

im green with envy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

2DCAT posted:

Two part question:
How much would Hitler have pledged to the kickstarter?

So much immersion; just like real life.

I have a very immersive video coming up showing the immersiveness of multi crew

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

[Suggestion] Fully-Integrated bug reporting in future Star Citizen builds

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6188527/#Comment_6188527

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a custom desk, I would've thought he could have at least made an L-shaped one for more space.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is one of those times a good 'who rattled your cage?' would have been great

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isn't this exactly what a Customer Support is for?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That desk has no holes or anything for cables. And the reflective top is terrible and obscures the uh.... art.

He took his queues on usability from restoration hardware

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Unfunny Poster posted:

Isn't this exactly what a Customer Support is for?

That sounds detrimental to the game imo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

That sounds detrimental to the game imo

Well I mean since gameplay is the last step of development, you're right. We can hold off on this for a year or two while they polish all the pretty images up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unfunny Poster posted:

For a custom desk, I would've thought he could have at least made an L-shaped one for more space.

Its in ALPHA :colbert:

• Locked thread