Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It gladdens my heart to see so eighteen new posts since I last checked, usually it is only one or two. Looks like I jumped back in right when a bunch of other people were thinking about it. Pretty cool.

Also, for those who sub, if you've got premium and enough TP (nearly 3k), is there any benefit outside of fast travel to sub? I ask because I noticed that a local Gamestop has 60 day LOTRO time cards for, like, 8 bucks. I am tempted to pick a couple up, but I don't know if there really is any reason for me to do so now as I am unlikely to visit every zone and do quests (I have too many quests in Lone Lands and Bree as it is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You don't need a sub to fast travel, or was that just a thing for accounts/characters created before the game went F2P?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Yeah, premiums get fast travel by stable horses too. Do you mean mithril coins?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Titus82 posted:

It gladdens my heart to see so eighteen new posts since I last checked, usually it is only one or two. Looks like I jumped back in right when a bunch of other people were thinking about it. Pretty cool.

Also, for those who sub, if you've got premium and enough TP (nearly 3k), is there any benefit outside of fast travel to sub? I ask because I noticed that a local Gamestop has 60 day LOTRO time cards for, like, 8 bucks. I am tempted to pick a couple up, but I don't know if there really is any reason for me to do so now as I am unlikely to visit every zone and do quests (I have too many quests in Lone Lands and Bree as it is.)

If you're in America I'll pay you + a tip in either real bucks, real gold, or a combo of the two for some of those subscription cards.

edit I mean America only because I don't think the Euro codes work in America, I don't need the card just the numbers off it. Gonna check my local Gamestop but I swear they got rid of them like four years ago.

Also if you visit the first house on your right after leaving the kinhall you'll see a Gondorian Workbench you can use now thanks to Nazgun trading me it for a nice morale essence, enjoy!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried to play this game again but the ui scales up terribly on my super-wide screen and I had to click on the top of buttons to make them work.Also loading screens make a loud whining sound for some reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Started playing again in ernest last night. It looks like my current set of LIs I have leveling each may have a desired skill for my 1st age halberd (including the 2nd age lvl 100 halberd I never finished working on when I hit 100 a year or so ago) so that'll be nice once I get them all to 30 so I can deconstruct them for their legacies then burn a bunch of marks for scrolls to max their tiers before imbuing the LI.

Came across a Roving Threat and a Warband in the first town you go to in Central Gondor. Warband required killing the guards first, so that took a little while. The Roving Threat was some 540k hp arch-nemesis troll who I soloed by riding in a circle for probably 10 minutes while yelling at it. I guess when you have a quest to kill the threats it's worth it? The only drop it gave on its own was a 500 rep token. Saw a lot of people in glff forming groups for Sambrog(still?) and Skraids which was nice.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Yup, people still farm Sambrog for Marks and Medallion. There also are open raids for Thorog on a daily basis which is nice because there's a lot of people moving about.

Yeah the quest reward token for roving threat can be thraded in for lvl 100 first age weapons and other stuff. I also see group forming for that in the /world channel pretty regulary.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

I tried to play this game again but the ui scales up terribly on my super-wide screen and I had to click on the top of buttons to make them work.Also loading screens make a loud whining sound for some reason.

There was some kind of memory leak bug or some other thing I don't fully understand added in Minas Tirith where people running high or ultra high had way too much lag and long load screens compared to people even with bad computers running on medium, they fixed it for most PC hardware about a month ago but it's possible you've still got it, test it out on other settings. As far as your first problem goes: Stop buying nerd gadgets that make you blind

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

Yeah, premiums get fast travel by stable horses too. Do you mean mithril coins?

It's only characters made while you are a VIP. My Captain, which was made when I was a VIP, has access to fast travel. My Warden, that I made a month ago while I was just premium, does not. I assume if I VIP up again, all my characters will have it again.

It's dumb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It can be worth doing a month of VIP for that and for crafter guild rep power leveling. When I worked on my Warden's farming stuff I had him build up a bunch of rep items over a month or so and once I went VIP to unlock a couple things I had him dump all of it in to his crafting guild to max rep with them so I wouldn't have to unlock it with TP (which is per guild/character or something dumb like that), I did the same for my Captain's tailor rep and my Champ's weaponsmithing to get them all up to the Westemnet rep level.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Enjoying the game so far, settled on a Bearman and am level 18 currently. Can someone toss Brigitia an invite if you see me on? I'm playing a lot currently at weird times (between semesters at school atm).

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

Could someone be a holiday angel and help me get Steely Dawn? I've had difficulty merging my LOTRO with Steam, and I really want the $1 Evendim/Armor/500TP from G2A. I'd be willing to exchange something in exchange for a Key that ISN'T for Steam if that's what it takes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Came across a Roving Threat and a Warband in the first town you go to in Central Gondor. Warband required killing the guards first, so that took a little while. The Roving Threat was some 540k hp arch-nemesis troll who I soloed by riding in a circle for probably 10 minutes while yelling at it. I guess when you have a quest to kill the threats it's worth it? The only drop it gave on its own was a 500 rep token. Saw a lot of people in glff forming groups for Sambrog(still?) and Skraids which was nice.

I have a lot of these quests lying around and I feel that it'd be fun to take on some of the Roving Threats, people could come together for this (and Tarlang's Crown...).

Thespis posted:

Could someone be a holiday angel and help me get Steely Dawn? I've had difficulty merging my LOTRO with Steam, and I really want the $1 Evendim/Armor/500TP from G2A. I'd be willing to exchange something in exchange for a Key that ISN'T for Steam if that's what it takes.

I don't get the problem, so you don't want it bought through steam or yes? If so I can do that.

Or is it you want it via another platform but can't get it yourself?

Either way I can spare a buck.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't get the problem, so you don't want it bought through steam or yes? If so I can do that.

Or is it you want it via another platform but can't get it yourself?

Either way I can spare a buck.

If you can get a regular old Turbine Key through a G2A/Steam purchase, then yeah. I can't get Steely Dawn unless I use LOTRO through Steam which I don't want to do.

It'd be really appreciated!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thespis posted:

If you can get a regular old Turbine Key through a G2A/Steam purchase, then yeah. I can't get Steely Dawn unless I use LOTRO through Steam which I don't want to do.

It'd be really appreciated!

You can buy Steely Dawn through Steam and use the code in your regular non-Steam LOTRO login (in fact, I think the only way you can get Steely Dawn is through Steam). I've done it and other posters have done it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You can buy Steely Dawn through Steam and use the code in your regular non-Steam LOTRO login (in fact, I think the only way you can get Steely Dawn is through Steam). I've done it and other posters have done it.

Yeah pretty sure that's what I did.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Steam just denied me pretty hard: "Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack' which requires ownership of 'The Lord of the Rings Online'. Please correct the error and try again."

Maybe if I begin to download the game and pause it'll give me ownership?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thespis posted:

Steam just denied me pretty hard: "Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack' which requires ownership of 'The Lord of the Rings Online'. Please correct the error and try again."

Maybe if I begin to download the game and pause it'll give me ownership?

Yeah. Just add it to your library, you don't have to download it.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

Stopped being lazy and figured it out. Thanks for the patience!

Now I look like a noob who's willing to spend money!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Took about two weeks, but I've finally finished everything Bree-land has to offer in my super-slow and thorough playthrough. Honestly, Archet, Combe, and Staddle are the high points, story wise, here. You feel invested in the fate of Archet from the Human/Hobbit opening, and it rolls right into the problems Combe and Staddle are having. I enjoyed the quest where you try to help a mother stop her son from becoming a brigand, though I felt they left a lot of ground uncovered there. Overall though, the theme of otherwise good people being threatened or coerced into cooperating with the bandits (the epic quest in Combe, Adso with the inn he's building) is interesting and a definite step up in maturity, if not in character, from the Shire. I did recapture a little bit of that mixture of sinister forces and innocent naivety colliding with the 'turtle soup' quest line in Bree, the finale made me laugh out loud. Lots of dumb filler quests to get boar flanks and bear asses at points though, which I'm sure are a sign of things to come. Anyway, on to Lone-Lands!

The Frostfell event has been fun too! Wish more people let me throw rotten fruit at them at the theater for the deed though, everyone has it down pat at this point and don't fail unless they're doing so on purpose. Caught this little inside-joke backstage before a show started:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thespis posted:

Stopped being lazy and figured it out. Thanks for the patience!

Now I look like a noob who's willing to spend money!

Oh good! I fell asleep...

