Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hard mode in TiTS is clearly meant for new game +. It's a horrible slog if you're playing on hard on a fresh run, and it gets even worse as you go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

hard mode in TiTS is clearly meant for new game +. It's a horrible slog if you're playing on hard on a fresh run, and it gets even worse as you go on.

drat man, if Hard is already meant for NG+, what the hell is Nightmare for? Well, in any case, if the curve doesn't let up I guess I'll just restart on Normal. Wish there was some way to skip cutscenes though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Infinity Gaia posted:

drat man, if Hard is already meant for NG+, what the hell is Nightmare for? Well, in any case, if the curve doesn't let up I guess I'll just restart on Normal. Wish there was some way to skip cutscenes though.

The original versions of the Trails in the Sky games had no difficulty levels. The only available level was normal. Difficulty levels were quickly-and-dirtily implemented into the PSP ports by simply putting in an across-the-board modifier of all enemy stats without much regard for proper balance since it was just a way to make additional playthroughs in New Game+ more challenging. Heck, in FC, hard and nightmare were initially only available on subsequent playthroughs. I suppose people complained about that, so in SC (and the patched FC) they were available from the get-go. Things do get slightly easier after the prologue, but it's still a bit of a slog.

It wasn't until later games that Falcom started actually testing their difficulty levels to see how well they worked with fresh playthroughs.

Anyway, SC is more challenging than FC and normal isn't particularly easy. (but not insanely hard either) You're probably best off starting on normal. No skipping cutscenes, unfortunately, though you can get through them fairly quickly by holding down the cancel-button to skip text.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Infinity Gaia posted:

Masochism.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cold Steel: I bought the Sceptre Master quartz from George because it says it generates sepith on attacks. Is it worth leveling on a fast attacker? I was thinking Rean but Force is really goddamned good. I could see using it for a while to get some extra resources.

EDIT: on that note, is there a quicker way to level Quartz or is it just slow on purpose?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The resource that gave me the most trouble on my first playthrough was U-Material, not sepith, because I tried to always keep everyone's weapons upgraded. That was probably excessive. Scepter might be nice if you're not bothering much with U-Mat upgrades and you really hate grinding.

The master quartz are all slow to level up, but later quartz will start at higher than 1st level.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is Ys 2 the exact same thing as Ys 1? I kind of want to skip it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

Is Ys 2 the exact same thing as Ys 1? I kind of want to skip it.

Ys 2 has fire ball magic (and all the bosses are designed around it as a result) and it changes up some stuff for the better, and you kind of have to play it for the full story, but it's also longer and has an overall lesser quantity of Dogi.

You could just take a break for now and play it later if you want.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Oh, gameplay. Nevermind.

That said it's much, much more tightly designed, with more stuff to do in the world, more things you can do combat-wise. It's a much better take on what Ys I was trying to do.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 4, 2016

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Is there anyway of knowing where my characters will move to if they are not within attack range of a target? (Or in the case of ranged weapons, where the character will move to prior to attacking?) Or will they simple move up until they can't go any further/they become within range of their target?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you try and attack an out of range enemy they'll just move as close to it as they can. Ranged attackers will move as far as needed for the enemy to actually be in range of their attack before attacking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Is there anyway of knowing where my characters will move to if they are not within attack range of a target? (Or in the case of ranged weapons, where the character will move to prior to attacking?) Or will they simple move up until they can't go any further/they become within range of their target?

The first ring shows movement the second attack range.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Colonel posted:

Ys 2 has fire ball magic (and all the bosses are designed around it as a result) and it changes up some stuff for the better, and you kind of have to play it for the full story, but it's also longer and has an overall lesser quantity of Dogi.

You could just take a break for now and play it later if you want.

Yeah I'm going to take a break and come back to it, seems like the best thing to do really.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ToCS Ch. 2: It feels like I'm always broke. I can only barely afford to upgrade 3-4 weapons for my 5 party members. They're all still using default armor, even.

Is this normal? It just feels wierd there's a ton of shops with multiple items to buy and all I ever buy is the next tier of weapons in every new city.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah you're poor as poo poo in CS. I actually like it since it forces you to prioritize instead of just mindlessly buying new gear when it shows up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The good news is that characters upgrade themselves when they are separate from you so they'll never be too far behind the curve. Make sure to focus on Rean's weapons first and then whoever you plan to use regularly. (Probably Laura.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I only upgrade once the field study assignments have been made since people in the other group don't need anything

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

The good news is that characters upgrade themselves when they are separate from you so they'll never be too far behind the curve. Make sure to focus on Rean's weapons first and then whoever you plan to use regularly. (Probably Laura.)

