Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might give a leadership bonus to amphibious landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
It's probably been explained before but can someone explain the difference between the xAKL and AKL and other cargo ships? I seem to remember stuff about potential upgrades but I'm not clear on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YodaTFK posted:

It's probably been explained before but can someone explain the difference between the xAKL and AKL and other cargo ships? I seem to remember stuff about potential upgrades but I'm not clear on it.

Size.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Not quite. AKs are supposed to be transports built with military applications in mind whereas xAKs are civilian ships pressed into military service. So there are small AKs and big xAKs. The in-game impact is that at bases without docks, xAKs load and unload very slowly, whereas AKs/AKs can operate faster in an amphibious capacity. AKAs/APAs and the specialized landing craft types can load/unload amphibiously fastest of all.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

YodaTFK posted:

x means civilian, so xAKL would be a light freighter, xAK would be a normal freighter, AK would be a military freighter (typically high speed.) AP is a troop transport, xAP is a civilian liner

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

uPen posted:

x means civilian, so xAKL would be a light freighter, xAK would be a normal freighter, AK would be a military freighter (typically high speed.) AP is a troop transport, xAP is a civilian liner

See some of Grey's unfortunate attempts at shock attacks while trying to unload troops off of xAPs in the very first thread.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Will today be the first miss? :ohdear:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It looks like Grey Hunter has made another stratigic mistake in trying to pull off this day-by-day again. He defiantly won't make this update.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

CannonFodder posted:

Will today be the first miss? :ohdear:

By GH's time, it's already a miss, but there's always Hawaii time :v:

TildeATH posted:

It looks like Grey Hunter has made another stratigic mistake in trying to pull off this day-by-day again. He defiantly won't make this update.

:golfclap:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Generation Internet posted:

By GH's time, it's already a miss, but there's always Hawaii time :v:

:golfclap:
11 PM Hawaii time is 9AM in the UK, according to a time zone converter I found. He just has to post before going to work in the morning.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YodaTFK posted:

The x means you're not supposed to use them in any military capacity, just hauling freight into established ports.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Huh. No long and bloody battle this time it seems!

Allied forces cross into Canton.

The Singapore strikes continue.

Oh god, that's a lot of losses! Where are the fighters? They were here yesterday!

Looks like we're running out of targets. Well, good targets.

This is a good strike!

There are a couple of destroyers wandering around.

The Allies get the drop on a bomber formation who forget to take friends. The idiots.

More troops arrive at Iba – this is to try and stop the Americans from fleeing here from Clark Field.

Here we forget resting for more attacks – the Allies replace their fortifications, but it doesn't help them much. Again, ignore the number of casualties and focus on the units actually destroyed. We're taking lots of wounded, but not many killed.

The Allied bombardment shows that their Av has more than halved – one more day will shatter them.

Owch, a lot of plane losses today – I'm going to rest the bombers for a while and pull the KB back for refuelling, repairs and replacements.

At least we got a couple of ships?

I suck at surprise attacks it seems.

CannonFodder posted:

11 PM Hawaii time is 9AM in the UK, according to a time zone converter I found. He just has to post before going to work in the morning.

Yep its Hawaii time!
Sorry, got the inlaws around, and its screwing the hell out of my schedule.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there any weird minute features of this game that even the most grogiest of spergs don't understand?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any weird minute features of this game that even the most grogiest of spergs don't understand?

That tiny corner of Antarctica on the map. Why ?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CeeJee posted:

:shrug: Because?

What probably happened is that they coded how many hexes the map was before they started filling them in. This game being this game, of course any extra hex that has no real reason to be there has to match reality, because can you imagine the target audience's reaction otherwise?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

CeeJee posted:

So that Cthulhu has somewhere he can spawn units.

(Nevermind, that's Eniwetok).

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

But the scale of the map changes anyway, there's no way that projection can be consistent. India is tiny!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lenoon posted:

But the scale of the map changes anyway, there's no way that projection can be consistent. India is tiny!

The map is the thing that bugs me the most about this game. Its really hard to navigate. Even after playing the game for five years soild!

That said, I'm still enjoying it! which is amd seeing as I've put so much of my life into one game.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm still slightly surprised there's been no grey hunter War in the West game! Not that I don't love WITP - to the extent that I read through the old one about once a year while commuting - but I thought you'd be right on it!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've flirted with the idea of doing a WITW LP a couple times but it's a massive time commitment that I don't have, and it isn't a very good game to start with. The air war in itself is reason enough not to do one.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I was going to do one, but then the reviews came out, and I decided I had better things to spend my money on. If it was a reasonable price, then I might have taken the plunge, but not for the silly money Matrix are asking for.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

lenoon posted:

I'm still slightly surprised there's been no grey hunter War in the West game! Not that I don't love WITP - to the extent that I read through the old one about once a year while commuting - but I thought you'd be right on it!

Witw is a Bad Game.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CeeJee posted:

Wonder of you can land troops there.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Is there going to be an admiral's edition style reworking of WITW at some point?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another troop ship takes a hit.

The I-8's Captain is having a good day.

A really good day!

With no interesting air attacks, we skip to the afternoon sub attacks.

Some of our troops reach Chingsha, but they are ahead of the main party and take heavy losses.

The American's and their allies do not want to give up Clark's Field. They are down to 18AV after this attack though, so tomorrow should do it!

We begin work on taking Iba.

We are slowing down slightly, as men are marching and that takes an inordinately long time in this game.

The subs are carrying us it seems.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

lenoon posted:

Is there going to be an admiral's edition style reworking of WITW at some point?

If I remember right, Admirals Edition for WITP started as basically a user-created mod for the original game that was so popular and so ubiquitous that they just used it as a basis for a rerelease.

Could be making that up though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lenoon posted:

I'm not sure what the exact order of releases will be, but the series is going to come down to:

War in the East 2.0, using the WITW engine
North Africa/The Mediterranean 1940-1943, using the WITW engine (not sure if WITW's Torch expansion invalidates this)
The West Front 1940: Case Yellow, Case Red and a hypothetical Operation Sealion (and maybe Weserubung), using the WITW engine
Something to link all of these together into one game

Drone posted:

If I remember right, Admirals Edition for WITP started as basically a user-created mod for the original game that was so popular and so ubiquitous that they just used it as a basis for a rerelease.

Could be making that up though.

I'm not sure about it being a mod, but Admiral's Edition was developed by fans that licensed the original game. WITP not-AE was by Gary Grigsby, WITP:AE is by some outfit calling themselves Henderson Field that thought WITP wasn't quite detailed enough.

(the punchline is that there's a mod for WITP:AE called DaBabes which adds a shitton of researched smaller ships and craft because yet another group of people thought AE still wasn't quite detailed enough either)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

I was going to do one, but then the reviews came out, and I decided I had better things to spend my money on. If it was a reasonable price, then I might have taken the plunge, but not for the silly money Matrix are asking for.

Considering all of the sales that they get from people following your LPs, I'm surprised they don't just send you stuff for free.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something to link all of these together into one game.

A challenge for the groggiest of grogs.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 4, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Took the ship lead :toot:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My lucky ship had a lucky day, good on you I-8!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Unfortunately for you, two out of those 3 kills were I-18

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zeroisanumber posted:

(linking all of the European Theatre together)

A challenge for the groggiest of grogs.

gradenko_2000 posted:

(the punchline is that there's a mod for WITP:AE called DaBabes which adds a shitton of researched smaller ships and craft because yet another group of people thought AE still wasn't quite detailed enough either)
The groggiest of grogs will accept that challenge, except they are still finishing everything ever about the Pacific Theatre.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Xenoborg posted:

Unfortunately for you, two out of those 3 kills were I-18

curse you tiny phone screen!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Splode posted:

curse you tiny phone screen!

To your credit, Grey's commentary misled you!

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure what the exact order of releases will be, but the series is going to come down to:

......and a hypothetical Operation Sealion (and maybe Weserubung), using the WITW engine
Something to link all of these together into one game

Please scream when Operation Sealion is released! I have a vested interest: https://www.fredleander.com

fredleander fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 5, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We finish off a wounded duck.

Then hit a new ship.

The Americans are using their guns more now.

We see the Allies attacking us today.

Hey! We came out on top here!

Its a quiet day, have this as well.

Jeez guys, I think it may be dead!

We pick off another ship near Pearl.

We hit that enemy force once more. Those 1,200 lost squads are going to be very hard for the Chinese to replace quickly.

We lose ground at Changsha – these men shouldn't have outstripped the main force!

Clark Field is ours! The enemy takes heavy losses and is forced into retreat or ignoble surrender.

This run is defiantly going better! Today was a massive 772 point swing in our favour! We should be able to clear up the Philippines now, and the doom stack is rolling in China.

Glug, glug, glug.

Here is the plan in China – we're pushing for the big one! I want to free up troops for other regions!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is a lot of dead pixelsquads. The Aldebaran is the same AG we saw the other day, so she was probably already pretty hosed up before the two new torpedoes were even launched.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
So, if Grey take that base, what happens? No Chinese respawn?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
It may be Chungking he has to take to deal with the respawns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Three months from now, Chungking will become a battle that will make KIAfeng look like children's playtime. The best (?) part is that it won't be Grey's fault.