Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So getting back into this after a few months. Is it just me or is the RES zones a little harder now? Smaller ships seem to be worth more now too.

Driving the rover is awkward, have to play with the binding/axis on it too. It's also annoying if the terrain your ship is on isn't level and you can't drive to the bay :saddowns:

Also, when I went through rebinding I just found out a quick bind existed for shield cells. I was playing the game up until then having to change fire groups mid battle :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I use a 360 controller for rover stuff.

Works a hell of a lot better than trying to fuss with the HOTAS

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Macho Madness lives forever!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

So this dumb game is really giving me an itch to get a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. Will a GTX980 drive that resolution in this game, or is it going to fail miserably and require a pair of 980ti's in SLI or something crazy?

I'm running 3600x2000 or whatever with triple 970's in SLI. I honestly think I'd have that ability with a single one, but I'm not sure. I think any of the 9 series or the Titan would run it solo.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like the asian sounding empire lady in some of the stations. I find the way she says "pilots" kind of cute :3:.

Its the same save.

Believe it or not, she's speaking in the Imperial accent. Most Imperials sound like that, at least aristocratically minded ones. Many will actually snub outsiders who don't sound like them.

Source: The Achenar System info tab.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I was laughing pretty hard at the "loitering is punishable" by death until I tried to land at the wrong landing pad. :smith:

My wife got me nice headphones for our anniversary; I got to try them with this game because the engines do sound very nice.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Anyone have any tips on how the hell to get into the NGC 7822 Nebula? Even in an Anaconda it looks like I'll have to burn most of my fuel to squeeze in jumps into get into that cluster most of the stars around are 30 ly apart....this is what I get for chasing down a shiny object on the horizon like some space magpie...

ED: Yup that was the trick...burn the fuel down till I hit 37LY and in you go...the whole place is a cluster of black holes and Class O stars.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 4, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is there a way to get more than 2 firing groups?

I found that I could add groups in multiple columns, but can't figure out how to use them. I'd like to have my scanner bound, or even a warrant scanner, but now that I'm using pulse's and multi-cannon's in two groups, it doesn't seem to be possible.

Would be great to be able to bind these scanners to some of my other mouse buttons.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Minor crosspost from the Steam Holiday thread, but I'm debating grabbing Elite Dangerous while it remains on sale.

As someone who was bored to tears by Rogue Galaxy (and promptly got refunded for it), but enjoys games like Tie Fighter, Freelancer, etc. Is this worth a shot at 15 bucks?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Handsome Ralph posted:

Minor crosspost from the Steam Holiday thread, but I'm debating grabbing Elite Dangerous while it remains on sale.

As someone who was bored to tears by Rogue Galaxy (and promptly got refunded for it), but enjoys games like Tie Fighter, Freelancer, etc. Is this worth a shot at 15 bucks?

I would say so. The core gameplay is fun but shallow, and at $15 I would definitely feel like I got my money's worth just to run around and do starship pew pew.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Locator posted:

Is there a way to get more than 2 firing groups?

I found that I could add groups in multiple columns, but can't figure out how to use them. I'd like to have my scanner bound, or even a warrant scanner, but now that I'm using pulse's and multi-cannon's in two groups, it doesn't seem to be possible.

Would be great to be able to bind these scanners to some of my other mouse buttons.
You can only assign stuff to primary or secondary fire, but you can have multiple groups (those columns) and switch between them with the appropriate key (N on the keyboard by default). I generally put lasers on primary in all my groups, witch secondary fire as scanners or ammo-based weapons depending on the group I have selected.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Cross post from the PGS thread:

DarthBlingBling posted:

Well done Felix:

That's ACTUAL Galnet btw, not local. Well done all!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handsome Ralph posted:

Andn if you join up with the Diamond Frogs, we will give you a direction to fly in. (mainly towards explosions)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I use a 360 controller for rover stuff.

Works a hell of a lot better than trying to fuss with the HOTAS

Now this sounds like a great idea. How do you have the controls set up?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'd appreciate any advice in setting up a hotas, I just got a T-Flight HOTAS X, and honestly I'm a little disappointed at how it measures up to a 360 pad at the moment. A real stick and throttle is nice, but the pad has a second stick for lateral thrust, and you can bind face buttons + d-pad to different functions, I tried binding a button on the hotas and a direction on the pov hat to stuff but it doesn't work in the same way as on the controller. Right now it feels like the hotas is limited in control options, and switching from it to the keyboard and back is gonna be a pain as my desk isn't huge and it gets in the way.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This thread from the official forums has tons of different preconfigured keybinds you can try out, most of which also come with a handy reference sheet. I use the same HOTAS and the only thing I have to move my hands for is using the mouse on the galaxy and system maps.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davoren posted:

