Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
According to various teardown websites the xbox one controller costs ~$15 in parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if they were trying to put the elite controller in with rift then you would have a valid complaint

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Al! posted:

Sony is a profitable company (in large part due to the games business). Facebook has a lot of capital behind it but is not structured in a way so that they could tell shareholders well we're out 400 mil on these things but at least we got them into people's hands which is a major part of our 5 and 10 year plans with the PlayStation 4 and not get strung up

their plan is to sell them at a loss. they have said this all along. they have a way more flexible corporate structure than sony and way more capital with which to work. facebook is structured so that it can do whatever it drat wants because shareholders don't do poo poo when you're worth $275 billion

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Al! posted:

Sony is going to have a presser shortly after Oculus preorder mania has died down where they out price it because they're the only company poised to sell the thing as a loss and it will be amazing

sony has a CES press conference tomorrow, they can pull a two-hundred-and-ninety-nine dollars and just kneecap oculus

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

sony has a CES press conference tomorrow, they can pull a two-hundred-and-ninety-nine dollars and just kneecap oculus
which is why oculus is holding on price, they probably don't even have an internal agreement yet, just a sliding scale and price match contingencies for weds

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

do you think you'll be able to use the ps4 vr headset on pc?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
have we actually seen much about sonys headset, because i havent

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

also i don't really see why keyboard+mouse wouldn't work for occulus and why a controller is so absolutely required that it needs to be bundled

i guess you need a controller for that treadmill thing that the rift also doesn't come with?
and since the only good vr games are going to be 1st person, a mouse would be better than a controller wouldn't it?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Valeyard posted:

have we actually seen much about sonys headset, because i havent

yeah, they've shown it off a lot

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

does capcom have businesses outside of games & games merchandise because they've quietly been pulling a konami for years

no capcom is just run of the mill incompetent. they have no loving clue how to handle video game franchises.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pinterest Mom posted:

if Sony is smart they will do this again, investors loved the way they slapped down the bone on price even though it is clear that they wouldn't make a ton of profit on the devices themselves

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Awia posted:

do you think you'll be able to use the ps4 vr headset on pc?

probably not?

certainly not in any officially supported way

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
controllers are ownage and much more comfortable and portable

when youre wearing a vr headset you dont want to have to sit down at a loving a desk to use keyboard+mouse

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah, they've shown it off a lot

fair enough, im assuming that maens its ps4 only then...so its not even in competition with occulus rift yet

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

probably not?

certainly not in any officially supported way

a whole market segment, like tears in the rain

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Valeyard posted:

controllers are ownage and much more comfortable and portable

when youre wearing a vr headset you dont want to have to sit down at a loving a desk to use keyboard+mouse

or maybe you do when youre tethered by a bundle of cables?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Valeyard posted:

fair enough, im assuming that maens its ps4 only then...so its not even in competition with occulus rift yet

of course it's in competition. you'll likely be able to get a ps4+psvr headset for the price of an oculus rift, and it'll have more exclusive content.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Awia posted:

I owned a viao

Sony should stay the hell away from pcs

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Awia posted:

console market is 10x larger than the pc market, and also buys more dollars worth of games per capita

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Shaggar posted:

aint nothing wrong with killing thousands and thousands of Nazis.
yeah

Pinterest Mom posted:

cant wait to play ffxiv from the warm embrace of my vr headset
im already thiiiiiiis close to just not eating at all so ill be dead soon

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

also i don't really see why keyboard+mouse wouldn't work for occulus and why a controller is so absolutely required that it needs to be bundled

i guess you need a controller for that treadmill thing that the rift also doesn't come with?
and since the only good vr games are going to be 1st person, a mouse would be better than a controller wouldn't it?

no, a mouse only has one plane of movement. a controller has two. Also, you're wearing a giant headset, so you can't see your keyboard. this is about making it easy for people - you can still use mouse + kb, but it'll be a pain in the rear end

the treadmill thing is a dumb gimmick not made by oculus

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blackula69 posted:

no, a mouse only has one plane of movement. a controller has two. Also, you're wearing a giant headset, so you can't see your keyboard. this is about making it easy for people - you can still use mouse + kb, but it'll be a pain in the rear end

how loving old are you :laffo:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bhodi posted:

console market is 10x larger than the pc market, and also buys more dollars worth of games per capita

how can you say this with any degree of confidence when steam doesn't release sales figures?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

of course it's in competition. you'll likely be able to get a ps4+psvr headset for the price of an oculus rift, and it'll have more exclusive content.

