Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Trump will build the wall then invoice Mexico. When they don't pay, the US will seize it. Check. Mate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a testament to Trump's popularity online that I still can't say for sure that ad wasn't hacked up by his fans based on that previewed script and passed off to the Washington Post as real just for fun. He's honestly got enough fans that instead of paying for adds he could just put out scripts of adds he wants made and let the likes of /pol/ cut them together for him.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Donald Trump is the least dangerous Republican to win the Presidency since presumably he'd result in a government so deadlocked and ineffective that we at least wouldn't have to worry about new poo poo coming down the pipe. Hell, I could believe Obama would deliberately sign over powers (probably assisted by Democrats in Congress and those Republicans not swept up in Trumpism) to weaken the office of the Presidency before Trump would take it over. Just about every branch and office of government would simply work to contain him.

The other candidates with a shot have real agendas, rooted in the Conservative movement and with broad support in the Republican party both nationwide and in Congress. Any of them get elected and plenty will get done, but none of it good.

The party with majorities in both houses would fall in behind him and he'd sign everything they put across his desk. You're kidding yourself if you don't think a trump presidency wouldn't be as bad as any of the other whackos the republicans are running.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Garrand posted:

Entertainment Gaming News

or (Entertainment News Gaming??)

Donald Trump is apparently central to modern gaming.

How else will we turn real life into Fallout?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm glad that we can just dispense with the bullshit and bring politics down to the real facts: "I hate Them and I'm gonna blow Them up, vote Trump."

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm glad that we can just dispense with the bullshit and bring politics down to the real facts: "I hate Them and I'm gonna blow Them up, vote Trump."

Also "take Their stuff."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

How else will we turn real life into Fallout?

Workbench > Resources > Water > Gold Faucets

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Trump will build the wall then invoice Mexico. When they don't pay, the US will seize it. Check. Mate. :smug:
Where will we deport the Mexicans illegals to when we take Mexico?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Inferior Third Season posted:

Where will we deport the Mexicans illegals to when we take Mexico?

North Mexico aka Communist Canada

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zelder posted:

Trump's "Muslim Ban" is really loving up the meta
I still think "until we can figure out what's going on" is the dumbest timetable ever, even by U.S. standards. It should be a huge red flag to folks that Trump is just making this poo poo up as he goes along, but no.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

El Disco posted:

[Kill them and] Also "take Their stuff."

I'm glad politics is really just murderhobo-ism write large.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grey Fox posted:

I still think "until we can figure out what's going on" is the dumbest timetable ever, even by U.S. standards. It should be a huge red flag to folks that Trump is just making this poo poo up as he goes along, but no.

If this was a totally brand new phenomenon, I could maybe understand it, but it's been going on for like half a century now. If we haven't figured out what's going on by now, we're never going to figure it out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Grey Fox posted:

If he actually meant it, maybe, but this is what constitutes a dog whistle by Trump's standards - his supporters hear that and understand what they'll "figure out" is Muslims are too dangerous to let into the country ever. As big and loud as Trump's gone, even he can pretend to be reasonable and compromise, where his concession is allowing for the possibility he'll lift the ban some day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
so let's talk about this

It is social security. mandatory contribution + guaranteed return + no choice of funds = social security with IRA inheritance features.

I mean this + SS would be better than now due to the issues with 401ks/403ks/IRAs, but this is just social security with a completely minor tweak. You could just double social security.

This is like that article from the WaPo 2 months back, where a bunch of "sharing economy" people, Silly Valley types, and financial bankers had formed a work group to try and figure out if there was a way to have all the benefits package of a good job (health care, retirement, maternity benefits, etc) but have them be fully transferable to anywhere in the country instead of being linked to the company you worked for. Gosh, if only there was some national organization (like a government!) that could take contributions from all the companies (like some sort of tax!) and distribute them to all the workers (like some sort of spending program!). But nothing that exists so these masters of the universe will come up with a new thing.

Or the larger package of how many education reformers are pushing for systems that link private schools with these big internal welfare programs and then pointing out how the poor kids now in these systems (and having their effective standard of living boosted) now perform as well as those who were already at that effective standard of living. Maybe there is a link there? I dunno.

The ideology of "nothing from the government; no redistribution" running up against the necessity of widespread government redistribution programs is producing some really corkscrew thinking.

But then we currently have a bunch of far right wing protestors staging a sit in of a federal building on a general platform of "forgive the debt, redistribute the land" so what the hell

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

I'm sure this will get someone to tut tut at me for thinking I'm better than the perfidious Other, but if you're a Trump primary supporter, you're probably not there to hear about logical, implementable plans at this point

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Allegheny County, Pennsylvania will soon enact a three-month limit on EBT for the unemployed. Black unemployment in Pittsburgh is above 10%.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

The ideology of "nothing from the government; no redistribution" running up against the necessity of widespread government redistribution programs is producing some really corkscrew thinking.

It sort of like how bitcoiners had to slowly reinvent everything that banks were already doing. I think it's called "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Allegheny County, Pennsylvania will soon enact a three-month limit on EBT for the unemployed. Black unemployment in Pittsburgh is above 10%.

Well, one of the ways major historical bloodlettings of the rich get started is some people living in absolute luxury while a large group of people are unable to house or feed themselves, so maybe it's a good thing.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fried Chicken posted:

It is social security. mandatory contribution + guaranteed return + no choice of funds = social security with IRA inheritance features.
I'm thinking the bolded section is where the giveaway for Wall St. will happen somehow which is why this is being pushed in a few places now.

I think the complications this would introduce + the issues with getting it through Federal and state legislatures + the in general ho hum at best reputation IRA's have with many people will kill this idea before it gets traction. Or that at least is what I'm going to hope happens.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Al! posted:

Well, one of the ways major historical bloodlettings of the rich get started is some people living in absolute luxury while a large group of people are unable to house or feed themselves, so maybe it's a good thing.

http://strib.mn/1VA1z3c

quote:

Susan Reardon, 61, of Kalamazoo, Mich., said she was leaning toward going uninsured this year. She calculated that she would have to spend more than $12,000 to get anything beyond preventive benefits from the cheapest exchange plan available to her.

Reardon said she would rather pay out of pocket for the drugs she takes and the handful of doctor appointments she tends to need each year.

If something catastrophic happens, she said, “I feel like it’s better just to die.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zelder posted:

I'm sure this will get someone to tut tut at me for thinking I'm better than the perfidious Other, but if you're a Trump primary supporter, you're probably not there to hear about logical, implementable plans at this point
I agree, but to me the line was setting the bar even lower than it's been up to this point already. The dogwhistle notion makes the most sense here; it's just infuriating that this sort of thing appears to work.

I want to blame it on his core supporters' lack of engagement with the political system (i.e., easier to fool someone that's participating for the first time) up to this point, but it really is just good old fashioned xenophobia.

edit:

quote:

“I feel like it’s better just to die."
Oh hey, new thread title.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

so let's talk about this

But then we currently have a bunch of far right wing protestors staging a sit in of a federal building on a general platform of "forgive the debt, redistribute the land" so what the hell

Yeah, I think that's the cause too - the axiom "government involvement bad no matter what" manages to fuel both of these opposite sort of positions because it's possible to get there with some extremely idiotic logic as long as you never ever question the first bit about government involvement always being bad. And then because you arrived at the conclusion logically you get to feel smart and good and morally upright and all that jazz. Richard Dawkins is another extreme example of dumb premises and overconfidence in the validity of one's logic leading to vehement defense of contradictory conclusions like I am a logical humanist far superior to the retard theists because of how logical and loving of humanity I am, but women really need to stfu and Islam must be destroyed.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Not just Allegheny County, all across the state/country where unemployment at a county level is low enough. It comes from a 1996 federal law. The state is trying to get it fixed so at least it isn't a horrible state government type thing.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Spudd posted:

Man you dudes are so hosed

Where do you live, I doubt anywhere on Earth is fully insulated from American fuckery

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm thinking the bolded section is where the giveaway for Wall St. will happen somehow which is why this is being pushed in a few places now.
How? Do you even understand what that part means? Wall Street doesn't touch this, the whole this is administered by the government specifically to avoid Wall Street getting a cut from fees, and the guaranteed return is a promise that you won't get wiped out if the market crashes. This is how social security works now.

quote:

I think the complications this would introduce + the issues with getting it through Federal and state legislatures + the in general ho hum at best reputation IRA's have with many people will kill this idea before it gets traction. Or that at least is what I'm going to hope happens.
Internet liberals arguing against poverty reduction programs itt

Right now the threat would be that after labor economist (and Clinton advisor) Teresa Ghilarducci proposed something similar you had Rush, Beck, and NRO lose their poo poo and whip their fanatics to the point of sending a ton of death threats to her. So the most likely end is that the people who propose ways to fight poverty get threatened and attacked into silence

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 4, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I see IRA and I think stocks and bonds of some sort. That the govt. gets to administer it doesn't mean Wall St. wouldn't or couldn't get money out of it somehow.

Fried Chicken posted:

Internet liberals arguing against poverty reduction programs itt
What makes you think I'm against poverty reduction programs in general? Especially when replying to your comment calling out this plan as at least sub-optimal vs just improving SS?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SirPablo posted:

Sadly the most plausible plan I've heard from his supporters is confiscation, or heavy taxation, of remittances.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Remember when a 65 year old Sikh was beaten half to death in Fresno?

