Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Political figure respects local custom in house of worship. Truly this is the end of times.

When it's sexist bullshit, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Ikantski posted:

Here, have a picture of Wynne sitting quietly, head covered and segregated with the other women at the back of a mosque so she can show respect to Islam?

I thought they were still pretty against the gays? Unless it doesn't matter so long as she acts demure enough

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Islam is not some monolithic block with the exact same opinions on every issue, shocking I know

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ikantski posted:

Here, have a picture of Wynne sitting quietly, head covered and segregated with the other women at the back of a mosque so she can show respect to Islam?

Ikantski's journal: today I laid a sick burn on a woman who doesn't know I exist by acting like a sun media columnist! Go me!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ikantski's journal: today I laid a sick burn on a woman who doesn't know I exist by acting like a sun media columnist! Go me!

PS. Kafka called my burn sick :blush:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Slightly Toasted posted:

I thought they were still pretty against the gays? Unless it doesn't matter so long as she acts demure enough

Meet Irshad Manji, Canadian, Muslim, author of "The Trouble With Islam Today", and self-described "spikey-haired mouthy little lesbian".

Well worth a read, and a good reminder that all of Islam isn't the equivalent of a fundamental Christan church in Abbotsford full of angry old white people wanting to throw rocks at the gays until they quit moving and young antivaxxers trying to kill their own children. Pity she's not running for office.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait until you dumb fucks find out what most Muslims think about evolution. Or dogs.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
It's a mark of their backwardness that they've never produced a good recipe for braised spaniel.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Baudin posted:

Is this some form of subtle troll

Yes. :chord:

But seriously, some people absolutely believe this. They think the same about rights, too.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Hexigrammus posted:

It's a mark of their backwardness that they've never produced a good recipe for braised spaniel.

its haraam to eat predators so dogs are not allowed

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ujjal Dosanjh: "Sadly, political correctness afflicts much of the world; in particular the Western world." :barf:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

There's literally not a single incorrect or "wrong" sentence written here. That you've decreed a person speaking his honest and nuanced opinion on how public discourse has shifted as vomitworthy proves him right, really.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The noble white man's oh so important opinions are being silenced! and shamed!!!111 :qq: Politicians are "paralyzed" by racial sensitivities, money and votes certainly have nothing to do with their behaviour no sir :qq:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

THC posted:

The noble white man's oh so important opinions are being silenced! and shamed!!!111 :qq: Politicians are "paralyzed" by racial sensitivities, money and votes certainly have nothing to do with their behaviour no sir :qq:

Last time I checked, Ujjal Dosanjh wasn't white.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rime posted:

Last time I checked, Ujjal Dosanjh wasn't white.

THC wasn't saying that he was. Dosanjh literally calls out white men as wrongly being silenced in the piece.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

THC wasn't saying that he was. Dosanjh literally calls out white men as wrongly being silenced in the piece.

Brannock posted:

There's literally not a single incorrect or "wrong" sentence written here. That you've decreed a person speaking his honest and nuanced opinion on how public discourse has shifted as vomitworthy proves him right, really.

Checks out. +1 Dosanjh

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahaha are you idiots taking dosanjh seriously about something

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

My main problem with this article is that it suggests canadians have any core values at all

edit: i guess you could construe dedication to mediocrity as a value

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ikantski posted:

Government of Canada sites feature trigger warnings now. Hopefully they get added quickly to where they're really needed, Ontario hydro bills.

tumblr poisoning the trigger warning well doesnt actually make this any less legitimate + appropriate a use of a trigger warning, tho

if anything it just reads to me as a cynical appeal to young people- a mostly-symbolic act that doesnt take any real effort or work (or money) but still conveys that We Care

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Holy poo poo a toll free TRIGGER CRISIS helpline

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ambrose Burnside posted:

tumblr poisoning the trigger warning well doesnt actually make this any less legitimate + appropriate a use of a trigger warning, tho

if anything it just reads to me as a cynical appeal to young people- a mostly-symbolic act that doesnt take any real effort or work (or money) but still conveys that We Care

It's a dog whistle to the militant PC crowd that enjoy seeing the concept of trigger warnings validated, that's kind of what I thought too. From what I've read about the horrors of native reserves and Winnipeg, the people closest to this problem probably have the stomach to read a website without needing a government helpline.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

It's a dog whistle to the militant PC crowd that enjoy seeing the concept of trigger warnings validated, that's kind of what I thought too. From what I've read about the horrors of native reserves and Winnipeg, the people closest to this problem probably have the stomach to read a website without needing a government helpline.

Triggers are actually a real thing for people with legit PTSD, fyi

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
"the militant PC crowd"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ikantski posted:

That kind of mentality actually exacerbates the problem. First it minimizes the scale of the problem because it implies that the traumatized victims can deal with it on their own. Second, it harms victims who can't handle the trauma even more because they are expected to have the ability to deal with it and when they can't meet society's expectation of them and try to find help and find little to none, well, it doesn't usually end well.

