Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bentai posted:

The CEO said the cost of a min-spec PC and rift would be around $1500. Min-spec is 8GB of RAM, GTX970, i5-4590, and a new PC built around those will run about $900, so theorycrafting says the headset price will be in the $600 range.

I know it's not going to be under $350 (and therefore not under £350 because tech companies don't know how exchange rates work) but if it's as high as $600 then this thing doesn't stand a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not totally sure, but a quick look at the steam forums tells me that the steam link needs to support the device and send inputs to the PC. The peripheral does not get installed on the PC you're streaming from.

At least on the beta build there's support for a USB-over-Ethernet driver. In theory that should support anything, though IIRC it says it only works with one device so you'd have to run Fanatec-style setups in console mode where the pedals are connected to the wheel base. I've been meaning to give it a try, maybe I'll do that tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

njsykora posted:

I know it's not going to be under $350 (and therefore not under £350 because tech companies don't know how exchange rates work) but if it's as high as $600 then this thing doesn't stand a chance.

Especially for those specs.. 970 and i5-4590 isn't top of the line but it's basically current gen enthusiast gear, and those are minimum specs? Does the recommended processor even exist yet?

That said, hardware prices seem really goddamn high right now compared to the last time I did a build, did a factory burn down somewhere?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

Especially for those specs.. 970 and i5-4590 isn't top of the line but it's basically current gen enthusiast gear, and those are minimum specs? Does the recommended processor even exist yet?

That said, hardware prices seem really goddamn high right now compared to the last time I did a build, did a factory burn down somewhere?

I think the current i5s from the past year are on Intel's new architecture so we're in that period where new poo poo's come out but hasn't had time to get cheap yet. Its still perfectly possible to build a really good PC for fairly cheap (the GTX 950 is pretty awesome for the price I'm told) but those specs are still pretty drat high compared to average. A GTX 970 for starters is over £250 by itself.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of it as, two 1080p monitors running different views in the latest 3D games. So with one monitor you can get away with much less than a 980 now, but with two at the same time, with a pile of post processing and other stuff.. more horsepower the better. Sure you can probably run a middling gaming PC and spend money on VR, but I'm not going to be doing that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think you need a better processor than normal. My CPU hasn't really bottlenecked me on any VR games except for iRacing because it still runs DX9. The big thing you need is GPU because it has to render everything twice.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Niels made an RC mod for SCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acnDJomdAVE#t=315s

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I had an interesting realization about racing sims the other day while driving IRL. I was trying to figure out why in my real car I can turn the wheel and hold it at the right spot to hold a line through a corner, but in racing sims I'd often end up doing lots of significant wheel corrections throughout, even at low speeds, and in general felt much less comfortable cornering than in my real car. It dawned on me that the subtle head movements I do to look into and through corners were not translating to racing sims due to the deadzones in my TrackIR profile, as I was being lazy and using my WW2 flight sim profile. Deadzones are nice when trying to keep a steady eye down a gunsight, but in racing sims it meant my game head was staying too steady and I wasn't really looking into corners.

I made a new profile with no deadzones; basically the 1:1 profile but a little more sensitive. Suddenly all those subtle head movements happened in-game without any conscious thought, improving my cornering vision immensely and my steering in kind.

It's funny how something that minor can have such a big impact. I assume this cornering vision is a big perk of triplehead setups, but as someone on a single screen I can't imagine driving without my no-deadzone TrackIR now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think that's a big part of why head movement and look to corner ended up as a standard feature in most games. I don't use those but I probably should tune in some settings to it at some point just so I can get a better idea of where the apex is when turning in.

