Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My favourite pope was excommunicated when he became pope. I love popes.

Why ask how to have fun playing the game if the answers aren't really going to help? Like yeah it's fair that you're not going to like things in exactly the way others do but if that's the case there's no need to ask how other people enjoy it. It's not as though any of us (except groogy i guess) can change that.

Anyway, the answers are play through it because it doesn't happen too often or reload a save if it's too frustrating. I reload when stuff I consider bullshit happens, and I imagine most people do. Though what counts as bullshit is an individual thing.

I always play with ironman because it's those ridiculous things that have led to some of my most enjoyable games and I don't want to be tempted to reload.

For example, one of my best games involved forming Britannia, and having my 22 year old son succeed me, only to immediately die. I failed to be able to deal with the subsequent rebellion and ended up with an isolated duchy in Spain.

From where I ultimately formed the kingdom of Andalusia and started the reconquista. When I was nearly finished a green Muslim blob showed up and because of one roll of the dice, I lost a battle that lost me most of my territory in Spain, and now had to start over as basically a count in Bavaria; where I had to pick my dynasty back up again and ultimately ended up with the HRE.

I know this is the exact opposite of what the OP wanted to hear, but it is those kind of challenges that really make CKII fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Truth. I've spent more time modding games over the holidays than playing those games. Feature creep isn't bad judgment, it's a pathology and we all need help.
The trick is to just start another mod once you're "done" with one project. That way you won't start getting the shakes and muttering to yourself "if I add just ONE MORE REGION/CHARACTER/EVENT CHAIN then it'll be PERFECT" while you bloat the gently caress out of everything.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Minor mystery: Is there any reason a title might be non-revokeable? I don't just mean "You need a special reason to revoke" or "I will not submit to your tyrannous demand", the dude's locked in my dungeon following a failed independence revolt so I've got both of those. My current thinking is that it's because it's a merchant republic, but I'm ready to be proven wrong.

Also minor mystery: Castile, in Spain, has somehow taken over the Duchy of Turov, in Ruthenia. My best guess is that an unlanded dude with a claim on Turov married into the Castilian court, a faction revolt pressed his claim, and somehow after that war was over, he stayed a vassal of Castile.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Well what does it say when you mouse over the confirm button with the title you want to revoke selected?

You can definitely revoke titles from merchant republics but they will always go to war with you over it.
Are you sure it's not "special reason to revoke"? It is possible you have a truce with him specifically in which case I believe you need a claim on the title in order to revoke it, him being in your prison isn't enough, though I think it should let you revoke a single title from him first.
Otherwise could be an autonomous vassals law for whatever kingdom he is de jure part of. I've also seen cases where a title cannot be revoked until 'x' date (without a truce) but I am not sure exactly what causes that.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

The trick is to just start another mod once you're "done" with one project. That way you won't start getting the shakes and muttering to yourself "if I add just ONE MORE REGION/CHARACTER/EVENT CHAIN then it'll be PERFECT" while you bloat the gently caress out of everything.

Incidentally, I want to add northern South America to AtE.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Skellybones posted:

Incidentally, I want to add northern South America to AtE.

You'll doom us all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
speaking of AtE , do Brethern have cheaper ships or is 14 ships just a cheap amount to maintain while raiding

i thought personal demesne ships were crazy expensive

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
In the current patch there is a bug I believe where the raiding cultures will get the ships for free. I fixed in 2.5, though Raiders still got it cheaper.

All this was before the Midwinter blot so I hope I remember correctly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groogy posted:

In the current patch there is a bug I believe where the raiding cultures will get the ships for free. I fixed in 2.5, though Raiders still got it cheaper.

what

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Groogy posted:

Dang, I thought that was a feature. I hope you at least tune it so that you can actually make a profit from raiding, unlike how it was the patch before.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Raiders (Pagans, tribes, nomads and Hindus) get a discount on ship maintenance.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Torrannor posted:

Raiders (Pagans, tribes, nomads and Hindus) get a discount on ship maintenance.

i was more confused if it meant that it did transfer to the mod but i suppose it did since well yeah duh

cool imo i think imma fiddle with some poo poo and keep that im a loving pirate i need all the ships for loot

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

verbal enema posted:

i was more confused if it meant that it did transfer to the mod but i suppose it did since well yeah duh

Well yeah its a bug in the actual native code which the modders can't touch.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groogy posted:

Well yeah its a bug in the actual native code which the modders can't touch.

is it possible to add a search feature in the map selection screen? Basically the find a character menu

the screen when you're chooseing who to play i mean

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, I've just found a display bug. I'm playing a Zunist Russian character, and the Druzhina cultural retinue has a native attack and defense bonus. Coupled with the attack and defense bonus of being Zunist, and the defense bonus of having a Druzhina Training Ground in my capital, the game doesn't display the defensive bonuses anymore when hovering over a them in the army selection screen, only the offensive bonuses. Probably because it ran out of space.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Everything is possible.
But I have more important priorities for the next patch. Added a much asked for feature which is my proudest achievement in all my years as a programmer.