See: Mental Health issues in Veterans who are expected to sack up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
IMO being PC should probably be the concern of a government

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a moral panic about a small warning on a government webpage, we're really off to a great start this year thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Frankly, if anything needs a trigger warning, a discussion about rape, kidnapping and murder probably does. It seems pretty unreasonable to moan about this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Frankly, if anything needs a trigger warning, a discussion about rape, kidnapping and murder probably does. It seems pretty unreasonable to moan about this.

Most of Ikantski's posts are pretty unreasonable tbf.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Throwing your wife off a balcony should be a valid trigger therapy for ptsd cf good old Canadian Boys am I right

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

Two in a row!

Cultural Imperial posted:

Throwing your wife off a balcony should be a valid trigger therapy for ptsd cf good old Canadian Boys am I right

Why she wants to stay in the basement apartment.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Ikantski posted:

Personally, I think it's more pathetic that people get upset over a government website warning citizens of poo poo. How sad is your life that warnings disturb you? Do these people start cursing when tv shows tell them there's violence?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

flakeloaf posted:

Political figure respects local custom in house of worship. Truly this is the end of times.

Some customs shouldn't be honoured.

I don't know why he had to frame his argument around white men being "silenced" but the underlying criticisms he makes of multiculturalism seem pretty on point.

quote:

Recently there was an incident in Richmond, B.C., where a strata council executive ordained that its meetings will be conducted in Mandarin only. No English was to be allowed. At least 30 per cent of the residents of the strata in question didn't speak Mandarin. This shocking episode landed in the midst of the already hot controversy around the Chinese-only signs of various commercial establishments in Richmond. The Richmond council has failed to show any real leadership on these unnecessarily isolationist signs.

The fear of being branded racists has paralyzed the Richmond politicians.

I had been thinking about the many such instances when I read our prime minister declaring to The New York Times Magazine, "There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada...There are shared values -- openness, respect, compassion, willingness to work hard, to be there for each other, to search for equality and justice. Those qualities are what make us the first post national state."

Does that mean anything goes in Canada?

That there is no mainstream means there are many streams. It also implies that the streams never merge and mingle; the streams live on parallel to others, isolated and apart from each other. If so, how do we build a society with high degree of social solidarity and cohesion?

How do we develop shared values that the prime minister claims we have if all the streams do not at some point merge to create the mainstream?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They aren't afraid of being branded racists, they are afraid to piss off a powerful voting demographic. The problem isn't with "political correctness", the problem is liberal democracy itself. Sorry 'bout it girl.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

Then don't go into the place where they make people obey stupid rules. Accepting their invitation and then being disruptive, even if she'd have been in the right, would've been a dick move.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Are you saying that she shouldn't have gone, or that she should have gone and loudly protested?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Then don't go into the place where they make people obey stupid rules. Accepting their invitation and then being disruptive, even if she'd have been in the right, would've been a dick move.

Then how is she supposed to show grief for those killed and injured in the Paris and Beirut attacks?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

They aren't afraid of being branded racists, they are afraid to piss off a powerful voting demographic. The problem isn't with "political correctness", the problem is liberal democracy itself. Sorry 'bout it girl.

I agree, but that makes the problem bigger not smaller. Social democracy isn't sustainable without a mainstream cultural consensus supporting it, which is very hard to maintain when the government and most of civil society seem totally comfortable with the idea that Canada has no "national" characteristics whatsoever.

flakeloaf posted:

Jack of Hearts posted:

Are you saying that she shouldn't have gone, or that she should have gone and loudly protested?

I don't know why she was there to begin with so I'd need more information before properly answering these questions. But I'd say it should be a bedrock principle that a Canadian politician shouldn't legitimize or subject themselves to that kind of blatant sexism.

The role of Canadian politicians and the Canadian state should not be to form alliances with socially conservative community leaders or groups.

The only reason I don't call on such groups to be actively suppressed is that I think it would be counter productive, and would give the government more power than it could responsibly handle. So we're stuck taking the slow route and waiting for these people, or more likely their children or grandchildren, to abandon these beliefs. I think that go slow approach is probably the only viable strategy, but while we're waiting we really don't need our politicians acting like this kind of poo poo is OK.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

it should be a bedrock principle that a Canadian politician shouldn't legitimize or subject themselves to that kind of blatant sexism.

Completely agreed, and yeah it would definitely be easier to take a stand on exemplifying Canadian values while in office if we had some coherent idea of what those values were.

Gender inclusivity is a pretty low bar to clear, you'd think she could reliably manage that, I'm disappointed that she missed that opportunity, but if not going was literally not an option for her (I'd have a hard time accepting this) then toeing the line is the politest alternative I can think of. I would hope there are advisors who she listahahahahh I got myself again.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I don't know why she was there to begin with so I'd need more information before properly answering these questions.

https://twitter.com/kathleen_wynne/status/667779517973463040

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/aftermath-of-terrorist-attacks-no-time-for-hate-says-wynne

quote:

Acknowledging the “extraordinary circumstance” of being allowed to speak in the section of the mosque reserved for male worshipers, Wynne said religion has no place for hate.

“In these moments it is extremely important that we reinforce our Canadian values that are inclusive, that are based in compassion and understand that as human beings, we all want to find a way to live peacefully together.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

The role of Canadian politicians and the Canadian state should not be to form political alliances of convenience with socially conservative community leaders or groups.

:agreed: