Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

6 mana for the first time you use that effect is a ton... It also doesn't protect itself. I don't think it gets there in standard.

Adding "protect itself" to the list of things 3 mana creatures need to do to be standard playable is moving the goalposts. You might as well argue Monastery Mentor sucks because it doesn't automatically counter Doom Blade.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Adding "protect itself" to the list of things 3 mana creatures need to do sounds like moving the goalposts

The point is that you if you don't have 6 mana when you play it, it does nothing.

Mentor takes over the game if you play it with any hand at all. It's completely different.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

The point is that you if you don't have 6 mana when you play it, it does nothing.

Mentor takes over the game if you play it with any hand at all. It's completely different.

If you cast mentor on-curve it dies to removal having accomplished nothing, just like Flickerdrazi.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Flickerdrazi is the best name.

Also, this is hilarious with Wingmate Roc too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you cast mentor on-curve it dies to removal having accomplished nothing, just like Flickerdrazi.

To be fair (sigh), mentor isnt really played in standard

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

6 mana for the first time you use that effect is a ton... It also doesn't protect itself. I don't think it gets there in standard.

the worst case scenario for this card is that your opponent kills it the moment it goes down with a 2 mana kill spell and you lose a net of one mana on the exchange

that's really not that bad of a worst-case scenario

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a midrange dude in possession of good lifegain must be in want of a resto.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

If Mentor were good it would be really, really, format definingly good.

They were aware of that and sculpted basically every instant, sorcery, and miscellaneous card that could get played with it around that.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

the worst case scenario for this card is that your opponent kills it the moment it goes down with a 2 mana kill spell and you lose a net of one mana on the exchange

that's really not that bad of a worst-case scenario

Especially since it isn't vulnerable to Ultimate Price or the rare Valorous Stance they probably have to use a sorcery speed kill spell or burn some graveyard for a cheap Cut

That's a perfectly fine worst case scenario tbh. I also like that it's a must kill for dragons since they can't actually hit you with Ojutai as long as it is sitting around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It is now.... It's still a ton easier to trigger than this guy is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11185&d=263578&f=ST

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, this is sweet

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Mentor were good it would be really, really, format definingly good.

They were aware of that and sculpted basically every instant, sorcery, and miscellaneous card that could get played with it around that.

i don't agree with mcmagic, i merely think the argument other guy made was weak

mcmagic posted:

well now idk wtf

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
McMagics goalposts are odd. Regardless I think this is a good card that has many uses. If one of those same uses is "Eat a murderous cut so my rhino next turn doesn't" that's a drat good use of 3 mana. And that's if you just jam it turn 3. Dropping it turn 6 with a rhino in play is broken. After that turn it's just "attack. Main phase two bounce my rhino twice. 12 point swing WHEEE"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know if Junk is the best place for this card since you'd have to rejigger your manabase to run 8 painlands, which could be a problem in certain matchups and still might not be sufficient. I think that's good enough to test though and also think it might fit somewhere else

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather just win with mastery of the unseen and some combination of flickerdrazi, brood monitor, zulaport cutthroat, and/or dragonlord atarka.

I think you can also flicker manifested oaths into play?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

I don't know if Junk is the best place for this card since you'd have to rejigger your manabase to run 8 painlands, which could be a problem in certain matchups and still might not be sufficient. I think that's good enough to test though and also think it might fit somewhere else

It depends on if the next 5 battle lands come out, mana bases will be modern good for the next 3 months of that's the case.

I don't think it will slot right in but there could easily be a rhino/btl/something deck that can be built around this utilization. I think it fits easily into Eldrazi Ramp as a way to machine gun everything with Atarka.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tbh the thing I want to flicker with flickerdrazi is new man-o-war but I'm super high on that card(I even think it could see play in Modern under the right circumstances)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

McMagics goalposts are odd. Regardless I think this is a good card that has many uses. If one of those same uses is "Eat a murderous cut so my rhino next turn doesn't" that's a drat good use of 3 mana. And that's if you just jam it turn 3. Dropping it turn 6 with a rhino in play is broken. After that turn it's just "attack. Main phase two bounce my rhino twice. 12 point swing WHEEE"

I'd rather cast a mentor + Painful truths for 6 than play this dude and flicker a rhino. Or play a Mastery and Activate it. Or play a dragonmaster outcast with countermagic up. Or a number of other things...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11185&d=263578&f=ST

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, this is sweet

$800 for a standard deck. Christ sake.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It depends on if the next 5 battle lands come out, mana bases will be modern good for the next 3 months of that's the case.

I don't think it will slot right in but there could easily be a rhino/btl/something deck that can be built around this utilization. I think it fits easily into Eldrazi Ramp as a way to machine gun everything with Atarka.

My guess the new inni set will have the checklands. I loving love checklands in standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's probably some broken things you can do with it (maybe even consistently), but to me it seems too slow/inefficient to dick around with semi-fair things. Of course, new cards could change that assessment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it's not gonna be played in vintage, let's not go crazy

I tried really hard to come up with a goofy set of cards to get a turn 0 kill with this but the best I can do involves a really complicated series of events involving Omnscience, Mind Over Matter, Archivist and Laboratory Maniac and it doesn't really utilize the Eldrazi that well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

it's not gonna be played in vintage, let's not go crazy

Channel + this + Thragtusk = infinite life/mana/tokens :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Channel + this + Thragtusk = infinite life/mana/tokens :getin:

Eat a dick splinter twin.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It depends on if the next 5 battle lands come out,

They aren't. If they were, they'd be expeditions, and we already know all 20 expeditions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I thought we were supposed to get some good equipment?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So this is what we get. Comically bad Flame Slash that becomes a bad Flame Slash if you cast another spell first.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
is bone saw worth playing to enable surge? Notable in that clutch of tentacles returns bone saw to your hand when it resolves.

Obviously everflowing Chalice would be better but I mean they're probably never reprinting that given how they feel about ramp at 2cmc so :v:.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

So this is what we get. Comically bad Flame Slash that becomes a bad Flame Slash if you cast another spell first.

You'll probably play the first two every time in draft, I suppose

it has the ineffable stench of a limited card about it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

You'll probably play the first two every time in draft, I suppose

it has the ineffable stench of a limited card about it

There is no way this is worth a card in limited.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

There is no way this is worth a card in limited.

I was responding to the guy talking about boulder salvo, not the equipment

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's a reprint, in case anyone has experience from Conflux limited. (Bone Saw)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

I was responding to the guy talking about boulder salvo, not the equipment

Oh my mistake. That is probably limited playable though I won't be happy to play it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Oh my mistake. That is probably limited playable though I won't be happy to play it.

this sort of 5 mana removal is just what we get these days</sutcliffe>

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Nerf Storm is underwhelming. Was pyromancer's Ascension too good?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite part about the "if you cast your second spell this turn" cards is that the rewards for doing it are mediocre as poo poo.

3R: "Did you play two spells in the deck that generally has no cards left on turn 5? Yes? Shock something. Wooooo."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

The deck featuring Pyromancer's Ascension has been nerfed into oblivion so that kind of answers the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Terrible Horse posted:

It was getting too consistent t3 kills

• Locked thread