Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Cowman posted:

these commentators have moments where they explain things and are interesting but then there's a ton of either dead air or shoutouts :(

Yeah I just had this on while I was getting some work in order for going back to my job tomorrow, and I was surprised at the amount of dead air. It's like they assume we're all familiar with the routes already. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

all speed runs are terrible, please replace with a weeklong stream of a nintendo programmed to relay twitch chat, tia

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

disjoe posted:

all speed runs are terrible, please replace with a weeklong stream of a nintendo programmed to relay twitch chat, tia
Never before has a Ricoh 5A22 processed so many Star Wars spoilers...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
SpikeVegeta directly calling bullshit on blue bears

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

"if you don't longjump fast enough you'll crash the game"

well that's hosed isn't it

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

tell me there is some anti-bacterial wipes for the headsets every other run or so :gonk:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
spikevegeta seems like a cool guy, is he a big deal in the speedrunning community? his run was entertaining

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hubris.height posted:

spikevegeta seems like a cool guy, is he a big deal in the speedrunning community? his run was entertaining

yeah he's kind of a cornerstone to this event at this point, it wouldn't feel like a GDQ without him

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Well, cheese is boned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

Spikevegeta owns

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

super mario dead air

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Eonwe posted:

Spikevegeta owns

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMoq3kmT26Q

Cheese right now.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Spikevegeta owns

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

hubris.height posted:

He's reasonably popular and seems to go out of his way to be cool to lots of speedgame communities and just seems sort of generally pleasant. I dunno about a big deal as such so much as just everyone likes having him around, ya know?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
monkey strats!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Kill spikevegeta

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The RPGs are great if you really like them and don't already know all the tricks. For instance FF6 at SGDQ was fantastic since I loved that game back in the 90s and played the poo poo out it. But then watching some speed runners break it to bits and exploit every weakness, many of which were new to me, served to be much more than a nostalgia ride.

But if you've never played the game or if you don't give a gently caress, then it's going to be boring because there is nothing flashy to watch.

As for why people would speed run RPGS to begin with, it's mostly about routing and exploiting the rules. Usually you fight a boss and use your X ability to kill it, but now you don't have X ability, you're way underlevel, and you have no gear. So you gotta figure out a way to make it work. Which is fun in its own way, and does follow the core philosophy the other speed runs do.

That said I'm looking forward to this Dragon Age Origins run. Sadly it's at some ungodly AM time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

shoutout to shaq-fu

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Cowman posted:

shoutout to shaq-fu

now that's what i call epic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shoutout to the commentators completely ignoring Simply.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Puncay needs to hurry up and put this run to bed.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

oh shiiiiii

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Photex posted:

About that...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Photex posted:

lol

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
WELP

edit: more liek Simply CHOKES god damnit lol

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Oh man.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.