You will know exactly what I mean when you see it.

E: When I die and I am going to be remembered for something, this is the one thing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

finally, Secret Bears

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Groogy posted:

Added a much asked for feature which is my proudest achievement in all my years as a programmer.

You will know exactly what I mean when you see it.

E: When I die and I am going to be remembered for something, this is the one thing.

Oh praise Allah, you finally caved and made the Fall of Rome DLC.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Secret bears have been in for like 16 months now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hellemistic religion but somehow if you try to play with it you get beat up irl?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TheBlackRoija posted:

Well what does it say when you mouse over the confirm button with the title you want to revoke selected?
The Revoke option is greyed out, because he doesn't have any titles that can be revoked. When I go to the title itself, I get this.

quote:

I've also seen cases where a title cannot be revoked until 'x' date (without a truce) but I am not sure exactly what causes that.
Yeah, that also happened with Castilian Turov. I think it's 5 years after the current holder usurped it, or something similar.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I...kind of want to hear this Pope's story.

Like how does that happen?

remember this guy?

I was playing my Krum Dulo start and I saw Innocentius II had just been elected (august 823)

and...well..

is he programmed to always appear? i.e. are Peasant Leaders more likely to take the name of Innocentius upon inauguration?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

The Revoke option is greyed out, because he doesn't have any titles that can be revoked. When I go to the title itself, I get this.

Odd indeed, maybe it's a nomad thing? Haven't played them much.
I know the republic of Amalfi in the 867 start would live on for a while even after you took their land and created the duchy of Salerno because it was a separate title not actually attached to the duchy. I am pretty sure it was still revocable though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Dammit, I wish I had taken a screenshot of this before the fact, because the king of the Bedouin apparently just settled down for the kingdom of Mahra or something.

No Idea what the hell happened there, but I had a pop-up about it for some reason. Odd.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
Is there an easy way to convert to a heresy? Is it impossible if you are a crusader? Bunch of my vassals, court, council, immediate family are all Cathar and have been for a while. I'm in elective monarchy and I don't think the electors are going to choose a heretic, and if I revoke titles and give them to cathars then by the time I'm done they will all hate me too much to vote for my guy anyway. Might have to just change to ultimogeniture.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eustachy posted:

Is there an easy way to convert to a heresy? Is it impossible if you are a crusader? Bunch of my vassals, court, council, immediate family are all Cathar and have been for a while. I'm in elective monarchy and I don't think the electors are going to choose a heretic, and if I revoke titles and give them to cathars then by the time I'm done they will all hate me too much to vote for my guy anyway. Might have to just change to ultimogeniture.

I think you can adopt the religion of your capital province if you have Rajas of India. Revoke such a county and make it your capital, that should allow you to convert to Cathar.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elective monarchy sucks. Don't use it. Gavel kind is better.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Larry Parrish posted:

Elective monarchy sucks. Don't use it. Gavel kind is better.

If it's full agnatic, it can work. But where it becomes too drat easy is modded in enatic elective monarchy.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 4, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Elective owns, elective forever. Though it's far too easy for an elective monarchy to become something else. The HRE basically never stays elective for very long in any game I've played.

So I have a holy order that successfully Great Holy War'd for two kingdoms (Sweden and Saxony). The Chosen of Perkunas now have vast swathes of land. The grand master or whatever of the order has the ambition to Become King of Sweden, which technically he is perfectly able to do given he literally controls all of it. Will he ever? Will those lands ever "settle" into an actual kingdom, or are they just going to stay easy pickings for Christian re-conquest, since the holy order can't take advantage of the realm levies like a feudal lord could?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drone posted:

Elective owns, elective forever

That used to be the case, but didnt they changed it to always try to gently caress the player, by having the electors intentionally vote against whoever you want as a successor? So you appoint that genius strong son and they vote for a distant imbecile cousin etc.

Or that is only true for the tribals elective gavelkind? I havent used regular elective lately.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yes the AI is actively trying to screw you :tinfoil:
There was a change, don't remember what it was to entail but I think it was in style with making the electors not always vote exactly like you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Yes the AI is actively trying to screw you :tinfoil:
There was a change, don't remember what it was to entail but I think it was in style with making the electors not always vote exactly like you.

Well, in my experience with tribal elective-gavelkind, that really seemed to be the only reasoning: they would vote for anyone other than the one you appointed, no matter how perfect he was. I often had distant kinsman being elected that had terrible stats, low prestige, no lands, no good relations with the electors, nothing.

I can think of no reason anybody would vote for a guy like that except "gently caress you, player", but maybe there is some hidden complex mechanics behind it, I dont know.

EDIT: in fact, I even experimented with this a bit, by choosing the same fucker they were voting on to see if they would vote for someone else, and it usually was exactly what it happened: they immediately changed their vote to some other fucker (unfortunately not the one I really wanted). Its been a while, so maybe it was changed later.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 4, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Wow so my first time playing since 2014, used the Steam sale to catch up on DLC, and I've forgotten everything. Two questions I'm having problems with:

1) Isn't there a map mode to showed just your realm? As in your realm territory was colored for some reason and everything else was dark grey. I forgot what it actually showed, but I remember using it to see what was in my Realm specifically when I was spread out or had isolated pockets, especially in areas like Europe where the borders and colors blend pretty heavily sometimes.

2) The direct vassal map mode shows the first level vassals below the realm owner correct? Wasn't there a map mode to show the next level up from a selected county and all territory under their control?

Also on an unrelated note, how are the major mods doing these days? CK2 Plus, Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, and I saw on the forums there is even a Warhammer out now?

Eustachy
May 7, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, in my experience with tribal elective-gavelkind, that really seemed to be the only reasoning: they would vote for anyone other than the one you appointed, no matter how perfect he was. I often had distant kinsman being elected that had terrible stats, low prestige, no lands, no good relations with the electors, nothing.

I can think of no reason anybody would vote for a guy like that except "gently caress you, player", but maybe there is some hidden complex mechanics behind it, I dont know.

EDIT: in fact, I even experimented with this a bit, by choosing the same fucker they were voting on to see if they would vote for someone else, and it usually was exactly what it happened: they immediately changed their vote to some other fucker (unfortunately not the one I really wanted). Its been a while, so maybe it was changed later.
I had trouble with it one time causing me to get frustrated and go on a North Korean authoritarian rampage. Every duke who wouldn't vote for my guy I excommunicated, put him in the oubliette and took his duchy title, which worked until a little while later another duke would defect, apparently not noticing what happened to those who defied my iron fisted rule. Then I started taking titles from whoever fought me in rebellions, and gave them to friends, who would also eventually come to hate me. By the time I finally died at age 79 this had been going on for 20 years, I had most of the elector titles, and was loathed by everyone. The next ruler however had a pretty easy go of things after having so much to give away. After that I learned that diplomacy of the heir seemed to be the most important thing, as well as the opinion of your vassals, once I started taking care of that I got my income to double and haven't had a lot of problems picking the heir.

Finally became Cathar and it seems I can revoke titles of filthy heathens with no repercussions. This seems very broken, yet awesome. Shouldn't it at least make co-religious vassals mad? Nevermind. I'm going to see if I can exile the Pope to Malta, and keep him vassalized.

edit

nessin posted:

Wow so my first time playing since 2014, used the Steam sale to catch up on DLC, and I've forgotten everything. Two questions I'm having problems with:

1) Isn't there a map mode to showed just your realm? As in your realm territory was colored for some reason and everything else was dark grey. I forgot what it actually showed, but I remember using it to see what was in my Realm specifically when I was spread out or had isolated pockets, especially in areas like Europe where the borders and colors blend pretty heavily sometimes.

2) The direct vassal map mode shows the first level vassals below the realm owner correct? Wasn't there a map mode to show the next level up from a selected county and all territory under their control?

Also on an unrelated note, how are the major mods doing these days? CK2 Plus, Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, and I saw on the forums there is even a Warhammer out now?

You can do those with diplomatic mode. Click on one of your counties and it will show you and your vassals in green, sub vassals in dark green, people you can go to war with in yellow, enemies in red, allies in blue, everything else grey. Click on anybody else's land to see those relationships for them.

Eustachy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 4, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eustachy posted:

Finally became Cathar and it seems I can revoke titles of filthy heathens with no repercussions. This seems very broken, yet awesome. Shouldn't it at least make co-religious vassals mad?

It really should, along with revoking non-government titles when you're allowed to. That one seems to work properly for nomads at least, you can revoke tribal titles without your nomadic vassals caring, but your other ones will get pissed.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This is probably a weird question, but are there any mods that make the eight century start turn out more historical? Like not exactly the 1066 scenario when it gets there but SOME of the same actors would be cool especially if they weren't a weird patch quilt of nonsense

Also am I remembering wrong or didn't the HRE used to have special mechanics, is it just an elective empire?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Also am I remembering wrong or didn't the HRE used to have special mechanics, is it just an elective empire?
CK2+ (used to?) have an extra law for the HRE which basically just made it harder to shake off elective monarchy, iirc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Darth Windu posted:

This is probably a weird question, but are there any mods that make the eight century start turn out more historical? Like not exactly the 1066 scenario when it gets there but SOME of the same actors would be cool especially if they weren't a weird patch quilt of nonsense

I'd really just like a mod that makes it more likely that the Karling empire breaks up and doesn't instead go on to be a superpower for centuries on end.

Also that French culture doesn't cover Europe from Brest to Budapest / that foreign-culture landholders are more likely to convert to their local cultures.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drone posted:

I'd really just like a mod that makes it more likely that the Karling empire breaks up and doesn't instead go on to be a superpower for centuries on end.

In most my recent games the Karling blob always explodes by itself in less then a century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You'd think that elective would be inherently harder than other succession laws to change because it's the king asking the electors to give up their votes and their shot at the throne. In the other cases it's the king asking you to accept how his dynasty handles inheritance, which is something electors of the realm would be less likely to care about unless they are in the same dynasty as the king.

• Locked thread