Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm going to pick this game up for PC when it comes out mid-January. What would be the best character class, and what stats should I focus on?

the best character class is the one you enjoy playing, and stats don't particularly matter unless you're going for a very specific build or want to have a really strong magick archer

one of the things that makes dragon's dogma good is that you can change class pretty much whenever you want and you won't gently caress yourself over unless you spent like 70 levels as a magic user and went to pure melee. try a bunch of different ones for the first while and see what sticks with you! I like assassin the most, but I really enjoyed playing as a mystic knight, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

I'm going to pick this game up for PC when it comes out mid-January. What would be the best character class, and what stats should I focus on?

Warning: long kinds spergy post coming up. Doesn't matter too much what you choose because, due to the game's leveling system, if you're ever too weak for something you can go kill or do quests somewhere else and come back when you're stronger. But...

There's no real "best" class and stats are not something you specifically choose, you get certain stat growths depending on what vocation you are when you level up. So the best way to do things is to pick a play style you'd enjoy the most and level as the vocations that fit that.

For the basic vocation you can choose at the start; Fighter is pretty standard sword and board (very fun tho), Strider is about more mobile combat - dashing all over the place, skittering over large monsters like a bug and then shanking them repeatedly, or engaging enemies from a distance with the surprisingly good bow combat - and Mage is the last active (you basically just find enough time/space to have enough time to cast spells) but the spells are all awesome to behold.

Once you get to 10 you can unlock the advanced vocations which take one aspect of the base vocation and specialize in that. Warrior is all offense, losing sword and shield but gaining massive swords and hammers in return. Ranger is less adept at using knives but has a number of unique bow skills. Sorcerer loses utility and healing spells but has far and away the most powerful offensive spells, as well as some useful debuff spells. Despite being "advanced" they're not necessarily any better or worse than the basic vocations.

Then you got your hybrid vocations, which are a mix of two of the basic vocations. Assassin is probably the best physical-based class in the game; they can use sword, board, and dagger, giving them more variety than Fighter or Strider alone, while also have unique abilities for each weapon type that are some of the best in the game. They also have really good stat growths, having the highest stamina and attack growths. Magic Archer has probably some of the craziest abilities in the game and is probably the most overpowered vocation in the game if you have high magic attack; as the vocation itself has really poor stat growths, this means leveling primarily as a Mage/Sorcerer and then switching over to MA when you're 50-ish for the endgame content. Mystic Knight is much the same.

So all that aside, if you're only going to do one playthrough, I recommend picking one hybrid vocation to aim for, and then choosing basic and advanced vocations to level as for most of the game that would give you good stats for that vocation, then switching to the hybrid when you get towards the end of the game. For Assassin that would be Fighter, Warrior, Strider, and ranger (with F/W being slightly better cause they have better attack growths), for Mystic Knight it would be Fighter, Warrior, and Sorcerer, and for Magic Archer it would be Sorcerer (they are somewhat physical attack based as well, but their best stuff is magic so it's best to pump magic attack by leveling as a Sorcerer). As for which you'd most like to play as I'll finish this post off with gifs of some of the better attacks of the hybrids.

Assassin:

Magick Archer:

Mystic Knight:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

One thing to note: in addition to what Genocyber said above, min-maxing isn't critically important and is only something you should do if you find it fun for its own sake. Plus, if you end up doing new game plus and/or hard mode, you're going to exceed level 100 easily. The only ways you can really screw up would be:
  • Spending like 90 levels as a Fighter and suddenly deciding you actually want to main Sorcerer. You'll probably end up decent eventually, but you're going to suck at first.
  • Staying one class for the whole game. Every class has weak spots in its stat growth. You can kind of get away with going pure Assassin or Ranger if you're okay being a glass cannon, but for anything else, switching classes frequently is going to be beneficial. For example, if you want to go Warrior, you're probably going to want to spend some time as a more agile class to get some extra Stamina.
  • Trying to go pure Mystic Knight or Magick Archer. Both of those classes are amazing but have extremely lackluster stat growth. The min-max way to play them is to spend a shitload of time as a Sorcerer to have a very high Magick stat, but I prefer to play them as hybrids, ending up with about equal Strength and Magick. And it's fine if you level in those classes, even if you do so a decent amount--just don't only level in those classes or you're going to feel noticeably weak.
Beyond that? Have fun. Change classes when you get bored and don't sweat the stats too much.

