Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Steve2911 posted:

What confuses me is how she was popular enough (at age 14) to be elected queen of the planet, but none of the planets inhabitants know what she looks like well enough to tell the difference. Or know her name apparently.
Term-limited ceremonial monarch now that's a good trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Nessus posted:

Natalie Portman in that sweater in AOTC. :tem:

What is gained by making the change that you describe? Leia (and Luke) are of space-royal birth- this is an established fact in the OT, what is added by changing it around? You reduce the transgressive power of having Leia and Han hook up and that's about it.

I remember Curtis Saxon's page speculated that part of why Sheev so feared Luke once he knew he existed is because Anakin's child with Pandabear would have been able to claim to be a legitimate heir of the last monarch and could, potentially, boss him around.

Leia is adopted by Alderaaaanian royalty. Not sure where luke is ever called royalty?

I'm not asking what's added by removing it. I'm asking what's changed by adding it?

Portman/Padme still gets with the child. Queen/Knightley still takes a bullet.

Literally don't have the reveal. What changes?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed that Naberrie was the invented name and Amidala was her true name honestly. Isn't she called Amidala in later films?

You take on a new name when elected Monarch of Naboo. Her original name isn't a secret, it's just less common. It's more like the pope than Madonna.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed that Naberrie was the invented name and Amidala was her true name honestly. Isn't she called Amidala in later films?

Nope, all her family we meet on Naboo are called Naberrie. She may keep the name Amidala as a title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You take on a new name when elected Monarch of Naboo. Her original name isn't a secret, it's just less common. It's more like the pope than Madonna.

Yeah but even once she leaves the Queenhood she still goes by Amidala. The opening crawl of AotC calls her Senator Amidala.

Edit: Honestly all of this would make more sense if Padme was just her invented name but that isn't the case.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DARPA posted:

Padme/Portman still gets to jet around the galaxy. Hang out with jedi, storm the castle. Earn respect of her people in battle and get elected senator for helping capture the viceroys. The "real" queen can still take a bullet to the gut. No loss there. Making Padme also be the queen adds what?

The queen persona is the subtext of Padme's character. Though she pretends to be a humble 'woman of the people' who mingles with slaves and whatnot, she is actually insanely rich and powerful.

Anakin loves her for that power, while she loves Anakin out of pity. He's a charity case.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ImpAtom posted:

She's never a princess, a queen for the first film and a Senator thereafter.

Leia is at once a princess and a senator but never a queen since her family and planet explodes.

Oh, maybe I'm just getting mixed up with Princess Leia, then.

It would've made more sense if Padme Naberrie Amidala was a pop star on Naboo who was voted into office because of her Lady Gaga-like flamboyancy. Then the whole story would be how a corporation decides to try and take advantage of an entire planet by attempting to manipulate their Queen Britney Spears, but find out she's not an idiot. Then Jedi are involved because it's Star Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red posted:

Oh, maybe I'm just getting mixed up with Princess Leia, then.

It would've made more sense if Padme Naberrie Amidala was a pop star on Naboo who was voted into office because of her Lady Gaga-like flamboyancy. Then the whole story would be how a corporation decides to try and take advantage of an entire planet by attempting to manipulate their Queen Britney Spears, but find out she's not an idiot. Then Jedi are involved because it's Star Wars.

Macross Wars would probably not play so well outside of Japan.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The queen persona is the subtext of Padme's character. Though she pretends to be a humble 'woman of the people' who mingles with slaves and whatnot, she is actually insanely rich and powerful.

Anakin loves her for that power, while she loves Anakin out of pity. He's a charity case.

I will say, the parody videos did an excellent job of pointing out how Anakin stares at and tries to grope Padme. Is she slowly worn down by his advances, lonely, or afraid of him?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Red posted:

I will say, the parody videos did an excellent job of pointing out how Anakin stares at and tries to grope Padme. Is she slowly worn down by his advances, lonely, or afraid of him?
I took it as a mixture of "you're from outside of my bullshit life," "I'm making a decision that isn't very sensible because I am an over-stressed teenager," "this guy is handsome and kind but has an edge," and "I'm breaking a taboo with Jedi-riding." If they hadn't fear-bonded on Geonosis, why, they might never have married! Saving the galaxy and nullifying the OT.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Red posted:

It's because she tolerates him. As Anakin gets worse and worse, she says like "to be angry is to be human."

