Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you all, glad you enjoyed the piece! I have created Word document files with each of the stories and hosted them on Mediafire, is that suitable? Let me know what they think, thank you. Here they are:

Doc Eldar 1
Doc Eldar 2
Doc Eldar 3
Doc Eldar 4
Doc Eldar 5
Doc Eldar 6
Doc Eldar 7
Doc Eldar 8
Doc Eldar 9

Doc Eldar Last Night On Call

Stillness (This isn't a Doc Eldar story, it's a stand-alone)

As always, if you have any specific feedback, I'd be happy to hear it. I actually went back and edited #9 very slightly, fixed a couple of instances where the inquisition team referred to Doc Eldar as "he" instead of "it," and added a line at the end explaining how the lights went out so fortuitously - I'd meant to include that line originally, and then just forgot to write it when I actually got to the end, whoooops.

Arcsquad, if you want to post your material or link to it, I can read it and give feedback.

And if any of you have characters you'd like to see as part of the inquisitorial retinue in the next piece, let me know, I really enjoy working with audience requests in my writing. I don't need detailed descriptions, the characters will only play minor roles, but it's fun for me :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'd be interested in how you'd write a Blank. Maybe a blank techpriest, who fervently believes in the Omnissiah. Or a blank assassin cultist who fervently believes in the Emperor. Not an Eversor or anything, just a person who happens to be good at killing people and doesn't have a soul.

Darwins_Foot
Sep 24, 2007
*Stomp*

Kylaer posted:

Thank you all, glad you enjoyed the piece! I have created Word document files with each of the stories and hosted them on Mediafire, is that suitable? Let me know what they think, thank you. Here they are:

Perhaps I'm screwing it up, but these are absolutely impossible to download. 1 in 30 times I can get them on my google drive, but after two I'm giving up. IE won't play dice either, it just downloads a copy of the mediafire webpage with the download button for some reason...

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Actual Horus Heresy content will be available soon, just not directly from Black Library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgBv6Rxilo

quote:

Talisman: The Horus Heresy is a digital board game based on the Talisman rule system and set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, during the cataclysmic events of the Horus Heresy.

Up to four players will be able to take control of one or more of the galaxy’s greatest heroes or most notorious villains. Taking the side of either traitor or loyalist, these Warlords will form vast companies of Space Marines, battalions of tanks and battlefleets of Spacecraft. They are the most powerful beings in the Galaxy and their followers are legion.

The new combative team play will appeal to fans of Talisman and the Horus Heresy alike. It’s a unique adaptation of Talisman that has been tailored specifically for digital platforms.

In Talisman: The Horus Heresy the player’s experience of Talisman is scaled up exponentially, exploring not a kingdom but a whole galaxy in the 31st Millennium. No longer will you be fighting for the Crown of Command, but for the very future of humanity…
Features:

Command one of the eighteen Space Marine Legions that fought during the Horus Heresy
Play as one of eight of the galaxy’s greatest heroes or most notorious villains such as Robute Guilliman or Angron
Multiplayer modes for up to 4 players
Challenge your friends locally and online
Play against AI opponents

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
...so it's Relic, basically.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Darwins_Foot posted:

Perhaps I'm screwing it up, but these are absolutely impossible to download. 1 in 30 times I can get them on my google drive, but after two I'm giving up. IE won't play dice either, it just downloads a copy of the mediafire webpage with the download button for some reason...

Huh, I have no idea what's wrong there, it seems to work for me on both Firefox and IE. If you've got a suggestion for another place to upload them, though, I can do that, no problem.

Peztopiary posted:

I'd be interested in how you'd write a Blank. Maybe a blank techpriest, who fervently believes in the Omnissiah. Or a blank assassin cultist who fervently believes in the Emperor. Not an Eversor or anything, just a person who happens to be good at killing people and doesn't have a soul.

Hmm...you know, I think I could do something interesting with that, thanks. I think it'd be a stand-alone story, though, like Stillness, it's too distinct a concept to work into a Doc Eldar piece.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, if anyone is interested in tearing apart my efforts (please do), here's a link to my stories.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7951905/1/Daredevils-Meridian

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Does anyone remember the Vendoland's super guard powers or are they just plain old boring guardsmen?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Klaus88 posted:

Does anyone remember the Vendoland's super guard powers or are they just plain old boring guardsmen?

Far as I can tell from Dawn of War 2, they're just bog standard Guardsmen with a couple of Stormtrooper detachments.

Darwins_Foot
Sep 24, 2007
*Stomp*

Kylaer posted:

Huh, I have no idea what's wrong there, it seems to work for me on both Firefox and IE. If you've got a suggestion for another place to upload them, though, I can do that, no problem.

Good question, I'm no expert on filesharing.

My immediate thought was to just use a personal site with free sharing like google drive or dropbox (using PDFs instead of .doc), but perhaps you'd want to keep stuff separate from your personal accounts. In that case though, creating separate gmail accounts doesn't take that long.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion? =)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Picked up Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns recently... man, even when you know to expect the "wet leopard growl" it's still a hell of a thing when you encounter it in the wild for the first time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Far as I can tell from Dawn of War 2, they're just bog standard Guardsmen with a couple of Stormtrooper detachments.

And some ogryns, but that's about it.

I always did wonder why the Guardsmen in DoW2 were called the Vendolands and not a regiment actually raised from Calderis, Typhon Primaris, or Meridian.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

And some ogryns, but that's about it.

I always did wonder why the Guardsmen in DoW2 were called the Vendolands and not a regiment actually raised from Calderis, Typhon Primaris, or Meridian.

Typhon just doesn't have the numbers to justify having an Guard regiment (less than 200 000). Meridian does have its own Imperial Guard, Governor Vandis's troops, and they turn traitor. As for Calderis, I dunno. Space Marine recruiting worlds can have tithe exemptions right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Typhon just doesn't have the numbers to justify having an Guard regiment (less than 200 000). Meridian does have its own Imperial Guard, Governor Vandis's troops, and they turn traitor. As for Calderis, I dunno. Space Marine recruiting worlds can have tithe exemptions right?

Typhon and Meridian are also Space Marine recruiting worlds.

I dunno, I just thought it was odd. I wonder what the Imperial Guard does with regiments from planets that have been subjected to Exterminatus like any units from Cyrene or feral-world regiments from Typhon.

...Probably nothing good, come to think of it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just assumed that they would be absorbed in the next availble regiment. Then again that may be the same reasoning as the aquaman farm.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

PantsOptional posted:

Picked up Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns recently... man, even when you know to expect the "wet leopard growl" it's still a hell of a thing when you encounter it in the wild for the first time.

To be fair, you probably notice it more when you're expecting it. I only noticed it during the latter half of the book my first time through, but on a re-read a few years later, it was like whoa :stare:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cythereal posted:

I wonder what the Imperial Guard does with regiments from planets that have been subjected to Exterminatus like any units from Cyrene or feral-world regiments from Typhon.

...Probably nothing good, come to think of it.

Gaunts Ghosts is the answer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gaunts Ghosts is the answer.
One meatgrinder after another. By the time the news of the heresy catches up with the existing regiments they're probably already all dead.

So just another day in the Guard really.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've read the Night Lords Omnibus, most of Eisenhorn, and some of Gaunt's Ghosts, but I just realized I haven't read any from the perspective of loyalist Marines. Is there anything good on that?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've read the Night Lords Omnibus, most of Eisenhorn, and some of Gaunt's Ghosts, but I just realized I haven't read any from the perspective of loyalist Marines. Is there anything good on that?

Helsreach

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They just released the Armageddon, it has Helsreach and it's follow up short story.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you wanna go Heresy, Know No Fear is the way to go. It's better if you read First Heretic and Betrayer though, which are also awesome books about bad guys from Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

This suggestion sparked an idea, so I took it and hammered out a little story from it. It's probably not what you expected. I titled it "Of Faith."

quote:

Afternoon, cardinal. Good to see you. I'll bet you're thinking otherwise - it's okay, I have that effect on people. Nobody's ever happy to sit down and talk with me, been treated that way my whole life. But thank you for coming to listen to me. I'm half surprised to see someone as far up the hierarchy as you, but I guess it makes sense...I was told you had clearance to hear anything I might have to say, so I needn't censor myself, and they wouldn't grant that to a novice.

No, I'm not here to confess, not exactly. Well, maybe at the end, if I think of something, but I confessed not long ago. Something else on my mind. Something else on my soul? Funny you should say that.

I just got back from a campaign on Kelthias. You may not have heard much about it; minor world, government got overthrown a few years ago by a rival faction. They didn't stop paying their tithes, so the change of government got ignored for a while. At least, until trading ships started coming back with reports that the situation planetside was getting out of hand; ongoing civil war, crew vanishing on shore leave in much higher than expected numbers...the last set of reports described mass graves you could see as you brought in a cargo lander. That was when the Guard got deployed.

Kelthias wasn't my first campaign, although it was my first of that scale. I went into the military young, it's traditional in my family. Of course, it's not traditional to actually stay and make a career of it. My father got out of the academy and spent five years as a junior logistics officer, my grandfather did the same in communications, then rotated out and went on to comfortable bureaucrat jobs. Maybe it was because I never got along with people real well, but I got stubborn when it was my turn. Decided I would go for the front line, put my name on the list for the most challenging training they had.

You've probably heard this kind of story before, arrogant kid from an easy background, thinks he's hard, tries to prove it, gets his nose broken and backs down. Well, I got my nose broken - twice - and lost a couple of teeth which earned me these fine Guard-issue steel implants that now fill out my smile, but I never backed down. The training was every bit as tough as they claimed it would be; I lost the teeth when I face-planted coming off a fast rope onto broken terrain in pitch darkness, but I completed the objective. Plenty of the others did fall out, ended up in second-rate assignments. I graduated the academy with full honors and was commissioned as a lieutenant in the 224th Rihak Regulars, a new-formed regiment of six thousand troops. I was in the forward recon detachment. Ending up in forward recon wasn't by accident, either - it was an open secret that those detachments were the best place to be if you had your eye on the real prize. The Shock Companies. Yeah, that's what I wanted, that 1st Shock shoulder flash on my uniform.

I didn't make 1st Shock. I led my recon platoon for four years, and I made it clear to everyone under my command what my ambition was. I wanted people who shared the same goal, and I found them. My platoon became a lightning rod for troopers in the 224th who wanted to join the elite, and who showed the skill and determination to realize that goal. The captain in charge of recon said he'd permit it as long as it didn't lead to problems between my platoon and the others. And so, every assignment we received, my troops and I went at it with a vengeance.

There weren't a whole lot of real operations conducted during the first three years. A few peacekeeping missions that mostly involved riot control for planets undergoing unrest. Lots of time spent training, working with planetary defense forces to help them better approximate real Guard. So Kelthias was the first real shooting war the 224th got to experience.

Kelthias...it was ugly. Civil wars are the messiest sort, the academy taught, and I saw it in action there. It may have started as a targeted action to depose the standing government, according to the briefings, but it spread quickly to encompass all levels of society. By the time the Guard arrived, neither side was showing any regard for the concept of "non-combatants."

There was no orbital bombardment when the fleet arrived - there was nothing discrete to target. No fortress installations, no accumulations of war material that could be identified and struck from above. We were briefed that the campaign would require a thorough occupation, locking down city by city and block by block. We expected it to be like one of our previous peacekeeping operations, written large. But it wasn't like that.

You've really got clearance, right? Just wanted to be sure. The truth is, as the fighting had worsened on Kelthias, the Ruinous Powers had crept into the conflict. It wasn't a situation where the entire populace of the planet worshipped darkness, but it wasn't limited to just one side. There were covens and cults riddling both major factions, and even the boundaries of those factions were eroding by the time we arrived, into the onset of a real free-for-all catastrophe. My platoon came across things...I've seen with my own eyes locations where human sacrifice was performed, and walked among the bodies of fallen fighters who had been subjected to ritual mutilation after death.

So, as you might guess, the Kelthians didn't lay down their arms quietly. The factions still fought each other, but they fought us, too. My platoon took losses, good soldiers all, but not many. We got off light compared to the rest of the 224th. I figured the relative lack of casualties we experienced was due to the fact that we were, no false modesty, the sharpest unit in the regiment. But as I just learned...there's more to it than that.

There was something on Kelthias, some kind of miasma. Not a physical pestilence, none of the testing ever showed chem or biowarfare agents being used, but something in the mind, in the soul. The priests we had with the regiment said it was the spiritual fallout from the dark acts that were being committed. It weighed the soldiers down, kept them from sleeping, seemed to slow the healing of wounds. All the significant casualties started getting evacuated up to the troopships in orbit, once enough reports got generated by the field hospitals of just how worse they were doing planetside. The priests held around-the-clock prayer sessions in every encampment, and I attended as many of these as I could. The miasma seemed to have no hold on me, I slept as well as I ever did, and I was convinced that it was my faith that did it. I encouraged all my troops to spend as much time in prayer as they could, when we weren't out on missions, and it seemed to work - the performance of my platoon remained the highest in the regiment, even months into the conflict.

And then came the day that Lord General D'Alquis joined us for one of our regimental briefings.

I'd seen him on broadcasts and read his dispatches to the troops, of course, but never been near to him in person. Lieutenants, even well-regarded ones, don't cross paths with high command staff often. So there I was, sitting on a polymer folding chair in the back of the briefing hall in the midst of the other junior officers, when he and his entourage took the speaking platform up front. He gave a speech, praising our accomplishments and specifically naming an impressive number of them, including a couple that were the work of my own platoon, which was a nice touch. But I was a little distracted from what he said. He had brought his senior advisers with him, and one of those was a tame psyker, an elderly woman who carried a rune-carved staff. From the moment she climbed the platform, her eyes sought me out, and she would not stop staring. Right at me! I don't think she even blinked. And no sooner had D'Alquis finished his speech than there she was, tugging on his sleeve and saying something into his ear.

Two days later, I was relieved of command of my platoon. I received new orders saying that I was being given a special assignment of indefinite duration, and to not expect to return to the 224th. That didn't sit well with my troops, or with me, but what choice did I have? The orders were straight from D'Alquis himself. And so I got shuttled up to a ship due to depart on a supply run, and left Kelthias behind.

I'm sure you can guess the kind of individual who I ended up meeting once I arrived. If you take confessions from that bunch, you've probably heard things I don't even want to imagine.

This is what they told me, cardinal. I'm sort of the...opposite...of a psyker. Where I go, I block out the Warp. That's why I never suffered from the miasma on Kelthias, and being in close proximity to me is why it didn't have as strong an effect on my platoon. The one I was talking to, just before I came to see you, he told me he's a psyker, and when he looks at somebody with his witch-sight, he sees kind of a, a glow from their soul. Psykers have a different glow than normal folk. Looking at me, he said he saw a blot, a darkness he couldn't see into, couldn't see through. He was uncomfortable being close to me because of it, and he said even normal people would have a little uneasy feeling being around me - they know something's different, something's wrong inside me. That's what you felt when I walked in, right? Everybody does, and now I know why. In spite of all that, he said I should consider myself blessed, because it's a powerful thing and I'll be a great asset in the fight against the Ruinous Powers.