Since Automobilista's first beta is only a few weeks out I'm spending some time with the bits of SCE I never spent much time with, and despite them being the big feature of the initial SCE beta I never spent much time with the Super V8s. Holy poo poo the back end on those things gets ridiculously twitchy after 5-6 laps when the tires start to seriously wear. Running 15 minute races in SCE I've never really had to worry about tire wear but the soft tires on that car are mostly gone at the end of that race. So I have to ask, does anyone know what the AI logic is regarding tire pit stops in racing sims? I feel like in the ISIMotor games they'd go to pit when the wear indicator turns red.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

njsykora posted:

$599

And £500 for UK buyers.

gently caress off, VR is dead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
VR is far from dead when we live in a world where people will happily drop 400-1K on fake steering wheels and joysticks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress it. I'm still buying one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Price is up, $600. :v:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/virtually-a-reality-oculus-rift-goes-on-sale/

Probably will slow me down buying one by about five minutes, tops.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
March. April. That's Q2, so we're falling short of expectations and the marketing before they've even sold the product. Classy. In other news the Vive has got it's controllers working and apparently the specs are better on the headset?

I don't care if it's a thousand bucks, anyone that drops a couple of grand on a new gaming PC ever few years isn't scraping pennies together to buy entry level kit. This is the thread of triples and belt drive FFB, a G27 is entry level.. replacing Track IR and triples and current 3D tech all with the real thing isn't something enthusiasts are going to have a hard time wrestling with. It's just which one to buy and Valve seem to be getting their poo poo together better.. or from what we've seen. It's all a bit exciting really.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's £500 for an Oculus without their special controllers, and they're supposedly not even making a profit on that. There's no way in hell this is ever getting the level of sales it needs to survive the year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well fortunately for them they're being bankrolled by Facebook. I think they'll be fine.

It's definitely not going to be in every home any time soon. That price tag puts it squarely in the enthusiast bracket.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Delusional thinking the first wave of consumer VR headsets would be for anyone but enthusiasts.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

holocaust bloopers posted:

VR is far from dead when we live in a world where people will happily drop 400-1K on fake steering wheels and joysticks.

My thoughts exactly. One of my housemates just dropped $400 on a HOTAS setup for his space sims and I have probably $1000 in to wheels, pedals, and cockpits at this point with more likely to come in the future. $600 for a display device that is a total game changer as far as immersion goes is almost reasonable by comparison.

I'm going to sit on the sidelines until both are actually in public hands and able to be independently compared, but after borrowing a DK1 for a week I'm sold on VR and will gladly pay good money for it. For the HMD alone it's at the high end of my ideal range, but still not terrible. I'm curious where the Vive's pricing will land with the controllers included.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 6, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah I've got to wait to see how it performs in the wild. I don't want to drop a bunch of cash hitting the Rift "min spec" PC, to find out it's still not beefy enough to run the games I want in VR.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

quote:

Within 15 minutes of pre-orders going up, online orders were being told to expect a ship date of April. After an hour, the expected ship date was back to May. This suggests some combination of either limited initial supplies or very robust sales for the Rift.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

That's £500 for an Oculus without their special controllers, and they're supposedly not even making a profit on that. There's no way in hell this is ever getting the level of sales it needs to survive the year.

LOL they are already sold out until May. I think they'll do just fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair they have to give away like 7500 of the drat things to people that backed the original kickstarter. Who knows how big their first production run actually is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A post in the VR thread made me think. If I'm really desperate for a VR headset in the next few years I could just grab a DK2 off ebay when all the early adopters are selling them off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

A post in the VR thread made me think. If I'm really desperate for a VR headset in the next few years I could just grab a DK2 off ebay when all the early adopters are selling them off.

I was just BSing with a friend about the same idea. DK2 prices on eBay were up pretty close to where CV1 landed, so maybe those will fall back down towards the original price and become a relatively cheap way to get in to the market once the early adopters start getting their new ones.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Iirc dk2 will not be supported by production frameworks so whatever is out now is the limit, right?

When I tried using the dk2 with assetto I found it totally unusable on resolution alone. I simply couldn't see into corners.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Any word on Vive support in the various racing sims? I'm interested in that set because it's probably going to be the best for Elite: Dangerous, but if all the racing sims are Rift-only then I'll be torn.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shine posted:

Any word on Vive support in the various racing sims? I'm interested in that set because it's probably going to be the best for Elite: Dangerous, but if all the racing sims are Rift-only then I'll be torn.

