Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

I just :yotj:ed at a local bank's helpdesk. I thought for sure I had managed to avoid helldesk work after 4 years doing infrastructure design, but I guess it's never too late to start over at the bottom! So far, the calls have been pretty mild and the work environment is nice, so I can't complain too much. Especially since they're paying way too much for me to reset people's passwords.

And SA isn't blocked (but the images are), so someone on the security team must be a goon.

Why did you move backwards in jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Moey posted:

Not a bad deal if you are getting paid more, since there is no where to go but up the ladder.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GreenNight posted:

Not a bad deal if you are getting paid more, since there is no where to go but up the ladder.

True, but I would look twice at someone in an interview who went from infrastructure to help desk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Hard to find sales engineering jobs in Buffalo, especially ones in security, and I was running out of unemployment. I tried to apply for networking engineer positions, but HR people saw sales on my resume and assumed I wouldn't be able to do the job and any hiring managers that saw my resume immediately pegged me as over qualified.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

Hard to find sales engineering jobs in Buffalo, especially ones in security, and I was running out of unemployment. I tried to apply for networking engineer positions, but HR people saw sales on my resume and assumed I wouldn't be able to do the job and any hiring managers that saw my resume immediately pegged me as over qualified.

Makes sense. You were involved with large scale camera systems right? I may need to pick your brain at some point from a storage perspective.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks guys. I'll give that stuff a shot. I'm on board with the GPO thing, but I'm only desktop support. I can get into the GPOs, and I'm sure they won't mind if I have someone look over what I'm doing. I'll also try the OCT. If these work like I think, this will save my team a lot of headaches going forward.

Swink posted:

Except you can only do it with ProPlus versions of Office these days.

The GPO for auto config of Outlook is in the Office GPO templates, it's called "Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP address"

I'm not super clear on your problem but you could also just use the Windows Easy Transfer function in Win7 to copy the profiles from the existing PC, and load them up on the re-imaged PC.

Basically an XP machine was generating hella tickets over the Christmas weekend, so my coworker reimaged it to 7. It was half done on his desk on Monday and he was off that day, so I finished it up and pushed it back out (which I've come to regret). Now it's back to generating hella tickets and my lead is pissed at me in particular since I'm the last dope to touch it (even though some of these errors just happen on their own). There is no backup of the old profiles and the new profiles are too busted to bother with.

The main points are AS400 and Chartmaxx. Chartmaxx in particular is a disease. I'm going to figure out where it keeps its configs so I can throw that into any GPO I come up with so I don't have to set up a scanning profile for everyone's profiles.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Moey posted:

True, but I would look twice at someone in an interview who went from infrastructure to help desk.

I had a job interview like that, I've been looking for sysadmin roles and one job that found me was a NOC tech paying way above what I was making. When I told them in the interview I liked learning new systems/continual learning they said nothing ever changes here so don't expect that. :v:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I had a job interview like that, I've been looking for sysadmin roles and one job that found me was a NOC tech paying way above what I was making. When I told them in the interview I liked learning new systems/continual learning they said nothing ever changes here so don't expect that. :v:

Well then, they won't be too surprised by people leaving who feel they are stagnating with them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Well then, they won't be too surprised by people leaving who feel they are stagnating with them.

If they are up front about it, there are plenty of IT people who would consider that paradise.

Particularly Windows admins.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Makes sense. You were involved with large scale camera systems right? I may need to pick your brain at some point from a storage perspective.

Yeah, feel free to PM me or whatever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RFC2324 posted:

If they are up front about it, there are plenty of IT people who would consider that paradise.

Yup, I have a coworker who doesn't believe in change, or updates.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, feel free to PM me or whatever.

Will do, thanks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

It's technically a contract job because the bank is going through a merger. Easier to explain that you took a contract that paid well enough than to explain a >6 month gap in your resume. Also, the hiring manager made it very clear he wanted to hire me because he knows I have experience that would be valuable to the bank, but that this is the only opening he could offer me right now. I don't expect to end up on the infrastructure team, but I could probably spin anything above level 1 support as career progression, or at least broadening my skill set.

Edit: Also, not having a degree hosed me. Stay in school, kids.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 3, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RFC2324 posted:

:iceburn:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
gently caress don't remind me.

Upgrading the company to win10 is our next project.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ilkhan posted:

gently caress don't remind me.

Upgrading the company to win10 is our next project.

Same.
We're still trying to get a handle on Microsoft discontinuing support for dot net 4, 4.5, and 4.51 as well as ending support for IE10 with ~3 weeks notice.
I can't imagine how terribly our "SURPRISE WINDOWS 10 AND MDM" push for everyone is gonna go.
Yes, I can. For starters, our version of Juniper doesn't work with M$ Edge browser.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same.
We're still trying to get a handle on Microsoft discontinuing support for dot net 4, 4.5, and 4.51 as well as ending support for IE10 with ~3 weeks notice.

What?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
How is it 3 weeks' notice? I don't even work in Windows administration directly, and I've known about support dropping for pre-IE11 versions for ~9 months now.

A cursory Googling finds articles from February 2015.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
We're still trying to get our devs to depreciate .NET 1.1 :shepicide:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Back to work after 2 weeks. Time to perform the ritual for myself.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

beepsandboops posted:

We're still trying to get our devs to depreciate .NET 1.1 :shepicide:

What.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Back to work after 2 weeks. Time to perform the ritual for myself.