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/elderly-sikh-stabbed-to-death-in-us/article8064998.ece

A 68 year old Sikh was stabbed to death in Fresno.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

How? Do you even understand what that part means? Wall Street doesn't touch this, the whole this is administered by the government specifically to avoid Wall Street getting a cut from fees, and the guaranteed return is a promise that you won't get wiped out if the market crashes. This is how social security works now.

The TSP (the 401k for federal employees) is a good example of how much less a government run retirement account costs - the fee is 0.029% vs 1% average for a 401k.

Overall a great idea. 401k based retirement accounts are a complete disaster as far as public policy is concerned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is also the same area where you can have kids growing up in/near Homestead without ever learning about the Homestead Strike in school. Though if Homestead 2.0 happens it'll probably be cleared out with sound cannons and the other crazy poo poo that Pittsburgh got years ago when hosting a summit and it's not like there's enough organized labor in Pittsburgh for such a revolt to happen in the first place.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grey Fox posted:

Oh hey, new thread title.

It's horrible that people are taking the, in context, more rational alternative of literally choosing death/suicide when confronted with our hosed up healthcare system. :smithicide:

Oh yeah, the Trump ad is real by the way. It's also getting coverage on the news.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

gradenko_2000 posted:

It sort of like how bitcoiners had to slowly reinvent everything that banks were already doing. I think it's called "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

It is a retread of putting i in front of everything because of Apple, but instead of i it's libertarianism.

Oh, and making the same product worse.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

What securities would the funds be put in that guarantee a rate of return?

article posted:

a guarantee of a return of around 3 percent — about half the expected return on stocks over the long term — would be essentially costless even as the underlying rate fluctuated with the market and inflation. For someone making an average salary of about $48,000, a 3 percent contribution would yield about $170,000 over a lifetime. Three percent is not an adequate saving rate, it is a starting base. Our plan would provide a lifelong annuity, like a defined benefit plan, so no one would face the risk of outliving his or her money.

Inflation has averaged ~2.5-3% over the last 40 years. Assuming the low end of inflation, lets say 2% going forward, that would mean these type of accounts would grow at a percent per year. Stocks (s&p 500) have had a total return of ~7%. Do you believe the stability of return is worth the trade off of 4-6% growth?

Edit:
4-6% was based off if the return in the article was based off was on top of inflation or not.

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/histretSP.html

Junkyard Poodle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 4, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I see IRA and I think stocks and bonds of some sort. That the govt. gets to administer it doesn't mean Wall St. wouldn't or couldn't get money out of it somehow.
Bonds... Like, say treasury securities? Like what social security is presently in?

quote:

Also What makes you think I'm against poverty reduction programs in general? Especially when replying to your comment calling out this plan as at least sub-optimal vs just improving SS?
There is a difference between my statement that this is an overly complicated solution but still an improvement to the status quo, and your declaration that you hope it fails which would leave the even worse status quo in place

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 4, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Junkyard Poodle posted:

What securities would the funds be put in that guarantee a rate of return?
it says 3% is "a starting base". So thats a minimum rate of return; the idea being that if t does less the government coughs up the difference

quote:

Inflation has averaged ~2.5-3% over the last 40 years. Assuming the low end of inflation, lets say 2% going forward, that would mean these type of accounts would grow at a percent per year. Stocks (s&p 500) have had a total return of ~7%. Do you believe the stability of return is worth the trade off of 4-6% growth?
it is a minimum rate of return, not a fixed growth rate. So it isn't a trade off. The point of setting it there is to make sure that you don't lose money (either through the economy taking a dive or inflation eating away purchasing power)

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 4, 2016

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Fried Chicken posted:

it says 3% is "a starting base". So thats a minimum rate of return; the idea being that if t does less the government coughs up the difference

So if one year I make 2% and the government chips in 1% to make up the difference do I give that back to the government when my investment makes 8% the following year? If not, it sounds like privatizing profit and socializing losses.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Fried Chicken posted:

Bonds... Like, say treasury securities? Like what social security is presently in?

There is a difference between my statement that this is an overly complicated solution but still an improvement to the status quo, and your declaration that you hope it fails which would leave the even worse status quo in place

The article's specifically talking about a diversified portfolio as a selling point, I parsed it as saying some chunk of the money would be in equities. I guess they could dump everything in TIPS or something, but that didn't seem like the way they were selling it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Good Citizen posted:

I wonder what the exact breakpoint in gas prices would be that results in a GOP president in 2017. About $4.50/gallon maybe?

Out of curiosity, what were the prices at this time in 2008 and leading up to the election, when Obama curb stomped whitey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Did an edit after you replied. It would still be a trade off. The market (s&p 500) has done better. By putting money into the the new accounts one would forgo alternative investments.

If you claim it could be done with treasuries and cut out wall street, then, historically speaking, you would still be giving up several points in growth. Additionally, if the demand for treasuries goes up, thus getting bid up when put on auction, the returns of treasuries will go down.

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/histretSP.html

• Locked thread