Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Geisladisk posted:

The difference in dials honestly isn't all that great. The T-70 has the Tallon Roll, which is a gimmick that I've never seen used to much effect.

You aren't seeing TRolls performed well. If used correctly it is a vast improvement over the KTurn, and on par with a SLoop for "how useful it is after the initial firing run". It takes a little practice to get right, because it's not a maneuver you're used to making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

The T-70's dial is a hundred percent better than a B-wing's, and green dice add up faster the more you use them. Against TIE Fighters, you're going to earn back your points quick. B-wings melt under fire, T-70s can at least hope their dice roll hot.

Agreed. I still like Bwings but the dial is garbage, the 2k is predictable and easy to block and and it's too slow to effectively control range against TLTs.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Cobbsprite posted:

You aren't seeing TRolls performed well. If used correctly it is a vast improvement over the KTurn, and on par with a SLoop for "how useful it is after the initial firing run". It takes a little practice to get right, because it's not a maneuver you're used to making.

Not speaking from experience here, but I would think having your number of possible 180-degree inversion maneuvers go up from 1 to 3 would be great for avoiding blocks and just all-around flexibility. A standard k-turn is pretty predictable, and having your ship blocked on a red maneuver is a real kiss of death.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Geisladisk posted:

The difference in dials honestly isn't all that great. The T-70 has the Tallon Roll, which is a gimmick that I've never seen used to much effect. They have the same green maneuvers, they both have white turns. Against TIE Fighters, the T-70s 2 green are going to be much more useful than the B's 1 green, but against 3 dice attackers it doesn't matter as much. Against something like Soontir/Vader/Palp or TLTs, the difference between 2 and 1 green is only very rarely going to be more than 2 HP.

T-Rolls are incredible. Once again, I am new, but T-Rolls are literally a better version of K-Turns, and offer the ability to finagle yourself forward or backward a little after execution (which is why I prefer T-Rolls to S-Loops - more discretionary movement).

Panzeh posted:

The generic 24-point T-70 is not a primo jouster the way the B wing or the Rookie+IA+R2 are(they're both very similar in terms of jousting), and generally generics are good for their jousting ability more than anything else.

Poe Dameron is what makes the T-70 to me, its dial is nothing special, about average(the academy TIE has more broadly useful maneuvers).

I could not disagree more re: the generic TIE's dial versus the T-70's. I also have stopped jousting in general, as any Resistance/Rebellion list, because I just don't think jousting is all that beneficial to their army. This is, of course, hugely subjective, and given my newness to the game, likely flawed thinking.

Cobbsprite posted:

As someone who started with the TFA Core Set, I mistook T-Rolls as having been in the game from the get-go, and it was not until I looked through all the ship dials and then saw a YouTube video describing them as "new" that I realized what T-Rolls are - a straight buff to X-Wings. Very few people at the local shop have been using T-Rolls, even guys running Poe or T-70s in general, and I think some of that stems from people just not recognizing how good of a maneuver it is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
On the note of jousting or otherwise, how do you *avoid* jousting?

One of my biggest difficulties in this game is that I inevitably tend to spend the first three turns closing and taking fire to the face before I'm able to break off and start jockeying for flanking and rear positions. How do you get that first engagement to go in your favour?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

On the note of jousting or otherwise, how do you *avoid* jousting?

One of my biggest difficulties in this game is that I inevitably tend to spend the first three turns closing and taking fire to the face before I'm able to break off and start jockeying for flanking and rear positions. How do you get that first engagement to go in your favour?

For me it comes down to initial ship/obstacle placement and running ships that can move without necessarily flying directly at the enemy straight off. I'm not sure as to the relative skill level of the shop I go to, especially because they have a few "kiddie pool" players I generally mess with as of now (where they raffle prizes instead of traditional first/second/third place bids), but if someone is just flying straight at you to get the earliest possible target lock/shot off on you, it's relatively easy to stay out of the way of that, and perhaps this is why I love the T-Roll so much as a follow-up maneuver.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Step 1: have a fast list, one that has either lots of good maneuvers or boosts readily available, or both.

Step 2: set up asteroids to break up any formation that crosses them. Ideally in the middle of the board, may end up offset depending on your opponent

Step 3: deploy somewhat spread out, rather than all in one 'lane' across the board

Step 4: whatever ship your jousting opponent sets up across from runs away immediately turn 1. Pull a hard 1 or 2, and go sideways. Other ships go forwards

Step 5: profit

A bit oversimplified, but that's basically it. Offer them a target in deployment, then remove it. Assuming you are quicker than they are, you can repeat this when/if they divert to another target, turning it away, as the original turns back in. What your really want to happen is for them to be forced to break up or run over rocks right as you can bring in ships at an awkward angle to the blob.

Coincedentally, this is one of the reasons why TIE swarms are much more dangerous than Z95 swarms IMO. They're much more agile and harder to force apart.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Poe is incredible, but Ello Asty is by far my favorite T-70 pilot. He's just so drat fun and maneuverable. Here's the list I'm tinkering with right now

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Warden Squadron Pilot (23)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The idea is to give them no good targets to focus. Ello dodges everything via maneuverability, Poe can go into heavy regen, and the K-wing is beefier. If any get focused, the other two capitalize.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
It's a bit late, but I came in third in a ten person event in my little corner of the world. I just want to say that Agent Kallus is my hero, and helped keep Whisper alive through a lot of dumb crap. A++, would watch a tribute video to the best crew member ever.

My build was -

Whisper w. VI, Kallus, Advanced Cloaking Device, and Fire Control System
Commander Kenkirk w. Predator, Gunner, Isard, and Rebel Captive

I've seen a lot of aces locally, and Whisper has such a rough time versus them. Yet guys that wanted the initiative really badly were going for a 3 point bid (which was more than my normal 2 point bid,) or matching me, meaning I only got it about half the time anyways. Then we had PS 10 and 11 guys running around, which just screw with Whisper regardless of if I can determine initiative or not. I said to hell with it and moved Gunner to Kenkirk and put Agent Kallus on Whisper, figuring the extra defense when getting shot at while uncloaked (and the ability to take an Evade action and still have a little modification on the dice) would help keep me alive.

100% working as intended. Evade + Kallus meant I could generally soak two hits from my target, which was more than enough as long as I controlled range correctly. Against lower PS builds it was still pretty useful - picking Jonus out in a TIE Bomber list meant I could Barrel Roll behind him and still get some offensive modification. Kallus was great. Gunner also proved surprisingly great on Kenkirk - it's a lot of points with Predator, but it helped force out a lot of consistent damage on all kinds of ships.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

What's the feeling on an Oicunn bumper car build in the age of TLT? On the one hand having a battering ram seems like it might be a good way to get into the TLT's range 1 donut hole while still doing some damage, but low (in this case 'no') agility ships seem to have been obsoleted by the turret's constant plinking.

I'd like to get some more use out of my Decimator, but I don't want to waste my time if its just going to get mauled.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I'm off to play my first game against the "hardcore" X-Wing players at my shop. I have my XXA Resistance list that I have some confidence in, but my brother's Christmas present arrived today (a Millennium Falcon and another T-70) and now I want to try my new toy. :(

Hopefully they're as varied as the stuff I've read, and it isn't just a bunch of TIE swarms or something. The new-players pool of five/six people was pretty varied, but that was also "nobody has any clue what the gently caress they're doing" so we'll see.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Obama 2012 posted:

What's the feeling on an Oicunn bumper car build in the age of TLT? On the one hand having a battering ram seems like it might be a good way to get into the TLT's range 1 donut hole while still doing some damage, but low (in this case 'no') agility ships seem to have been obsoleted by the turret's constant plinking.

I'd like to get some more use out of my Decimator, but I don't want to waste my time if its just going to get mauled.

I've found TLTs versus the Decimator to be interesting. If you can kill, donut hole or block them enough, the reliable damage starts to be a penalty; when they get down to one TLT left and you have 10 hull remaining, they're far from melting you, they're guaranteed to take ten turns at a minimum to kill you. I was in that situation once, it was satisfying.

I didn't quite manage to bring it home, but it was satisfying.

Von Humboldt posted:

It's a bit late, but I came in third in a ten person event in my little corner of the world. I just want to say that Agent Kallus is my hero, and helped keep Whisper alive through a lot of dumb crap. A++, would watch a tribute video to the best crew member ever.

My build was -

Whisper w. VI, Kallus, Advanced Cloaking Device, and Fire Control System
Commander Kenkirk w. Predator, Gunner, Isard, and Rebel Captive

I've seen a lot of aces locally, and Whisper has such a rough time versus them. Yet guys that wanted the initiative really badly were going for a 3 point bid (which was more than my normal 2 point bid,) or matching me, meaning I only got it about half the time anyways. Then we had PS 10 and 11 guys running around, which just screw with Whisper regardless of if I can determine initiative or not. I said to hell with it and moved Gunner to Kenkirk and put Agent Kallus on Whisper, figuring the extra defense when getting shot at while uncloaked (and the ability to take an Evade action and still have a little modification on the dice) would help keep me alive.

100% working as intended. Evade + Kallus meant I could generally soak two hits from my target, which was more than enough as long as I controlled range correctly. Against lower PS builds it was still pretty useful - picking Jonus out in a TIE Bomber list meant I could Barrel Roll behind him and still get some offensive modification. Kallus was great. Gunner also proved surprisingly great on Kenkirk - it's a lot of points with Predator, but it helped force out a lot of consistent damage on all kinds of ships.
Kallus does sound good, but seems a little low-return against any kind of swarm or miniswarm list. If it weren't for him being in the Gozanti I'd be inlcined to replace my Intel Agent on Whisper with him, but gently caress buying a £50 ship for one goddamn card.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

I'm off to play my first game against the "hardcore" X-Wing players at my shop. I have my XXA Resistance list that I have some confidence in, but my brother's Christmas present arrived today (a Millennium Falcon and another T-70) and now I want to try my new toy. :(

Hopefully they're as varied as the stuff I've read, and it isn't just a bunch of TIE swarms or something. The new-players pool of five/six people was pretty varied, but that was also "nobody has any clue what the gently caress they're doing" so we'll see.

Unless it's a really weird group of players it should be pretty varied. There are no one or two lists that dominate anything at this point, so unless they pigeonholed themselves real bad you should see plenty of variety of good stuff.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Poe Damerons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Poes are super popular. There are at least two guys at my club right now running Poe/Ello/A generic T70. It's kind of irksome playing against them. I've won against the list a couple of times with my standard deciphantom, I'm basically just trying to up my skill level at the moment and they are good practice.

I'm looking at buying the Punisher, Bomber and Defender tomorrow and starting to practice on the post-Imp Vets list.

Is anyone else really wanting them to spoil Punishing One some more right now? I really, really want to see that dial.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Couldn't find it in the rules and curious to know:

In an "official" according-to-Hoyle competitive event, are ship maneuver profiles open knowledge? As in am I allowed to have a reference of them at the table like the ones that come in the clamshell... or is it like Heroclix where I'm expected to memorize dials?

As a huge moron, I would find the latter challenging.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

Couldn't find it in the rules and curious to know:

In an "official" according-to-Hoyle competitive event, are ship maneuver profiles open knowledge? As in am I allowed to have a reference of them at the table like the ones that come in the clamshell... or is it like Heroclix where I'm expected to memorize dials?

As a huge moron, I would find the latter challenging.

Dials are open knowledge; bring references if you want

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ConfusedUs posted:

Dials are open knowledge; bring references if you want

This came up in my first event, guy handed me a stack of reference cards he used normally.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have this long-standing problem where I get eaten alive by my dice. It came to a head over the holidays where I had a perfect Jake-to-Vader procket shot and rolled five banks, in addition to all the botched rolls I make normally.

Apart from running Han and TLTs, what can I do to minimize the amount of random chance affecting my game? Am I doomed to a life of accuracy correctors?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

grassy gnoll posted:

I have this long-standing problem where I get eaten alive by my dice. It came to a head over the holidays where I had a perfect Jake-to-Vader procket shot and rolled five banks, in addition to all the botched rolls I make normally.

Apart from running Han and TLTs, what can I do to minimize the amount of random chance affecting my game? Am I doomed to a life of accuracy correctors?

Come over to the Dark Side.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ouch. Maths tells me 5 blanks is a ~3% occurance. Are you sure this isn't confirmation bias?

Anyway...

Guidance Chimps? Sheev Quentin Palpatine? New dice?

E; f,b on Palpy, but seriously don't you want to bump a die over to an evade/crit, announce that everything is proceeding as you have forseen, and cackle maniacally?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Ojetor posted:

Come over to the Dark Side.

I have modified the dice. Pray I do not modify them any further.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Either this is confirmation bias, or you need to buy new dice. :)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you had an idea of the number of X-Wing players, and a (trivially easy, I guess) model of the distribution of distributions in rolling an attack die a few hundred times, I bet you could calculate how many players you'd expect to have abnormally high numbers of blanks.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

Poe + TLTs and Fat Han are the most variance-mitigating builds I've played.

Which didn't stop a focused, five-health Poe from dying to two three-dice attacks by rolling four blanks on four evade dice, but still.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

grassy gnoll posted:

Gunner, Palpatine, Predator, TIE Advanced title, TLT, Han...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

grassy gnoll posted:

If your monkey paw curse is that bad, maybe try building a list built entirely around every one of your ships getting focus/target lock (or its equivalent) every turn. Things like:

Keyan Farlander (29)
Push the Limit (3)

or

Corran Horn (37)
Fire Control System (2)

or

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire Control System (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Kyle Katarn (3)

or

Drea Rental (22)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

You get the idea. Maybe look into anything that lets you get auto rerolls as well (Predator, Poe Dameron, etc.). You get the idea.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ConfusedUs posted:

But...they all could? They have the target lock action.

There's always the chance that positioning means the enemy ace isn't in range when the test pilots move, but some decent piloting can fix that from happening of the time

Yes, it's true you could use the target lock action but then what is the point of the tracers?

Surely the idea was to get everyone a focus, target lock and evade every turn. The problem is you don't get the evade until after everyone above PS 2 has shot so in most cases it's useless.

It you do take a target lock as your action you get an evade from the title but then the tracers are useless because the title allows you to take a free evade action, not acquire a free evade token so you can't double up in a single turn.

If some of your ships have focused and some have target locked then your action efficiency plummets, suddenly when you choose to fire the tracers you are only benefiting a couple of ships while still dedicating a whole ship to the tracer missiles instead of damage.

So essentially you can take target locks as your action in which case why bother having the tracers at all, or you can focus as your action, then get a target lock and evade but only after everyone above PS 2 has already taken their shots. Anything less than all your ships focusing or barrel rolling significantly reduces the value of the tracers.

Unless of course all you care about is getting a target lock and focus on 2 red dice ships in which case I would suggest using tracers on z-95s because you can fit more in a list.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm obviously not the person to ask if it's confirmation bias, but it's to the point where others have remarked on my terrible rolling, so there's something there or my friends are being a hell of a lot more diplomatic than usual.

Will try the Palpmobile and or Poe and His Y-Wing Friends next time and report back. Thanks, everybody.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

alg posted:

Gunner, Palpatine, Predator, TIE Advanced title, TLT, Han...

Specifically Vader/Gunner in a Decimator. Don't care about rolling well to hit because I want to be vadering twice a round anyway. Don't care about rolling well in defence because... well, 0 agility.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Specifically Vader/Gunner in a Decimator. Don't care about rolling well to hit because I want to be vadering twice a round anyway. Don't care about rolling well in defence because... well, 0 agility.

Here's a variation on a gimmick build I posited a couple pages ago where you can do all kinds of nonsense without even caring how you roll.

"Wampa" (14)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Ruthlessness (3)
Gunner (5)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total: 100

Palpy can let Wampa deal a face down damage card every turn. Ram them with the Decimator, shoot something, hope you miss, vader a crit to it, gunnershoot it, maybe hit? Vader a second crit to it. Issard tries to keep it from going down too fast after Vader starts wrecking it for crits.

It's stupid and will lose, but at least you can almost entirely biff your rolls and still do damage.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Green dice exist to fail you; whenever you do get an evade, treat it like a pleasant surprise. Why yes I've lost Vader at R3 when he had a stealth device and was getting shot at through an asteroid, why do you ask? :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When I roll red or green dice I roll them like Blood Bowl dice. I just expect them to roll cold every time. On offence it forces me to try and think a few turns ahead and when my ships asplode I've already anticipated their asplosion. It's all very zen Jedi.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sigh. Wes and wedge. Range 1 shot with focus on an Academy pilot. 4 blanks for both. Academy then rolled three crit. Wes rolled 3 green blanks. My dice suuuuuuuck.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guidance Chimps are loving amazing. In two games I've gotten off all three of my torps in each game, rolled 24 dice, and gotten 16 crits and 8 hits on those dice (with Predator, mind. Still insane).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If we're going to relate our dice woes... (I think I posted this in the thread way back when)

Scene: Atlanta Regionals, 2013

It's the last round before the cut to top 8. I'm well out of the running but there's one match left. I'm flying Medium Han and Corran Horn, which was ballsy in 2013 if you ask me but anyway I digress.

I don't even remember what the guy I was up against was flying, but I remember he insisted on rolling his dice in one of those little dice tray receptacles. Which, okay, whatever, you do you, guy.

He then rolled 37 evades in a row.

37 individual green dice were rolled. All of them came up evades. I didn't even know what to do.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was going to look to trade for one or more Crack Shots ahead of Tomax Bren, but then I saw that they actually included the almost auto-include upgrade in the same expansion with him. Thanks, FFG.

I also feel like there might be some kind of hay to be made with "Cool Hand" with that dude, but maybe I'm just wrong.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Guidance Chimps are loving amazing. In two games I've gotten off all three of my torps in each game, rolled 24 dice, and gotten 16 crits and 8 hits on those dice (with Predator, mind. Still insane).

Played one game with some sweet proxy chimps. TIE Bombers are legit fun to run now. Major Rhymer dropping an advanced Proton Torpedos + crack shot resulted in slamming 5 hits into a Corran Horn, full health to death :getin:

EDIT: I feel like in general now it turns ordaninance ships into just incredible area deniers thanks the virtually garunteed max damage that can occur. I cant wait to get the new TIE Bomber pilot and crack shot all day.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Man, the mission that comes with the carrier looks really awesome. Part of the mission is about rebels hijacking the carrier and then using it (if they are successful) in the third mission. I really want to try it out.

Also, it's very tempting to put Vader on the carrier, since this is the first ship I have that'd actually make sense (not a small ship). I could take the 2 to my shields to crit an unshielded ship and then spend energy to revive my shields back.

Also, I don't think I quite get the point of allocating energy. You allocate it and then spend it right after, so why doesn't it just have you spend it from the pool on your ship?

I'm assuming the pink number is the "energy limit" (For example on Ionization Reactor), though I notice a lot of "Energy:" upgrades don't have a limit, so could I put more than the needed energy there?
I assume too though that energy on these cards still count towards the ship's energy limit, so there's not much point anyway, right?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

admanb posted:

Unless it's a really weird group of players it should be pretty varied. There are no one or two lists that dominate anything at this point, so unless they pigeonholed themselves real bad you should see plenty of variety of good stuff.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Poe Damerons.

So!

It was that about nine guys played Wangs at the shop, and fun was had. I ran two lists, primarily: Poe/"Red Ace"/Jake Farrell, and Poe/Han Solo. I'm still caught up in PTL/BB-8/IA Poe, so that was constant in both lists. My opponents in all three of my games lent me cards I'd want/need to finish my lists out, so I proxied nothing. What's more, I guess we get alt-art C-3PO next Saturday! :toot: That actually finishes my Han Solo/Poe Dameron list, so all I need now is for my second Core Set and TIE/fo to actually arrive in the mail, and then hold someone hostage until I'm given an Autothrusters. Please, someone give me Autothrusters.

I went 2-1 and the more I play the more I find myself having a blast with PTL Poe. Blocking me? No. Think you have your arc? Nope. Think I'll stay rammed by your shuttle? Ha ha!

I've already posted my T-70/T-70/A-Wing list before, but there it is again for reference. My other squad was something like this, which I remember being cited as fairly common as well, but it was fun! Engine Upgrade and PTL on Han Solo is super, super cool.

Things I noticed played against Big Kids:
- Initiative is pretty often yielded, seems like, where applicable. I'm used to taking it because I'm a moron, PTL/BB-8 Poe really, really wants to move as close to last as he can. I should have been yielding initiative much more often than I have been.
- Advanced Targeting Computer is loving busted and I hate it and askhdghakjsgd
- Everybody else already owns all the X-Wings (EDIT: seriously like everyone had every loving ship from every loving faction)

The T-Roll was still effectively taking people by surprise; I won my second game basically on the strength of the T-Roll on Poe and "Red Ace," because in neither of my XXA games did Jake do loving anything (and I'm more convinced than ever to shed him for a stressbot Y-Wing). I got some conflicting advice from a goony guy watching me play - that A-Wings never want Chardaan Refit and always want Proton Rockets, that Barrel Rolling with Poe on a green maneuver wasn't necessary, etc. - but other than him folks were really cool.

First game was XXA versus three TIE Advanced ships (Maarek, Juno, Vader) with Advanced Targeting Computer. gently caress that noise. I got wrecked. Dice betrayed me and Jake got obliterated in a single turn, which was awful. "Red Ace" died to withering fire slowly but surely. Poe killed Juno but couldn't beat two TIEs by himself. Game.

Second game I wanted the runback, still XXA versus TIE Advanced list, and I changed my strategy - loading up his side of the table with an asteroid cluster near the left-center and seeing where he placed his ships, then putting mine in such a way where I could try to flank or outfly him without having to fly AT his in-formation TIEs. Jake still was worthless, but Poe's arc-dodging (even at PS8, because I had initiative) helped me dispatch Vader very quickly. "Red Ace" did his job (rolling 3/4 dice, absorbing hits, running away) marvelously. Jake died and Red Ace was at 2 hull, but Poe was never damaged, and Vader's death basically ended the game for him.

Third game I played a guy who ran three (!!!) shuttles and Omega Leader with Comm Relay and Juke, and the shuttles had Intelligence Agents and poo poo. Against his list, I ran the Han/Poe team, and as soon as I saw his shuttles, I put all three of my asteroids in annoying, close-to-his-edge positions to force him to place his stuff in a cramped manner. His gameplan seemed to be "crash into ships, pile onto them, make them unable to move, Omega Leader then kills them." Han eventually got boxed in by the shuttles and dogpiled, but at that point I was just attacking Omega Leader with Han through the shuttles and with Poe; Han went down to one hull and so did Poe, but I killed Omega Leader and one of the shuttles in doing so and crippled the other two. That led to Poe being in perfect, you-cannot-escape range behind one of the shuttles, which given its dial was the kiss of death; and Han, at one hull, being chased by a shuttle with three. Then he revealed a red maneuver on the shuttle chasing Han even though it was stressed, so I had him steer away from Han and out of arc; and Han swept down near an asteroid to help finish off the higher-health shuttle near Poe and stay alive for one more turn. At one hull, I was basically in suicide mode on Han, using him to just deal as much damage as possible before his inevitable death.

Han did eventually die (crashing into an asteroid, RIP), but Poe with PTL/BB-8 was way too much for the shuttles to handle. Yeah, 21 points for a large ship with 3 dice, but you can never hit me, man. I felt like I was going to win the moment Omega Leader died.

Here's some questions I have, because the guy I played actually did not know.
- Can C-3PO beat Omega Leader? It says to guess, then "before modifying dice" you add an Evade result, but the goon told me that adding die is modifying dice and so it can't happen. The card is worded strangely if so, but I ceded the point and did not "guess" when OL was shooting Han after a target lock.
- Debris is different from asteroids? Is there, like, a strategy to where I should be trying to get debris instead of asteroids with certain lists? That completely took me by surprise to have him shooting while overlapping. It was weird.

Anyway it was a blast and I think I might just run PTL/BB-8/IA Poe + Obese Solo forever, it was awesome to play against players who seemed competent.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo that 3xShuttle-Omega Leader list sounds hilarious.

Anyway, on to your questions.

1. Yes, O'Leader stops C3P0. Adding results is done in the Modify Dice step (there's an actual order of operations here) and that's what Omega Leader stops. He also stops Advanced Targeting Computer and Accuracy Corrector. Against O'Leader, if he has you locked, what you roll is what you get.

O'Leader is a total rear end in a top hat. If he had a 3-dice primary weapon, he'd be a contender for the strongest ship in the game. But with a 2-die primary, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

2. Debris is different from asteroids. Here's how they work.
-You get a stress when you through them.
-You roll, and take a crit if you roll a crit. Otherwise, no damage.
-You can shoot when on them during the combat phase.

Debris is really good for a few lists. Swarms love debris; they'll totally fly right through debris rather than splitting the swarm. Shuttles love them because shuttles are space cows that can't turn. Dash Rendar loves debris because he totally ignores them. With asteroids he doesn't take any damage but still can't shoot if he stops on one.

• Locked thread