Genocyber posted:

For Assassin that would be Fighter, Warrior, Strider, and ranger (with F/W being slightly better cause they have better attack growths)

To add to this: the reason you want to level as something other than Assassin to end up as an Assassin is because it's the only way you're going to get decent HP and Magick Defense. Assassin has incredible growths in everything else you need as an Assassin, but its HP and Magick Defense are hot garbage. If you're confident in your ability to avoid damage you can get away with going pure Assassin and doing incredibly high damage, but you'll die to a stiff breeze, especially if there are enemy mages around.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you all so much. Really appreciate the advice.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

more than anything, it's important to switch things up because you get different abilities from increasing your skill in different vocations, and most of them can apply to any vocation, so there might be something really handy for your sorceror that you unlock through being a mystic knight or something

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I'm really looking forward to the item hotkeys that are coming in the pc version. Not going to use them for curatives though, instead I'm planning to load up on tools and single use spell items. I've been messing with the spell items lately and you can make sundering spears as soon as you can fight hobgoblins If you bother to loot every book pile you come across for blank scrolls. And it can be pretty fun to have nearly instant cast spells to toss at bosses as one of the fighty vocations. Being able toss water flasks at enemies without going into the menu might actually make messing with the drenched debilitation and the associated bonuses to lightning and ice damage worth the hassle. Also having to forage, steal, craft and forge to get a limited amount of spells could give a playthrough (or a part of one) a distinct "Vancian" feeling.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't necessarily have to pump your magic via Sorcerer to play Mystic Knight. Upping your strength instead and playing it as a physical fighter-variant that trades Dragon's Maw for a few neat MK-specific abilities is completely viable. I don't think it's as strong as a magic-based MK, but it's perfectly adequate and I find that it's more fun than standing around casting buffs and stationary cannons/sigils all day.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Assassin is the best class because it has Gale Harness. Not looking forward to playing without it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Big fan of strider for double vault, forward roll, ensnare, helm splitter, instant reset, etc. Never really ran into defense issues except for the second half of BBI, and it's great to grapple from one hydra's head to the other.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't necessarily have to pump your magic via Sorcerer to play Mystic Knight. Upping your strength instead and playing it as a physical fighter-variant that trades Dragon's Maw for a few neat MK-specific abilities is completely viable. I don't think it's as strong as a magic-based MK, but it's perfectly adequate and I find that it's more fun than standing around casting buffs and stationary cannons/sigils all day.

When I played Mystic Knight, I went for roughly equal Strength and Magick (about 520 each at level 200) and was really happy. Thing is, beyond 500 Strength/Magick I don't think increases are quite as noticeable or important, so I'm happier off as a truly versatile hybrid than a Magick Cannon turret. Once you start getting the really good swords with built-in elemental damage (Ascalon, Cursed Light) you become an absolute monster and it's a ton of fun.

I like to buff my weapon, put on Abyssal Anguish, throw down a Sigil, and go nuts in melee. The Mystic Knight perfect-block moves are awesome, too. The one that heals you is crazy strong.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I just hope for PC it will be easy to mod warrior abilities. It was always such bullshit that warriors could only use half as many abilities as the other classes and no other class was restricted the same way. That always stopped me from playing warrior.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Its also worth noting that the Mystic Knight has the unforgivable sin of holding his shield on his back inexplicably and whipping it out at mach 10 speed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Its also worth noting that the Mystic Knight has the unforgivable sin of holding his shield on his back inexplicably and whipping it out at mach 10 speed.

How do you think he damages enemies with a perfect block?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I just hope for PC it will be easy to mod warrior abilities. It was always such bullshit that warriors could only use half as many abilities as the other classes and no other class was restricted the same way. That always stopped me from playing warrior.

That would be nice, besides the devastate core skill, the jumping attacks and the holy trinity of arc/exodus/corona most of the warrior skills are pretty lackluster and situational and having three more would actually make the other skills see more use.

Also regarding the mystic knights keeping their shields on their backs, I think it's to avoid clipping issues for the spell animations of staff using mystic knights.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Simply lol if you don't constantly have your staff at the ready so your Arisen can use it as a walking stick. Daggers-out little sideways butt-first run is a little ridiculous though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Spikeguy posted:

Max all the classes and ignore stats.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Blacktoll posted:

Asynchronous dragon slaying through multiple universes

Shame that they hosed up the gameplay in DD Online. Me and two friends got into it, worked great since majority of the game runs local on your own machine or P2P, so no need for a VPN beyond logging in. However the new rage mechanic really screws up the flow of combat. At least 2 or 3 times the bigger monsters glow red and basically become invulnerable, forcing you to grapple them and stagger them in order to make them stop being in their enraged state. Takes ages to even kill a regular cyclops because of that, even with three players and pawns.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If anyone with DDO experience can post more about DDO and its mechanics that'd be great, I'm super curious now. The rage mechanic sounds like utter shite, especially considering how limited all of the class options are.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Lunethex posted:

If anyone with DDO experience can post more about DDO and its mechanics that'd be great, I'm super curious now. The rage mechanic sounds like utter shite, especially considering how limited all of the class options are.

I didn't spend that much with it. But ignoring the rage mechanic the game core gameplay is identical to regular dragons dogma.
DDO ran fantastic, granted the original PS3/360 versions hardly set the bar very high so anything is an improvement. I just hope dark arisen will run as well as DDO does. Unless they manage to completely gently caress it up it should be solid at least. But Capcom has a history of doing dumb things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Torabi posted:

I didn't spend that much with it. But ignoring the rage mechanic the game core gameplay is identical to regular dragons dogma.
DDO ran fantastic, granted the original PS3/360 versions hardly set the bar very high so anything is an improvement. I just hope dark arisen will run as well as DDO does. Unless they manage to completely gently caress it up it should be solid at least. But Capcom has a history of doing dumb things.

It ought to. According to the community manager on Steam you ought to be able to run it at 1080p60 if you got a halfway decent computer, and even laptops with integrated graphics cards were able to run it at 720p30, albeit at the lowest settings (which still probably looks better than console, lol).

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Dragons dogma is from the era of good capcom ports so I'm 100% sure it will run fine and probably only need a patch or two to fix weird poo poo coming from hosed up hardware configs. Rumour is that this port has been floating around internally since like 2012, so it's probably super stable.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The engine that Dragon's Dogma runs on, MT Framework or whatever it is called, runs great on PC. As shown by the Lost Planet games, at least 1 and 2 run on it. No idea about 3, but let's not acknowledge the existence of that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Torabi posted:

The engine that Dragon's Dogma runs on, MT Framework or whatever it is called, runs great on PC. As shown by the Lost Planet games, at least 1 and 2 run on it. No idea about 3, but let's not acknowledge the existence of that.

Also RE4 and Dead Rising 2. MT Framework was a engine that wrote games to work on PC then would port them to the consoles so the ports tended to always be competent. The added bonus is that with RE4 and Dead Rising 2 already being heavily modded there is a repository of knowledge out there on how the file structure and packaging works which should dramatically speed up modding.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Byolante posted:

Also RE4 and Dead Rising 2. MT Framework was a engine that wrote games to work on PC then would port them to the consoles so the ports tended to always be competent. The added bonus is that with RE4 and Dead Rising 2 already being heavily modded there is a repository of knowledge out there on how the file structure and packaging works which should dramatically speed up modding.
I don't know about RE4, but Dead Rising 2 definitely doesn't share the same formats. However, that won't stop anything, I'll be working on modding DDPC day one for sure.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Byolante posted:

The old ports like RE4 don't use the MT Framework engine. (RE5 and 6 do, though.)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

gibbed posted:

I don't know about RE4, but Dead Rising 2 definitely doesn't share the same formats. However, that won't stop anything, I'll be working on modding DDPC day one for sure.

INTO FREE

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

gibbed posted:

You're doing gods work. I appreciated your efforts with ME2 back in the day.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

gibbed posted:

Its a shame, I thought they were, but at least we have people like you here to save us from our unmodded existance.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

gibbed posted:

This gives me hope of 6 active warrior skills.

You do good work, gibbed. Thanks for all your tools, I'm glad to hear you'll be attempting to support DD.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Fly Into Free Restoration Mod and Console Save Game Import Utility - make it happen!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mung Dynasty posted:

Fly Into Free Restoration Mod and Console Save Game Import Utility - make it happen!

You forgot Berzerk DLC gear restoration

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Japanese voice pack too ! :nyoron:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

gibbed posted:

What else have you done, modding-wise?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Byolante posted:

You forgot Berzerk DLC gear restoration

For real, this is the most important thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

http://blog.gib.me/

Also dug into a lot of debug stuff for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'd be pretty happy with a fix to the romance system.

And by that I mean that it always defaults to Feste, of course.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Japanese voice pack too ! :nyoron:

Isn't the Japanese translation really boring?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

99.9% of the time people use japanese voice packs its because they can't tell how bad japanese voice acting is

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Lunethex posted:

He is gibbed. Possibly the single greatest modder and that is not hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hello Jesus, what book are you in?

• Locked thread