Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Unfunny Poster posted:

Well I mean since gameplay is the last step of development, you're right. We can hold off on this for a year or two while they polish all the pretty images up more.

Yup, after the game is done and dusted then we can start thinking about testing and what not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Yeah guys, this is just an Alpha, why would they waste time putting in a system to help get accurate records of bugs?

Just make it fire off an e-mail to customer service if you don't want to change how things work internally

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

If you've ever gotten to do early beta testing on any of the World of Warcraft expansions, the bug reporting and feedback tool is awesome - it's built right into the game. It tracks where you are, what quest you're on, what stage of the quest, and even if you don't have any bugs, it asks for feedback about how the quest felt, how the rewards stacked up, and general impressions. It's very nice.

Star Citizen could use something like that. I have some examples to save CIG valuable time and money:

1) How many minutes were you able to play before the game crashed?
2) What type of crash did you experience - a handled exception, or a hard crash?
3) If it was a hard crash, were you able to recover to desktop, or did you have to reboot the PC because we made a black screen that doesn't even let the Task Manager sit on top?
4) How many times has it done that now?
5) Do you have the latest video drivers? Are you sure? You better check again. You should upgrade those video drivers.
6) You updated them and it didn't help in any way? gently caress.
7) How many frames per second are you getting?
8) OK, fine, how many seconds per frame are you getting?

Bonus question: An Idris leaves Port Olisar travelling at 2000 m/s. An aurora spawns 2 minutes later, and begins to leave the station at 500 m/s. How long before both clients experience a crash to desktop?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

If you've ever gotten to do early beta testing on any of the World of Warcraft expansions, the bug reporting and feedback tool is awesome - it's built right into the game. It tracks where you are, what quest you're on, what stage of the quest, and even if you don't have any bugs, it asks for feedback about how the quest felt, how the rewards stacked up, and general impressions. It's very nice.

Star Citizen could use something like that. I have some examples to save CIG valuable time and money:

2) What type of crash did you experience - a handled exception, or a hard crash?
3) If it was a hard crash, were you able to recover to desktop, or did you have to reboot the PC because we made a black screen that doesn't even let the Task Manager sit on top?
5) Do you have the latest video drivers? Are you sure? You better check again. You should upgrade those video drivers.

Bonus question: An Idris leaves Port Olisar travelling at 2000 m/s. An aurora spawns 2 minutes later, and begins to leave the station at 500 m/s. How long before both clients experience a crash to desktop?

Yeah yeah yeah but FIDELITY

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

there is massive scope creep every time they dream up a new jpeg. They need to make science, farming, drinks mixing, astronomy, loving news reporting and massively overcomplicated repair games to name only a few since stretch goals formally ended. Never mind birds and any other off the cuff poo poo they throw out. How can anyone be so wrong, on the internet

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why can't we spawn a debugger with a mobiglass interface, then be moved to an instance where we can visit a CIG employee RPing at a customer service desk. We hand the crash data over and then when we go to our bunk the client finally exits.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Yup, after the game is done and dusted then we can start thinking about testing and what not

gently caress testing we can just throw it out and start from scratch if anything doesn't work

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

Ahem* IT'S UUUUURLLLLPHAAAAAAAAAAA GAAAADURRRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So MULTICREW

Everyone thought the ship was mine, no idea why, so we take off and, well...
I mean, this could be fun, hosed if I know because of the HUGE TV in my face all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqrn49mZ5c

It's like they made multicrew and then stood back and said 'This is too much fun, the backers will hate it, how can we make it less fun and more like a job?'

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You know I thought about posting something in that refund thread about how scope creep did not "end" 18 months ago, and that you can readily see examples of how Squadron 42 has changed. October was the first time we learned of the expanded scope of Squadron 42, particularly that it would be an open world sandbox game. In the span of one year the scope of Squadron 42 expanded from one game with 50 hours of gameplay to three games (with the first one apparently only having 20 hours).

I guess going from fifty hours of gameplay to twenty is the opposite of scope creep?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Why can't we spawn a debugger with a mobiglass interface, then be moved to an instance where we can visit a CIG employee RPing at a customer service desk. We hand the crash data over and then when we go to our bunk the client finally exits.

No No no nnnnnooo, HERE'S HOW IT NEEDS TO BE DONE SHITLORD, stand back while I educate you.....

To report a bug (even though it's an alpha you flid, what do you think they're made of money???!)

You need to use a bomb disposal machine (found at random, at random spawn points) and then drive that mini bomb machine (oh did I mention you need to write a 500 word essay on what the bug was in the first place? well you do) down a corridor that is 5000 miles long and extremely glitchey and might cause you're game to crash, with the 500 page essay on the end of an arm on your mini bomb machine, then you hand it into a virtual customer support service (also spawns at random, might not even be there, tough tits) and if you're bug is deemed buggy enough then it might get through and be considered.

That's if you pay the $5000 toll (non refundable)

THERE, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

So MULTICREW

I mean, this could be fun, hosed if I know because of the HUGE TV in my face all the time.

It's like they made multicrew and then stood back and said 'This is too much fun, the backers will hate it, how can we make it less fun and more like a job?'

Artemis Bridge Simulator has better UI.

Hey Lowtax, you should get yourself, Slowbeef, and Scott Manley together and play that in a video or something.

Make some sick YouTube money.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

I have a very immersive video coming up showing the immersiveness of multi crew

:ohdear:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

So MULTICREW

Everyone is just so drat excited that they can't move a finger or bat an eyelid.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Egomane was a PGI moderator that pissed goons off for some reason I can't remember.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

So MULTICREW

I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever showing that multi-crew, the supposed central feature of Star Citizen, will be fun.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever showing that multi-crew, the supposed central feature of Star Citizen, will be fun.

Which is weird, since games like AirBucaneers and Guns of Icarus (which bad in their own ways) actually makes the multi-crew system work pretty decently and can be fun.

Even Planetside 2 has multi-crew ships like the drop ship.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't see any evidence that the game will be anything more than a taped-together mess, like watching this poo poo with how many problems they have with even the simplest, littlest things I can't fathom how anything is going to be even a little bit fun. How the hell is cargo going to work? How the hell is anything going to work? How is trading going to work?

You'll have to physically move the cargo containers in and out of the ship, nothing will be extrapolated, and lol at having to make everything physics objects that have serverside replication- look at those videos where people get the vending machine back to the spawn port, nobody else can see the vending machine because physics objects apparently aren't replicated.

On the economy stuff, I really hope nothing changes at all. I want to see SC become a nightmare of real life money laundering and whales to become real life millionaires trading UEC for other whales' cash. It'll be a bitcoinesque wild west.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 4, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just being able to see what was going on would have been enough for me, who the gently caress OK'd this UI :lol:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Just being able to see what was going on would have been enough for me, who the gently caress OK'd this UI :lol:

There's a way to interact with that horrible screen I think, to move shield power around and possibly turn things off. I dunno how you do it but somebody will, it probably doesn't work too well, just fyi if you ever find yourself in that position again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

who the gently caress OK'd this UI :lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah yeah yeah but FIDELITY

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
it's another example of the IMMERSION biting them in the rear end - not because having a player dealing with shields is necessarily a bad idea, but because they can't just design something fun and intuitive for it instead of some insane spreadsheet with dozens of different menus that don't do anything.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Holy poo poo :gary: :yarg: Look at those loving ears,and the marty Feldman eyes!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 4, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It won't. How could it? The multi-crew ships need huge buffs so they don't get taken out by a single goon in an Aurora. Even then, once the novelty of walking around a spaceship as someone else flies it wears off, players will be relegated to sitting in boring turrets or sitting in boring copilot seats. poo poo, in the case of the Retaliator, the engineering guy can't even see outside. "Yeah I definitely want to spend my time in a broom closet playing Connect 4 on game within a game, I'll be your engineer!"

If it ever gets that far, 99.9% of multi-crew ships in the "verse" will be crewed entirely by AI.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

There's a way to interact with that horrible screen I think, to move shield power around and possibly turn things off. I dunno how you do it but somebody will, it probably doesn't work too well, just fyi if you ever find yourself in that position again.

I pressed everything I could, when at the end I found out it was CTRL + F to stand up it all made sense, I wasn't trying combinations or something probably
Anyway it's still alpha

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Immersion. Not everyone is pretty in the 'verse

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

Zane Bien is responsible for the UI, and it's pretty clear at this point that either he or Chris Roberts is more interested in appearance than functionality. It seems like every design decision ever made for Star Citizen puts something else ahead of making a fun and engaging game. The ships are controlled via individual thrusters because it increases the fidelity of the simulation, not because it's more fun. Cargo is moved individually in and out of cargo holds because the visuals look better, not because it's more fun. The UI is an unintuitive, complicated, field-obscuring mess because that's what looks pretty, not because it's more fun. Head bobbing exists because the animations are linked to the head, not because it's more fun. Ships look like fighter planes (and force the physics simulation to cheat) because Chris likes that aesthetic, not because it's more fun. Players have to man turrets because that's what they did in WW2, not because it's fun.

Star Citizen is a slapdash, incomprehensible, poorly integrated jigsaw of features and concepts. Everything seems to fight against each other. The engine fights against the designers. The flight model fights against the design of the ships. The UI fights against the player. The game itself seems to fight against the computer. The only priority seems to be appearances, and in that regard SC absolutely excels. I'm sure the performance capture will be equally impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about gameplay, mechanics, the long run. I care about the things that, by all appearances, Chris Roberts does not.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Zane Bien is responsible for the UI, and it's pretty clear at this point that either he or Chris Roberts is more interested in appearance than functionality. It seems like every design decision ever made for Star Citizen puts something else ahead of making a fun and engaging game. The ships are controlled via individual thrusters because it increases the fidelity of the simulation, not because it's more fun. Cargo is moved individually in and out of cargo holds because the visuals look better, not because it's more fun. The UI is an unintuitive, complicated, field-obscuring mess because that's what looks pretty, not because it's more fun. Head bobbing exists because the animations are linked to the head, not because it's more fun. Ships look like fighter planes (and force the physics simulation to cheat) because Chris likes that aesthetic, not because it's more fun. Players have to man turrets because that's what they did in WW2, not because it's fun.