Is there a point where you lose Laura? Because she and Rean are my primary linkers. She is real strong and good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Is there a point where you lose Laura? Because she and Rean are my primary linkers. She is real strong and good.

Every character will be separated from you at least briefly by going to other student assignments than Rean does.

Don't get really attached to any team you'll be swapping constantly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I had money troubles early on, but they went right away once everyone's orbment slots were fully opened. I never felt the need to make any quartz, so I could just trade in all my sepith whenever I found myself short.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Every character will be separated from you at least briefly by going to other student assignments than Rean does.

Don't get really attached to any team you'll be swapping constantly.

That's a bummer but I should have seen it coming. I'm in Chapter 2 now so it's not like i'm heavily invested but level 2 links seem pretty powerful compared to level 1.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

How important is saving CP for your S Craft folks? I'm in Chapter 2, and I'm almost afraid to use any of Rean and Laura's (Or in this case, Fie's) regular crafts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The man called M posted:

How important is saving CP for your S Craft folks? I'm in Chapter 2, and I'm almost afraid to use any of Rean and Laura's (Or in this case, Fie's) regular crafts.

Spam Rean's all day long. His Force master quartz gives you CP like nonstop on kills. Laura is a bit tougher but you should totally be using them.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

you get a couple characters that have CP restoring crafts to keep your early S. Crafters like Laura and Rean going

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Does Elliot's omelette trick still work for easy cash?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spam CP all day er'y day. Getting CP back is easy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The crafts are extremely useful in Cold Steel too, whereas in the sky games I found myself vastly more biased towards arts.

Also realtalk if Laura isn't in your party whenever you have the opportunity you weren't raised right and you parents are v disappointed in you.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erg posted:

you get a couple characters that have CP restoring crafts to keep your early S. Crafters like Laura and Rean going

Though you practically never get Alisa (the best for this) and Laura in the same party.

... actually, I think it straight up never happens past the very start, where you don't have the crafts yet anyway? I might be misremembering.

Zaggitz posted:

The crafts are extremely useful in Cold Steel too, whereas in the sky games I found myself vastly more biased towards arts.

Also realtalk if Laura isn't in your party whenever you have the opportunity you weren't raised right and you parents are v disappointed in you.

But Fie.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Though you practically never get Alisa (the best for this) and Laura in the same party.

... actually, I think it straight up never happens? I might be misremembering.

But Fie.

First field study mission from chapter one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Supremezero posted:

... actually, I think it straight up never happens? I might be misremembering.

You get them together in the very first field study, but I don't know if that configuration ever turns up again

I'm only on the second field study, so I don't know what they do with later groups to keep it interesting

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Brother, hear me out here.

Laura AND Fie.

It's the only way to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Brother, hear me out here.

Laura AND Fie.

It's the only way to play.

The plot does in fact back this up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My only real problem with CS' roster is that during the endgame I could never settle on a fourth party member after Rean Laura and Fie. IIRC i ended up settling for Gaius.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Machias gets really good support crafts

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Assuming you get Sara as a party member in CS2 she'll definitely take my 4th spot there unless Laura/Fie were nerfed or someone else got buffed.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The problem with Laura and Fie is that you then can't have both Machias and a caster (Alisa or Jusis, usually).

Cake Attack posted:

Machias gets really good support crafts

Machias gets good attacks. And very late a good craft.

The god of support crafts is Jusis (Alisa is goddess).

Zaggitz posted:

Assuming you get Sara as a party member in CS2 she'll definitely take my 4th spot there unless Laura/Fie were nerfed or someone else got buffed.

No she won't.

You get Towa.

I poo poo you not.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey thanks for this dude :cool:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm ok with this. but maybe tag that last part.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

I'm ok with this. but maybe tag that last part.

These were things Falcom told everyone before the game was out in Japan, so I don't know that they count as spoilers. But whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Supremezero posted:

These were things Falcom told everyone before the game was out in Japan, so I don't know that they count as spoilers. But whatever.

yeah but I wasn't reading Falcom press releases, I was reading a thread where most people spoil any plot points that come up in this or future games