Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anything that implements steam vr should support both headsets assuming you have the required peripherals. Steam vr is the true open platform. Steam doesn't really care about the hardware. They created lighthouse to have a set standard for other companies to use when making headsets. They want steam vr to be open because the more headsets it supports, the more software they can sell on steam.

I think oculus should be a safe bet. I don't know if anything comes bundled with the vive when it comes out. The oculus comes with two games so far. The only disadvantage is waiting for touch to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just loving sell them already, either one, I don't care. I will buy. I'll buy both. I have a job and am interested in gaming beyond triples, gimme my 2016 VR! Everyday my 980 is a little bit older!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So the deafening silence when I asked about using a gamepad in sims last page compelled me to look into wheels. :D I couldn't find a T300 under 500 AUD but I found a G920 for 300 (about 220 US) which is... pretty cheap.

HOWEVER!@

With the Logitech I am noticing too big a gap in the wheel centering or force feedback - not sure what to call it yet - whenever I weight transition a car, kind of around the steering wheels center, I thinnk. So now I'm having a bit of a grass is always greener mini-crisis and wondering if this is what people talk about when they say the T300 is better?

The price and the peddles sold me on the logitech but I either assumed peddles would have force feedback or I didn't realize how much I would miss a semblance of dynamic peddle feel, so I can't imagine the T300 peddles are that much worse than the logitech given they both lack what really makes them useful.

Also drat guys, how do you drive without feedback in peddles and how insane does the cost go to get it go? I assume some custom sim company makes peddles with feedback?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Qmass posted:

So the deafening silence when I asked about using a gamepad in sims last page compelled me to look into wheels. :D I couldn't find a T300 under 500 AUD but I found a G920 for 300 (about 220 US) which is... pretty cheap.

HOWEVER!@

With the Logitech I am noticing too big a gap in the wheel centering or force feedback - not sure what to call it yet - whenever I weight transition a car, kind of around the steering wheels center, I thinnk. So now I'm having a bit of a grass is always greener mini-crisis and wondering if this is what people talk about when they say the T300 is better?

The price and the peddles sold me on the logitech but I either assumed peddles would have force feedback or I didn't realize how much I would miss a semblance of dynamic peddle feel, so I can't imagine the T300 peddles are that much worse than the logitech given they both lack what really makes them useful.

Also drat guys, how do you drive without feedback in peddles and how insane does the cost go to get it go? I assume some custom sim company makes peddles with feedback?

Don't know what pedals it works with, but the conical brake mod is popular to improve brake feel. I don't think there are any sims that have anything like pedal force feedback, but the general standard of "good" pedals use a load cell instead of a potentiometer for the brake pedal. This is based on pressure like a real car. The current cheapest option is the $300US Fanatec ClubSport brakes, or Fanatec CSR Elites if you can find them used. Fanatec is making another line of wheel equipment called the CSL line - they may include a load cell in those pedals but nothing has been confirmed other than a wheel rim.

E: never used any Logitech gear, but my Fanatec rumbles the wheel when the brake pedal reaches x% of travel, or when you approach wheel lockup when using FanaLEDs software. ClubSport pedals will rumble the brake pedal with this software, but it's not terribly strong.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 2, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah. Expect to spend about 300 bucks for what you are asking for.

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-usa.html

Conical break mods improve brake feel a lot without having to buy an expensive load cell mod, or the clubsports.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Fanatec CSR Elite pedals are pretty good. You'd have to buy them used now but that isn't that big of a deal. They are affordable and have a load cell for the brakes. I'd sell mine to anyone local to the San Antonio area but I don't feel like shipping them.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
+1 for the Fanatec CSR pedals. Love mine. No force feedback, but the load cell brake pedal makes a huge difference.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I have the version 3s preorderd because I can't stand my TX pedals anymore.

Don't know what I'm going to do for Forza pedals since the guy who makes the adapter I need seems to be in hibernation.

Been spending most of my time with Dirt and Asseto Corsa, so I guess it doesn't matter much.. for now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ganondork posted:

+1 for the Fanatec CSR pedals. Love mine. No force feedback, but the load cell brake pedal makes a huge difference.

I should clarify here CSR Elite pedals. There were separate CSR pedals that did not have a load cell. Do not buy CSR pedals, they are a waste of time.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Question for people who already use VR: Do you use the virtual driver arms or not? I wonder if it's weirder to see arms that are not aligned with your real arms or if you're invisible.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In regards to the new thread: Anyone want to catch an early post again to maintain?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the arms are modeled to rotate the wheel more than 90 degrees, I'll use them. Iracing stops rotating the wheel at 90 degrees with the arms on and it kills it for me. Arms being off doesn't bother me. Seeing where the wheel is if what I really need.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I decided to pull the trigger on Project Cars and went straight into the career mode thing and holy poo poo how do you drive these formula rookie things. What kind of black art is required to get it to stop swapping ends every time you turn the wheel? I'm trying to match the AI cars pace through the corners but I simply spin out. Is the default setup real bad or something?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yes PCARS default tunes and controller settings are trash. I assume you're using a game pad?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not only are the default tunes trash, figuring out how to modify and use the tune is like solving a mystery with no clues. Great game with some boggling issues.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Also since the last patch, there are issues with tire heating. They said they're fixing it soon but for now if everything slides like it's on ice because the tires are always cold, you'll want to drop the pressures a bunch or run rain tires.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't tried it, but I've heard project cars is very hard to control with a game pad. I haven't used project cars recently, but I've always found the formula rookie easy to drive with a wheel.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yes PCARS default tunes and controller settings are trash. I assume you're using a game pad?

Nah, bought a G29 for dirt rally and decided I wanted to try out another sim as well. One thing I'm also annoyed by is the lack of steam workshop integration, I'm notoriously lovely at tuning and much prefer to download other people's tunes and make small tweaks to them than start from scratch myself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Here's a tip: stiffen front springs and soften the rear so they're around 2:1. Stiffen front anti roll and soften rear anti roll.

That'll solve the issue of the rear lazily floating out from under you.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Here's a tip: stiffen front springs and soften the rear so they're around 2:1. Stiffen front anti roll and soften rear anti roll.

That'll solve the issue of the rear lazily floating out from under you.

I'll give it a shot when I try again tomorrow, thanks for the advice!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

Question for people who already use VR: Do you use the virtual driver arms or not? I wonder if it's weirder to see arms that are not aligned with your real arms or if you're invisible.

Yes I do leave the arms in.
After racing for a few minutes and you are focusing to the middle distance while concentrating it's quite something when your brain kicks in and auto fills in your arms for you.
Your brain just goes 'yup whatever these are probably your arms' and it's the strangest thing

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

peter gabriel posted:

Yes I do leave the arms in.
After racing for a few minutes and you are focusing to the middle distance while concentrating it's quite something when your brain kicks in and auto fills in your arms for you.
Your brain just goes 'yup whatever these are probably your arms' and it's the strangest thing

That reminds me of the rubber hand illusion.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't tried it, but I've heard project cars is very hard to control with a game pad. I haven't used project cars recently, but I've always found the formula rookie easy to drive with a wheel.
Project CARS is the easiest (or close to) circuit racing Sim for PC to drive with a gamepad.

Some configs in the Project CARS thread.

bUm fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 4, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Popehoist posted:

Nah, bought a G29 for dirt rally and decided I wanted to try out another sim as well. One thing I'm also annoyed by is the lack of steam workshop integration, I'm notoriously lovely at tuning and much prefer to download other people's tunes and make small tweaks to them than start from scratch myself.

Downloading setups through Steam workshop is one of those things Dirt Rally has done that I can't believe no-one thought to do before. Even the one other game that has workshop support (rF2) doesn't have it and that's really annoying when those default setups are pretty rubbish at times as well.

Also apparently SCE had its best week of sales ever this week following the Automobilista announcement :toot:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shine posted:

That reminds me of the rubber hand illusion.

I think it's the same stuff yeah.
It's a strange thing in VR when you come to realise your brain is up there doing its own thing and you aren't in control of it. It's really impressive when it happens but slightly unnerving as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars plays wonderfully on a game pad, which is why I prefer it far more to any other sim.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rift preorders open January 6th:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/oculus-rift-preorders-start-wednesday-at-11am-et8am-pt/

I won't pre-order, I want to get the public's view of how good it is before committing, but it's pretty great that this is a thing that's finally happening.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xzzy posted:

Rift preorders open January 6th:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/oculus-rift-preorders-start-wednesday-at-11am-et8am-pt/

I won't pre-order, I want to get the public's view of how good it is before committing, but it's pretty great that this is a thing that's finally happening.

I think the experience of using the rift would be pretty cool in a driving game but the act of wearing a helmet to play a video game just feels so dorky and I can't bring myself to buy one.

I think my wife seeing me use a VR helmet would exceed my her tolerance level as far the hobby of sim-racing goes. She already commented that "I can't believe a product so specialized even exists" when I gleefully set up my CSR Elite pedal inversion kit. Any respect I have left from her would probably dwindle away the second she saw me waving my head around in a helmet.

Edit: this post might make my wife sound like a terrible person. She's not, she's great. But I think sometimes hardcore gamers/simmers forget that most people don't understand their need for immersion in games and sims and seeing me using a VR helmet which totally cuts the player off from the outside is a bit too far.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 4, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

"I can't believe a product so specialized even exists"

*buys endless amounts of shoes and purses*

Everyone has a thing they like to do that other people think Is stupid. Don't let a great, immersive experience pass you by just because you might look dumb.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Put the loving helmet on her head to show her why you need it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
gently caress that buy an open faced helmet and see if you cant wear that and the rift together.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I know a few of you here have dev kits - how the hell do you make adjustments for pit stops or in-car settings while wearing it? I have a hard enough time glancing down to use my button box or keyboard/mouse while driving.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently there is a patch that goes behind your ear to help with sea sickness.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does anyone use a steam link with their rig or would the latency be a problem?would it even register my dfgt? I have a nice rig but moving my pc over to it is a hassle.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have played a bit of Project Cars via Link and it is certainly playable. It felt a bit weird in an indescribable way but that might have been the Steam controller. I have no idea if a wheel would work but it take USB inputs and sends it to the computer so I don't see why it wouldn't

e: Nevermind I'm dumb:

Please note, other input devices may work, however other controllers and input devices have not been tested and are therefore not supported at this time.
Devices that DO NOT work with the Steam Link
Xbox One - Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows
Flight Sticks
Steering Wheels

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 4, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not totally sure, but a quick look at the steam forums tells me that the steam link needs to support the device and send inputs to the PC. The peripheral does not get installed on the PC you're streaming from.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Ah that's a bummer, this would work great for a rig. Hopefully someday it'll be compatible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That they're opening preorders and still haven't announced a price for the Oculus is stupid to me but I suppose the really huge nerds are gonna buy it regardless of price.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The CEO said the cost of a min-spec PC and rift would be around $1500. Min-spec is 8GB of RAM, GTX970, i5-4590, and a new PC built around those will run about $900, so theorycrafting says the headset price will be in the $600 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm hoping it's more in the less than 500 closer to 400 range. I think more than the cost of a console for just the rift will be asking too much of people. Palmer said that everyone else announces prices when the preorder goes up, so that's what they are doing.

• Locked thread