Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

RyuHimora posted:

Wait, what? Malware directly from the factory? :stare:

Working a military contract made me so paranoid (and aware) about malware from the factory.

Let's all go back to Dual-Layer DVD-Rs with 20% failure rates and 4x write speed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm currently giving Okta an evaluation (tell me if it's poo poo please), and I can't find any mention in the documentation or on the admin console where I can change the timezone. I think it's stuck in PST at the moment and have no idea how to change it. Anyone use this product?

Have you considered moving your facility to the West Coast?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
West coast best cost

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"We want to use Outlook for our department wide project tracking."

What? No. Don't use Outlook for anything other than email.

"Alright what about Sharepoint. Can we buy Sharepoint? We want to keep out todo lists somewhere."

Go away.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Double post

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Bob Morales posted:

Are you kidding? This sounds like a job for Public Folders!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh god the amount of people who try and use Outlook as a CRM and then go crazy when Exchange changes how something works :gonk:

If you want a CRM then go and subscribe to a CRM app. Outlook isn't one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh god the amount of people who try and use Outlook as a CRM and then go crazy when Exchange changes how something works :gonk:

Muh NK2 and PSTs :qq:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

"Alright what about Sharepoint. Can we buy Sharepoint? We want to keep out todo lists somewhere."

Go away.

Jira or Trello a million other "manage a group list" apps would work well, and aren't terribly expensive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RyuHimora posted:

Wait, what? Malware directly from the factory? :stare:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/code-published-for-unfixable-usb-attack/

Its been a concern for a little while, since so many of those USB drives come from china.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Jira or Trello a million other "manage a group list" apps would work well, and aren't terribly expensive.

They were using Trello...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

They were using Trello...

If they struggle with Trello, no technology will help them. It's them. They're their own problem.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

If they struggle with Trello, no technology will help them. It's them. They're their own problem.

I had a guy refuse to use Redmine because you have to click on new issue to start a new entry in a project, and it was tasks he wanted instead of issues because they weren't issues and oh god this is horrible why are you so bad at technology?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

People turning Office into things its not supposed to do seems to be a time honored tradition.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CitizenKain posted:

People turning Office into things its not supposed to do seems to be a time honored tradition.

Turning things into things they aren't supposed to be is a time honored American tradition. Haven't you every heard of yankee ingenuity?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
On Asana: "I'm no good with technology"

It is not technology, it's a product. Like a microwave. You can reheat pizza without being a physicist, you can add and complete a task without being a goddamn computer scientist.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I had a guy refuse to use Redmine because you have to click on new issue to start a new entry in a project, and it was tasks he wanted instead of issues because they weren't issues and oh god this is horrible why are you so bad at technology?

I'm setting them up a Redmine site this coming week

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Swink posted:

On Asana: "I'm no good with technology"

It is not technology, it's a product. Like a microwave. You can reheat pizza without being a physicist, you can add and complete a task without being a goddamn computer scientist.

How do you like Asana? I'm supposed to evaluate it as a project management tool this week. Nobody bothers reading MS Project documents, so we're hoping something new and Not MS Project will be better adopted.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

How do you like Asana? I'm supposed to evaluate it as a project management tool this week. Nobody bothers reading MS Project documents, so we're hoping something new and Not MS Project will be better adopted.

We've been running Asana for our 5 developer team for a few months (since whenever they changed their UI) - before that we ran Trello only.

So far it's really good for our work flow, fairly straightforward to add and assign tasks. The progress view is nice, but in the whole thing seems to be geared towards projects that have a defined end. We have a continuous project that will "never" end, which I haven't found a good way to put into any of the web based tools I've tried (but at least Asana doesn't complain about it).

All in all, very happy, and we're still on the free tier. I would like to have a way to add read-only users without having to pay for a full user, but all in all it works for our team (and seriously, not very expensive).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Thanks Cisco for calling at 8:30 on Sunday morning to inquire about a ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Mac OS SSL VPN app for Sonicwalls is causing a clients firewall to instantly reboot when someone attempts to use it. This is awesome.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We use asana to move an item between stages. For example, to bill a client we have a gargantuan 50 step process. So a clients bill will move through Asana 'sections' during its life and only be marked complete when the bill is paid (a million days later. )

I personally use it as a big todo list. I only really use it so I know how to support the teams that rely on it. I find the interface sluggish since the upgrade, they have said they're working on that issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You're out of the office. You see a ticket come in (through email) where a component of a system is not working. You can see that another team member has started working on the ticket.

Do you:

A) Let the other guy work on it and if he needs assistance he'll come to you
B) Call/email the other guy and ask if he needs help
C) Remotely log in, start restarting poo poo, never update the ticket or otherwise tell anyone else you're doing anything

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

You're out of the office. You see a ticket come in (through email) where a component of a system is not working. You can see that another team member has started working on the ticket.