Star Citizen is a slapdash, incomprehensible, poorly integrated jigsaw of features and concepts. Everything seems to fight against each other. The engine fights against the designers. The flight model fights against the design of the ships. The UI fights against the player. The game itself seems to fight against the computer. The only priority seems to be appearances, and in that regard SC absolutely excels. I'm sure the performance capture will be equally impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about gameplay, mechanics, the long run. I care about the things that, by all appearances, Chris Roberts does not.

Well I really enjoyed it, very immersive A+ would sit still again

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

It won't. How could it? The multi-crew ships need huge buffs so they don't get taken out by a single goon in an Aurora. Even then, once the novelty of walking around a spaceship as someone else flies it wears off, players will be relegated to sitting in boring turrets or sitting in boring copilot seats. poo poo, in the case of the Retaliator, the engineering guy can't even see outside. "Yeah I definitely want to spend my time in a broom closet playing Connect 4 on game within a game, I'll be your engineer!"

If it ever gets that far, 99.9% of multi-crew ships in the "verse" will be crewed entirely by AI.

I want to see a video of Chris Roberts doing a full mission as the pilot, co-pilot, gunner, engineer, and boarder of a starship. I want to see him justify how each part of his game is fun.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Mgs2 in 2002 had flowing hair for raiden and moving hair for snake, blew me away when I was a kiddywink.

it's 2016 and sc can't go beyond plastic matte black lego hair.

Progress, people.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm with Lowtax, grinding as a common part of games now is really loving annoying. I was trying to enjoy MGSV but when I had to start farming bullshit and waiting hours and hours to upgrade my base/weapons I just stopped playing and sold my copy. IAP/DLC that lets people skip the grind was the worst thing to happen to gaming and I've never played a 'free to play' game that was actually an enjoyable game and not a money hole. MGSV, a AAA full-price console game, was trying to get me to pay money to avoid a 4 hour wait to build a thing. Not even 4 hours from the time I activated it! The timer only progresses if the game is being actively played.

So when I read the SC maniacs talking about 40, 100, 200+ hours to get a ship because they paid £2500 for it like a retard...

Also, happy new year thread. Let's hope 2016 provides as much amusement at the expense of crazed jpg boners as 2015 did.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
An insurmountable deluge of support tickets at release as peoples several thousand real world dollar ships randomly explode, fail to spawn or vanish forever for no reason over and over again.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

So MULTICREW

The part where the ships flying around everywhere and the pilot is sitting there like a plank of wood is the funniest part.

So the pilot see's a bunch of animations that his body is doing, but only the player that's the polit see's them and he's motionless in the actual game world.

Nope, no smoke and mirrors here folks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I want to see a video of Chris Roberts doing a full mission as the pilot, co-pilot, gunner, engineer, and boarder of a starship. I want to see him justify how each part of his game is fun.

After his reaction to the chat window (which is basic but absolutely fine) I think he'd turn inside out with rage and wear his gonads as ear lobes. I really think he should stream it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rudager posted:

The part where the ships flying around everywhere and the pilot is sitting there like a plank of wood is the funniest part.

So the pilot see's a bunch of animations that his body is doing, but only the player that's the polit see's them and he's motionless in the actual game world.

Nope, no smoke and mirrors here folks.

It really cements the idea that the player becomes the ship when they enter it and the characters remains are just a facade

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Scruffpuff posted:

No documentation, but their site features plenty of Photoshopped masturbatory wishful thinking, passed off as "what we're putting in the game."

Check out their rockstar repair mechanics page - none of which exists in the game as shown: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Now, taken at face value, that looks loving awesome. But anyone in the world could have put that page together. It doesn't mean they made a game.
I can't believe someone created that page without fully intending it to be a joke. That has to be satire. It'd be like if a medieval fantasy MMO was saying you could be a blacksmith with realistic horseshoe hammering action -- but you must have a player filling the role of apprentice to hold the tongs!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I can't help but look at these documents and think they are intentionally made to scam people out of money. Nobody in the industry can look at these and think they are remotely realistic. They seem specifically designed to persuade gullible people into thinking a game is more immersive than it could ever hope to be.
Ok or that. The game is targeted at the type of person who thinks Onion articles are real, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sillybones posted:

An insurmountable deluge of support tickets at release as peoples several thousand real world dollar ships randomly explode, fail to spawn or vanish forever for no reason over and over again.

I was playing Elite this morning and in the middle of killing some NPC's when the power went out for about 2 seconds, I was worried that I might have lost some bounties and have to buy back my ship for a few thousand credits, imagine what it's going to be like when that happens to someone in the middle of a dogfight with their fancy Idris?

• Locked thread