Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Trogdos! posted:

I find myself just staring at the upper panel. This man has been professionally drawing cartoons for over 40 years.

I read a bio that compared his work to famous cartoonists and I can only assume that the reviewer was either paid well or had their family held hostage.

I mean this:

quote:

Another Brooklyn boy. Born March 8, 1938. Graduated from Queens College 1961. Wrote and drew funny cards for Norcross. After dismissal for loudness and jocular attitude became a freelance gag cartoonist for the former "Mad Mag" guys who were then doing "Cracked". Moved on to doing cartoons for Playboy. Included in several "Best Of" Playboy anthologies. Fell in with the anti-Vietnam War folks and was actually elected delegate to the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago where, in spite of all the riots, was unable to get arrested. In 1971 moved to Israel, changed first name from Jerry to Yaakov, and in 1973 began drawing a daily editorial strip called Dry Bones. In 2013 the toon celebrated its 40th year in the Jerusalem Post. It has been reprinted or quoted by the NY Times, Time Mag, LA Times, CBS, AP, etc.
Forbes Mag said about Kirschen: "In the tradition of Nast, Herblock, and Mauldin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Trogdos! posted:

I find myself just staring at the upper panel. This man has been professionally drawing cartoons for over 40 years.
Yes Yakov, you are probably the best authority to condemn the media (which you are a part of) for turning a blind eye to excessive violence.

And of course it's not true, Palestinian attacks do get reported. Just perhaps every single stabbing incident in a far off country is not exactly frontpage news when bigger things happen all the time?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Starshark posted:

I read a bio that compared his work to famous cartoonists and I can only assume that the reviewer was either paid well or had their family held hostage.

I mean this:

"In the tradition of Nast, Herblock, and Mauldin." just means "he draws political cartoons".

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Nigel Farage is a skinbag filled to busting with dark beer dregs and fag-ends... how he can operate any heavy machinery (cars, planes, doors with handles that turn, sidewalks) at baffles me.

He's like our Boehner but less orange and weepy.

Isn't he not in charge of UKIP after their unspectacular showing after the elections? They couldn't find anyone weird-looking enough to take over?

His car had a recall for this specific issue, it has been noted.
http://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2016/01/farage-assassination-hoax-busted.html
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=F0E0D8B14EAE38C0802577C000465F45&freeText=Blank&tx=0.1092494
And apparently this happened in October?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 4, 2016

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

I love how he accuses "the media" of not reporting stuff while obviously leaving out Israel entirely. He could have at least done a "IDF keeping the peace" thing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jedit posted:

You could say it tanked. <dons sunglasses, plays The Who>

On the other hand, Bush Sr didn't lack for bad support himself. People ignored Dan Quayle in 1988 because they didn't know who he was, but by 1992 it was obvious that he was an illiterate idiot who made Bush Jr look statesmanlike. This hurt the elder Bush's campaign in the same way Sarah Palin hurt that of John McCain, with the bonus that Quayle already was one septuagenarian's faltering heartbeat away from the Oval Office. (Yes, I know Bush wasn't 70 in 1992, but he would have been by the end of his second term.)

But the far right absolutely loved Quayle. He may have been out of his depth, but he was a true believer, mainly there to reassure conservatives who saw Bush as a milquetoast moderate. Wow, another Palin similarity.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

While I agree with all of the above, there was some anger at the end of Gulf War I - GHWB was seen to have essentially left the job unfinished. Saddam was still there, after all, and all he seemed interested in doing was making the occasional speech.

And Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney wisely pointed out that if we had invaded Iraq, we'd be stuck in an open-ended occupation trying to hold together factions that hated each other. It's a shame we didn't have someone like that in power in 2003 to talk Bush 2 out of his invasion plan.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

He was the target of a negative campaign by the HW Bush camp in Bush's effort to lose his image of being a "wimp", and in the event Dukakis was unable to defend himself effectively and came off as an archetypal ivory-tower liberal.

For example, Dukakis was attacked for his position on prisoner pardons and furloughs while he was Governor. It was a personal, emotional appeal, but his responses were always just speaking in broad, general terms. During a debate, he was questioned about his opposition to the death penalty "even if it was your own wife that was raped and murdered" and he still engaged the topic purely academically.

It was soon Dukakis that was getting the image of a wimp, and he tried to return fire with a photo-op of him riding an Abrams tank, and the whole thing just made him look so ridiculous that it's always been regarded as the moment his campaign was sunk.

Also, on the shallow end, Dukakis was a short, funny-looking guy with an ethnic name, who hailed from one of the most liberal areas of the country. And yet, despite that, he was unable to articulate any sort of compelling or convincing case for liberal policies. He ran as a mushy moderate, and only started acting like an actual Democrat once the race was almost over and it was obvious he was going to lose. The spectacle of Democrats who are unable or unwilling to stand up for what they actually believe in goes way back.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

"In the tradition of Nast, Herblock, and Mauldin." just means "he draws political cartoons".

Still far too high praise of Kirschen. :colbert:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nenonen posted:

And of course it's not true, Palestinian attacks do get reported. Just perhaps every single stabbing incident in a far off country is not exactly frontpage news when bigger things happen all the time?

The insane thing is, Palestinian stabbings DO make frontpage news. Every time. Someone getting stabbed in a far-off country and not dying makes bigger headlines than dozens of civilians dying in a bombing in Yemen. What the gently caress more does Kirschen want.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

alnilam posted:

The insane thing is, Palestinian stabbings DO make frontpage news. Every time. Someone getting stabbed in a far-off country and not dying makes bigger headlines than dozens of civilians dying in a bombing in Yemen. What the gently caress more does Kirschen want.

Palestine to no longer exist. That's it really. He's just scrambling for an excuse for his hatred.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

alnilam posted:

e: also

prefect fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 4, 2016

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/29/uk-and-saudi-arabia-in-secret-deal-over-human-rights-council-place

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

alnilam posted:

Victimhood.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Trogdos! posted:

That fly-lady has some wonky breasts.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Starshark posted:

Forbes Mag said about Kirschen: "In the tradition of Nast, Herblock, and Mauldin."

Ahahahahaha

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cartoons?

Actually, prison overcrowding is a problem and...

Hillary's campaign is going fine and doesn't need Bill right now.

Christmas ain't over til I'm outta holly :420:

The elephant has gone to the mad place.

I can't believe it's still 2015 in America.

I'm afraid the puppet therapy isn't working, doctor.

Awkward craning of heads to see the tiny drone almost covered by word balloon. Truly one of the Great Masters of the art form.

See? Someone gets it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Awkward craning of heads to see the tiny drone almost covered by word balloon. Truly one of the Great Masters of the art form.

Nothing matters and you can't do anything about anything. Sounds good. I guess you'll be retiring now, Tood?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

My god do I hate this pretentious entitled line of thinking. Just because neither side want to start the Rall-volution does not make the two sides the same. And just because no one listens to your annoying rear end doesn't mean all form of protesting is useless. So if all this is useless, why is he making political cartoons?

But sure, since Hillary's a bit of a hawk I'm sure nothing would change between her and President Ted Cruz. Nope, no change in any way shape or form there, you're basically electing the same person.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

New Sutton

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rorus Raz posted:

Hillary's campaign is going fine and doesn't need Bill right now.
This isn't about the campaign. It seems like Varvel believes that Hillary will win her bid and so as the next president she can, in case of national emergency, bring Bill back to the stage eg. as her secretary of state or special envoy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nenonen posted:

This isn't about the campaign. It seems like Varvel believes that Hillary will win her bid and so as the next president she can, in case of national emergency, bring Bill back to the stage eg. as her secretary of state or special envoy.
Lester did a similar cartoon, which is more explicit in its meaning.

I haven't actually heard of Bill doing anything recently, but the holidays kept me detached from the news so I dunno.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Let's be realistic, though: If any of the Republican candidates had a Bill Clinton in their pocket they'd be making him do circus tricks all goddamn day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cpt.Americant posted:

My god do I hate this pretentious entitled line of thinking. Just because neither side want to start the Rall-volution does not make the two sides the same. And just because no one listens to your annoying rear end doesn't mean all form of protesting is useless. So if all this is useless, why is he making political cartoons?

But sure, since Hillary's a bit of a hawk I'm sure nothing would change between her and President Ted Cruz. Nope, no change in any way shape or form there, you're basically electing the same person.

Uh no man I'm pretty sure my life would be literally exactly the same under any given president.

Why yes I AM a white straight guy, how'd you know?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Those Palestinians just look so gosh-darned happy to be slaughtering israelis! Are Pollard's art skills so terrible he can't even draw his villians to look like bad guys?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Captain Bravo posted:

Those Palestinians just look so gosh-darned happy to be slaughtering israelis! Are Pollard's art skills so terrible he can't even draw his villians to look like bad guys?

Pollard?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Honestly if Yaakov Kirschen turned out to be Jonathan Pollard cartooning under a pen name it'd explain a lot

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

Lester did a similar cartoon, which is more explicit in its meaning.

I haven't actually heard of Bill doing anything recently, but the holidays kept me detached from the news so I dunno.

Bill seems mostly content to not even be on the radar these days. He also had heart surgery in 2010 so he's probably just hanging around being old these days. I mean the dude's almost 70 and was freaking president so if he wants to putter around and not really be doing anything I think he's earned it.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

A New Yorker cartoon by Benjamin Schwartz.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

cram me sideways posted:

Let's be realistic, though: If any of the Republican candidates had a Bill Clinton in their pocket they'd be making him do circus tricks all goddamn day.

They have to settle for dancing Reagan's corpse around like a marionette

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: COMIC SIGN :siren:

Yes that Anus is horrible
Dammit Allie, stop changing Stanis' script :argh:
Look out Vince Foster Bernie :stonk:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bill seems mostly content to not even be on the radar these days. He also had heart surgery in 2010 so he's probably just hanging around being old these days. I mean the dude's almost 70 and was freaking president so if he wants to putter around and not really be doing anything I think he's earned it.
He gave a speech at the 2012 convention for Obama, and it went over really well so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave another this year.

On the other hand, I think Hillary wants to stand on her own and not appear to be riding Bill's popularity, so maybe she'll just have Obama give a speech which wouldn't be a terrible idea.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

He gave a speech at the 2012 convention for Obama, and it went over really well so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave another this year.

On the other hand, I think Hillary wants to stand on her own and not appear to be riding Bill's popularity, so maybe she'll just have Obama give a speech which wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I don't think Hillary is ever going to escape that if for no other reason that the right will never, ever shut the gently caress up about it. We're going to see RWM comics come out about the fact that she's married to Bill until she dies or retires.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Spiffster posted:

Dammit Allie, stop changing Stanis' script :argh:
Look out Vince Foster Bernie :stonk:

Please note that the middle two Prick Cities are 2011 reruns.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mister Beeg posted:

A New Yorker cartoon by Benjamin Schwartz.

"Christ, what an rear end in a top hat"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

No Prickly City updates on Fiorina and Rubio? How entirely unsurprising.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jurgan posted:

But the far right absolutely loved Quayle. He may have been out of his depth, but he was a true believer, mainly there to reassure conservatives who saw Bush as a milquetoast moderate. Wow, another Palin similarity.

That's true, but the far right don't matter any more than the far left do because they'd each vote for their respective parties if Hitler stood for them against Jesus. What matters is the "thinking minority" in the middle who will change sides if they get worried enough.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think Hillary is ever going to escape that if for no other reason that the right will never, ever shut the gently caress up about it. We're going to see RWM comics come out about the fact that she's married to Bill until two weeks after she dies or retires.

Fixed to reflect drunk duck lag.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rorus Raz posted:

Cartoons?
I'm afraid the puppet therapy isn't working, doctor.

At the risk of becoming unpopular, I place the blame squarely on you, the viewer voter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Dumpin' ground.

I don't think I like the new management of Marble Slab.

but but but are his pants on the GROUND!?

Good lord, does that really need a label? May as well label Uncle Sam as "AMERICA", Monty, I don't think your target audience is smart enough to catch on!

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I keep posting Van Dam because I want people to loathe him as much as I do.

The title of this cartoon is listed as "Islam and Global Warming."

I don't post Kamensky a lot, he's usually kinda dull, but I will never pass up an "I LOOOOOOVE DEATH!"

I'm just going to pretend that disembodied head over there is his sidekick.

Repost of the Rall in color (because that really improves the art, donchaknow.)

I'm kinda sad to not see a new Allie update, I wanted to know if he was still committed to ALL STAR WARS ALL THE TIME.

• Locked thread