I'd wait to see, I can't imagine many games having full Oculus support but ignoring the Vive. The current Oculus support is only due to those dev kits being so widely distributed for the past few years whereas not nearly as many people have had dev Vives and I cant imagine Kunos is near the top of Valve's list of devs they need to get a kit sent to. That's another reason to wait on this, we don't know how split the market is gonna get. If everything plays on everything that would be awesome but I think its stupid to think that'd be the case.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

Delusional thinking the first wave of consumer VR headsets would be for anyone but enthusiasts.
Price rumors have pegged Playstation VR at $350 ($500 max). Think when I tried to look into pricing a couple months ago, rumors for Vive pricing were similar.

Waiting for Morpheus/Vive seems like a no brainer if they don't come in at almost double their rumored prices like the Oculus has (implying $350 no more than a few months ago), more still if you won't be getting your Oculus till May at the earliest since both competitors ought to be released by then anyway.

I wasn't totally onboard to take the plunge at $350 so I will definitely be sitting on the sidelines watching the VR situation develop because $600 is in resounding "hell no" territory for me relative to how much I think I'd use it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Me and plenty of other gamers will drop 600 bucks on a video card alone every few years. I'm not running some 1280x1024 CRT from the 90s either, the money has little to do with it when we talk about the functionality. The dev kits have been out for ages, it's not side-by-side 3D, even at the low res and limited support people have been raving about this tech for quite a while now. Bring it on!

As for compatibility, I guess NVIDIA should get their poo poo together and try and establish some kind of standard. Make a standardized connector or method using HDMI, publish an API kind of thing for developers to adhere to so their games are 'NVIDIA VR Compatible' and let the fledgling VR companies release 1.1 versions of their hardware supporting this. Beat ATi to the punch and have one more reason no-one buys an ATi card anymore. What they've done with side-by-side 3D basically, with games that are currently 'NVIDIA 3D Ready' are the ones you want to run with your 3D kit.

As for the 'this is another gimmick like 3D!' or 'it's expensive! I'm poor!' crowd, it's home VR. We're not talking about something that is for every PC user or most gamers, with time the price of the tech will come down but at this stage it's the first wave. Just like when video cards and 3D accelerators were separate things and loving expensive and boring people shat on those too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

£300 or so for Playstation VR is about the sweet spot as to what I'd pay, and if Vive is under $400 then Oculus is pretty much dead on arrival. That said I see no way in hell HTC don't try and get as close to Oculus as possible while still undercutting them if they can. Then I'd expect at some point Playstation VR is going to be bundled with Gran Turismo Sport.

Not to risk dragging the discussion back to videogame race cars, but the FVR V8 Supercars mod for rF2 is awesome.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the Playstation VR plug into a Playstation? With it's old lovely hardware and crappy software choice and general console shittiness?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, joking aside, I doubt a PS4 is going to push something like Project Cars at twice the normal resolution and rock solid high framerates so people don't puke their guts out. Last I heard recommended VR framerate is 75?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GhostDog posted:

Yeah, joking aside, I doubt a PS4 is going to push something like Project Cars at twice the normal resolution and rock solid high framerates so people don't puke their guts out. Last I heard recommended VR framerate is 75?

Sony has some tech that doubles frames seamlessly or some poo poo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Playstation games will probably have a "VR setting" that severely optimizes the graphics so that it can push acceptable framerates. Console users won't notice the difference and just be amazed at the capability of VR regardless.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sony has some tech that doubles frames seamlessly or some poo poo.

Two Playstations and a connector cable?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tony Montana posted:

Two Playstations and a connector cable?

