Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A jargogle posted:

(Also, was phantom hourglass really that bad? I played it and barely remember it although I'm not sure what that says about the game...)

Phantom Hourglass was okay but had some obnoxious mechanics (like the central Phantom temple). Spirit Tracks was abysmally awful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
LP was amazing, and I remember Windwaker being pretty fun. I had GameCube version, and I enjoy exploring and doing 100% completion, so I kinda liked that every island was it's own mini game. I actually didn't remember Gannondorf's characterization in this game, since it comes so late, and it's basically just those last lines, but I 100% remember the characterization of his face when I loving stabbed him in it. The change from teen into adult has done nothing to diminish how metal I think that ending is.

Maybe it was because I played OoT afterward a lot of newer Zeldas, but I thought it was alright. I think the world building is probably the biggest part to that game, since I don't super remember the characters actually saying all that much. Except Navi. gently caress.

I actually really liked Twilight Princess. I played it before OoT, and in retrospect I realize it's pretty similar except Midna is the new Navi. Honestly, that's fine, since I really liked her character. Learning new moves from the skeleton was great (supposedly he's the Link from OoT). My favorite thing to do was clear out all but one enemy in a crowd, then sheathe my sword and turn my back to the last guy. Turn around and mortal draw, and, since it was the last enemy, Link does that sick sword spin when he puts the sword back. Sword fighting in general felt really good and while Gannondorf sort of comes out of nowhere, 1v1 sword fight ending actually was pretty nice.

I'll agree that a lot of dungeon specific tools end up not being as good as they should've, but you'd be surprised what you can do if you try 'em out again. Ball and chain actually pretty good at clearing crowds. Spinner is fast in its opening seconds, so you hop off, hop back on repeatedly, or you can start a fight with a spinner charge and combo it into other stuff. Double hook shot came too late for me to experiment. Dominion rod is useless.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Congratulations on playing a video game DUMMY! :twisted:

But seriously great job on completing the game in under a year, it was a heck of a ride and you guys kept it entertaining the whole way through, even when stuck in mini game hell.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Hopefully you'll retain the knowledge of the Sex Tornado and learn how to use it for yourself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A jargogle posted:

(Also, was phantom hourglass really that bad? I played it and barely remember it although I'm not sure what that says about the game...)

It was okay but nothing spectactular, my only gripe with it is that the fastest you can go on a boat still isn't that fast, but I was still a wee tot when I played it so I'm ignoring a lot of flaws I'm sure. A lot of people are down on having to return to a main dungeon and run through it every so often but, considering how each new item lets you do it faster I was never bothered by it.

e: phonepost

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The king just disappears when children are about to get murdered.

Good dad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I always thought the bell was someone getting a text or notification of some kind.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As others have said before, but we just can't say enough.

Dank
Th-dank
Tha-danks for playing.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I always thought the bell was someone getting a text or notification of some kind.
Near the end there it sounded kind of like a glockenspiel or something.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

A jargogle posted:

I actually really loved it, for the same reason most people rather hated it. Doing repeated runs of a single temple where newly-gained tools let you solve the same challenges faster or more easily is... well, clearly not everyone's cup of tea. :v: I found it a really cool thing, though. I felt like I was progressing in a very different fashion than I've seen in other games.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Kuvo posted:

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Kuvo last night I had a dream about you getting a job at No Goblin Games and you made a funny video to announce it to the world and I watched the video and it was very funny.

I will send you the script to my brain's funny Kuvo fanfiction it wrote if you want to make the video for real

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

TieTuesday posted:

Congratulations!

thank you

Suspicious Dish posted:

Kuvo last night I had a dream about you getting a job at No Goblin Games and you made a funny video to announce it to the world and I watched the video and it was very funny.

I will send you the script to my brain's funny Kuvo fanfiction it wrote if you want to make the video for real

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/681632553325834241

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Now you can be the waifu that you always dreamed you'd be.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

But do you want the script to the funny video? I thought of it again and boy howdy did it crack me up, I tell ya.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I remember having a lot of fun with Phantom Hourglass, but gave up on Spirit Tracks because the only thing worse than basing a Zelda game around a train is literally there is nothing worse than that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My favourite thing that hasn't changed about Zelda games is that everyone gyrates in different poses while under a text box that always takes up the lower third of the screen. My 2nd favourite thing that hasn't changed about Zelda games is that every single chest forces the player to choose between getting a thing or not having to mash the a-button through yet another unnecessary tutorial box. My third favourite thing is that they completely abandoned the notion that Link could be a cool wandering adventurer solving problems in different exciting locations like he did in Majora's Mask.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Congrats on freeing everyone from this torment, Geop. Now I finally know what it was like for all of those Dark Souls fans watching you LP that game.

My vote on the bell thing was anytime anyone went away from their mic, in one of the recent episodes there were two bell dings in quick succession and suddenly Vicas and Geop were talking one-on-one. That's probably too sensible to be the answer, though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Given that turkey is tearing up the affirmation, does that mean you WILL reveal the secret?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I thought the bell might've started as a Zardoz reference, just because this LP motivated me to finally watch it. (I'd been meaning to for years. I was also inspired to reinstall Mirror's Edge!) There's a bell notification sound used in that film which has no obvious source the first few times it sounds.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Teledahn posted:

Given that turkey is tearing up the affirmation, does that mean you WILL reveal the secret?

Teledahn posted:

Given that turkey

Teledahn posted:

that turkey

:911:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Teledahn posted:

that turkey

Are you suggesting that that was a bald-faced lie?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Max Peck posted:

Are you suggesting that that was a bald-faced lie?

With Kuvo you can never tell.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So when is the Yakuza LP?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The bell was hooked to Geop and rang every time he thought of chicken.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RareAcumen posted:

The bell was hooked to Geop and rang every time he thought of chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikUulwG8yV4&t=13s

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The secret of the bell: after a recording session, Vicas drunkenly stumbles upon a bell behind his Rubik's Cube collection. The gang thinks it's the funniest thing they've ever heard (and knowing what we know about das ubernerds, they're not wrong). There's a funny discussion afterwards where Geop suggests Vicas rings the bell at random indeterminate times, in order to gently caress with the thread. Nobody is allowed to ever make reference to it.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Cool LP Geop. I stand by my earlier statement that this is my favorite Zelda game, though even in the HD version the game's last 1/3 remains hard to defend. So much is recycled content or just generally not up to par with the rest.

Also, I'm legitimately kinda sad you jumped into this game without playing OoT first because there's enough connection (as in, more than just visual reference) between the two that I think WW is better enjoyed as a sequel. Explaining the specifics would be pretty nerdy of me though so I'll leave you with that.

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 1, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Everybody gets free bloomin' onions to celebrate the end of the LP. Thanks, guys!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've read through the thread over the past few weeks and it has been a very interesting ride. Thank you for the LP, also for finishing it exactly by the time I happened to start reading the thread!!!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for a great LP, guys!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shame that the game wasn't better though.

Still this was an amazing LP. Par for the course for Geop though.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
ehh, for all the flaws we pointed out I still think this is a really good game, if not necessarily Geop's favorite kinda game. It's definitely a bit too much to do a total blind LP of, which is why it's probably for the best that we didn't stop off at every single island

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
I remember people bitching about this being celda back when it was in production, but it looks like they put together a reasonably fun, reasonably nice looking game. Good job LPing it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

amishjosh posted:

I remember people bitching about this being celda back when it was in production, but it looks like they put together a reasonably fun, reasonably nice looking game.

That's because those people are assholes.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

People were pissed because they had originally shown a really early teaser that looked more in line with the graphics that twilight princess ended up using. So when they found out it was gonna be cell shaded instead, a lot of people felt like they'd been mislead.

Windwaker still owns though.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

JahRoo posted:

People were pissed because they had originally shown a really early teaser that looked more in line with the graphics that twilight princess ended up using. So when they found out it was gonna be cell shaded instead, a lot of people felt like they'd been mislead.

Windwaker still owns though.

Yeah here's the loving amazing graphics people creamed their pants over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF9Utdu-L0

I'm so salty people looked at this lumpy terrible tech demo and were like "THESE ARE THE GRAPHICS I'VE DREAMED OF ALL MY LIFE, WHAT IS THIS CARTOON BULLSHIT". Windwaker is one of the most stylish beautiful games ever made and basically set the standard for a lot of stylized graphics in the future. People were mad bc they wanted more of crewcut Gannondorf i swear to frickin god

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That was never a game, that was a tech demo. Were they also mad that we never got Super Mario 128 (nothing but platform with 128 Marios running around) or Meowth's party?

Anyone who was upset about 'Celda' was an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread