Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

It would bring down Asusa, Single But Looking, and then I could pick one up for EDH.

That is the only solice I get from that kind of ban.

Bloom is one of Twin's best matchups, so it makes Twin less good if that's a thing that matters to you. Unless I am on Twin in which case my hand is slow and sucks and my opponent has 3 Amulets, a PrimeTime and some bouncelands in his opening hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's over when they finally realize how busted Collected Company can actually be.

Not at all? CoCo's pretty demanding about how you construct your deck and it can absolutely gently caress you randomly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I remember not that long ago (right after the delve spells got banned) when this thread considered Bloom a cute, plucky but not very good deck.

e:guess that was a year ago now

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of the things that makes Collected Company extremely powerful is that it can dump a Zealot il-Vec straight onto the board.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Bloom is one of Twin's best matchups, so it makes Twin less good if that's a thing that matters to you. Unless I am on Twin in which case my hand is slow and sucks and my opponent has 3 Amulets, a PrimeTime and some bouncelands in his opening hand.

But then they'd have more slots to commit to The Best Deck, Merfolk!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not at all? CoCo's pretty demanding about how you construct your deck and it can absolutely gently caress you randomly.

I'm aware, it just has that "haha wow I just randomly won out of nowhere" and it does it much better than twin, you don't even get to see the win until you actually cast CoCo.

That said, I'm probably just on a high from playing CoCo and slamming double Knuckleblade in Standard and Finks + Melira/Anafenza with a Seer on board in Modern.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

I remember not that long ago (right after the delve spells got banned) when this thread considered Bloom a cute, plucky but not very good deck.

e:guess that was a year ago now

The biggest problem is that it doesn't really matter if Bloom is broken in terms of tournament play. It's a toxic deck that puts way too much randomness into tournaments. Sometimes those decks get taken care of on their own - e.g. broken graveyard decks can be annoying, but something like the new (fair) B/x Eldrazi decks just hoses it on its own. But there aren't really a lot of decks that can do much of anything to interact with Bloom outside of Twin just comboing off.

I mean, sure SaffronOlive's Free Win Red hoses Bloom on its own, but that's just goofball stuff.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sanctioning a format with a name with negative connotations like that would be kind of a problem for a company to do. It's pretty simple to change that, but I imagine that's just one of the reasons they might be reluctant to sanction it, the other one being encouraging tournaments with the premise and promise of being cheap kind of fucks with your business model of selling expensive cards!

What?

It's called pauper on MTGO.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

What?

I did not know that until just now.

I think the second point still stands, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

What?

I think the reason they don't sanction it is because its really hard to figure out what's actually legal.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the reason they don't sanction it is because its really hard to figure out what's actually legal.

I don't know what's so hard about using the MTGO list. Does anyone really want Sinkhole, Hymn, or High Tide in the format anyway?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know what's so hard about using the MTGO list. Does anyone really want Sinkhole, Hymn, or High Tide in the format anyway?

Because its a lot easier to figure out on MTGO because MTGO literally won't let you play illegal cards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It seems like it takes about three seconds on gatherer to answer the question of "has this been printed at common anywhere ever?" but maybe I'm just an idiot savant

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I actually asked the guys running the local shop league to ban those and they said they didn't think it would be that bad. Then I was the only one to use hymns, which caused a few feelbads but didn't exactly prove my point. High tide is probably worse than the other two because of cloud of rear end in a top hat fairies.

It probably is too much to expect wizards to just sanction pauper and print a supplemental pauper product that straightens out the difference between modo and paper so there's no more confusion, they already have a banlist for the online pauper format. There's honestly not that many cards that separate paper from online.

For what it's worth, pauper could be an easy and cheap way to introduce new players to magic. Give em that first little cheap rock to smoke and eventually they'll come back for more.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

rabidsquid posted:

I actually don't think it would be all that strong but you could play two of my favorite cards, Waterfront Bouncer and Piracy Charm, so I say you should saddle up those Arrogant Wurms

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wild mongrel best mongrel

I completely forgot VM made arrogant wurm a common. Is careful study common online?

They also made Circular Logic into a common!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Count Bleck posted:

I'm aware, it just has that "haha wow I just randomly won out of nowhere" and it does it much better than twin, you don't even get to see the win until you actually cast CoCo.

A CoCo deck passing the turn with four mana up should be a pretty big tell as to what their plans are for your combat step.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The hoogs in the top 8 is always funny to me.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
hoogland owns

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'd be fine with them making the format exclusively "printed at common in paper" and adding Sinkhole and Hymn to the banned list. Online loses what, Battle Screech and Chainers?

Vintage Masters and Tempest remastered feel closer to holiday cube than real sets.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

A CoCo deck passing the turn with four mana up should be a pretty big tell as to what their plans are for your combat step.

True, but even the CoCo player doesn't know what their creature play will be in the combat step.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, Seattle goons, I've only ever really played kitchen table magic with people that are learning the game, and the BFZ prerelease. I've got a few decks, an Eldrazi modern, a soldier token vintage and a cleric lifegain vintage. I'm also working on an angel heavy Boros deck.

That said, anyone willing to critique my lovely little decks, and maybe teach me how to not play like a scrub?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PJOmega posted:

True, but even the CoCo player doesn't know what their creature play will be in the combat step.

Sure, but this is already Wizard Poker. There's a fair amount of uncertainty in everything we do, and I don't feel like CoCo not being 100% certain on what (if any) answers it will find is inherently more offensive than any given card draw spell maybe finding the perfect card for the situation or maybe finding nothing. The play itself is fairly easy to see coming and you can have a reasonable idea of the likely outcomes when you decide how to attack.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PJOmega posted:

I'd be fine with them making the format exclusively "printed at common in paper" and adding Sinkhole and Hymn to the banned list. Online loses what, Battle Screech and Chainers?

Vintage Masters and Tempest remastered feel closer to holiday cube than real sets.

High Tide should probably make that ban list as well. Its kinda gross for blue decks to get to go off for a million mana then untap a bunch of poo poo with clod of faeries.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am really hoping that this bobby guy on stream is not only wearing the brace he wears when bowling, but that his ring is also bowling related.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

High Tide should probably make that ban list as well. Its kinda gross for blue decks to get to go off for a million mana then untap a bunch of poo poo with clod of faeries.

The real answer is to ban Cloud of Faeries because that card is obnoxious as crap and allows that stupid Familiar deck, as well as Delver having 4 power worthof flyers and still leave up Spellstutter Sprite on turn 2.

Also a reminder that we're doing a MTGO Pauper Goon League! I have at least one entire spare deck and am like $8 short from having a 2nd, and other people have cards/decks to borrow too. So if you have an account but no deck we've got your covered.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

The real answer is to ban Cloud of Faeries because that card is obnoxious as crap and allows that stupid Familiar deck, as well as Delver having 4 power worthof flyers and still leave up Spellstutter Sprite on turn 2.

Also a reminder that we're doing a MTGO Pauper Goon League! I have at least one entire spare deck and am like $8 short from having a 2nd, and other people have cards/decks to borrow too. So if you have an account but no deck we've got your covered.

Oh this is actually on modo? I'm in.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know why I can't play with the trial decks in MODO?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

suicidesteve posted:

I'm interested, but is MTGO still a steaming pile?

And do accounts still cost $10?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Not as much as it used to be, and yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Amulet bloom just bloomed in under 4 minutes.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

For a while I thought Summer Bloom was going to get banned. But I actually think Amulet of Vigor is going to eat the ban to just kill the deck.
I'd be surprised if anything got banned from it. It's a strong deck, to be sure, but like with a lot of combo decks if your opening 7 (or 6+ scry) aren't potent then a lot of 'fair' decks beat you pretty hard.

E:

Sickening posted:

Amulet bloom just bloomed in under 4 minutes.
My favorite memory playing the deck was at a GP where I took both games in 3 turns (I like to play SSG Bloom so I can Bloom out on T1).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

hoogs is a stay at home dad?

:eyepop:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is he still complaining about everything and trying to force U/R Faeries

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

rabidsquid posted:

Yes and no. He's on Kiki-Chord this weekend.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

hoogs is a stay at home dad?

:eyepop:

Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Being a semi pro Magic player on the other hand is extremely shameful.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Bloom Titan is dead. Long live Bloom Titan.

Hopefully we get to see the top 4 of standard. One of the guys still in is from my shop and runs a nice UG Ramp deck. Disregard all siege rhinos, just part the waterveil until you drop Ulamog :kheldragar:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

He is losing in the finals which in all honesty he should have won game 2. He lost to a random leylines that shut down exactly 1 card in his deck which would have won him the game.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sickening posted:

He is losing in the finals which in all honesty he should have won game 2. He lost to a random leylines that shut down exactly 1 card in his deck which would have won him the game.

So Jeff shouldn't have won game two then, got it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sweet. We're hitting $100 fetches again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I love how the guy who won tonight with Amulet Bloom pretty much begged Wizards to ban the deck outright.

• Locked thread