Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

I love how the guy who won tonight with Amulet Bloom pretty much begged Wizards to ban the deck outright.

Every pro I follow, ones that have decent opinions like LSV are betting that WOTC is going to ban something from it. I think summer bloom or amulet are getting the axe. The real tossup is will their be any other changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Every pro I follow, ones that have decent opinions like LSV are betting that WOTC is going to ban something from it. I think summer bloom or amulet are getting the axe. The real tossup is will their be any other changes?

yeah; stoneforge unban

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

yeah; stoneforge unban

I highly doubt, and truly hope this isn't the case.

jassi007 posted:

My hope is that Ensnaring bridge gets the ax as well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

yeah; stoneforge unban

I find this real hard to believe. If there is one thing consistent about the modern ban list, it is that tutoring is on the poo poo list. The other things that are also on the shitlist are fast mana/cost cheating and overly efficient card draw. Summerbloom is much to good at accelerating mana. Its better at ramping in Amulet than most of the other mana ramp spells on the current banlist. The amulet itself isn't the issue. Stoneforge is one of the best tutors ever made, because it also lets you cheat the cost of the card you tutored as well. It is some kind of hosed up tutor/cost cheating effect on one card.

The card that doesn't really fit any of those categories is sword of the meek. It is a combo engine piece, but that combo isn't infinite. It costs 1 mana per iteration. The reason it is good is because you get dudes and gain life. It is interesting to consider unbanning because it is a great way for a control deck to stabilize.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Oh cool! A version of the BW Eldrazi deck I'm building came in tenth!

My old deck, Affinity came seventh and eighth. I also need some expensive cards yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I find this real hard to believe. If there is one thing consistent about the modern ban list, it is that tutoring is on the poo poo list. The other things that are also on the shitlist are fast mana/cost cheating and overly efficient card draw. Summerbloom is much to good at accelerating mana. Its better at ramping in Amulet than most of the other mana ramp spells on the current banlist. The amulet itself isn't the issue. Stoneforge is one of the best tutors ever made, because it also lets you cheat the cost of the card you tutored as well. It is some kind of hosed up tutor/cost cheating effect on one card.

The card that doesn't really fit any of those categories is sword of the meek. It is a combo engine piece, but that combo isn't infinite. It costs 1 mana per iteration. The reason it is good is because you get dudes and gain life. It is interesting to consider unbanning because it is a great way for a control deck to stabilize.

Fun is first on the Modern shitlist, please do not forget

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fun is first on the Modern shitlist, please do not forget

That is pretty much the only actual reason to ban out Bloom Titan.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol, it's been over a year since Khans came out and you're still mad they started using the clans as wedge names

The only flaw is that they use the clans for the Legacy Delver lists so instead of BUG and RUG it's Sultai and Temur.

It's not as funny, not calling it bug.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Brownhat posted:

That is pretty much the only actual reason to ban out Bloom Titan.

Yeah watching a deck spend ten minutes digging through its library to kill someone on turn two sounds really fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They could ban JTMS in Modern and it would be fine. Also they should unban Seat of the Synod.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I respect the creativity and effort that went into making some of the more esoteric combo decks work and watching the interactions play out is interesting the first few times, but it's not actually something I want to play Magic with on a regular basis.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Banning bloom titan out would further prove that the real enemy in modern is any combo deck that requires skill and dedication to learn how to win with. Only moronic A+B combos that slot into otherwise non-combo decks allowed.

I'm only being somewhat facetious

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Yeah watching a deck spend ten minutes digging through its library to kill someone on turn two sounds really fun.

I mean sitting across from it there's the suspense of "will they kill me" and if it's guaranteed then you just forfeit.

And if you're talking about streaming, Magic kind of sucks to watch the majority of the time anyways so you're not really getting denied much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue with Amulet Bloom is less raw power and more that it goes off early enough that a lot of decks can't reasonably stop it.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Voyager I posted:

If it went off on turn two consistently it would be a bigger part of the meta. And more successful.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Brownhat posted:

If it went off on turn two consistently it would be a bigger part of the meta. And more successful.

It is pretty wildly successful relative to how many people play it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

And if you're talking about streaming, Magic kind of sucks to watch the majority of the time anyways so you're not really getting denied much.

I would find magic more tolerable to watch if they had a wizard John Madden scribbling on the screen while Rich Hagon provided color commentary. It would be way more enjoyable if you saw arrows being drawn in more conceptual circumstances like when a thought seize is used to push a strategy through - but more excitedly, in classic Madden style. :3:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What ultimately got Storm banned out was having a reliable t3 kill. The fundamental turn of Modern is 4 and if any deck manages to consistently get t3 kills it'll get the axe. It's not very complicated.

Amulet Bloom is just incredibly powerful because it's one of the strongest decks in the format when you are cheating.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

BizarroAzrael posted:

My old deck, Affinity came seventh and eighth. I also need some expensive cards yet.