Do you:

A) Let the other guy work on it and if he needs assistance he'll come to you
B) Call/email the other guy and ask if he needs help
C) Remotely log in, start restarting poo poo, never update the ticket or otherwise tell anyone else you're doing anything

Someone did C to you right? A is the right option in most cases, unless its a customer that is super picky and you are usually responsible for and you need it done right, then probably B, but maybe a 4th option of "email him with the common solution to the reoccurring issue". They took the ticket let them handle it enjoy your time off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Friday our wonderful dogshit system locked up because two orders had the same PO number. You know the drill, a customer calls and places an order and they just use their name or some poo poo for the purchase order #. This has happened like 5 times before and I asked for it to be fixed 5 times before.

"Well I fixed it. I had Matt add a thing where it puts 'duplicate' on the PO number. But there were two orders that said 'JOE-DUPLICATE' so that's what happened. I'm going to call up Matt and have him put the date on the PO number"

Sounds great. But what happens when a customer places 2 orders in 1 day? Then it'll crash again.

"Oh I know. Well..."

Here's an idea you mongoloid: verify the PO number before we accept it. If it already exists, make them re-enter it on the web form.

"It's a static website we can't check that"

The gently caress we can't. So we can create a new PO but we can't check the existing ones? Just query the database...

"Oh I know" (this is this guys line when he has no loving clue what you're talking about)

You see, invoices are objects. Tell Matt just to add a validation for the PO number to make sure it's not a duplicate and it won't ever get into the database. The user will get a message that it exists already and have to re-enter it.

"Oh I know"

:tipshat:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Someone did C to you right?
Not to me, but old AS/400 goober did it to helpdesk guy.

I let them fight about it this morning about.

"SURE IS FUNNY THE PROCESS KEPT RESTARTING WITH YOUR NAME ATTACHED TO IT"

Well yea I was restarting it

'YOU JUST DID THAT WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE? YOU COULDN'T SEE I TOOK THE TICKET"

durr I thought it would fix it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob, where exactly do you work? Is the AS400 going to retire anytime soon?

I could use an easy job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I could use an easy job.

We are implementing NetSuite starting this month. I am going to office-space the gently caress out of that thing when we unplug it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
poo poo not pissing me off; I have a phone interview tomorrow for a Network Operator role :toot:. A proper second-stage "this could take up to an hour" one, not the initial courtesy call. Casual day shifts and occasional on-call... by remote from home, and they've freely admitted it's largely a stable boring role so even the job listing encourages a "second skill of benefit to the organization" because it gets quiet sometimes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tab8715 posted:

I could use an easy job.

Nordstrom still has em!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Are you kidding? This sounds like a job for Public Folders!

Do it in Filemaker!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Do it in Filemaker!

They use that for PLM right now. It's a huge mess. (product lifecycle management)

You should see their giant Excel spreadsheets they use for work instructions. They are like 150MB each full of photos and poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My old company used shared mailboxes to store all the information for building contracts. This included all the finance documents, all the construction documents, all the asbuilts. They were shocked when I had to rebuild their OST on a monthly basis because they'd have 10 shared mailboxes sitting at multiple gigs connected to their outlook. Jesus christ, this is why we have sharepoint. Most of the other departments used it just fine but for some reason the contracts group and the property management teams were just trash.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKain posted:

Thanks Cisco for calling at 8:30 on Sunday morning to inquire about a ticket.

I've had AT&T and XO Communications call before 8am. AT&T was a tech checking on a ticket who simply didn't care about the timezone on the ticket. It was just the once. XO did that a lot, the internal system their CIO won some IT innovation award for wouldn't let them change timezones, and they had me listed as being in Eastern. I fixed their wagon, I called that CIO's assistant and raised a stink. That took care of it in a hurry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tigntink posted:

Nordstrom still has em!

A ton of places do. If you buy something at costco.com and return in at the warehouse they have to look up the item on their local terminal, write down the SKU on a post-it, and then enter it manually on the store POS system. There's no communication between the two at all as I understand it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Ynglaur posted:

We use Asana here and its awesome. Check it out. It's cancelled four weekly meetings by allowing people to see whats up.

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

I wish. I could work on something new and exciting. AS/400 is still surprisingly popular in the UK.

I love my job but I am sick of RPG.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Do it in Filemaker!

I almost made a meme for this, with Pappy from starfox saying this. Too bad i'm too lazy and have too much post-vacation poo poo to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wanda posted:

I wish. I could work on something new and exciting. AS/400 is still surprisingly popular in the UK.

I love my job but I am sick of RPG.

With Zend you can do it all in PHP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Things not pissing me off. I logged in today and found that I have another five days of pto added to my balance. I thought it was after five years, but it's after four apparently.