Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Selane posted:

For the races, this isn't GTA so you can cheat all you want to win. Get used to using the ram ability, but later on you get (gameplay, but not story spoilers)some ridiculous spy car with gatling cannons and a literal EMP built into it so you can use that to cheat your way through.
Disappointed to hear how GTA has progressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Is there anything for Saints Row: Gat out of Hell?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, hell definitely isn't a place you want to be, so... I'd suggest getting out of there as soon as possible.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Supeerme posted:

Is there anything for Saints Row: Gat out of Hell?

It's an open-world game, so go exploring. Fly around and grab soul clusters. Look in your quest log, see which quests unlock stuff you want, and do them. Try out all the powers and boost the ones you like most.

Save up 100,000 and buy the Greed SMGs. They shoot diamonds.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Shadowrun: Hong Kong? I've played the previous entries in the series.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Xander77 posted:

Anything for Shadowrun: Hong Kong? I've played the previous entries in the series.
Party members are a shaman, a decker, a sniper rifle/assault rifle guy, a rigger, and a sword guy, if you want to be non-redundant with companions. I went in as a pure mage and had fun.

Charisma is, as always, important if you want to talk your way through things. You can buy fetishes for it at the magic shop and just keep them in your inventory for a permanent increase.

Money is, in general, much tighter than in Dragonfall. Spend wisely.

Koschei (Racter's drone) can be built for melee or ranged, but it would be best not to be wishy-washy about it. Go all in on either saws or lasers imo.

Bring Gobbet along on the feng shui mission, you won't regret it. Similarly, if you have Gaichu, he is hilarious at the movie producer mission and can do something plot relevant.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
For Fallout 4 just wanted to add to what's on the wiki:

- The Local Leader perk (Cha 6) allows you to establish supply lines between settlements and is handy because it lets you access networked workshop stashes for the purposes of building/crafting.
- As long as all settlements are connected in some way any settlement enjoys the resources of the whole network. Any given settlement only really needs one supply line if you plan it right.
- Assigning a settler to a supply line turns them into a provisioner which travels between settlements yet counts against the population limit of their "home settlement". Provisioners are currently difficult to keep track of and/or reassign.
- Accordingly, it is more efficient to have an inward flowing spoke-to-hub mode for supply lines. It is better to have a provisioner based in each settlement linking back to your main home base (either Sanctuary Hills or perhaps The Castle if you pursue the Minutemen quest line). Having your main base be populated entirely with provisioners means less security guards and farmers.
- Decide on your home base early on for the above reason. A more central location means less wasted time fast traveling (or waiting around after fast traveling) but the passage of time isn't much of a factor in general. Sanctuary Hills is a pretty decent choice given it is spacious and has unmoveable NPCs anyway.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

It's been a really long time since I played last and as such there have been lots of changes. Anyone got anything for the Long Dark?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything for Darkest Dungeon? In particular, any gear I should make sure to take before going into the dungeon? Also, is there anyway to use skills outside of combat, but still in the dungeon, like to heal my party?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything for Darkest Dungeon? In particular, any gear I should make sure to take before going into the dungeon? Also, is there anyway to use skills outside of combat, but still in the dungeon, like to heal my party?

First and foremost: don't be afraid to disband your dudes. New guys are free, healing ailments is not. The Darkest dungeon thread will repeat this to any and all newcomers, and for a good reason.

As for healing outside of combat, there's not much you can do. Food heals you teensy tiny bit, but don't ever rely on it as a healing item unless you're forced to. Your characters can heal themselves or each other during camping if they have the right camping skills. Camping is risky, as you can get ambushed and end up in a worse shape than before.