I've seen some takes on RB floating around, but what does the BW version look like? O-Rings and Paths instead of Bolts?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

BizarroAzrael posted:

Some of the locals I play with did really well. I guess I should start going to these tournaments.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Alris posted:

I've seen some takes on RB floating around, but what does the BW version look like? O-Rings and Paths instead of Bolts?
You basically get paths, lingering souls and some good sideboard cards.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You basically get paths, lingering souls and some good sideboard cards.

Also Rest in Peace, which is a great Processor enabler.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think you actually play RIP, it screws with your own Lingering Souls and isn't really needed.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
My Modern Affinity list is almost complete, but I'm having trouble deciding if/when I wanna invest in blood moons or thoughtseizes for SB. Really enjoying the deck, and looking forward to FNM every week now to play more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Painful Truths won the Legacy PIQ.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

I don't think the guy you're responding to was trying to have a reasoned argument.

"Bans are universally bad, everything should be legal" is a dumb position people who don't play specific formats like to say about those formats.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Amulet Bloom is fairly unusual in that it broke out a hell of a lot later than it should have. You can build a list with cards from AVR and earlier, but it didn't really become a top deck until more than a year after that. Any reason why people didn't play it in the era of Jund?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

Painful Truths won the Legacy PIQ.

So black potus has to post with proper punctuation from now on?

And also pilot a deck of your choosing at a tourney, I think?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Konstantin posted:

Amulet Bloom is fairly unusual in that it broke out a hell of a lot later than it should have. You can build a list with cards from AVR and earlier, but it didn't really become a top deck until more than a year after that. Any reason why people didn't play it in the era of Jund?

The Combo took a long time to bang out I think, along with the difficulty in sequencing turns for the quick kills, and the idea of the hivemind kills not coming along till later I think.

Also maybe less chance of main deck fulminators these days?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Because it sounds like a terrible deck when you explain how it works. When you have very few people playing a deck, it takes a while for it to put up results, even if it is powerful.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Konstantin posted:

It's just been a tuning thing. I've been in on it at the ground floor, back when it was more invested in blue and played a little more fair (via Trinket Mage). You'd go off T4/T5 pretty much every time, with the occassional but draw (like it has now) - but a midgame combo that didnt have much control or protection was pretty soft. Each new tweak and iteration has helped push it towards being just a bit more explosive at the expense of consistency. Pacts have also come in to help us protect early combo, and Hive Mind as an alt win con. Like a lot of decks the only hurdle to getting it played was getting it to a point where it was a strong playable deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Konstantin posted:

I saw someone play a precursor of the deck at a Modern PTQ in January, 2013. They had the general strategy of the deck down and played an assload of lands and beat me to death with Primeval Titan. I do remember them playing Oboro, Palace in the Clouds to recur landfall effects, but I don't remember what for. I ended up winning the match 2-1 with UR Faeries on the back of Blood Moon. In fact, I placed ninth at that PTQ on the back of Blood Moon. I don't think I won a single game one and nearly all of my wins came from riding Blood Moon to victory.

EDIT: Ob Nixilis. That's what they killed me with.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I remember playing amulet bloom during theros standard. It's been around a while. Slayers stronghold was the card that made it work.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've been waiting for amulet bloom to make it big since I have several extra foil titans and other pieces. Maybe someone will buy those out any day now. :)

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think the guy you're responding to was trying to have a reasoned argument.

"Bans are universally bad, everything should be legal" is a dumb position people who don't play specific formats like to say about those formats.

Except that wasn't what I was saying. It requires high skill AND high variance, and it's taken two years for it to win something serious. Turn two and three kills are incredibly inconsistent. Shoal is more consistent, especially on turn two. And if we're banning decks because they aren't fun to play against, they should burn Lantern Control to the ground first.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

I saw someone play a precursor of the deck at a Modern PTQ in January, 2013. They had the general strategy of the deck down and played an assload of lands and beat me to death with Primeval Titan. I do remember them playing Oboro, Palace in the Clouds to recur landfall effects, but I don't remember what for. I ended up winning the match 2-1 with UR Faeries on the back of Blood Moon. In fact, I placed ninth at that PTQ on the back of Blood Moon. I don't think I won a single game one and nearly all of my wins came from riding Blood Moon to victory.

EDIT: Ob Nixilis. That's what they killed me with.

Did it make a bunch of mana then tooth and nail for patron of the moon and Ob?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rabidsquid posted:

They could ban JTMS in Modern and it would be fine. Also they should unban Seat of the Synod.

Anyone who agrees with either part of this has never played a format where either are legal. JtMS specifically is actually one of the most broken cards ever printed, and including it in modern would warp the format entirely. Like, JTMS is one of the most powerful legal cards in legacy

Legalizing any artifact land would suddenly make affinity a broken deck as well.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

"Overwhelming Denial 2UU
Instant (R)
Surge UU
Overwhelming Denial can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Counter target spell."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bugsy posted:

"Overwhelming Denial 2UU
Instant (R)
Surge UU
Overwhelming Denial can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Counter target spell."

If this translation is correct, wowzers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I guess making all new counterspells rare now is going to be the standard from now on, instead of common like they loving should be.

• Locked thread