Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Agronox posted:

[*]Maybe this gets explained later, but how does this electrical umbilical cord stuff work? That seems like a terrible handicap.
[/list]

It's covered in more detail later but basically even though Eva has giant mech science their power technology is still on the level of the irl early 21st century, so they don't have anything that can both power an evangelion and safely be installed onboard. No micro-fusion reactors for NERV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Basically, it's either that or putting a nuclear reactor on something designed for hand to hand combat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also it functions as a reference to Ultraman's color timer since Eva owes a lot to tokusatsu.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't catch up with this yet, but I'm reading the thread and have the new shiny blu Ray episodes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"You could try smiling" is what cemented my love for this show, and then everything post-episode 10 just continued to make me love it even more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started myself since I've been procrastinating, watching this show makes me wish I was better at explaining why I like stuff other than 'it looks cool' or 'I like the music'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Misato's apartment looks like my house

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No matter how many times I see it the fight at the end of episode 2 is always :aaaaa:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started myself since I've been procrastinating, watching this show makes me wish I was better at explaining why I like stuff other than 'it looks cool' or 'I like the music'.

yeah I feel this, it's hard to talk about something like eva without either getting bogged down in stuff that is beside the point, or just talking in vague superlatives and generalities. there are so many different threads to follow, but what I keep coming back to is that every time through feels like I'm seeing something that is uniquely honest, whatever that means

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A good way to talk about stuff is just to post screen grabs of shots you find particularly interesting. It helps focus your ideas into one frame and keep your thoughts brief and relevant. There's obviously place for the larger discussions too but it's what I did for the Haruhi simul for the most part.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

for sure, the best way to talk about visual media is with visual media

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It's been so long since I saw the original show + EoE. Might as well dust this poo poo off. First time I saw this I was 15.

Yeah.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"I can see why you're still single at your age, Misato."

Jesus, Shinji!

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

So can I tbf.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh right thats today and right now

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Command Ant posted:

"I can see why you're still single at your age, Misato."

Jesus, Shinji!

He has some seriously sick burns this ep

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sakurazuka posted:

Basically, it's either that or putting a nuclear reactor on something designed for hand to hand combat.

Funny you should mention that...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that shot of the angel from last episode still being cleaned up is such a neat detail

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nice of them to give their giant robot a real jaunty walk cycle

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 5, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Here comes the best character! :neckbeard:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I forgot about a lot of the good character moments in the Jet Alone ep, it's unfortunate that it is sandwiched between a bunch of great episodes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

was Hyuga flying the plane? :eyepop:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
They put up the net...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this episode owns

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah ep 7 is really overshadowed by it and of course Asuka steals the show.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The size of the plane in 7 just completely evades my imagination, considering its ability to hold and carry the gigantic robot completely within its form factor like that.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Kytrarewn posted:

The size of the plane in 7 just completely evades my imagination, considering its ability to hold and carry the gigantic robot completely within its form factor like that.

Something that always impresses me on Eva rewatches are the really cool incidental mechanical designs that only show up once or twice, that flying wing is sick.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This was one of my favorite episodes, and I still managed to forget how great it was. Watching it again as an adult, it's much easier to appreciate how well they managed to capture the awkward, adolescent chemistry between Shinji and Asuka. I'd also forgotten how cool the angel and the battle against it are in this episode

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Asuka is good, and much less annoying than I remember. In general, every character is less archetype and more character than my memories and expectations think they are after a dozen years of occasionally reading and vaguely thinking about Eva.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Watching this two episodes at a time is going to kill me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's nice to see Shinji opening up and acting more naturally towards Misato after episode 6.

Although i do not share the love some have of her, Asuka is a good character and this was a really good way to introduce her. Evangelion unit 2 is a good robot.

Episode 9 is one of my favorites, can't wait for wednesday!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aag, late. Ah well, last week was a fluke with regards to being "on time" for this, not that it matters.

So many things to pause and read, haven't even got to poor Jet Alone yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Watching this two episodes at a time is going to kill me.

Yep.

And also yep to your previous post.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
New version of Fly Me to the Moon starting on 8, this time in Bossa Nova style. I like it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

New version of Fly Me to the Moon starting on 8, this time in Bossa Nova style. I like it.

It's been sung by a different person every episode

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Kytrarewn posted:

That and the pink champagne color that went with it were very appropriate for Asuka's first appearance.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Droyer posted:

It's been sung by a different person every episode

Guess I was, as usual, paying more attention to instrumental tracks than I was to vocals. This one is the first one to have a drastically different backing track, so it struck me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hello, Asuka. You're the best.

Right after Rei.

Who's right after you.

...it's complicated ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread