Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That mangaka has a hosed up brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...so it's animes trying to institute Japanese literal fascism over American crypto-fascism.

Does the author not see the irony here?
:commissar:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what in the gently caress :stare:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

what in the gently caress :stare:
shhhhhhhhhh

ANIME IS GOD GOD IS ANIME :anime:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world still reading this lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

TheFallenEvincar posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

Baby's First Political Theory

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've never read anything by this guy, but none of these pages really make me want to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

I've never read anything by this guy, but none of these pages really make me want to.
Suicide Island is genuinely great and an interesting idea even if the setup is terrible(Japan is sick of suicidal people so they send repeat offenders to an isolated island to do whatever so they can avoid wasting medical staff and money on people who don't want to live, but that's just the setup, it's more about people learning to survive on an abandoned island). That thing though...that looks like poo poo garbage and

DoubleDonut posted:

Baby's First Political Theory

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is keyman a monthly release or just translated whenever?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Captain Invictus posted:

Suicide Island is genuinely great and an interesting idea even if the setup is terrible(Japan is sick of suicidal people so they send repeat offenders to an isolated island to do whatever so they can avoid wasting medical staff and money on people who don't want to live, but that's just the setup, it's more about people learning to survive on an abandoned island). That thing though...that looks like poo poo garbage and

Yeah, seconding on Suicide Island being really interesting since it focuses on the survival aspect and it doesn't talk out of its rear end as much compared to Destroy Revolution.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I still laugh sometimes when I think of Holyland's narration style. Two dudes be fighting and suddenly the mangaka interjects with "Many people think (insert opinion about fighting). However, based on my own experiences, (insert different opinion)!" in a little narration box. This happens a buncha times throughout the manga.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I still laugh sometimes when I think of Holyland's narration style. Two dudes be fighting and suddenly the mangaka interjects with "Many people think (insert opinion about fighting). However, based on my own experiences, (insert different opinion)!" in a little narration box. This happens a buncha times throughout the manga.
Yeah, he does that with Suicide Island too, I like that little eccentricity. I can't remember if he does it for Destroy and Revolution though? It's all too blurry now. It'd be weird if he did, "Many people think overthrowing the imperialistic forces of the United States may be difficult. However, based on my experiences :jihad::nyoron:!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bad Seafood posted:

His other stuff is awesome and to be fair to D&R the "god" character here is definitely the villain who is constantly trying to sway the more rational main character to his side. I didn't take it from the reading that we are supposed to be identifying with or supporting the ideas of the god character (Yuuki) at all.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, he does that with Suicide Island too, I like that little eccentricity. I can't remember if he does it for Destroy and Revolution though? It's all too blurry now. It'd be weird if he did, "Many people think overthrowing the imperialistic forces of the United States may be difficult. However, based on my experiences :jihad::nyoron:!"

He doesn't do it with D&R probably because it's not a subject he could research and interject much on. I enjoyed it in Holyland and Suicide Island too, it's kind of like "Here's fighting or survival tips 101"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

That Works posted:

His other stuff is awesome and to be fair to D&R the "god" character here is definitely the villain who is constantly trying to sway the more rational main character to his side. I didn't take it from the reading that we are supposed to be identifying with or supporting the ideas of the god character (Yuuki) at all.

Yeah, the latest chapters have leaned pretty hard on him turning into a Griffith/Femto-like character. Although in my opinion he comes off more as the creepy kid from Chronicle with a messianic complex.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Dorohedoro chapter. No more Nikaido baps, rip

En is really something else, huh. That Devil's bet is, too. Chidaruma's plan must be to get rid of the other devils and become the ultimate power in the world, since there'll be no others who can match his strength.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bro Dad posted:

Yeah, the latest chapters have leaned pretty hard on him turning into a Griffith/Femto-like character. Although in my opinion he comes off more as the creepy kid from Chronicle with a messianic complex.

It's kind of one of the good things to me in the series, the whole point that the more naive MC with powers is initially swayed by Yuuki but then has to consider what his own definition of morality is and what is the "right" way to protect that. Honestly it's kinda thematic for all of this guys stories.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

I want those shirts, and I want 'em bad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i must discipline myself so that i may not stray...must wait for dorohedoro to finish...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Ah! I thought it looked familiar!

if you like 51 and also mignolas work you should check out jabberwocky

same artist but even more mignola as heck, and with dinosaurs

its super cool

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

That Works posted:

It's kind of one of the good things to me in the series, the whole point that the more naive MC with powers is initially swayed by Yuuki but then has to consider what his own definition of morality is and what is the "right" way to protect that. Honestly it's kinda thematic for all of this guys stories.

One of the little things I liked about Holyland is how the Yuuki-like badass fighter guy is slowly revealed over the course of the series to be an even more hosed up loser than the MC. The author really likes his slow burn character development it seems.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

En is really something else, huh. That Devil's bet is, too. Chidaruma's plan must be to get rid of the other devils and become the ultimate power in the world, since there'll be no others who can match his strength.

I'm happy poo poo actually happened this chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

To be fair to Destroy and Revolution it's not like he's being portrayed as the good guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

To be fair to Destroy and Revolution it's not like he's being portrayed as the good guy.

Yeah but I imagine it's the sort of thing where "This guy is correct but I disagree with his methods," so the dumb Baby's First Political Theory stuff previously mentioned is still true.

The key issue with that sort of politics is that it's really obvious people with those views are starting from an initial opinion (in this case "I dislike the US and like (my rose-tinted view of) past Japan") and then look up facts to support that. So you end up with a bunch of accurate criticisms of the US, but, because these facts are actively sought out to support a particular world-view, they don't understand the big picture (that these issues are more a result of a complex combination of economic system, history, culture, etc and certainly not unique to the US).

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here. In the US you see something along the lines of "the US is great and other countries are dumb and/or evil", but in other countries like Japan you instead see "Japan used to be great but the Evil Empire ruined them!" It's predicated on the existence of a more powerful Other, while in the US there obviously aren't any other countries that are more powerful and exert a ton of control and pressure so you don't have this sort of world-view.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but I imagine it's the sort of thing where "This guy is correct but I disagree with his methods," so the dumb Baby's First Political Theory stuff previously mentioned is still true.

The key issue with that sort of politics is that it's really obvious people with those views are starting from an initial opinion (in this case "I dislike the US and like (my rose-tinted view of) past Japan") and then look up facts to support that. So you end up with a bunch of accurate criticisms of the US, but, because these facts are actively sought out to support a particular world-view, they don't understand the big picture (that these issues are more a result of a complex combination of economic system, history, culture, etc and certainly not unique to the US).

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here. In the US you see something along the lines of "the US is great and other countries are dumb and/or evil", but in other countries like Japan you instead see "Japan used to be great but the Evil Empire ruined them!" It's predicated on the existence of a more powerful Other, while in the US there obviously aren't any other countries that are more powerful and exert a ton of control and pressure so you don't have this sort of world-view.

Looks around room in US. Finds "made in China" written on literally everything :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this seems pretty accurate.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Captain Invictus posted:

I doubt thats his plan, since he already is the ultimate power as far as we know. He made the other devils because he was bored, he could probably strip their power away as easily as he did with Asu. I can't tell where he might be going with this, maybe combine the human and magic user world so they have more conflicts and hes less bored?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ytlaya posted:

Eh. America used to be great until the gay heathen atheist feminist Muslim pinko communist hippie Jews took over and ruined everything. That's pretty much the American equivalent of the "USA - evil empire" of weaker powers.

The only difference is in asserting a non state actor having subverted the original greatness of the state, as there is no state actor with the power to do so.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kyou-o-Aruku

cool slice of life about a middle aged man who takes walks everyday

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, Donald Trump says America is poo poo but you (yes, you!) can make it great it again by driving out all the poors and non-whites which is basically what you're talking about. The hostility is turned inwards but it's still a set up a bogeyman sort of situation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, Donald Trump says America is poo poo but you (yes, you!) can make it great it again by driving out all the poors and non-whites which is basically what you're talking about. The hostility is turned inwards but it's still a set up a bogeyman sort of situation.

Parasites aren't the same as overlords. It's a difference in execution that speaks wildly to the power dynamic at work. Nobody who says poors and browns are terrible really thinks that the poors and the browns are their equals, or God forbid their superiors, or that they have anywhere near the same power. They just think they will slowly drain everything good and pure from their society. Whereas with America loving with the rest of the world, nobody even really pretends that we give a poo poo what they say or do and they assume we are some sort of retarded bully just smashing anything we bump into as we bumble around murdering the world. People might think they are better, but they don't think they are stronger.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
whenever i see a manga where the author is blaming the US for something i just assume they're either dumb or a chinese sympathizer

china's the one trying to steal your islands and territory not us, guys

Relin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here.

It actually does exist in the US; it just takes the form of transferred loyalty to Russia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Exercu posted:

Eh. America used to be great until the gay heathen atheist feminist Muslim pinko communist hippie Jews took over and ruined everything. That's pretty much the American equivalent of the "USA - evil empire" of weaker powers.

The only difference is in asserting a non state actor having subverted the original greatness of the state, as there is no state actor with the power to do so.

Oh, it's absolutely the same sort of thing at its core, just a different "flavor" of it. Japan also turns their right-wing aggression inwards, but more in the form of politicians being corrupt and useless rather some big conspiracy ala "Obama is secretly trying to change America into a gay Muslim country!"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Long ago people here said to read I am a Hero, and even went so far as to not spoil anything.

And now when I actually get into it has knock up an underage girl for zombie hivemind for alien overlords

What the actual gently caress

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Annointed posted:

Long ago people here said to read I am a Hero, and even went so far as to not spoil anything.

And now when I actually get into it has knock up an underage girl for zombie hivemind for alien overlords

What the actual gently caress

That hadn't happened yet, so we didn't know either. I don't think anyone was expecting bizarre zombie-amalgamation/centipede things to start happening. Its been getting really weird.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't hate the direction it's taken, certainly a more plausible idea for the zombie apocalypse than most series about that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I just binged all the currently released chapters of Dungeon Meshi. Holy poo poo Senshi is basically my spirit twin and this manga is amazing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Dungeon Meshi is real good. Not holy balls amazing, like let's say OPM, but reaaaaaaallllll good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

HenryEx posted:

Dungeon Meshi is real good. Not holy balls amazing, like let's say OPM, but reaaaaaaallllll good.

I dunno, the Monster Tidbits 2 Omake was pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

That mangaka has a hosed up brain.

He's old friends with Kentaro Miura. When they were young they would do these manga camp things where they would sit around brainstorm and draw manga in probably tank tops and underwear in some ratty apartment with no a/c but who knows just speculating. Got this from some little comic Miura or darkhorse put at the end of a berserk volume. In the same comic or maybe a different one he also said beserk was at least originally supposed to be a combo of rose of versailles and fist of the north star. good choices.