Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Lets talk lists! I'm thinking about what to take to Invasion next month. I took this first list to Warfare and placed 5th of 12 with it. I was pretty happy with that given that the list was untested and used multiple units I hadn't fielded before. This is a CV5 commander with a bucketful of toys including two Type-4 walkers in the Nemesis and Hades.

Warfare2015 Final
Clash: 1500/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]

Hand of the Sphere [444 pts]
Nemesis: Nemesis(Grand Vizier) [310 pts]
Janus Squad: 4x Janus, 2x Triton A2(+Miniguns) [134 pts]

Battle Pantheon [63 pts]
Battle Squad: Phobos [63 pts]

Immortals [113 pts]
AM Rifle Team: 2x Immortal Longreach Team, Triton A1 [113 pts]

Heavy Pantheon [435 pts]
Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]
Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]

Pegasus Group [445 pts]
Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1(+Miniguns) [122 pts]
Medusa: Medusa, Triton X(+Miniguns) [133 pts]
Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Neptune, 2x Angelos [190 pts]

The weakness of this list is that it is only 5 battlegroups so vulnerable to being out-activated. It was pointed out to me by Mega Mike of Orbital Bombardment (as he destroyed me 20-0 and went on to take first place) that I could have fixed that by dropping two Janus and fielding a second walk on Phobos as a separate battlegroup. The second thing I didn't like was that I struggled to destroy buildings that were blocking the LOS of my Big Guns. I spent a lot of the tournament using Type-4's to shoot buildings rather than enemy units. Finally, there is no Athena in this list, and I am obsessed with my Athena's!

So for Invasion, I'm thinking about having another go at my double Type-4's because it is a lot of fun to put down two big robo scorpions and watch your opponents obsess over trying to kill them. What do you guys make of this list?

INV2016 Heavy Demo 3
Clash: 1498/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1498/1500 pts]

Hand of the Sphere [245 pts]
Nemesis: Nemesis(Councillor) [245 pts]

Battle Pantheon [143 pts]
Apollo Squad: 2x Apollo-A [80 pts]

Battle Pantheon [223 pts]
Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]

Immortals [202 pts]
Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]

Heavy Pantheon [405 pts]
Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]
Heavy Squad: 2x Enyo [130 pts]

Pegasus Group [280 pts]
Medusa: Medusa [90 pts]
Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Neptune, 2x Angelos [190 pts]

That is a drop down to a CV3 commander which likely means I'll be losing initiative rolls as the meta seems have shifted towards CV4 & 5 commanders.

Sadly still no Athena. The four Juno's are gone and I'm up one Phobos, so there is less AA in this list and that's a pretty major concern.

What I've added is a lot of extra building demo with those two walk-on Enyo's while keeping the Angelos transporting Valkyries. Clearing firing lanes shouldn't be too difficult if I focus fire. I find the Angelos/Valkyries to be a good pairing as the Valkyries are fast enough not to rely on their transports sticking close by all of the time. If needed all of this doubles as decent anti-tank fire.

I kept the Medusa, but lost her Triton-X because I'm tight on points. I can see her being used to search backboard objective buildings and threatening anything that comes after my TYpe-4's. Her mobility means that she can probably catch up to the Hades pretty quick once it deploys or hang back with the Nemesis/Enyo's. I see a lot of people fielding the Medusa like this and it seems to work ok.

Infantry wise I've downgraded from my beloved Longreach rifles and the second Valkyrie squad to plain old Immortals. So my Infantry will be less impressive but more rounded I guess.

The last thing of note is my latest addition (still in pieces on my painting table) with a pair of Apollo-A's. I'm concerned that all those heavy walkers and transport-less things left me lacking in mobility. I need to be able to claim focal points and maybe flush out some enemy backboard units, so I got the little jump jet mechs in there.

I have already changed this list several times while typing all of this out, so I'm certainly not locked in to it! What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

don't want to derail your cool post that I don't understand, but man General Wade looks cool as gently caress, is he any good?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Flipswitch posted:

don't want to derail your cool post that I don't understand, but man General Wade looks cool as gently caress, is he any good?

Wade is a Famous Commander - which means he's not at all balanced, and should only really be used when both sides have a FC. That said, I've never played with/against one, so I can't help there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Grey Hunter posted:

Wade is a Famous Commander - which means he's not at all balanced, and should only really be used when both sides have a FC. That said, I've never played with/against one, so I can't help there.

Cato looks really cool, but I haven't played UCM... ever.

Wade's main problem is that I don't think the unit he's based on exists yet, so you can't use him as something else.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
My friend and his brother went balls deep on DZC this Christmas and now they're trying to recruit some others to play with them as a sort of secondary game to our regular Warmachine group.

I've been following the thread for a little bit and trying to catch myself up. He's trying to talk me into Resistance. I haven't seen a lot of coverage on how they play and what a starter to army build might look like.

Is there anyone here big on them that can do a quick write up? Or has someone done that already hidden in the mid-teens pages somewhere?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

koreban posted:

Is there anyone here big on them that can do a quick write up? Or has someone done that already hidden in the mid-teens pages somewhere?

The Resistance come in two official flavours - "Allied" and "Feral". Allied lists get access to some UCM units, an air hero, and an unusual drill-hero that looks a bit like a C&C Generals character. Feral lists get access to really crazy fragile units, a fluff bad guy in his megatank, and an aircraft full of crazy Norwegian death-metal rockers with chainsaws.

In reality this is a smokescreen for their real flavours - tank-heavy and Mad Max Crazy Horde of Nutjobs In Technicals.

Tank-heavy Resistance gives you some very tough armoured units and an extremely nasty AA gun that won't hit as often as you'd like, but can down a medium dropship in a single shot. The drawback is having to use the Lifthawk as your own dropship. It isn't completely bad, but you pay a lot of extra points for a fighting dropship when fighting with your dropships is the last thing you want to do! The Alexander is capable but doesn't have the insane firepower of a Thunderstorm with a Warlord's Retinue. You wouldn't think so to look at it, but the huge not-Mammoth Tank is actually your budget command option.

Going for the technicals means you're the lovable crazies of Dropzone. Fast, fragile, astoundingly cheap...you can drown the enemy in bodies and your infantry's not that bad either if you bring large quantities. Using the drill to deploy them takes a bit of getting used to, but lets you threaten your opponent's backline like nothing else. Freeriders got a nerf but are still excellent harassment units. The rocket artillery wagons aren't as bad as the online whining suggests, but they do suffer from Not Being The Helicopters. Just play them like the fragile coked-up hate-fuelled nutters they are and you'll do well.

Speaking of helicopters, your air force is surprisingly solid. The attack helicopter is virtually a must-have in the current meta. The big space A-10 is a bit expensive but tough, and should be flown aggressively. If you're taking Allied then you get access to upgraded UCM Archangels which are an excellent interceptor if you don't want to shell out for Zhukovs. The Praetorians also help cover for the loss of Berserkers and have the advantage that they can actually find objectives, whereas the Feral berserkers will clear out a building for you precisely once. Likewise the Barrel Bomber will flatten a building for you...once. If you're going Feral, go for pure shock power.

Grey Hunter posted:

Wade is the UCM's answer to all their frontline commanders complaining about PHR Type 4 walkers. That railgun... :stonklol:

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 29, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He does look rather swish. I'll pick up some Gladioli when I've got my UCM painted. Got only a few more minis to build up.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

The Resistance...

Thanks a ton for this. I'm glad to see that my impressions from looking over the expansion book were mostly in line with what you've posted here. I put up an order for a starter and a couple kits to get a feeling for the game with. Initially I wasn't as impressed with the Feral options, but after your description of them, I may just have to ride this train to valhalla, shiny and chrome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Happy new year thread.

I picked up the hardback special edition of the books and drat is it cool

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone have a cool paint scheme recipe for Scourge? I can't find a scheme I like.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Does anyone have a cool paint scheme recipe for Scourge? I can't find a scheme I like.

The guy that ran the demo I played in did forest cammo on top, orange on the bottom for the "ambush predator" vibe. It seemed pretty interesting, but I feel like he used the wrong orange.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It seems like the best Sourge schemes are high contrast like this one:

Executing on something like that is challenging.

I think the metallic + wash approach just doesn't look very good. It's never high contrast enough.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Ooh I like that.

I kinda want something high contrast like that for my Dropfleet Shaltari. Luckily I have six months or so to figure it out!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Executing on something like that is challenging.

Oh god all those tiny lines.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not gonna lie this Kodiak is probably the worst miniature I've ever had to put together, what the gently caress is this:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you want, you can use the third Bear that came with the UCM starter army.

But yeah, the Kodiak bodies are a bit of a mess. I spent a fair bit of time trimming down the internal edges of each half and that made a difference.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yikes. I don't know how they could do so much better with the Bears (or the Invaders) and so poorly with that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the resin PHR Junos are the same way. The APCs are a clear case where plastic is better.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

If you want, you can use the third Bear that came with the UCM starter army.

But yeah, the Kodiak bodies are a bit of a mess. I spent a fair bit of time trimming down the internal edges of each half and that made a difference.
I really cleaned it up with a hobby knife and it doesn't look too bad now its together, the misalignment of the back is covered by the trailer hatch so it works out. I did have to partially resculpt the base of the dish receiver though, what a messy kit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Huh. I didn't realise that the Kodiak was designed like the resin Juno. I like to think that this was an early poor design choice in some of their first sculpts and that they would do things differently today. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm gonna be completely fair to them, my experiences have been that the plastics are fantastic, the resins need a little bit of work but are generally good and the Kodiak has been a complete shitshow.

My other main mini game is Infinity which has baller as gently caress sculpts, so praise isn't coming lightly either. :)

Here's the entire force now, just gotta start painting and playing!

E: looking at the long term picture here because this game does look super slick and the appeal is magnetic for me, is there anything against proxies in this game with regards to the characters? Like is there any point in me picking up a Ferrum when I can just pick up Luciana M. Cato?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Loxbourne posted:

Going for the technicals means you're the lovable crazies of Dropzone. Fast, fragile, astoundingly cheap...you can drown the enemy in bodies and your infantry's not that bad either if you bring large quantities. Using the drill to deploy them takes a bit of getting used to, but lets you threaten your opponent's backline like nothing else. Freeriders got a nerf but are still excellent harassment units. The rocket artillery wagons aren't as bad as the online whining suggests, but they do suffer from Not Being The Helicopters. Just play them like the fragile coked-up hate-fuelled nutters they are and you'll do well.

Speaking of helicopters, your air force is surprisingly solid. The attack helicopter is virtually a must-have in the current meta. The big space A-10 is a bit expensive but tough, and should be flown aggressively. If you're taking Allied then you get access to upgraded UCM Archangels which are an excellent interceptor if you don't want to shell out for Zhukovs. The Praetorians also help cover for the loss of Berserkers and have the advantage that they can actually find objectives, whereas the Feral berserkers will clear out a building for you precisely once. Likewise the Barrel Bomber will flatten a building for you...once. If you're going Feral, go for pure shock power.

Wade is the UCM's answer to all their frontline commanders complaining about PHR Type 4 walkers. That railgun... :stonklol:
Great write up. A few other things to mention: resistance have zero tanks in their standard vehicle slot, unlike most other factions. Instead you'll likely take gun wagons, which are amazing AA.

Alexander tanks are so mediocre =( which is sad because they come in the starter

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

muggins posted:

Alexander tanks are so mediocre =( which is sad because they come in the starter

The Alexander's not that bad. DZC just isn't kind to heavy tanks with only a single gun, and it suffers by comparison to the hilarious monster that is the Thunderstorm Custom.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I really wish the Invader was useful in non-starter games. It's possibly the best mini I've seen in DZC from a technical perspective. That bottom piece fits into place perfectly. I could almost skip gluing it.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Loxbourne posted:

The Alexander's not that bad. DZC just isn't kind to heavy tanks with only a single gun, and it suffers by comparison to the hilarious monster that is the Thunderstorm Custom.

I may be tough on it because I play a lot of scourge with permanent +2 from skimmer and it makes it impossible for them to do anything. I also hate the lift hawk. I dunno

The new scout atv rules are pretty bonkers

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

E: looking at the long term picture here because this game does look super slick and the appeal is magnetic for me, is there anything against proxies in this game with regards to the characters? Like is there any point in me picking up a Ferrum when I can just pick up Luciana M. Cato?

All of the Famous Commanders can be used in offcial tournaments as proxies for the 'base' model, assuming they have one. Cato can be used as a standard Ferrum, but there isn't a Broadsword unit yet to proxy Wade with, unless your TO is happy for it to be a Kodiak maybe? Likewise for PHR, Barros can be used as a Nemesis/Hades but there is no standard Hera to proxy for using Caine's model.

muggins posted:

Do you mean the Hannibals from the starter box here? Alexander is the Commander.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it was more so for Cato as it seemed a bit redundant to own her and a Ferrum you know?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Are Hannibals that mediocre? At 40 points they seem like a pretty decent heavyish tank, two guns, two DP. I guess the real trouble is needing expensive Lifthawks? But that thing is a decent combat support piece anyway, no? I guess it doesn't really matter, I love the giant overengineered rust monsters so I'll use them regardless.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah sorry I meant the Hannibal. The Alexander isn't terrible but suffers from the same stuff - lift hawk tax, slow, lack of volume of fire.

The Hannibals aren't terrible, just mediocre. I much prefer to stack my AT in a thunderstorm custom, cyclones, freeriders, even bazooka trucks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think some people have a love/hate relationship with the Hannibals because they aren't like using MBTs of the other factions. I use Hannibals as a bit of a blocker, I'll fly them somewhere in the Lifthawk and then that's basically where they'll stay, with their lifthawk running around and acting as a harrassing unit with it's AA Cannon and Missile Battery.

Resistance armour/dropships don't really have the same mobility as the other factions, so you really can't shoehorn them to do something they can't. You've got to rely on the faster, more mobile AT platforms for that kind of poo poo (i.e. Cyclones).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I built my starter tonight, along with a blister of Zhukovs, an Alexander and a pair of Cyclones. Feels like a decent little force, though I guess I'm short some drills or lifthawks to bring stuff in on.

My next buys will be battle buses and missile trucks and scout bikes for feral, as that's the direction I'll be going in the end. Is there any sort of tactic write up on how to play resistance? I'm not sure whether to be more aggressive or play to objectives and cat-and-mouse with my fliers to draw fire away from my Jacksons.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I would say always play to objectives as that is where the victory points come from!

Killing enemy units is about controlling the board, and you have firepower to be doing that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Basically play Feral Resistance as if you were in Mad Max.

When your units die, make sure you say "Mediocre"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

Not gonna lie this Kodiak is probably the worst miniature I've ever had to put together, what the gently caress is this:

The person who cast the PHR Juno transports should be shot.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

The person who cast the PHR Juno transports should be shot.

I was really impressed by the models for the resistance helicopters. The sprue connections for the wings are poo poo, but the way the rotor blades fit into the coupling is really great and feels quite secure.

Even better is that the connecting peg and hole are just perfect for careful drilling for magnetization of the rotors for storing flat so they don't bend.

Plus they're made of metal :black101:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Those copter blades will cut the poo poo out of you

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So a little Invasion update. The tournament is on Sat 30th/Sun 31st of January, but there will also be a casual gaming evening on the Friday night. The venue will be open 6-10pm with a bar and a couple of Hawk staff present.

Extra gaming ahoy! :)

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Interesting, that confirms that I should head down early.

Now I just need to paint my stuff, build a working army and figure out how to play the game!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone doing the tourneys at Adepticon? I would love to follow someone around for a game and see how it is actually played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

Interesting, that confirms that I should head down early.

Now I just need to paint my stuff, build a working army and figure out how to play the game!

If you spot the blue/grey painted PHR in my avatar say hi. Because that'll be me.