She just sees it as just the poor abused kid acting out.

Meanwhile, Anakin doesn't just crush Padme because he actually respects her power.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nessus posted:

I took it as a mixture of "you're from outside of my bullshit life," "I'm making a decision that isn't very sensible because I am an over-stressed teenager," "this guy is handsome and kind but has an edge," and "I'm breaking a taboo with Jedi-riding." If they hadn't fear-bonded on Geonosis, why, they might never have married! Saving the galaxy and nullifying the OT.

Non married couple can still gently caress and reproduce. Them being married changes nothing. What does marriage even mean in the Star Wars universe?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's because she tolerates him. As Anakin gets worse and worse, she says like "to be angry is to be human."

She just sees it as just the poor abused kid acting out.

Meanwhile, Anakin doesn't just crush Padme because he actually respects her power.

If that were the case, Lucas wouldn't give us the false pretense with rolling in the grass.

Steve2911 posted:

Non married couple can still gently caress and reproduce. Them being married changes nothing. What does marriage even mean in the Star Wars universe?

Just because George Lucas is unhappy doesn't mean his characters have to be, goddamn.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm curious if the confusing, dull shitshow that is Naboo Monarchy is an intentional jab at fans trying to understand the OT's vague and contradictory political structure.

Summoning Super Mecha Godzilla!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Red posted:

Why does she have to be "worn down"? Why couldn't her reticence just be that she doesn't think being together is a good idea like she literally says in the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really loved that in The Force Awakens, the lightsabers actually glowed. That looked great. Real great. Let's talk about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm curious if the confusing, dull shitshow that is Naboo Monarchy is an intentional jab at fans trying to understand the OT's vague and contradictory political structure.

Summoning Super Mecha Godzilla!

I am disappointed the shadow isn't that of a 50 foot tall mechanical robot.

CelticPredator posted:

I really loved that in The Force Awakens, the lightsabers actually glowed. That looked great. Real great. Let's talk about that.

I really liked how they looked honestly. They felt thick and solid in a satisfying way. A lot of people post shots form the Rebels/Clone Wars show and I frigging hate how lightsabers look in those.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They felt thick and solid in a satisfying way.

:hfive:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look, what can I say, I enjoy solid thick hot lightsabers. This is why I am not happy that a woman spent so much time with one. It left me confused.

Yes, I realized the awkwardness of that phrasing after I posted it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I like that the characters are fun to watch and root for (or against). Han Solo had an excellent exit to the franchise. It seems like they've set up some good rivalries for the future films as well. Rey/Kylo is the obvious one, but they'd be missing an excellent opportunity to not have Phasma seeking personal revenge on Finn for pantsing her. Complete with Brienne of Tarth windmill punches.

Also more Poe plz.

Agreed on appropriately phallic lightsabers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
After you watch this a few times and then go back to either the originals or the prequels the lightsaber fights stand out as being "off". I'd said earlier it's a "once you notice it you can't unsee it" ,because of it being a subtle thing during the entire fight.

The Force Awakens as pretty much the best lightsaber fights for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The colors when the two sabers clash are incredibly pretty.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

precision posted:

The prevailing theory is that she will be disgraced by her actions and spend the next movie or two on a personal mission to kill Finn. Which would be pretty interesting itt.

See I think that'd just be boring and kinda forced. If they had used her instead of the random stormtrooper or shown any sort of thing with her other than 'Easily giving up the codes to the base and then getting thrown into a trash compactor' it'd be different, but the way they used the character in TFA just doesn't really set up a good antagonist at all. I'd almost prefer if she were somehow working with the Resistance just because that way it wouldn't make her feel like a pushover who pretty much killed a shitton her comrades.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's most evident by the fact that when they clash and get really close up the light makes purple. Because Blue and Red make purple.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

It's most evident by the fact that when they clash and get really close up the light makes purple. Because Blue and Red make purple.

it was incredibly pretty.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing and was really a huge step up from the previous lightsaber battles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Well I suppose it hasn't been completely confirmed but typically marriage is seen as a permanent affirmation of love, as opposed to, say, an affair. A lot of what contributes to the tension in Anakin that leads to Vadering out is that his secret pregnant wife, who is also important will totally die according to his powerful Force visions. He's her husband even if it's in secret. He is strongly motivated to try and protect her from what he foresees. This is very different from having an affair, even an affair where Padme gets pregnant.

"I had an affair with a senator and she is having my children" seems as if it would be a scandal which would be a mark against Anakin's record and perhaps keep him off the Council for a few years. (I am sure he is not the only Jedi to have ever gotten his saber ignited.) "I secretly broke a major tenet of the Jedi Order and have no interest in amending that" is another factor.

e: I also imagine "having a secret Jedi husband" is also probably not that great for Padme's political career, especially if she is distracting a supernatural military officer and impeding a war effort. You'll note that Obi-wan, who I believe at that point did not clearly know about this situation, asks Padme if the children are Anakin's.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about who she might be... how old is Rey supposed to be, anyway? I'm guessing about 14. She looks it and she was playing the "put on the silly hat" game sitting next to her dead Walker watching the space ships blast off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Anakins prophetic dreams about Padme's death is also a huge dick move by the force, seeing as it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GORDON posted:

I was thinking about who she might be... how old is Rey supposed to be, anyway? I'm guessing about 14. She looks it and she was playing the "put on the silly hat" game sitting next to her dead Walker watching the space ships blast off.

She's supposed to be the exact same age as Luke was, so around 18-19. Remember we see Luke playing with a toy ship and poo poo too.

Demiurge4 posted:

Anakins prophetic dreams about Padme's death is also a huge dick move by the force, seeing as it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

The Force helps those who help themselves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GORDON posted:

I think Rey is supposed to be 19, while Kylo Ren is supposed to be about 29 or 30. Of course, Rey's been out in the wind and sun, while Kylo has his skin-preserving and moisturizing bad guy mask.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Also, if I was 19 again and had a Rebel helmet you better believe I'd put that thing on and chill with it from time to time.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Red posted:

Excuse me, but Han clearly calls him "kid" and farmboy, and Luke whines about power converters and plays with a toy spaceship. :colbert:

Well, I guess reading Luke as an actual kid makes Lelia's kiss scene even more subversive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Justin Godscock posted:

Also, if I was 19 again and had a Rebel helmet you better believe I'd put that thing on and chill with it from time to time.

If I was 40 and had a mortgage, 4 kids and ran a multinational corporation I'd put on my Rebel helmet as often as possible. And make pew pew noises.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

crowoutofcontext posted:

Well, I guess reading Luke as an actual kid makes Lelia's kiss scene even more subversive.

He was 18-19. So you can read him as a kid if you want.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DARPA posted:

I'm not asking what's added by removing it. I'm asking what's changed by adding it?

The unlikeliness of Anakin, a child slave from a backwater planet, one day rising up the ranks of the Jedi Knights to become a self-made General and marrying royalty does make his story more interesting and compelling.

Of course, it becomes a whole lot less interesting when he also is portrayed as a virgin birth Chosen One who may have been created by a Sith lord. Though personally I think the Plagueis story Palpatine told in Episode III only serves to inform the audience that the force is capable of creating life, not that Plagueis or Palpatine was literally Anakin's creator.

Demiurge4 posted:

With the above in mind, I don't think him becoming a Sith lord or Padme dying is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The force created him to bring balance, however when he was tested by fear and anger he gave into the darkside, and was only self-corrected into fulfilling his destiny of bringing balance by his son many years after.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 4, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Somebody has finally unlocked the most haunting mystery of the original trilogy.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Man I kinda forgot the poo poo about how Anakin was a virgin birth. Goddamn it Lucas.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gorelab posted:

Man I kinda forgot the poo poo about how Anakin was a virgin birth. Goddamn it Lucas.

I feel like, if Anakin found out he had a deadbeat dad, it would've supported his angst. But I guess his mom needed to be pure, so instead he's Space Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Red posted:

I feel like, if Anakin found out he had a deadbeat dad, it would've supported his angst. But I guess his mom needed to be pure, so instead he's Space Jesus.

Anakins drunk dad selling him to the Jedi for booze money and continuing to abuse his mother, causing him to return and murder the gently caress out of his dad when she dies, would be a legit cool way to fall to the dark side. It would also have helped if he'd manifested some more overt dark side powers to keep him tempted.

• Locked thread