this is probably unlikely, and while psvr will perhaps have some high-profile exclusives, the processing power of the PC makes it the lead platform for VR by a mile

i really have no idea how the playstation VR is going to work considering the hardware inside the console.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackula69 posted:

i really have no idea how the playstation VR is going to work considering the hardware inside the console.

answer: it wont

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Awia posted:

how can you say this with any degree of confidence when steam doesn't release sales figures?
because publishers do, ubisoft for example reported sales last year and pc sales were 23% of their profits (which are significantly higher per sale due to not having to pay license percentages to sony/microsoft)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

DuckConference posted:

i don't really get bloodborne

so right after the start of the game, I can go from the central yarnham lantern, kill some dudes, then slowly whittle down a giant crowd around a bonfire (and it sounds like there's a boss after that) or go face some miniboss around the corner. Anyway, at some point in culling the giant herd or trying to fight the miniboss I gently caress up and die, and so have to kill the same dudes again, in the same way, in the exact same place

since I'm not as quick as I used to be it would take me a while to get good enough to beat either section, so in the meantime I'm just going along the same path, killing the same dudes in the same spots, over and over again. it's already getting boring and i get the impression that this core activity loop is basically the game and I don't really get what's appealing about it

it's a game that lets unskilled gamers feel like real achievers by brute forcing their way to victory

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

this is probably unlikely, and while psvr will perhaps have some high-profile exclusives, the processing power of the PC makes it the lead platform for VR by a mile

it comes with an external video card is my understanding lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Awia posted:

any two of last-gen consoles have sold more units than there were active users on steam last year

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

there's an addon part that comes with it that plugs into the playstation, presumably with a better gpu in it
like a sega cd or 32x

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bhodi posted:

because publishers do, ubisoft for example reported sales last year and pc sales were 23% of their profits (which are significantly higher per sale due to not having to pay license percentages to sony/microsoft)

kalstrams posted:

any two of last-gen consoles have sold more units than there were active users on steam last year

ive been owned

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

this is probably unlikely

:shrug:

you can get a ps4 for 300$. sony have said that the price of psvr will be comparable to the price of the console.

i expect oculus to probably charge 700$

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

kalstrams posted:

how loving old are you :laffo:

you are moving around constantly in VR, which fucks with your sense of space. it's not hard to type without looking, it's difficult to type without looking when the expected visual feedback isn't there and you're getting other inputs at the same time

so what you guys are saying is that oculus shouldn't have included a controller that probably cost them $10 because instead they should have depended on users having janky old busted 360 controllers or some motionjoy poo poo, or being able to use their keyboards without looking while in VR

this is why cjs don't make business decisions

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

23% is actually pretty huge for the PC market when you realize that the xbone was only at 11% for them

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

you can get a ps4 for 300$. sony have said that the price of psvr will be comparable to the price of the console.

i expect oculus to probably charge 700$

yeah i guess if you just make up a random price with no relation to anything, that might work

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

i can put my fingers on wasd just by feeling for the lil' nub on the F key

the two planes of movement i don't really get tho. the two supposed planes of movement don't really help in counter strike :shrug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is paying Facebook to include an Xbox One controller to drive Windows 10 adoption.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

yeah i guess if you just make up a random price with no relation to anything, that might work

oculus has been doing the "you're going to have to get a second job" routine, it's not going to be cheap

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is paying Facebook to include an Xbox One controller to drive Windows 10 adoption.

this is the most likely scenario

and anyone who plays counterstrike in VR deserves the brutal motion sickness they get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

this is the most likely scenario

and anyone who plays counterstrike in VR deserves the brutal motion sickness they get

fair enough
either way, the mouse works fine for whatever 1st person walking simulator you'd play

• Locked thread