The Bramble posted:

Took about two weeks, but I've finally finished everything Bree-land has to offer in my super-slow and thorough playthrough. Honestly, Archet, Combe, and Staddle are the high points, story wise, here. You feel invested in the fate of Archet from the Human/Hobbit opening, and it rolls right into the problems Combe and Staddle are having. I enjoyed the quest where you try to help a mother stop her son from becoming a brigand, though I felt they left a lot of ground uncovered there. Overall though, the theme of otherwise good people being threatened or coerced into cooperating with the bandits (the epic quest in Combe, Adso with the inn he's building) is interesting and a definite step up in maturity, if not in character, from the Shire. I did recapture a little bit of that mixture of sinister forces and innocent naivety colliding with the 'turtle soup' quest line in Bree, the finale made me laugh out loud. Lots of dumb filler quests to get boar flanks and bear asses at points though, which I'm sure are a sign of things to come. Anyway, on to Lone-Lands!

The Frostfell event has been fun too! Wish more people let me throw rotten fruit at them at the theater for the deed though, everyone has it down pat at this point and don't fail unless they're doing so on purpose. Caught this little inside-joke backstage before a show started:

The Bramble posted:

Anyway, on to Lone-Lands!

Glad you liked Bree. I found it well done, but it certainly lacked the charm of the Shire for me or the exoticness of Ered Luin. Still it's a nice area.

The fetch quests, while frequent, I find relevant somehow. The people are going through actually dangerous times and only adventurers can properly supply them. The idea of being in a war really steps up after Moria and it provides good atmosphere.

The Lonelands are pretty good. Hope you like it.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Some of these quests in RoR are amazing - and downright hilarious. The way the quest chain with the "glowers" ends had me laughing harder than I have in a game in a while.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The laptop cooling pad arrived. And it works. CPU temperature is down to low 80s instead of 90°C+. Still lots of fan spinning, but the computer isn't hot to the touch anymore, and it cools down to normal temperatures immediately after quitting LOTRO. Which means: I can play. :)

The game is still as amazing as it was on launch. The setting, the details, the crafting, the quests — it all came flooding back within the first two hours of playing. So good. Also, I saw lots of other players around, which was a very pleasant surprise. I think I will stay away from all the XP boosting stuff though, and take it slow this time. It was a race to level 50 years ago, because the servers had just opened and whatnot. Also, I had forgotten that making pipe-weed and muffins yields XP too. That was a nice surprise.

Inventory questions:

• My vault has lots of chests, which is nice to separate stuff, but between all of those chests, there are only 30 slots? Do I need to buy extra slots with Turbine points?

• When I open my inventory, 3 bags pop up. How can I unlock the other 3 bags? I think I remember those bags were quest rewards back in the day... ? Is that still the case? Or am I thinking of another MMO here?

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 31, 2015

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Inventory questions:

• My vault has lots of chests, which is nice to separate stuff, but between all of those chests, there are only 30 slots? Do I need to buy extra slots with Turbine points?

• When I open my inventory, 3 bags pop up. How can I unlock the other 3 bags? I think I remember those bags were quest rewards back in the day... ? Is that still the case? Or am I thinking of another MMO here?

Those chests in your vault are just categories you can use to sort your stuff. You only have 30 slots, but can organize it over all those chests. To get more room, you can either pay gold (if you are a VIP), or Turbine Points.

You only have 3 bags because you're a free player. One of the ways they try to make the game so unpleasant you feel compelled to spend TP. You don't get more as a quest reward, you have to buy them.

One option you might consider if becoming a VIP, even just for one month. It will permanently unlock a lot of quality-of-life things on your character, like inventory space, even after it expires.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Oh, interesting. Thank you. I did sign up to pay monthly though. But I still only had 3 bags. Other VIP stuff (like opening mail in the middle of nowhere) worked just fine. Maybe I'll have all six bags when I log in today? I certainly hope so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The 6th bag is a buy-only thing but what I did was I bought it when I was VIP (thus had 5 bags) and it let me skip buying the 4th and 5th bag as a result. Cosmetic vault space might work the same way too.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jack's Flow posted:

Oh, interesting. Thank you. I did sign up to pay monthly though. But I still only had 3 bags. Other VIP stuff (like opening mail in the middle of nowhere) worked just fine. Maybe I'll have all six bags when I log in today? I certainly hope so.

The bag thing is a holdover from the pay-to-play days. Inventory limits aren't really tied to them anymore.

VIP probably gave you a bunch of bonus inventory slots, but put them all in your Bag 1. Click the edit button in your inventory and you can move the slots around and arrange your bags as you like. I think you should have around 75 inventory slots if you're VIP with no other inventory expansion purchases.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Also, I had forgotten that making pipe-weed and muffins yields XP too. That was a nice surprise.

XP from crafting was introduced about 3 years ago I think. You can literally level to 100 by never using a weapon, but it would take so much time that you'd burn out long before hitting the level cap. Out of curiosity I just looked on the LOTRO forums and someone leveled to 85 doing nothing but crafting, and it took 318 hours. Level 1-85 is over 21 million XP. Then 85-100 is another 25 million. You hit the halfway point for total experience when you're around level 87.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

XP from crafting was introduced about 3 years ago I think. You can literally level to 100 by never using a weapon, but it would take so much time that you'd burn out long before hitting the level cap. Out of curiosity I just looked on the LOTRO forums and someone leveled to 85 doing nothing but crafting, and it took 318 hours. Level 1-85 is over 21 million XP. Then 85-100 is another 25 million. You hit the halfway point for total experience when you're around level 87.

My Warden went from level 10 or so to the mid 30s via farming when I decided to max it out back during RoR. He also had kindred with the iron garrison (both factions) before level 15 because of all the extra rep items my captain had. Being able to immediately go and get the good faction mount goat as soon as you can access Moria is wonderful.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I have a Warden as well that's a Westemnet Jeweller and barely did any quests, she's level 24. I'd guess that leveling with crafting slows down dramatically after level 40 or so.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
How often do Turbine points go on sale? Should I grab some now, even though I don't need them? Do you high level guys use them often?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack's Flow posted:

How often do Turbine points go on sale? Should I grab some now, even though I don't need them? Do you high level guys use them often?

Rule number one: Buy what you need only when you need it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wouldn't mind a quest pack sale for East Gondor but I'll probably just pay the TP cost once I get to it in the next day or two. Going to need to grab someone to go run the post-HD battles and get the gold-plat credit for the 1-2 man stages too.

Still haven't done all the 12 man objectives for HD and I don't think I've seen any groups form for it lately either.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

extra stout posted:

If you're in America I'll pay you + a tip in either real bucks, real gold, or a combo of the two for some of those subscription cards.

edit I mean America only because I don't think the Euro codes work in America, I don't need the card just the numbers off it. Gonna check my local Gamestop but I swear they got rid of them like four years ago.

Also if you visit the first house on your right after leaving the kinhall you'll see a Gondorian Workbench you can use now thanks to Nazgun trading me it for a nice morale essence, enjoy!

Sorry, I finally went back and they only had one. I'll keep an eye out on some other stores to see if they have them in.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Quick question.... I'm slowly working my way back into the game, just hit level 50 on my warden..

Are the only expansions I need when I get further along the ROR and HD? ($5 and $40 atm as far as I can google)

Snip from Turbine.com
code:
Game Version History
Shadows of Angmar™ Pre-order
Shadows of Angmar™ Trial
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest
Shadows of Angmar™ Open Beta
Lord of the Rings Online™ Beta
Rise of Isengard™
Mithril Edition

Lars fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 4, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lars posted:

Quick question.... I'm slowly working my way back into the game, just hit level 50 on my warden..

Are the only expansions I need when I get further along the ROR and HD? ($5 and $40 atm as far as I can google)

Snip from Turbine.com
code:
Game Version History
Shadows of Angmar™ Pre-order
Shadows of Angmar™ Trial
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest
Shadows of Angmar™ Open Beta
Lord of the Rings Online™ Beta
Rise of Isengard™
Mithril Edition

Yeah - although I'm surprised HD is $40. I thought it was down to $20 now, or maybe it just goes on sale a lot. There might be a quest pack or two you're missing or something, but you'll definitely have unlocked zones to level through so you won't need it.

After HD content, there are no more and will be no more expansions, but the game is purely questpacks. Typically 800 points each, I think? There have been 3 so far I think, but I could be missing one or two.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Yeah, I currently run around North Downs, Angmar and Misty Mountains to finish up the Epics (at least to book 8 before Moria) and I'm missing Quest-packs for all of those.

Thanks for the answer though - I'll keep an eye out for when HD goes on sale.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Could've swore HD was $10 on the lotro site maybe a day or two ago. Considering the 4 pack of expansions goes on sale for $10 fairly often there's not much reason HD should still cost that much.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Anyone else seeing "Connection Failed: Server Full" when trying to login to Landroval? I tried Brandywine and got through fine, I just can't get onto Landy.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

ukrainius maximus posted:

Anyone else seeing "Connection Failed: Server Full" when trying to login to Landroval? I tried Brandywine and got through fine, I just can't get onto Landy.

Oh well.

Was on with 6 others last night (9 hours ago), and have no problem now..