Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

does not compute

You know,I think it would be neat if they did the EverQuest 1 Shadows of Luclin Bazaar-style player market. Have a dedicated zone filled with rows and rows of stalls that you you can drop a NPC in, give him the stuff you want to sell, then players can browse over to them and see what they have. It's less efficient than the WoW style auction house, but I think the novelty is kind of quaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
DAoC kind of had that with player housing, but they made auction house npcs anyway. The way they did it was you could buy through the NPC but it would cost like 15% extra gold or you could go to the lot the item was listed on to buy it for the actual price. Going to the lot was a pain in the arse unless you were a speed class though.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Budgie posted:

DAoC kind of had that with player housing, but they made auction house npcs anyway. The way they did it was you could buy through the NPC but it would cost like 15% extra gold or you could go to the lot the item was listed on to buy it for the actual price. Going to the lot was a pain in the arse unless you were a speed class though.

They mentioned that if there weren't enough crafters, or enough weapon/armor available of a specific type, that there would be NPC merchant guilds available to the realms. The also said they hope that didn't happen, but I guess we'll see.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Budgie posted:

I'm sure they could strike a similar balance. This actually wouldn't be so bad, because it doesn't too badly marginalize people setting up their own shops, and in SWG, I actually enjoyed flying around on a speeder looking for shops that had gear I wanted at the best prices. There was something cool about talking to a guy, ordering a set of Composite Armor, then have it waiting for me in a package with my name on it. Could even specify color and poo poo. :3

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Does this mean my dreams of finding a cabin somewhere and making people come to me for my kingfucker awesome swords will be a reality?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Budgie posted:

It was really, really annoying to go from house lot to house lot checking vendors full of overpriced junk in the hope someone didn't know the actual value of something and underpriced it, a lot of it was just going from house to house and seeing 2g crafted items, and some houses with the same stuff but priced 1 silver lower.

Barely anyone took the time to go to the houses out in the boonies either, mostly checked the vendors on the prime big estates within view of the entrance.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I remember the player vendor huts in UO. What this actually accomplished that people who lucked out and got the premium spots, like Britain crossroads, made filthy amounts of money and people who got huts in rear end end of the universe had to stand at bank and beg people to visit their lovely shop.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Puistokemisti posted:

I remember the player vendor huts in UO. What this actually accomplished that people who lucked out and got the premium spots, like Britain crossroads, made filthy amounts of money and people who got huts in rear end end of the universe had to stand at bank and beg people to visit their lovely shop.

Last game I played involved kiting mobs into town to kill the vendors people put down for their shops so you could steal their spot. It was dumb as hell but still way more amusing than the AH.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope for us to play this bad game and find ways to make people upset

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Eonwe posted:

I will play any game with you #guildleader eonwe

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

Yeah, in DAoC the closer spots got a sizable markup on their goods because nobody got time to travel 20 minutes to your rinky dink mudhut.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Eonwe posted:

Everything about this game screams "We are making wild star for people who played daoc"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

Everything about this game screams "We are making wild star for people who played daoc"

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Rexicon1 posted:

Youre telling me one video game is similar to another video game?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Please let this mmo be good. I need a new fix.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

YOTC posted:

I'm feeling the same way now and I'm really hoping this will be my new large scale pvp fix. To be honest, I need more goons to tell me I'm dumb because I don't want to get actual hyped and become a quasi-star citizen idiot.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

2DCAT posted:

I'm feeling the same way now and I'm really hoping this will be my new large scale pvp fix. To be honest, I need more goons to tell me I'm dumb because I don't want to get actual hyped and become a quasi-star citizen idiot.

Buy cheap elite dangerous, ignore planets, shoot dudes.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

YOTC posted:

Buy cheap elite dangerous, ignore planets, shoot dudes.

Ironically enough, its what I'm doing now!

Orv
May 4, 2011

2DCAT posted:

It'll probably be a passable thing that people play for the free month and maybe a few extra given the founders subscription time stuff, and then will linger quietly for a few years, like pretty much every PvP MMO. I wouldn't start breaking out the coal shovels just yet. :shrug:

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Nice no auction house to combat "MUDflation", I hope they announce corpse runs and xp loss next.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

YOTC posted:

No mmo is good, receive enlightenment and enjoy your bad games.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Minsky posted:

Nice no auction house to combat "MUDflation", I hope they announce corpse runs and xp loss next.

Hyperinflation is usually from poorly designed gold sinks. An AH tax can be a sink, but it's not like it's a mandatory one.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Pavlov posted:

Hyperinflation is usually from poorly designed gold sinks. An AH tax can be a sink, but it's not like it's a mandatory one.

Parts of this game sound cool, but a lot of it feels like someone is trying to build a time machine to 2002.

Edit: I take it back. I think they are actually trying to do some combination of a lightweight EVE Online and DAOC: a game with a niche audience funded by subscriptions and unapologetically (over)complicated gameplay systems. Not 100% sure if that's gonna work because I think EVE Online's success is a bit of an anomaly. I think it's largely driven by the political metagame drama and that for years it's been the only space MMO to scratch that Privateer itch... and neither of those apply to DAOC.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 26, 2015

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Are there any updates for beta dates? The website still refers to betas hopefully starting by the winter. I wasn't sure if they have uh, touched on that topic.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Are there any updates for beta dates? The website still refers to betas hopefully starting by the winter. I wasn't sure if they have uh, touched on that topic.

