Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is this the longest break yet? I think we still have a few weeks before we are surpass the longest break.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The palace invasion is still some of the coolest poo poo I've seen in a shounen anime. I love how they actually did something cool with the whole Frieza Time thing and picked apart every second of a battle that lasted a few minutes at most. It would get annoying if this is how things were usually handled, but hearing the play by play on such a complex fight was awesome.

Yeah, I loving loved how they played out literally second by second, the thought process that went on inside everyone's heads when Zeno unleashed his Dragon Dive, the emotional turmoil, and so on.

It's especially good in the Yuupi fight because they're literally fighting to stay alive long enough for Knuckles's power to take effect, so every loving second counts. The hunters don't really have any chance of hurting the King or the Royal Guard, so it's all about winning through unique conditions and biding for as much time as possible. They focus on running and hitting, grabbing attention, trickery, smoke illusions, etc.

It's amazing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is this the longest break yet? I think we still have a few weeks before we are surpass the longest break.

Nope, there was never a year where he produced nothing before, and he produced absolutely nothing in 2015. This is already the longest break ever.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tangentially related, I still love Zeno just completely losing any will to stick around when he sees Komugi :unsmith:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tangentially related, I still love Zeno just completely losing any will to stick around when he sees Komugi :unsmith:

Killua fails to achieve anything against Netero, vents by killing 2 random dudes taking part in the Hunter Exam.
Zeno accidentally hurts someone, is sad.

Makes you think.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, that is actually one of the few instances were the story slips too much into 'anime morality' for my taste.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Makes sense that a dude who kills for money would not enjoy killing someone for no money.

It's called professionalism.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Killua fails to achieve anything against Netero, vents by killing 2 random dudes taking part in the Hunter Exam.
Zeno accidentally hurts someone, is sad.

Makes you think.

100 year old isn't rash and stupid while 12 year old broke brain abused with mind control person is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bet you if you took the 100 year old Zeno and aged him down to 12 years old but kept his experiences and personality he would still not kill someone randomly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Zeno is an old dude with standards who only takes out the targets of his mission, and Netero got him into the mission saying it'd be targeting a bunch of monsters, which is why he was willing to use the Dragon Dive there. Discovering that, no, there's a civilian here and he possibly killed her, definitely hurt her, made him unhappy because of his code and professionalism; had he known Komugi was there, he wouldn't have rained indiscriminate hell on the area.

Killua, on the other hand, was brought up... Wrongly. Distant from other people, taught to kill from a young age without any reasons why he shouldn't kill someone who isn't family, etc. Silva seems to realize that their training of him isn't going to plan, hence allowing him to go out on his own to experience and learn things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 4, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nope, there was never a year where he produced nothing before, and he produced absolutely nothing in 2015. This is already the longest break ever.

The longest break was 06/07 where there were a handful at the start of 06 and then a slightly larger handful at the end of 07. The current one is still about 9 or 10 issues short of topping that one, despite a full calendar year of no HxH, because the last batch was closer to the end of 2014.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checking other things, I wonder what happened with Chrollo. At the end of Greed Island, the Troupe had their exorcist, but, Kurapika had stated earlier in the arc that he'd know if his chain was broken. Given his lack of a freakout, that probably hasn't happened. So, what has the Troupe been up to in the meantime? In the Ant arc they were dealing with the ants, but that was done quickly, and there was no sign of Chrollo or Abengane with them. Heck, they did that whole contest to make Feitan the leader while Chrollo's still missing; obviously Chrollo can't contact the Troupe, but they had Hisoka's help and whatnot too. They're taking a surprisingly long time to find him. Or, well, surprising but for the fact that the moment they find and free him, Kurapika will know and start gunning for them again, which will definitely be an arc of its own and thus has to wait, but, I wonder what the in-universe reasons for it taking so long are.

Edit: Tangentially, one of my favorite parts of Yorknew is when Kurapika has Chrollo and the Troupe has Gon and Killua; Kurapika calls the Troupe with his demands, and Phinks, being a dick, says that they already hurt Gon and Killua in the struggle (because he's planning on beating them up)... At which point Kurapika immediately says the deal is off and hangs up. Phinks being forced to call Kurapika back, apologize, and admit he lied, as if he were a misbehaving child or something, is a great bit of comedy in the middle of that arc, and the rest of the Troupe immediately piling on him after he hands the phone over is fun too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TriffTshngo posted:

The longest break was 06/07 where there were a handful at the start of 06 and then a slightly larger handful at the end of 07. The current one is still about 9 or 10 issues short of topping that one, despite a full calendar year of no HxH, because the last batch was closer to the end of 2014.

Time is a flat circle

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

he's drawn out a few chapters allegedly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Checking other things, I wonder what happened with Chrollo. At the end of Greed Island, the Troupe had their exorcist, but, Kurapika had stated earlier in the arc that he'd know if his chain was broken. Given his lack of a freakout, that probably hasn't happened. So, what has the Troupe been up to in the meantime? In the Ant arc they were dealing with the ants, but that was done quickly, and there was no sign of Chrollo or Abengane with them. Heck, they did that whole contest to make Feitan the leader while Chrollo's still missing; obviously Chrollo can't contact the Troupe, but they had Hisoka's help and whatnot too. They're taking a surprisingly long time to find him. Or, well, surprising but for the fact that the moment they find and free him, Kurapika will know and start gunning for them again, which will definitely be an arc of its own and thus has to wait, but, I wonder what the in-universe reasons for it taking so long are.

Edit: Tangentially, one of my favorite parts of Yorknew is when Kurapika has Chrollo and the Troupe has Gon and Killua; Kurapika calls the Troupe with his demands, and Phinks, being a dick, says that they already hurt Gon and Killua in the struggle (because he's planning on beating them up)... At which point Kurapika immediately says the deal is off and hangs up. Phinks being forced to call Kurapika back, apologize, and admit he lied, as if he were a misbehaving child or something, is a great bit of comedy in the middle of that arc, and the rest of the Troupe immediately piling on him after he hands the phone over is fun too.

It's especially noticeable cause Hisoka reappears for the election. Might be that it'll take time for Abengane to remove the restriction placed by Kurapika, which is likely to be magnitudes more powerful than the bombs used by Genthru. Don't think Kurapika's restriction even had a condition to dispel it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I loving loved how they played out literally second by second, the thought process that went on inside everyone's heads when Zeno unleashed his Dragon Dive, the emotional turmoil, and so on.

It's especially good in the Yuupi fight because they're literally fighting to stay alive long enough for Knuckles's power to take effect, so every loving second counts. The hunters don't really have any chance of hurting the King or the Royal Guard, so it's all about winning through unique conditions and biding for as much time as possible. They focus on running and hitting, grabbing attention, trickery, smoke illusions, etc.

It's amazing.

Hunter X Hunter is really great about showing when other characters are extremely threatening and far more powerful/stronger than the protagonists. You can see this both in the segment you're talking about in the Chimera Ant arc as well as throughout the Yorknew City arc when Gon/Killua are trying to hide from (and later escape) members of the Phantom Troupe.

In both cases you're 100% aware that the protagonists aren't going to win against their enemies with a burst of shounen righteous fury or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's especially noticeable cause Hisoka reappears for the election. Might be that it'll take time for Abengane to remove the restriction placed by Kurapika, which is likely to be magnitudes more powerful than the bombs used by Genthru. Don't think Kurapika's restriction even had a condition to dispel it.

Oh yeah, if/when we see Chrollo again, he's going to have a freaky nen beast accompanying him because he can't dispel it. Also, the beast getting to the chains probably won't be fun; Abengane's beast ate the bomb off of him, but the chains are around Chrollo's heart. Presumably it won't just rip him open to get to them, but, I can imagine it won't be pleasant.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ytlaya posted:

In both cases you're 100% aware that the protagonists aren't going to win against their enemies with a burst of shounen righteous fury or something.

And then the one time it finally does happen, well....

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Gon vs Hisoka is probably my favorite full-on fight in HxH. It's just so good, with Gon literally using every trick he's accumulated during his travels to finally land a blow on Hisoka, and it's also really informative cause Hisoka lays out the intricacies of nen usage in battle.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I forgot how telegraphed Squalla's death was. Out of nowhere you get a scene of him talking to his lover telling her he's 2 days from retirement and a scene with him bonding with his dogs. It still hurts. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I forgot how telegraphed Squalla's death was. Out of nowhere you get a scene of him talking to his lover telling her he's 2 days from retirement and a scene with him bonding with his dogs. It still hurts. :(

I always feel a bit of sadness for bit characters who get killed off.

Like Ponzu and Pokkle from the Chimera Ant arc. Especially Pokkle. Incredibly hosed up and brutal way to go.

Or Schwala (or whatever), the dog guy who got beheaded by Nobunaga. Especially after that dude sets a ton of death flags like "this is my last job" and "I'm gonna marry my girlfriend."

Or Bodero (or whatever), the only guy to get killed in the final part of the 287th Hunter Exam.

It's sad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dude could have lived if he'd just run away but he chose to bring the eyes with him because he is a dedicated professional.

I weep.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They were the fake eyes Kortopi made, too, which is how he was tracked down. They weren't even worth anything, so all his death accomplished was the Troupe learning about Kurapika (And, indirectly, Neon gaining a bit of humanity after Eliza has a breakdown).

Also that moment is a good reminder of how the Troupe is to outsiders; Pakunoda deliberately goads him into his outburst by bringing up Eliza, leading to Nobunaga beheading him. Her death is sad but it's important to remember that she and the friends she sacrificed herself for are terrible people. Which is something HxH does well, characterize its villains and give them depth and sympathetic moments even as they remain completely villainous.

Edit: Another "fun" Troupe thing, the Indoor Fish. Remember those? They're the weird nen fish Chrollo makes to eat that one guy alive, not killing him until the room is unsealed. Whoever made that power must have been quite the piece of work, because it's just a nasty, nasty thing.

Also, given that Chrollo seems to like to collect weird powers, the Troupe probably still has the Owl alive somewhere, which, given the state he was in when we last saw him, probably isn't very pleasant for him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason Machi has always seemed out of place as a Phantom Troupe member. I can't really articulate why, but she just doesn't seem like the other members.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

They were the fake eyes Kortopi made, too, which is how he was tracked down. They weren't even worth anything, so all his death accomplished was the Troupe learning about Kurapika (And, indirectly, Neon gaining a bit of humanity after Eliza has a breakdown).

Also that moment is a good reminder of how the Troupe is to outsiders; Pakunoda deliberately goads him into his outburst by bringing up Eliza, leading to Nobunaga beheading him. Her death is sad but it's important to remember that she and the friends she sacrificed herself for are terrible people. Which is something HxH does well, characterize its villains and give them depth and sympathetic moments even as they remain completely villainous.

Edit: Another "fun" Troupe thing, the Indoor Fish. Remember those? They're the weird nen fish Chrollo makes to eat that one guy alive, not killing him until the room is unsealed. Whoever made that power must have been quite the piece of work, because it's just a nasty, nasty thing.

Also, given that Chrollo seems to like to collect weird powers, the Troupe probably still has the Owl alive somewhere, which, given the state he was in when we last saw him, probably isn't very pleasant for him.

Yeah, that just made it hurt all the more too. Squala died for nothing. :cry:

Speakin' of Korutopi, makes you wonder just how much fuckin' nen the guy has to be able to make his copies. Sure, they're just copies, but they're incredibly well made, last for a whopping 24 hours even without being in contact with him, and so on.

At least Owl's still alive, unlike the rest of the Shadow Beasts. So he's got that going for him. Makes you sorta wonder what they do with the people Chrollo steals powers from anyways. They probably just throw them out or something I guess. They don't seem like the type to lock people up, what with how often they travel around.

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason Machi has always seemed out of place as a Phantom Troupe member. I can't really articulate why, but she just doesn't seem like the other members.

Yeah, this, too.

Maybe it's her pink / purple clothes, which sorta stand out among the mostly dark colored outfits of the other Troupe?

Or maybe it's cause her outfit is sorta like that of a ninja or whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I bet he's been spending the year outlining the arc so he can produce it in a go or two or is at least setting up a backlog. We've seen the quality of chapters that were likely rather rushed and that stems from his penchant for doing the entire series solo. Unlike Oda who has a rough outline of a given arc and then seems to play it by ear no matter how long it takes, Togashi seems to want to work at his own pace and get things plotted out rather tightly. If he had assistants doing the poo poo assistants are usually trusted in doing (betas, applying dialogue, etc.), he'd probably be a bit more ahead. Instead we have an entire year without chapters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Speakin' of Korutopi, makes you wonder just how much fuckin' nen the guy has to be able to make his copies. Sure, they're just copies, but they're incredibly well made, last for a whopping 24 hours even without being in contact with him, and so on.
Pretty sure it's less an issue of power, more just allocation. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the only thing he can do, honestly.

Stairmaster posted:

Source?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty sure it's less an issue of power, more just allocation. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the only thing he can do, honestly.

Even the weakest Phantom is still probably a pretty strong Phantom, and the dude apparently can fight in some manner given how he was getting ready to battle during the temporary schism when Chrollo got kidnapped.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kortopi's strange because on the one hand he seems like possibly the weakest Troupe member, even considering Kalluto; he was last in the arm wrestling rankings, and we almost never see him fight, in large part because his ability is too unique and valuable for them to give up, as Shalnark points out when discussing who to risk in Yorknew. However, he was, alongside Machi, willing to stand up to Phinks and Feitan, two of the strongest Troupe members, during the feuding over whether to let Pakunoda deal with Kurapika herself or not. Feitan also laughed at this and seemed surprised he'd dare try, though, so, he's probably not particularly strong combat-wise, but he likely has some combat ability and wasn't planning on just throwing his life away. And, yeah, he has the nen to make fifty skyscrapers, which is ridiculous. It's probably partially a matter of the limits he has on them (only a day, and he can only copy a thing he's touching, so no making something out of nothing), but he still has to have a ton of nen for that.

Edit: Wrote all that over an hour ago, got up to play a game with my little brother, and came back to post it, but most of the points were covered already. Oh well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kortopi is almost certainly a powerful nen user, I'm just saying it's not like he'd be the only guy in the series to sacrifice everything for one really potent ability.

Long as we're on the subject though I have to say I'm not especially fond of Feitan's ability, nor the fact that Shanark can use his remotes on himself to boost his power Super Saiyan-style.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Kortopi is almost certainly a powerful nen user, I'm just saying it's not like he'd be the only guy in the series to sacrifice everything for one really potent ability.

Long as we're on the subject though I have to say I'm not especially fond of Feitan's ability, nor the fact that Shanark can use his remotes on himself to boost his power Super Saiyan-style.

Hella interested in Feitan, but I also do not care for Super Saiyan Shalnark.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Phinks also has a pretty underwhelming attack when compared to Uvo.

Spin my arm several times, leaving myself vulnerable, to throw a punch that might be overkill versus throw a punch really hard while yelling to obliterate everything.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, were it not for Kortopi standing up to Feitan and Phinks that one time, plus accompanying the others on their mission to capture Squala and stuff, I'd assume he had no combat ability at all. However, given those incidents, I assume he must be at least capable of fighting, though he's not necessarily good at it, relative to most people in this at least. Edit: Oh, he also joined the Troupe on Greed Island, at least at first, though only Feitan and Phinks really stuck around. Edit again: Also, it's worth noting that he's one of the few Conjurers who can conjure items he's not intimately familiar with. That's another crazy-impressive thing about him.

Shalnark's self-control ability is odd, yes. Presumably it's not too smart, though, so I wouldn't be surprised, if he fights Kurapika in the future, him dying (and not even realizing it due to his lack of awareness during it) because Kurapika outplays his auto-pilot or something. As for Feitan... Yeah, he's just really powerful, and apparently his ability has multiple forms too, so. I wonder what limits it has beyond "hurts more the more damage he takes". Maybe he has to take damage to use it at all? He didn't go for anything beyond basic nen and his physical ability before he got hit.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Phinks is a cool dude and probably my favorite Spider.

I love that his power is just a weaponized "Why I oughta" cartoon wind-up punch.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I kinda of like Shalnark's berserk mode. It basically trade away all the adaptivity of his normal power for one crazy burst, completely changing the paradigm of his style as a panic button. Given how [bad[ an idea it is to sacrifice adaptivity for power in HxH, though, this is basically a suicide button unless his opponent is trapped in specific patterns, and that's what makes it acceptable for me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Shalnark's self-control ability is odd, yes. Presumably it's not too smart, though, so I wouldn't be surprised, if he fights Kurapika in the future, him dying (and not even realizing it due to his lack of awareness during it) because Kurapika outplays his auto-pilot or something. As for Feitan... Yeah, he's just really powerful, and apparently his ability has multiple forms too, so. I wonder what limits it has beyond "hurts more the more damage he takes". Maybe he has to take damage to use it at all? He didn't go for anything beyond basic nen and his physical ability before he got hit.
The ability to create people puppets is one of my favorite "Bad guy" superpowers, both for the innate horror factor as well as the obvious benefits and limitations. It's an interesting ability that's unnerving to see in action and makes for a compelling combat puzzle on both sides. Shalnark himself is also one of my favorite Spiders, and I really like how his cheerful attitude and even-keeled temperament contrasts with his job, affiliations, and lifestyle. Him flipping a super strength switch which puts him on auto-pilot effectively cuts out everything I liked about his character.

Feitan though I've never really liked anyway so I guess that's not much harm done.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'd definitely like to see more action from Zoldyck family - Silva, Zeno, and Illumi. Or even more Hisoka and Illumi hijinks, they're such a dark mirror of Gon and Killua.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think we saw a decent enough amount of them already. Especially with basically a whole miniarc devoted to them and Zeno being a key player in the previous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never trust any unsourced claims about hxh. there are just way too many of them and they are all nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Finished the anime. That was all REALLY good. If there's one thing I could say I didn't like about the series, it was the Greed Island villain, such a stupid cartoony evil-man.

I then read the remaining chapters...and now I join with the despair. :negative: