Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

The Nastier Nate posted:

I watched Border Town and let me just say, I unironically miss The Cleveland Show.

Same. Wildly underrrated show especially given the current state of Family Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regardless of other shows quality, Cleveland was still crap.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What can anyone tell me about Murder One? It's about 20 years old but the descriptions of it I've found talking about how it was ultra-serialised and ended up needing these really long "previously on" segments so people could follow it makes it sound like it might have been a bit ahead of its time in that regard.

It's totally legit and was way ahead of its time. There was a second season where the format went more traditional but the first season still holds up to this day. I remember people being glued to it at the time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I watched Border Town and let me just say, I unironically miss The Cleveland Show.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Same. Wildly underrrated show especially given the current state of Family Guy.

Why would you wax nostalgic about terrible poo poo shows that are maybe not as bad as other terrible poo poo shows when there has never been as much good television available as there is now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow, Sense8 is so unrealistic. In the first episode, a black child pulls a gun on a white cop and the white cop just stares at him

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blue squares posted:

Wow, Sense8 is so unrealistic. In the first episode, a black child pulls a gun on a white cop and the white cop just stares at him

In Chicago no less.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

raditts posted:

Why would you wax nostalgic about terrible poo poo shows that are maybe not as bad as other terrible poo poo shows when there has never been as much good television available as there is now

American Dad is the best thing Seth McFarlane has ever put his name on and I feel I owe it to him to at least give his shows a fair shake. AD started off rocky as well, but no where near as bad as border town.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I really, really like that show, but everything about that cops cop story is the worst thing in the entire show. The show is pretty and unsubtle in most of its messages, but the police poo poo is beyond hamfisted.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Seth Macfarlane hasn't had an active hand in Fox's shows for ages; he simply uses his clout at Fox to get his friends' shows produced by attaching his name as a producer (just like how the Cosmos reboot happened because Seth pushed to get it made). Bordertown is Mark Hentemann's show (and has the same eye-searingly ugly art style as his previous show, 3 South).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Starting Terriers. Pretty great so far. Donal Logue is fantastic as always.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Snak posted:

Starting Terriers. Pretty great so far. Donal Logue is fantastic as always.

People always say they wish this show had another season, but I'm kind of glad it didn't. It ended on such a perfect note.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whoever said it was like Veronica Mars but with 45 year old deadbeat as the lead was spot-on. But in a good way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This thread needs a new title

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Couch Chat: The Already 2016 Edition

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Couch Chat: Countdown To 2017 Edition

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's taken me like a month to get to e7 of Jessica Jones, and the climactic scene... god, what a disappointment. The dialogue was unbelievably bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How are your cats?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress you all I'm watching the hundred

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It turns into a fun show after a few episodes. Everyone bitches about the pilot and yeah it's bad and teen.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The pilot was ok.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Got time to watch the pilot of BBCs War and peace. Holy crap that was great. I'm going to write up an OP for a thread, even if I haven't read the book, people should watch this miniseries, the production values, man, I wish game of thrones could do half as good for their once-a-season battles.

Edit: Really good. New thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758871

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 5, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oooooohhhh what the gently caress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As a reminder, Shannara premiers tonight so we'll see if it's more or less cheesy than Legend of the Seeker.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

As a reminder, Shannara premiers tonight so we'll see if it's more or less cheesy than Legend of the Seeker.

I'll take the over

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

The preview i saw looked like they're playing it serious, which should be hilarious.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 5, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Everything I've read about it says the first episode is a huge info dump.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Everything I've read about it says the first episode is a huge info dump.

The key to good storytelling, right here. Stamp out plot-holes before they start! /s.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C and they never give anything a low grade.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Always Sunny season 10 just Netflix and wow, we're finally at the point where half hour shows are 20 minutes long with credits.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Sleeveless posted:

Always Sunny season 10 just Netflix and wow, we're finally at the point where half hour shows are 20 minutes long with credits.

22 minutes has been the bog standard for half hour shows for as long as I can remember.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

22 minutes has been the bog standard for half hour shows for as long as I can remember.

Yes, this is why it's surprising to see them down to 20.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Shannara Chronicles is Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, responsible for Smallville and Into the Badlands.

Just FYI.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I look forward to contrarian goons crowning it as far, far better than GoT ever was.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Yes, this is why it's surprising to see them down to 20.

I really enjoyed Season 10, but the pacing did seem different compared to earlier seasons. It feels like they cut material from the cold opens. For me, it's most noticeable in "The Gang Group Dates" and "Psycho Pete Returns", both openings feel incredibly short compared to earlier episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix, in conjunction with DreamWorks, is going to be launching a Trollhunter series based on del Toro's book series and a Voltron adaptation.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/dreamworks-animation-guillermo-del-toro-trollhunters-voltron-netflix-1201672250/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I look forward to contrarian goons crowning it as far, far better than GoT ever was.

Well story-wise, that won't be hard. GoT is a loving paragon of production value, including makeup and costuming, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Great. The last Del Toro book adaptation we got was The Strain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm starting to think that I just flat out don't like Del Toro's stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His Spanish Civil War horror movie and Pan's Labyrinth, another Spanish Civil War horror movie were his best. Then it all went downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that he should just stick to art direction and creature design. I don't think his strength is in story-telling.

• Locked thread