But what does it mean for me, cardinal? He just told me I don't have a soul, or maybe that I have some kind of anti-soul. I've never been afraid of being dead. Dying - there're a lot of bad ways to go. God-Emperor grant that when it's my time, I don't go by fire. Burning is horrible, I've seen it. Being right next to a big shell going off, that'd be nice and quick, that's what I always thought. But being dead? No, no fear there. Like I was taught ever since I was little, there's the Astronomican, and that's the God-Emperor's light shining across the whole galaxy. And when you die, if you've lived a faithful life, that light will reach out and guide your soul until you've reached His presence. And all the souls of the faithful will bask in the light forevermore, and know only joy. And I believed it - I still believe it! The troops I lost on Kelthias, every one of them had faith, and I know the light shines upon their souls now.

But me? When I die, will the light be able to find me? Or will I drift forever in my blot - deaf, blind, alone, for eternity? Will I even exist at all?

I'm scared, cardinal. More scared than the first time I met enemy fire. Because back then, I knew that the worst thing that could happen to me would be pain, and that on the other side of the pain...everything would be alright. But now I don't know what's the worst that can happen. I still have faith - I'm just not sure if it still applies to me any more. Do you have an answer, sir, of what will happen to me?

(I give credit for this piece to Dan Abnett's very clever discussion in one of the Ravenor books, about how you can define faith when the object of your faith is an inarguable fact; I wanted to take the other tack, and explore how you can define doubt in the same circumstances)

One day, I swear, I will write something other than first person stories :v: Not far in the future, honestly, once I finish the next Doc Eldar piece I've got another idea that I want to work on, and that will be told from the third person perspective.

Still asking for suggestions on characters who could be part of the inquisitor's retinue for the next piece, too, if anyone is interested in contributing.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
That was nice. It was what I was expecting.Only being able to experience Chaos second hand would probably lead to questioning of the Empire as well, so to me the person who makes a choice with no chance of reward is an interesting character.

Maybe the Inquisitor has a Kroot mercenary?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Doc Eldar 1
Doc Eldar 2
Doc Eldar 3
Doc Eldar 4
Doc Eldar 5
Doc Eldar 6
Doc Eldar 7
Doc Eldar 8
Doc Eldar 9

As always, if you have any specific feedback, I'd be happy to hear it. I actually went back and edited #9 very slightly, fixed a couple of instances where the inquisition team referred to Doc Eldar as "he" instead of "it," and added a line at the end explaining how the lights went out so fortuitously - I'd meant to include that line originally, and then just forgot to write it when I actually got to the end, whoooops.

Arcsquad, if you want to post your material or link to it, I can read it and give feedback.

And if any of you have characters you'd like to see as part of the inquisitorial retinue in the next piece, let me know, I really enjoy working with audience requests in my writing. I don't need detailed descriptions, the characters will only play minor roles, but it's fun for me :buddy:

A bit late here, but I just read Stillness and really loved it, you're a very talented at describing visuals!

I've been meaning to try my own hand at some 40K stories, and people like you inspire me to think its worth doing :)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
You totally should! Writing is always worth doing, it's fun and I think it keeps your mind sharp. I like writing in the 40K setting because it's well established and gives me lots of starting points for stories, while still being broad enough to accommodate tremendous variety. If I really wanted to become a for-real writer I'd do stuff from scratch, but I have no ambitions of doing this professionally so I'll just stick to what I enjoy.

Arcsquad, I've started reading your material but I have not gotten very far into it yet, I will have commentary when I'm further along.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kylaer posted:

Arcsquad, I've started reading your material but I have not gotten very far into it yet, I will have commentary when I'm further along.

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I'm also working on a standalone, piece, as you inspired me to get some different writing done. It's done from a limited perspective of a slave captured in an Iron Warriors raid. I always found their use of cannon fodder armies fascinating and creepy, so I wanted to write from the perspective of one in that position. What would life entail for a slave living under the abuse of the Iron Warriors before being thrown into the corpse piles wearing down enemy fortifications.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

drat, Kylaer. You're on fire.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kylaer posted:

Doc Eldar 1
Doc Eldar 2
Doc Eldar 3
Doc Eldar 4
Doc Eldar 5
Doc Eldar 6
Doc Eldar 7
Doc Eldar 8
Doc Eldar 9

Now work this up into a novel and discreetly advertise it on here. I'll slip you :10bux: for it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I Am Slaughter is out today I think

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Now work this up into a novel and discreetly advertise it on here. I'll slip you :10bux: for it

Or cleverly switch out the 40k references for *generic sci-fi* terms and self publish it on Amazon!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm really glad that you think my work is worth paying for, but honestly, I already have a real job that I love, and I think I'd get less enjoyment from writing as a hobby if I were trying to get paid for it.