I'd appreciate any advice in setting up a hotas, I just got a T-Flight HOTAS X, and honestly I'm a little disappointed at how it measures up to a 360 pad at the moment. A real stick and throttle is nice, but the pad has a second stick for lateral thrust, and you can bind face buttons + d-pad to different functions, I tried binding a button on the hotas and a direction on the pov hat to stuff but it doesn't work in the same way as on the controller. Right now it feels like the hotas is limited in control options, and switching from it to the keyboard and back is gonna be a pain as my desk isn't huge and it gets in the way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6NnxIDoLVxZFc0V253VHlkc3M/view

This is what I'm using, found it on steam. It is without a doubt one of the most comprehensive configs for the hotas x. The only things I switched around was the hotas nub black and blue settings so that instead of handling power by default without modifiers it handles the thrusters. I also added a quick exit bind to get out of UIs faster and switched yaw and turn around.

I spent most of my early time playing with keyboard and I got to the point I could combat drop into a mail hole using boosts on a loving asp explorer and it took me a while to get that proficient with the hotas, but now that I am I feel its easier to handle than a keyboard.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not wanting to juggle back and forth between keyboard and hotass is why I've refrained from purchasing an actual throttle so far. I use Joystick/Keyboard to great effect, with secondary thrusters bound to the hat. I don't really touch the binds that aren't on the stick itself (I mean the buttons on the base of the stick, as well as it's little throttle thingy) and have all weapons/target locking/maneuvering done with the stick while throttle, menu navigation and minor odds and ends (Hardpoint deployment, landing gear, scoop, etc) grouped around the left side of the board.

The only juggling I do at that point is between joystick and mouse if I want to use freelook.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Davoren posted:

Let me see if I can find the one I use. It's really nice in that it has three buttons on the throttle part that are used like function keys, so top + whatever is flight related, middle + whatever is combat related, and bottom + whatever is miscellaneous. I literally never touch the keyboard.

E: Here, giving credit where it's due (the random forum post I found the bindings on): https://elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?p=16004#p16004

Can't recommend it enough, it owns :) Only thing I changed was making 5 (flight) + up/down on the hat up and down thrusters, rather than forward/backward. Then made the little paddle thing on the throttle part left for backward and right for forward.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 4, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

Hello, on the second sheet of this space trucker music playlist tracker thing are the T-Flight HOTAS X bindings I use, which are heavily influenced by whatever goon in this thread recommended having dedicated "shift" buttons to sort of cheat more available buttons.

Note that my dumb rear end wasted money on a TrackIR, which eliminates some required buttons for me. But this should be a good starting point for you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LCL-Dead posted:

Not wanting to juggle back and forth between keyboard and hotass is why I've refrained from purchasing an actual throttle so far. I use Joystick/Keyboard to great effect, with secondary thrusters bound to the hat. I don't really touch the binds that aren't on the stick itself (I mean the buttons on the base of the stick, as well as it's little throttle thingy) and have all weapons/target locking/maneuvering done with the stick while throttle, menu navigation and minor odds and ends (Hardpoint deployment, landing gear, scoop, etc) grouped around the left side of the board.

The only juggling I do at that point is between joystick and mouse if I want to use freelook.

What juggling are you referring to? Or are you talking about Hostess setup that doesn't have a lot of dang buttons on it? The only thing I hit on keyboard besides typing in system names is I have silent running bound to s because my X-55 is a piece of poo poo and was randomly triggering it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any luck finding materials for jump boosts? My own efforts so far only resulted in some random rubbish, barely enough to refuel everything SRV-related once.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What juggling are you referring to? Or are you talking about Hostess setup that doesn't have a lot of dang buttons on it? The only thing I hit on keyboard besides typing in system names is I have silent running bound to s because my X-55 is a piece of poo poo and was randomly triggering it.

From the way I see it mentioned I would assume chat juggling.

If I had a throttle I doubt I would have much use for the keyboard outside of chat and debug camera buttons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

You can only assign stuff to primary or secondary fire, but you can have multiple groups (those columns) and switch between them with the appropriate key (N on the keyboard by default). I generally put lasers on primary in all my groups, witch secondary fire as scanners or ammo-based weapons depending on the group I have selected.

Ah, thank you very much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LCL-Dead posted:

From the way I see it mentioned I would assume chat juggling.

If I had a throttle I doubt I would have much use for the keyboard outside of chat and debug camera buttons.

That makes sense then!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Handsome Ralph posted:

$15 was my buy in the other day and it's totally worth it if you're looking for a free form space shoot mans simulator.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

VikingSkull posted:

$15 was my buy in the other day and it's totally worth it if you're looking for a free form space shoot mans simulator.

Yeah, saw your post in GiP and that's what made me give it another look. Honestly so long as I get freeroam space shooting for a few solid hours, 15 bucks is a steal.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6NnxIDoLVxZFc0V253VHlkc3M/view

This is what I'm using, found it on steam. It is without a doubt one of the most comprehensive configs for the hotas x. The only things I switched around was the hotas nub black and blue settings so that instead of handling power by default without modifiers it handles the thrusters. I also added a quick exit bind to get out of UIs faster and switched yaw and turn around.

I spent most of my early time playing with keyboard and I got to the point I could combat drop into a mail hole using boosts on a loving asp explorer and it took me a while to get that proficient with the hotas, but now that I am I feel its easier to handle than a keyboard.
Thanks for posting this, gonna use it for my HOTAS X when I get home!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

LCL-Dead posted:

Is the hat that little toggle thing (almost a mini-joystick) on the top of the joystick? I'm using some $20 Logitech model.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, saw your post in GiP and that's what made me give it another look. Honestly so long as I get freeroam space shooting for a few solid hours, 15 bucks is a steal.

Thanks for posting this, gonna use it for my HOTAS X when I get home!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6NnxIDoLVxYjZWQTUtSld2SGM/view

Just save this to the binding folder inside the elite dangerous folder in /local/. It'll give you the bindings already preconfigured into the game. I'll recommend adding a keybind for back and next system. Then everything else is personal preference.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The CH Pro Throttle has an analog mini joystick on its side that makes for an excellent directional thrust control.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Is the hat that little toggle thing (almost a mini-joystick) on the top of the joystick? I'm using some $20 Logitech model.

Yes

I too use a $32 Logitech (Extreme 3D Pro) model.

Shine posted:

The CH Pro Throttle has an analog mini joystick on its side that makes for an excellent directional thrust control.

If I ever buy a throttle the CH Pro is likely the one I will buy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6NnxIDoLVxYjZWQTUtSld2SGM/view

Just save this to the binding folder inside the elite dangerous folder in /local/. It'll give you the bindings already preconfigured into the game. I'll recommend adding a keybind for back and next system. Then everything else is personal preference.

Oh even better, thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

These missions where you have to recover "X" are a pain in the rear end. Everytime I hit supercruise space cops start crawling up my rear end and either try and interdict me or drop out of supercruise as I do and almost instantly scan me. Is there any way around that? Some of those missions seem to pay pretty well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Libluini posted:

Has anyone had any luck finding materials for jump boosts? My own efforts so far only resulted in some random rubbish, barely enough to refuel everything SRV-related once.

Hit pristine systems is the only solid advice I've seen.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I used to see one or two mineral/metal mining missions fairly often, but now that I'm carrying 11 Panite and 16 Orsium no one seems to want them any longer. I have now made 63 jumps from where I've mined them, visited every station in every system along those 63 jumps and not a single one asked for any metals or minerals. Not even Platnium, which I don't have. I'm going to just sell them off for their base price and return to mining, but I had hopes of trading these things in for a Type-7.

This game is cruel. I suspect the mining missions will magically return after I've emptied my hold.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

raifield posted:

I used to see one or two mineral/metal mining missions fairly often, but now that I'm carrying 11 Panite and 16 Orsium no one seems to want them any longer. I have now made 63 jumps from where I've mined them, visited every station in every system along those 63 jumps and not a single one asked for any metals or minerals. Not even Platnium, which I don't have. I'm going to just sell them off for their base price and return to mining, but I had hopes of trading these things in for a Type-7.

This game is cruel. I suspect the mining missions will magically return after I've emptied my hold.

I suspect you'll get better odds in the correct system economy. Not sure which one is that though. Extraction?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've gotten 10 million from flying around in circles, what do I buy for shooting fun?

Edit: fun in shooting, rather than shooting the concept of fun.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I accidentally shot the wrong dude in a RES, and got myself a bounty. I was then scanned and blown up when I tried to dock. That was a cool $250k mistake, + however many bounties I had onboard waiting to turn in.

For future reference, if I accidentally shoot a friendly and get a bounty, is there any way to clear it up other than just exploding? I'd have happily paid the stupid 6400 credit fine instead of getting exploded if that was an option.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

The Locator posted:

So I accidentally shot the wrong dude in a RES, and got myself a bounty. I was then scanned and blown up when I tried to dock. That was a cool $250k mistake, + however many bounties I had onboard waiting to turn in.

For future reference, if I accidentally shoot a friendly and get a bounty, is there any way to clear it up other than just exploding? I'd have happily paid the stupid 6400 credit fine instead of getting exploded if that was an option.

The bounty will expire anywhere from minutes to a week depending on the severity. Until it does you can avoid the system or try not to get scanned. Unfortunately it seems a lot easier to get scanned as of the recent patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hav posted:

I've gotten 10 million from flying around in circles, what do I buy for shooting fun?

Edit: fun in shooting, rather than shooting the concept of fun.

A serviceable D-rated Vulture runs about 5.5M. You can Incrementally upgrade it from there. It's like an Eagle but with much bigger guns.

• Locked thread