Same here. Coffee and log files!

Swink posted:

Except you can only do it with ProPlus versions of Office these days.

Not to be a bitch, but I can't find any info on this (and I don't have a non Pro Plus to try with). Do you have a source?

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 4, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shared Computer Activation only works with ProPlus (Enterprise plans) of Office 365 so I would assume the other deployment goodness is the same.

This article only mentions ProPlus when talking about product deployment: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219422(v=office.15)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I don't know what I did to please Electronic Recycling Santa, but when I check the bin at work today I find a pristine Latitude E6520 with quad i7, Nvidia, full HD, SSD and 8 GB RAM, plus I pulled another SSD from an old Precision tower someone had thrown out.

Seriously, the laptop does not even have a scratch on it! I don't know who's throwing these out, but I'm thankful.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I can't give a source because the docs are atrocious but any product that isn't pro plus uses click to run for deployment which doesn't cater for /admin.

This is via my own experience prepping for a 2016 rollout. I want to be wrong about this. I really do.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I don't know what I did to please Electronic Recycling Santa, but when I check the bin at work today I find a pristine Latitude E6520 with quad i7, Nvidia, full HD, SSD and 8 GB RAM, plus I pulled another SSD from an old Precision tower someone had thrown out.

Seriously, the laptop does not even have a scratch on it! I don't know who's throwing these out, but I'm thankful.

Bloody hell! I guess someone didn't get the memo that you're supposed to be, you know, not spending money right now.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
T-minus one hour before I start this new position :ohdear:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

T-minus one hour before I start this new position :ohdear:

Don't worry. The crazy won't show until tomorrow.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Crowley posted:

Don't worry. The crazy won't show until tomorrow.

You probably won't have a login or computer. Good luck sir

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Virigoth posted:

You probably won't have a login or computer. Good luck sir

Oh man, this reminds me. I should have a workstation and phone today - only 2 weeks after I started!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My first thing here is a staff meeting in the auditorium. I've watched a 90 pound woman eat 7 complimentary donuts in the last ten minutes and now she's headed off in the direction of the bathroom.

Someone smells like a wet sheep.

There are two goons sitting in the back comparing tablet games and neither looks like they've ever made the acquaintance of a shower.

I think things are gonna work out entertainment-wise :unsmith:

Edit: I spoke too soon. A parade of obese women just filed in and shoved their way past me. The smell was tremendous and they each had no less than 4 donuts grasped in their claws.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

My first thing here is a staff meeting in the auditorium. I've watched a 90 pound woman eat 7 complimentary donuts in the last ten minutes and now she's headed off in the direction of the bathroom.

Someone smells like a wet sheep.

There are two goons sitting in the back comparing tablet games and neither looks like they've ever made the acquaintance of a shower.

I think things are gonna work out entertainment-wise :unsmith:

Are any of these people part of the IT team? If they are just users you can deal with it a big better. I remember at my last job a lady that was super big, never showered, and her desk was a mess. I went to swap her computer out and caused a cloud of flies to bombard the air and she yelled at me for "disturbing them". I decided enough with that bullshit the room stunk and told her to clean that poo poo up before I go on the floor again.

She eventually needed some operation that 300lb+ people need every so often and was out for several weeks. A professional cleaning company declared the rug unsalvageable and recarpeted the entire thing. That's how her computer got replaced.

Everyone else in IT talked about her like she was the plague, and she hated everyone in IT except for one guy who she was in love with and would try and get anyone else that went there fired if it wasn't him and would ask about him constantly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The larchesdanrew story continues. :magical:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A woman just loudly lost her mind because they didn't put out a sign-in sheet until after she sat down at the very back of the auditorium and she had to walk AAAAALLLLL the way back down and why don't we sign in electronically since it's the 21st century and OH MY GOD while I was writing this fat girl #3 just pulled out a literal porkchop from her purse and is eating it like a cookie what is this place.

Larchesdanrew is back, baby :stonk:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

A woman just loudly lost her mind because they didn't put out a sign-in sheet until after she sat down at the very back of the auditorium and she had to walk AAAAALLLLL the way back down and why don't we sign in electronically since it's the 21st century and OH MY GOD while I was writing this fat girl #3 just pulled out a literal porkchop from her purse and is eating it like a cookie what is this place.

:allears:

A porkchop would be nice right about now though

ask her if she'll share

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Renegret posted:

:allears:

A porkchop would be nice right about now though

ask her if she'll share

It wasn't in a sandwich bag or anything. It was just free floating in her purse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Is this the real life?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Okay, I'm starting to think you're actually just a talented writer and we're all in some sort of promotional ARG for your new novel coming out later this year.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Hey larches - correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't you turn down a different oppertunity for this school job? Regretting that yet?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

This can't be a real thing. It just can't. Please larchesdanrew, I will not even be made if you just admit it's all a farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
This is pretty standard fare corporate IT. I've seen people at my old company in entry level roles that would sit and eat all day every day. They were taller horizontally than vertically, and many had to use crutches because of weight or get gastric bypass done or have mobility scooters. 400 lbs was not unheard of.

Once every few months there was an oven test which results in around 1500 pizzas being made in an oven and their section would be the first in line every time to get two free pizzas, often not working for multiple hours waiting in line for the next batch.

• Locked thread