I've started the next Doc Eldar piece, and when that one is done I have plans for a new story, which will be longer and have distinct chapters.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are any Age of Sigmar books worth reading? I'm considering getting into it and I wanted to know the setting.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are any Age of Sigmar books worth reading? I'm considering getting into it and I wanted to know the setting.

No and the setting and models are a garbage fire. Spend your money on nice things like a meal for a loved one, home insurance or literally anything else.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I read an excerpt from one and it read like the back of a He-Man action figure. There's an Age of Sigmar Primer if you want to read that and introduce yourself to the setting but it may only be an ebook.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Why you do this to yourself? It would be less painful to pluck your eyes, or read Battle for the Abyss.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Age of Sigmar and everything involved is poop from a butt.

Except for this:
[quote]
Ur-gold
Always believe in Ur-self
Ur-indestructable
[\quote]

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mowglis Haircut posted:

No and the setting and models are a garbage fire. Spend your money on nice things like a meal for a loved one, home insurance or literally anything else.

There's also the "throw money into a fire" option.

Wait, this is a thread about GW products. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's always been about a 50/50 chance that if you buy some GW stuff "now" that it'll be worth "way more than what you paid for it" in about twenty years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well I saw Valedor while browsing around my local bookstore, and bought it on impulse because I've enjoyed a couple of Guy Haley's other works.

I was a bit skeptical because I've heard so much crap about the Path series re: Eldar books, but I honestly really enjoyed this one. It feels a lot like what Helsreach is to the Space Marines; a book that pretty much encompasses what the faction is about, was entertaining in some way or another the whole way through, and was an overall satisfying read.

It's got a couple different craftworlds coming together and recognizing the differences of their themes and goals, as well as Dark Eldar and Harlqeuins coming in to help prevent the merging of two Tyranid hive fleets; their perspectives on the Great Devourer are pretty interesting, and takes a different view than they usually get in Space Marine/Imperial Guard books.

Plus, Haley manages to capture the complicated subtleties of Eldar behavior without getting carried away with it or getting that pretentious feel that a lot of Eldar fluff seems to thrive on. Well, the Dark Eldar are pretty pretentious, but it's very obviously intentional, as it's only natural that even their closest cousin species immediately want to smack their faces off from the moment they first appear.

While the battle sections were enjoyable, I personally liked the way that life within the craftworlds were depicted, especially from Iyanden's perspective, being thoroughly depopulated following a series of attacks that have left them largely dependent on large numbers of their dead placed into wraithknights and such. The idea that all the trauma the craftworld has suffered has caused their craftworld's Infinity Circuit to grow restless with the furious dead (who constantly manifest their will throughout the craftworld) is an interesting one, and Haley managed to really capture the literary potential of that concept despite all the other stuff going on.

The only time that I got briefly knocked out of my reading groove was during some of the eldar's poetic, long-winded names for certain things. Most of the time those helped add to the flavor of the book and acted as a reminder that these guys think of the galaxy in pretty different ways, but there were definitely a few "This thing was called so-and-so in the latest eldar codex so now the author now has to call it that" moments.

And I don't know if I was just in A Mood when I read the last few chapters or what, but one of the protagonist's experiences got me a little teary-eyed at the end, and no 40k novel has done that for me until now. Haley really did a good job there conveying and humanizing just how much it would suck to be an Eldar in these times, what with all the cruel necessities of their current existence and all.

So tldr: picked up an Eldar book that I didn't know was out because the author isn't horrible, and ended up really enjoying it. Guy Haley seems to write Eldar/Tyranid pretty well, would recommend.