You don't have to take anything when you embark on a mission, but you should take at least a bunch of torches and some food. I usually bring 8 of both, but some minmaxer doofus can probably tell you the optimal amount. You shouldn't listen to any of that poo poo and just do whatever you drat well please. That being said, you'll probably get more out of the game if you just go, get your poo poo kicked in real hard and learn from that. Learning from your mistakes is part of the fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Picked up Dex and Ori and the Blind Forest on Steam recently. Anything for either of them (aside from the usual metroidvania stuff for Ori like "if this place seems out-of-reach, you'll probably be able to get an upgrade for it later etc stuff)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first two dungeon areas in Ori will become inaccessible once you get to the end, which will be fairly obvious. The second also locks off a short section leading up to it. There's also an area where you get the key to the second dungeon which has areas you can't come back to. So basically, you can miss a bunch of stuff, including health and magic containers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Healing in this game is designed to not be able to keep up with the damage you'll be taking. The best form of healing is to prevent damage. That's not to say healing isn't useful, it super is, but if you're in the first round of combat and there's four enemies on the board, you will almost always end up healthier if you use your healers to attack and stun enemies rather than to heal. Also be careful not to be seduced by the big numbers that come from AoE attacks. If you're facing two enemies, dealing 15 damage and killing one enemy is better than dealing 20 damage spread over 2 enemies, and then getting attacked by both of them.

If you stick an enemy with Blight or Bleed damage, they will take the damage at the beginning of their turn, so if an enemy is taking 4 hp/turn from bleeding, and the enemy has 4 hp left, you can ignore that enemy because it will die before it can attack you. This rule might not apply if there is an enemy healer that might act before the bleeding foe dies, but there are very very few enemies in the game that can heal.

Weapon upgrades are more important than armor upgrades, because better weapons increase your speed and accuracy. Speed is the most powerful stat in the game.

You don't need to upgrade both the Abbey and the Bar right away, they both do the same thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm not far into the game but I can spread some tips~

- It bears repeating: if one of your nerds goes mad or picks up a nasty quirk (-SPD, -HP, maybe -dodge are what I consider especially bad) and you haven't already upgraded them significantly, fire their asses or get them killed on a suicide run for loot. You're not there to be nice and keep them all alive, you're there to be efficient. That's the biggest mental hurdle for most players to get past
- If one of your guys goes bonkers mid dungeon but your others are still okay, that's not a sign to retreat. Remember, these fuckers, especially as you're starting out, are expendable, and as long as one person makes it out, you get to keep allll the money
- First things first as far as upgrades, get the stage coach to bringing 4 people a week, and maybe upgrade your capacity once so you can have a good spread of A and B listers
- In the Tavern and Abbey, try to get the Bar and Cloister respectively to two slots first, 'cos those are the cheapest stress relief options out of the gate
- Far as the guild and blacksmith go, I like unlocking skills on anyone I'm taking into the dungeon, but I don't upgrade anyone's skills or weapons/armor until they're at resolve 2 (or resolve 1 with really good quirks, like a Leper with Fated or something)
- On medium sojourns, consider camping earlier than your instinctive half-way; a lot of camp buffs are really good, even stuff as trivial as Scouting bonuses
- burn the books, eat the purple, douse the torch, hail xom :kheldragar:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

I think the math worked out (or at least it did months ago when I played this last) that the only random objects you want to gently caress with that you find in dungeons are the ones you need to burn items on. So walk right by most of that bullshit, but bring extra keys and blessing juice with you to use on shrines/chests/etc.

Of course if you've decided somebody's expendable....

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Thanks for all the Darkest Dungeon advice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Probably a weird one but is there anything I should know about Life is Strange before going into an otherwise blind run?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ryoshi posted:

Probably a weird one but is there anything I should know about Life is Strange before going into an otherwise blind run?

Take the time to look around Kate's room when you get the chance.

If something goes wrong with no visible way to fix it/avoid it, try rewinding time and doing it again. Forewarned is forearmed.

Your plant only needs to be watered once over the course of the game.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Life is Strange:

Pay attention to the little stuff people say, it's often relevant and may open new conversation options with other people-- or even with that same person, if you rewind. There'll be a chime and a visual sign if this is the case, but there's little pieces of relevant information that are just interesting, and these aren't marked.

Similarly, whenever you get a chance to be nosy and poke around someone's dorm room, snoop the hell out of it, and pay attention.

AVOID SPOILERS, don't even google puzzle solutions unless you have to, and then try to find a spoiler-free walkthrough. Half the fun of the game is the sucker punches it deals you.

If you miss collectibles like the photo spots you can find, don't sweat it; you can always go back from the main menu using the collectible mode, which lets you just wander around and shoot some cool-rear end photos without worrying about the plot.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Probably got mentioned before but anything for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D before I jump in?

Pretty sure advice for the Wii one more or less translates perfectly into the 3DS one.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone poked at Chroma Squad enough to have some tips. Especially on early email choices, or actor picks? Or totally obvious mechanics I haven't noticed yet.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

NT Plus posted:

Probably got mentioned before but anything for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D before I jump in?

Pretty sure advice for the Wii one more or less translates perfectly into the 3DS one.

It's pretty much the exact same game so all that advice will work fine.

The one thing i would recommend is that you shouldn't be afraid to change up your party. Shulk/Sharla/Reyn is a quintessential RPG party of Tank/DPS/Heals but it's hardly ever required to have a party like that in this game since 99% of your encounters aren't going to need a dedicated healer.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any info on Legend of Legacy? All I've heard is that it's similar to the old SaGa games, which tells me little as I never played them. Anything I need to know in advance so I don't screw myself over?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

NT Plus posted:

One of the characters you get later is very, very good if you control her directly, and somewhere between 'mediocre' and 'useless' if you leave her up to the AI's fickle whims. (All the characters are better under manual control to some degree, Melia just gets the worst of it.)

Agility is king, it controls your accuracy and evasion, and it doesn't matter what your attack is if you can't land a hit.

Learn your chain attacks, it's where you can stack hilarious damage and break/topple most monsters that resist it.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

After spending time with Tales of Zestiria, here are a few more tips to pad out the sparse page on the wiki.

- Do not be afraid of the main plot (gold star quests) in fear of missing content. While the game has sidequests (purple star), they are few and your travelling companion can always alert you to them, even ones in other cities. I suggest at least progressing the main plot until you unlock all four contextual elemental world map powers. They allow you to access new parts of the maps you travel through.
- Levels do not give you more max HP. You get more HP from Blessed Orbs (which also increases monster max HP, but you gain relatively more than they do) and Anomalous Orbs (which only increases your max HP). Blessed Orbs are gained from story boss fights. Anomalous Orbs are gained from optional bosses, found on the world map or at the end of side quests (they glow purple). The optional world map bosses are usually too hard to beat when you first meet them, so come back later. Just having the Orbs in your inventory is enough, they do not have to be used. You can also gain max HP and other stats from Herbs, but only small amounts.
- Herbs are permanent stat boosts. A character with Remedy Preparation on has a chance to produce any consumable you have ever found, including herbs. A single herb is never enough of a boost to notice, but they add up over the course of the game.
- The game makes a big deal about bonus skills, but at least for the non-endgame, the obtuse fusing system makes it impractical to try to go for specific combos. Use whatever gives you the best base stats, and simply consider any combos it happens to unlock a nice side bonus.
- Fusing is never explained properly. The short version is: More + on an item gives better stats. If you are using something and can fuse something into it, do it. If a fused item has a blue skill (sealed), you need to increase the equipment level by fighting a few battles to unlock it. If you fuse something with a blue skill, that skill will be removed (the stat bonus may still be worth it. You can always fuse another thing afterwards to get a new skill). The order you pick the two items to fuse doesn't matter.
- Some titles have a Max level (usually the red ones as far as I can tell). Pay attention to when you hit it, and switch to something else. That gives you several upgraded titles to choose from for later, if you need some specific buffs for a section.
- Leveling up equipment only does three things: Unlock any blue skills it may have, make fusing it cheaper and make it sell for a bit more. It does nothing for your stats.
- Battle Actions are nearly always something you want to turn on. Notable exceptions are the Auto skills (the computer tries to dodge, block etc for you) that you may want to handle yourself, and Aggressive Guard/Harmless Guard which are basically taunt/anti-taunt, so pick one. If you are diligent about reading monoliths, you should have plenty of AP.
- The keys to open Bronze/Silver/Gold chests are found by following the main plot.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Anything I ought to know about Steins;Gate on the Vita before I start?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Not really. It's a visual novel, but unlike Danganronpa or VLR, there's no real puzzles or anything to go through so it's a far more straightforward example of the genre. You can swap 'timelines' (routes) depending on how you answer emails and characters though, so play once just doing whatever you feel, then when you get to whatever ending, look up a guide and see how to get all the stuff you missed.

Just make sure you always have a bottle of Dr Pepper with you whenever you play. It's important for reasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Probably just that:

-At a few obvious points you can splinter off the main story and do a side character's ending. These are very short and contain no choices so you can blow through them in a matter of minutes, then presumably go back to your last save and continue on with the main story. Or just skip them outright as they are kind of superfluous.

-The main story itself has two regular endings, depending upon your interactions with Kurisu and Mayuri, and a "true" ending to wrap up the whole game that requires specific choices to be made throughout the game. While it is not impossible that you'd stumble upon this on your own you will probably need a guide. I'd play through the game normally doing whatever and then run through it again with a guide, it shouldn't take long since you can skip already read text.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Wicked, alright then, thank you both!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played through the entire game using a guide - one that just said which options to pick, and was pretty vague about the events that would occur as a result. Of course, I had already watched the series so I knew essentially what was going to happen, it was all the side stories and alternate endings that interested me (and some of them are...dang).

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Any tips on Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)? The girlfriend and I will be playing it shortly, so tips on classes and such would be helpful. Neither of us have ever played a Diablo game, but she loved gauntlet.

Edit: Added console of choice. Thanks for the tips!

SnipeShow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 6, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SnipeShow posted:

Any tips on Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition? The girlfriend and I will be playing it shortly, so tips on classes and such would be helpful. Neither of us have ever played a Diablo game, but she loved gauntlet.

You're playing on PC or Xbone/PS4 right? Last gen systems have never been patched so you should really get D3 on a current gen system.

- Normal difficulty is literally for people who have never played a video game before, bump it up to Hard at least.

- Save all the legendaries with special effects (orange text) that you find early on, at level 70 you can extract their bonuses using Kanai's Cube.

- Everybody plays through story mode exactly once because they have to, then moves on to Adventure Mode. If you're on PC and make a seasonal character you don't ever have to touch the story.

- Every class is cool + strong so you really can't go wrong there. Barb is the best for that punchmans feel, Wizard for peak anime.

- There's a new patch dropping in less than a week that will update a lot of gear and sets. The set changes are retroactive but normal legendaries won't be, just keep that in mind!

- While leveling, switch up skills often and just try to go with whatever drops for you. At max level though, you will need some kind of class set to take you into higher difficulties and greater rifts.

- Female Wiz has the best voice actress. Female DH and Male/Female Crusader also boss. Female Monk and Male Wiz are the absolute worst.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SnipeShow posted:

Any tips on Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition? The girlfriend and I will be playing it shortly, so tips on classes and such would be helpful. Neither of us have ever played a Diablo game, but she loved gauntlet.

All the classes are pretty fun and builds can be adjusted at any time (no permanent decisions) so you should be fine just picking whatever sounds fun and going to town.

Diablo 3 had a lot of issues at launch but patches (included in the ultimate evil edition) have massively improved it.

First thing first is just to play through the entire story mode to unlock adventure mode, which is more fun and what most people do in D3 after they've beaten the game. (You used to have to beat it 4 times but gently caress that)

The base difficulty is baby-easy. You'll unlock higher difficulties as you go, with the highest (torment 1-10) being locked until you finish the game. Difficulty is now independent of level so you can play Torment at level 1 or you can play Normal at level 60, and it will balance for your level. Higher difficulty sees increases in experience and gold dropped and magic item drop rates; however there will also be more monsters, tougher monsters, etc.

In general you want to find a nice happy medium on difficulty; as hard as you can handle while still pushing quickly through enemies. If you have to stop to run away all the time and heal, even if you aren't dying, you're probably progressing slowly, so dropping the difficulty may actually make you level faster, even though you lose XP bonuses. But playing on normal is usually boring-easy and you don't get much XP comparatively. Generally Hard and Master are the best difficulties to level on, Expert isn't a huge bump in XP over Hard so it usually isn't worth the difficulty increase unless you can go up to Master.

Just have fun and push to the end of the story at your own pace. Once you get to the end of the campaign on any difficulty at any level you'll unlock adventure mode which allows you to run around the game out-of-order doing quests instead of just the stupid loving story.

Oh yeah, prepare yourself. The story is really loving stupid. Past Diablo games had good story but this one does not. But no big deal, the game is about loot and it has loot.

Once you're max level you can look up what builds are especially good for your class, which sets to try to collect for good bonuses, how to craft this or that or whatever in the end-game. But for now just kinda have fun smashing things.

At any time equip pretty much whatever weapon gives you the most damage. Weapons with sockets in them are practically mandatory; at low level put the biggest ruby you can into the socket for raw damage, at high level use the biggest emerald you can for crit damage.

Otherwise mostly build your character for +Mainstat (Str/Dex/Int) with some +resist all and some +HP and +life on hit to stay alive. You'll get a feel for which stats are best as you go, in the early game you pretty much can't lose and you won't have a lot of gems or weapon options for awhile anyways.

exquisite tea posted:

- Female Wiz has the best voice actress. Female DH and Male/Female Crusader also boss. Female Monk and Male Wiz are the absolute worst.

EFB!

Also Fem Crusader beats Female Wizard for best voice. Its the loving Major from Ghost in the Shell. She's amazing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Fem Crusader beats Female Wizard for best voice. Its the loving Major from Ghost in the Shell. She's amazing.
Lies. Grey DeLisle is the smuggest and the best.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Another tip for Jade Empire if you're playing the Steam version. There's a pretty nasty bug in the game where the Steam overlay murders performance, whether you look at it or not. Turning it off makes the game run fine. Unfortunately this turns it off for all the other Steam games as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kruller posted:

Another tip for Jade Empire if you're playing the Steam version. There's a pretty nasty bug in the game where the Steam overlay murders performance, whether you look at it or not. Turning it off makes the game run fine. Unfortunately this turns it off for all the other Steam games as well.

You can enable or disable the overlay on a game by game basis. Right click on a game -> Properties.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tylana posted:

Anyone poked at Chroma Squad enough to have some tips. Especially on early email choices, or actor picks? Or totally obvious mechanics I haven't noticed yet.
* Movement is super important for getting the extra bonuses, and really hard to buff, so -Move is super hard to deal with. Think really, REALLY hard about using a low-move actor.
* Other than that, the most important stat is +Skill Regen, especially on your healer. Being able to use your best skill a turn sooner almost always tops out whatever other benefit you might have.
* The only items you ever really NEED to craft are your robot, the +Speed boots (which are good for the whole game on certain characters/builds) or the +Throw Range gloves for one or two missions. (The season finale where you have to damage the producer in the first turn, most notably.)
* You can craft other items, some of the weapons can be pretty decent, but you're under no compulsion to.
* Even then, don't waste money on crafting mats unless you have money to burn.
* Usually, by the time a five-episode contract with one marketing company ends, you've unlocked at least one better one. Use whichever suit your playstyle.
* If you really can't pick, flat money bonuses are good short-term choices, while things like +Fan Conversion and +Viewers are best for long-term planning.
* How you handle the Season 4 finale decides what your final season and ending are.
* Ending choice spoilers: For the Sixth Ranger ending, take out the boss before the minion, and let the minion join. For the Metal Heroes ending, take out the boss first, but don't let the minion join. For the Masked Rider ending, take out the minion first.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 7, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kruller posted:

Is this a recent bug or something that's likely to be fixed? The Steam Controller doesn't work right without the overlay and playing Jade Empire from bed on the big screen seems like it would be great.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jade Empire could use an update patch like KOTOR2 got, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Ryoshi posted:

Is this a recent bug or something that's likely to be fixed? The Steam Controller doesn't work right without the overlay and playing Jade Empire from bed on the big screen seems like it would be great.

There might be a fan patch out but there wasn't last year when I played it again. It's been present since it was released on Steam as far as I'm aware. There may be work arounds, but it was running at about 4fps until I turned off the overlay.