They've been running these rolling weekly alpha tests, I'm hoping for some hard beta dates soon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
they just did a 600 ish or so bot test to see if the engine could handle it

they said the major issue was trees

also it was on white snowy ground with lots of leafy green grass sticking out and I kept thinking lol camouflage

then they were like yah anyone can dye their armor to blend in

also the standing still animation has some weird hand flaring

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Third World Reggin posted:

they just did a 600 ish or so bot test to see if the engine could handle it

they said the major issue was trees

also it was on white snowy ground with lots of leafy green grass sticking out and I kept thinking lol camouflage

then they were like yah anyone can dye their armor to blend in

also the standing still animation has some weird hand flaring

I was running 20fps when they were porting us into the woods and not having any lag really. I think things crashed when they tried doubling the population, but can't remember exactly. I think I was running 40fps away from the trees with a similar "600 ppl on the screen at a time" test.

Running around in the woods, which didn't really have much art put into it, was actually kind of fun. Or rather, I can envision battles and ganks in the woods to be rather fun.

Literally all of the art and animation looks like complete trash right now. Hopefully in the coming months things will get changed. I'm guessing up until this point, they've only been working on the engine/server? Because, yeah... The art is literally the worst I've ever seen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The art and animation are atrocious, but the sound 'design' is hilarious. As a Tuatha mage any of my long range rock spells have a hilariously overbassed roar to them, like a jet engine with a head cold, it's great.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
I know I will get a lot of hate for this...any chance of any sort of graphics and animation updates?

Because it looks like loving runescape, and while i played original DAoC....wasn't even really great for its day(graphics wise...combat wise, yeah...we all know how good it was.)

I have been too spoiled by graphic intensive games lately to go back to something that would have looked great in 1998.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Ffycchi posted:

I know I will get a lot of hate for this...any chance of any sort of graphics and animation updates?

Because it looks like loving runescape, and while i played original DAoC....wasn't even really great for its day(graphics wise...combat wise, yeah...we all know how good it was.)

I have been too spoiled by graphic intensive games lately to go back to something that would have looked great in 1998.

Probably?. It's my understanding that nearly zero hours have gone into art and animation thus far. I won't be playing this game very long if things were to stay the same lol.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

2DCAT posted:

Probably?. It's my understanding that nearly zero hours have gone into art and animation thus far. I won't be playing this game very long if things were to stay the same lol.

Ok good. That is what I was HOPING to hear. The last news I got was basically "graphics will come secondary to gameplay" Which while something I love to hear, only works if the graphics arent loving commander keen in 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ffycchi posted:

Almost all of the animations are placeholders, and I don't think the engine has gotten a single quality pass beyond functionality. As far as the graphics taking a back seat to gameplay, I think when they're done the graphics are going to be pretty on par with a lot of other MMOs out there, but I also know they're likely not going to sacrifice performance in large battles for fidelity.

The graphics/ui/sound design is pretty rudimentary right now so expect changes.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, I could be wrong. I've only been paying attention for about 2 months now but just before Christmas they were talking about and show tree textures and grass textures and talking about how they finally decided on a 15k max poly count. That leads me to believe they have done much character stuff yet since they didn't even have that number in stone til recently.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

I mean, I could be wrong. I've only been paying attention for about 2 months now but just before Christmas they were talking about and show tree textures and grass textures and talking about how they finally decided on a 15k max poly count. That lead me to believe they have done much character stuff yet since they didn't even have that number in stone til recently.

Maybe, I haven't seen a lot of new assets deployed yet. My biggest compaint isn't static objects or characters atm, more animations and terrain.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Ffycchi posted:

Ok good. That is what I was HOPING to hear. The last news I got was basically "graphics will come secondary to gameplay" Which while something I love to hear, only works if the graphics arent loving commander keen in 2016

They showed a bit of the landscape work during the crafting reveal live stream, and they said they had just started working on it, and their was no optimization of balance passes. We'll see what happens, but if the gameplay is good, I am fine with landscape that is only average. If I want something pretty with poo poo for gameplay there are plenty of other options.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Kimsemus posted:

Almost all of the animations are placeholders, and I don't think the engine has gotten a single quality pass beyond functionality. As far as the graphics taking a back seat to gameplay, I think when they're done the graphics are going to be pretty on par with a lot of other MMOs out there, but I also know they're likely not going to sacrifice performance in large battles for fidelity.

The graphics/ui/sound design is pretty rudimentary right now so expect changes.

The UI is having some rework put into it right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon King posted:

The UI is having some rework put into it right now.

Where'd you land after getting out of Red5 apparently just in time anyway?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Orv posted:

Where'd you land after getting out of Red5 apparently just in time anyway?

Its been two studios since Red5, but I'm now at CSE.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh cool, at least I don't have to worry about the final UI being good then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Orv posted:

Oh cool, at least I don't have to worry about the final UI being good then.

That is really the one thing I miss about WoW...writing and setting up my own custom UI...

• Locked thread