I know you're joking, but they've got some fancy tech and supposedly the end results are loving great. And let's be real here, if anyone is going to take VR to a mass audience, it'll be a console player. So if you want anyone to succeed for the tech to be a staple, it ought to be Sony.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
PC Gaming is Dead! (some guy from 1990)

Sony can do things that Intel + AMD + NIVIDA + ATi can't! What do you think is inside an XBONE or PS4? Magic Sony and Microsoft hardware developed by a consumer electronics company and a software house or the same hardware developed by the world's leaders in virtual rendering except older and shittier because it's all packaged up in a nice consumer bundle?

If you just stop and think for 10 seconds about what 'doubling a framerate' means you'd realize how ridiculous it is. There will be a cost, like the guy said above it'll halve the render quality, halve the texture size, turn AA down, etc and for the console market that'll be fine because you're playing on a TV anyway.

edit: also gently caress the mass market. Mobile gaming is the next big thing because everyone has a phone, right? Mobile games are universally awful. Just like film, I'd prefer to spend my time with something actually good than popular.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 7, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm not saying you're wrong regarding performance and visuals. There will be a cost, but if Sony has a software/hardware method to make their VR stuff work smoothly then cool. I'm talking about mass consumer adoption. As it is, Oculus requires a significant PC to operate properly per their specs. Sony can hit a lot more people with their 350 dollar console that requires zero build time or hardware investment outside of the console itself and whatever VR gear they need.

No one is saying PC is dead or that a console is going to crush it. I'm talking about making VR a staple for everyone; not a niche PC product.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or it'll be some kind of post processing pseudo-3D, like those filters you can enable in the control panel for a video card or the 3D anaglyph driver that was out there a ways back.

One of the Skate games on the Xbox 360 had a 3D anaglyph mode, was actually kind of fun and produced no perceptible frame rate changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not saying you're wrong regarding performance and visuals. There will be a cost, but if Sony has a software/hardware method to make their VR stuff work smoothly then cool. I'm talking about mass consumer adoption. As it is, Oculus requires a significant PC to operate properly per their specs. Sony can hit a lot more people with their 350 dollar console that requires zero build time or hardware investment outside of the console itself and whatever VR gear they need.

No one is saying PC is dead or that a console is going to crush it. I'm talking about making VR a staple for everyone; not a niche PC product.

Yeah and if this goes the way many of us are thinking, you'll be getting a VR headset included with your video card eventually and it'll just be a thing everyone has. Just like how when you buy a CPU now it can render 3D graphics and pretty bloody well too, while once upon a time that seemed just insane.

That is a long way away and all very speculative, for now and the next few years, probably more like 5 or even 10 years VR is going to be a cool thing that beasty gaming PCs do for enthusiasts. Consoles will always be consoles, a cheaper, lower quality version built with the lowest common denominator in mind first, targeted to the mass market and hoping to hit everyone between 5 and 75 years old.

There is a ton of great fiction on this, Tad Williams Otherland is one I remember well. I don't know if this incarnation of the tech is finally getting us closer, but VR has been a computing fiction staple for a very long time and for various reasons. William Gibson's Neuromancer is another classic example (which comically I think the protagonist has a Sony deck in either that or the following book, because it was written in the 80s when Sony was huge). In these imagining the computer/deck is some conglomeration of console and PC, a general use device everyone has at least one of in their residence.

We are nowhere near that and won't be anytime soon, the current gaming paradigm is custom built PCs for the top end, mass made PCs in the middle and consoles at the entry level. If VR is successful enough in the above fiction interface design follows, the Net becomes some virtual representation totally rendered in 3D and browsers and HTML pages give way to interaction akin to real life. Do you currently interact with the Internet mostly from your console? Of course you don't, you want a sharper and better picture than your TV and interface devices superior to controllers for manipulating media.

If it takes off consoles will have some version of it, just as they have some version of racing sims and some version of MMOs and you can probably have some MS Paint variant and draw a picture and I think there were even word processors there for a while. But it's all shadow of the computing scene where people who can spend far more money and invest a lot more time focus their efforts.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread