Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What about answer the call and also continue walking so Chloe doesn't get in the angriest 8 second argument of her life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Lol if you think Chloe is angry about standing around and not about Max giving anyone other than her the time of day

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Panzer Skank posted:

Another point I feel comes up a lot in conversations about this game: the choices aren't about what you think you would have done in this situation. We are not playing as ourselves. Max is a socially awkward, anxious dorky teen...

...a socially awkward teenager who makes friends with every other student and is able to navigate different social circles (even before she gained magic powers).

That said, I do think the game does a good job putting Queen Maxine's personality in most of the choices. The way she reacts to decisions fits wealth with her character, even the "tell/don't tell the police." I may have over-thought some of the choices, but in retrospect I could understand Max's outcome.

klafbang posted:

There's a bit of a disconnect between the player and Max here - the game tells us Chloe is our best friend, but we've got at least as much characterization of Kate with our choices. To Max it might be a choice between a childhood friend and a virtual stranger, but to the player it's the choice between a friend in need and Chloe.

Another problem comes with the fact that the game never addresses the fact that people change a lot in five years. Sure, the game notes that some things are different and Chloe has blue hair, but the developmental process during formative years for the two were completely separate. Chloe, for the most part, is another virtual stranger. Even if Chloe and Max were friends five years ago, their lives changed greatly since then.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mr. Highway posted:

Another problem comes with the fact that the game never addresses the fact that people change a lot in five years. Sure, the game notes that some things are different and Chloe has blue hair, but the developmental process during formative years for the two were completely separate. Chloe, for the most part, is another virtual stranger. Even if Chloe and Max were friends five years ago, their lives changed greatly since then.

And Chloe remembers how good things were 5 years ago and wants to get back to that. instead of the hell of disappointment she's in now. So she's trying to get Max to be her bestest one true friend again.

Also Teens are idiots rules apply.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Panzer Skank posted:

Here I grabbed some screens, she is Extremely Teen:

Yaaaaay!

Answer the drat phone, not only is it an (important?) symbolic action of independence and assertiveness by Max (and it seems like she's going to be need to be very assertive very soon) and boundary setting with Chloe over the new friendship, chances are petty events like this will ultimate pale compared to 'You're the only person who knows about my ability to rewind.' so there's not even a huge risk of annoying Chloe in the medium term because there is genuine evidence of there still being a unique, very cool bond between the two of them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goddamn Chloe, it's not Max's fault you get into a spat with your mom at the drop of a hat. I mean if you had stayed at the table and finished your breakfast you probably could have avoided that too.

I mean obviously she's more insecure than anything, but geez as a person surrounded by Chloes in my teen years it took a lot more than a few seconds chatting with someone else.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 31, 2015

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Mr. Highway posted:

...a socially awkward teenager who makes friends with every other student and is able to navigate different social circles (even before she gained magic powers).

This is explicitly not true. Max states a few times in her journal entries and even in the dialogue we've seen that she has a hard time making friends. Here's one example that even in Seattle she was pretty bad at it:

I never really found a groove with my classmates. (Or boys...) I'm lucky I have a couple great friends here.

We never actually get into Max's Seattle friends, other than the few pictures on the wall in her dorm room. I think it's safe we can assume they weren't even close enough to keep in touch with her after she's moved. It's never plainly stated but Max tries to use her powers to be better socially and come out of her shell (the closest we get is "You never talk, you just take photos." "That's why I'm talking to you now." with Juliet).

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's kinda weird how the game says "Max isn't outgoing", just so you can chat up every stranger and awkward teen you come across, most of the time without having to rewind at all. To be fair though, you'd probably be more confident too if you knew you could redo any conversation.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Panzer Skank posted:

This is explicitly not true. Max states a few times in her journal entries and even in the dialogue we've seen that she has a hard time making friends. Here's one example that even in Seattle she was pretty bad at it:

I never really found a groove with my classmates. (Or boys...) I'm lucky I have a couple great friends here.

We never actually get into Max's Seattle friends, other than the few pictures on the wall in her dorm room. I think it's safe we can assume they weren't even close enough to keep in touch with her after she's moved. It's never plainly stated but Max tries to use her powers to be better socially and come out of her shell (the closest we get is "You never talk, you just take photos." "That's why I'm talking to you now." with Juliet).

To be fair, Max's view of herself is negatively biased. She keeps undervaluing her achievements and engages in self-deprecating banter. Despite her own awkwardness very few students at the beginning of the game appear antagonistic toward her. Stoner sk8ers, Polo shirted jocks, and the romance novel reading sort-of-goth accept Max instead of carrying a prejudice based on previous examples of social awkwardness. The "You never talk" comment does show Max as an introvert, but with how the other characters react to Max, her social anxieties seem less severe than she thinks.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Panzer Skank posted:

We never actually get into Max's Seattle friends, other than the few pictures on the wall in her dorm room. I think it's safe we can assume they weren't even close enough to keep in touch with her after she's moved.

Given that she literally didn't keep in touch with her best friend in the world when she moved to Seattle, I feel this isn't saying much.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Given that she literally didn't keep in touch with her best friend in the world when she moved to Seattle, I feel this isn't saying much.

I think Max would like to have kept in touch with Chloe, but her awkwardness and insecurity got in the way.

Chloe's dad had just died, and then Max "abandons" her and moves to Seattle with her parents. That's a heck of a difficult first letter to write when you're an insecure teen who overthinks everything. So she leaves it for a bit - after all, she's busy with life in a new city and a new school. Then it's been a few months without writing, which makes Max feel even worse about it, making it even harder to actually write that letter. Maybe she starts rationalizing it: "Chloe probably hates me for abandoning her; She won't want to hear from me now" or "She's probably made some new friends who are way cooler than me."

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Surprise Pizza posted:

"She's probably made some new friends who are way cooler than me."
She did! And then Rachel Amber disappeared too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello good morning! It's Monday so it's time for a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Time to prove our friendship to Chloe by digging through a literal garbage dump!:siren:

The poll for today: closed!

Here are the new journal pages:

We also got a new profile card for Joyce!

Edit:
Unrelated to the update, Kaubocks has been playing through and choosing different decisions to see what happens. He sent me some screenshots of what happens when you're mean to Victoria in the paint situation:

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 9, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

Kaubocks has been playing through and choosing different decisions to see what happens.

wow, don't sugar coat it for the thread-- I've been choosing different decisions because they were the right ones to make

not my fault your thread hosed up :colbert:

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.
I've been following this thread for quite some time and I gotta say I love the way you play this.

Now my two cents on this week decision: Yes, it is traumatizing for a child to point a gun at another human being and could leave emotional and psychological scars on them for years, but Frank Bowers as far as I'm concern (in this context of the video) is a shady and dangerous man who threatened our friend Chloe by knife point.

For her sake and Max's, to quote Sloan from Wanted: shoot this motherfucker.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Oh wow that escalated quickly. Max really needs some trigger word for Chloe so she knows when they need to act quickly. Time powers aren't helpful if you ignore them, Chloe!

This isn't even close for me. Don't shoot. Despite Max really wanting to fit in with Chloe (and Rachel), she's still way too reserved to shoot someone else, especially this guy. If he actually attacked first, then maybe, but all he did was threaten and I think that's what we should do too.

I'd also really rather not add to the list of enemies that Max has, which is already plenty long enough.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

wow, don't sugar coat it for the thread-- I've been choosing different decisions because they were the right ones to make

not my fault your thread hosed up :colbert:

tbf I originally typed "bc he's a big rear end in a top hat" but then i changed it

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
An odd wrinkle to the choice: If we do decide to go back and not attempt to shoot this dick, Max making that decision doesn't really go away. Like sure, she can choose the action which gets the gun taken and doesn't have Frank consider them dangerous, but she still attempted to shoot a guy and she remembers doing it.

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.

KasaiAisu posted:

Oh wow that escalated quickly. Max really needs some trigger word for Chloe so she knows when they need to act quickly. Time powers aren't helpful if you ignore them, Chloe!

This isn't even close for me. Don't shoot. Despite Max really wanting to fit in with Chloe (and Rachel), she's still way too reserved to shoot someone else, especially this guy. If he actually attacked first, then maybe, but all he did was threaten and I think that's what we should do too.

I'd also really rather not add to the list of enemies that Max has, which is already plenty long enough.

Well Max already has that insane Nathan Prescott on her tail, what's one more enemy to the list gonna do?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

KasaiAisu posted:

Not to start an argument about game quality or whatever but this really ticked me off when I played through this episode last night. Like, Chloe spends the whole thing talking about how amazing your powers are and how much she believes you. If Max could be even REMOTELY assertive for just ONE SENTENCE and say "We need to leave. Now. Trust me." then we could maybe avoid this situation in the first place. I can appreciate they tried to make it look like Max tried but what they came up with makes her look like an enormous doormat by her just going "maybe we should......... uhhhhh...... leave, I guess..........."

goddammit girl you have all the time in the world to rewind until you find a way to get out before things get bad

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I'm starting to really dislike Chloe. We can only be her friend by taking the blame for her drug habit, by blowing off our other friends, or by shooting a guy? For how much she dislikes David, she sure is doing a lot to become the abusive spouse he is/is painted as.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Huh, remember that bottle that Max broke trying to get and had to rewind to move a crate? When I first tried to reach for it, Max went "C'mon Max, you're way to clumsy to just reach it from here, use the crate" and immediately did the crate-pushing cutscene without any further interaction. Dunno what I did to trigger that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

klafbang posted:

I'm starting to really dislike Chloe. We can only be her friend by taking the blame for her drug habit, by blowing off our other friends, or by shooting a guy? For how much she dislikes David, she sure is doing a lot to become the abusive spouse he is/is painted as.

Well, that's how the cycle works, after all.

But besides that, it seems pretty clear that we find Chloe at a very vulnerable and needy time in her life. It's definitely lovely behavior, but I wouldn't judge her by that entirely.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So... did you really just call shooting at someone "brave"?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

HenryEx posted:

So... did you really just call shooting at someone "brave"?

Ah, apologies I was considering editing that line but I didn't. I meant the player had to be brave enough to see what the other option might hold and to trust the game wasn't going to let a child stone-cold murder this dude. In a sense of being removed from the situation of a player interacting with a game, it's really super hard to click the button.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That makes a little more sense, thanks.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Some people seem to be forgetting that this isn't a choice between murdering a guy and not murdering a guy. We know the gun won't fire, Max knows the gun won't fire (after doing it once), so we're really picking between which unstable person we want having this gun. Now there's a legitimate argument to be made that Chloe not having a gun is a good thing, but I really don't think she needs two creepy guys with guns threatening to kill her. We should definitely (fail to) shoot.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's just like banging a dude with no consequences. Ceot with guns, not genitals.

Prety sure that nothing about Max is Super Sized.

Bottle Collection Simulator 2015: Do you still collect bottles with your bestie?

Way to make a record that your friend stole a gun there, Max.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's a couple things worth considering about this decision that I thought about when I hit it on my own. It's worth noting, if nobody has made the connection, that Frank is the guy who owns the dirty RV.

Let's say we "shoot" him. He's pissed off at us and says he'll remember that for the next time we see him. Big whoop, right? How likely is it we're ever going to run into him again? Well, we originally saw that RV in the school parking lot, so it's not like our home is really going to be a safe haven from him.

So let's not shoot. He's not threatening us directly anymore, but he did take that gun. Remember where else we saw that RV? Two Whales Diner. There was a cop in there that warned us not to hang around that seemed very aware of Frank and his antics. Think it's possible they could arrest him soon for some reason or another? What if he has that gun on him when they do? Think they would trace it back to the Price household? Then what?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Separating Chloe and the gun is probably for the best (even Chloe agrees! She knows about Max's ability, if she was super pissed she'd probably order Max to go back and save the piece), it means she won't be found with the gun, her stepdad won't find it on her or in her room, I'd say it increases the chances of Frank getting picked up by the police for having a stolen firearm which would probably help Chloe (might piss him off more but eh) and she won't be considering a showdown with Nathan (with firearms at least).

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

namesake posted:

Separating Chloe and the gun is probably for the best (even Chloe agrees! She knows about Max's ability, if she was super pissed she'd probably order Max to go back and save the piece), it means she won't be found with the gun, her stepdad won't find it on her or in her room, I'd say it increases the chances of Frank getting picked up by the police for having a stolen firearm which would probably help Chloe (might piss him off more but eh) and she won't be considering a showdown with Nathan (with firearms at least).

Except that Chloe mentions a couple times in the "Don't Shoot" timeline that there's more guns out there (with the implied that she can acquire), and those guns will also likely be stolen just not from a (step-) parent. So she's still considering an inevitable showdown with Nathan, which she recognizes the potential need for a gun. Better Chloe have a gun we know about, and need to get ammo for, than have to make innumerable questionable decisions acquiring another firearm.

Yes, it sucks that Max would shoot a dude. But when it comes to a friend getting shanked, or a self-defense shooting, I'll take the latter. Actively taking a life would suck, but knowing you did nothing to save a friend's life would suck way more. In this case, it doesn't look like the dump is super accessible by road so an ambulance would take a while to arrive, further threatening the survival chances of Chloe if she got stabbed in the gut.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The nice thing about the game is the pretense that max is operating alongside the player with knowledge of the immediate outcomes of either choice - so it's not a choice of 'shoot or don't shoot' as much as 'appear to try to shoot, or don't' .

But I think the first outcome is most in line with max - she's separated Chloe from the gun, which she was never comfortable with in the first place. And while max has the advantage of being able to replay a minute or so of time, it's still probably for the best to not have yet another psychopath on our rear end.

Plus, it seems like by taking the gun, that's counted towards Chloe's credit, so... yay?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
God drat it, Life Is Strange. I was loving you so much up until now, why do you do this to me? Our character supposedly has this amazing power to turn back time and try anything she can imagine to fix her mistakes - but never mind that, now it's time to make a Big Important Choice, Option A or Option B, that's all you've got, pick one.

It's not the first time the game has done this, but before now you've always been expressing something or helping someone, and the negative consequences have been delayed and hard to exactly predict. Here your options are "completely gently caress up immediately and obviously" and "completely gently caress up immediately and obviously in a slightly different way". Why is this an interesting decision? What good can come of either option? Why is Max satisfied with either of them? Why is she not even trying to find another way out?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teenagers aren't the best decision makers.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I think it's been said before, but this episode is the weakest of all of them, especially in terms of leaning on the "teenagers make bad decisions" excuse.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
This is the part where I had the big humorous glitch. I decided to go with not shooting Frank the first time, and then scooted on back in time to see what would happen if I had shot him.

Well. Somehow the game got confused and didn't reload the cutscene properly, leaving Chloe and Frank frozen in time and Max able to walk around. The gun just kind of floated in midair pointing at Frank and I couldn't get anything to happen, so I had to reload again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I had the same glitch, it was pretty funny.

I vote to (fail to successfully) shoot the guy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

IN THIS WORLD
IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED

even though for some reason the gun only had 3/6 bullets loaded wut

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Anchors posted:

I think it's been said before, but this episode is the weakest of all of them, especially in terms of leaning on the "teenagers make bad decisions" excuse.

The decisions may be weak, but I think this episode starts to show the story and plot getting better, overall, so I can't dislike it as much as the first. Actually, one problem with each episode, I find, is that the quality isn't uniform throughout the entire episode. 1 does a great job of grabbing attention at the start and establishing mystery, but the introduction to the large cast brings it down. This episode starts rather slow, and Chloe is prone to idiocy, but the episode sets up the setting outside the school well and introduces multiple threats (Frank and the nose bleeds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, I'm disappointed that we didn't blow up the car (the explosion is fun!), and we only had Chloe shoot herself once.

• Locked thread