Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Niton posted:

Vaccuum Wave is a physical attack, if you're using Gilgamesh or another Knight you can use Draw Fire on it.

I don't have Gilgamesh yet. I don't think I have any leveled Knights either. Piss!

Ok I jacked up Paladin Cecil with some growth eggs might as well cause I heard he's good he's an ff4 guy too(I know it's not this game but there's lots of stuff for 4) and I got his crystal. Now I just need one power orb from somewhere to make draw fire.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Niton posted:

Vaccuum Wave is a physical attack, if you're using Gilgamesh or another Knight you can use Draw Fire on it.

Wasn't it AoE in this game (as opposed to FFV where it was actually single-target)?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AweStriker posted:

Wasn't it AoE in this game (as opposed to FFV where it was actually single-target)?

It's AoE in the ultimate battle, but single-target in the level 99 elite.

Ok, cleared Rikku's boss rush. I S/Led a few times because statuses refused to stick, but overall not too bad.

Rikku - Rallying Etude / Intimidate
Cloud - Retaliate / Thundara Strike
Bartz - Steal Power / Thunder Strike
Balthier - Tempo Flurry / Thundara Strike (with his gun in case the second boss went long-range)
Y'shtola - Protectga / Curaga

The trick was to make sure Rikku used Rallying Etude BEFORE Bartz used steal power, otherwise it would overwrite the 50% boost with the 15% boost. The game also unequipped Bartz' Lupine Trance SB for some reason, which I didn't notice until I was halfway through the rush. Thanks game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So I was really afraid of Yunalesca headed in, because I heard horror stories about how she is one of the tougher Ultimate bosses we will see for a while, but she ended up being a total patsy. Had to S/L once because she counter-blinded Tidus on turn 2, but outside of that it was smooth sailing.

Thankfully I have fairly decent X weapons, but my armor selection was kinda weak. Still she barely hit me for any damage over that fight. Went with PP as my RW. Tidus was hitting for about 12k a turn with Tempo Flurry and his Slice and Dice SB did about 35k to her.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Interesting set of battles. The Magus Sisters were fun because Mindy could decide to use Passado whenever and one-shot anybody. And Crawler is ALWAYS fun. But thankfully my melee synergy is pretty good so I had a simpler time with Defender Z. Rikku was mostly useless but at least she could Rallying Etude to help the others. She also Venom Bustered Sandy for me. But yeah she's pretty bad, which is a shame because I like her.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Didn't even bring Rikku to the boss rush and had no problem getting all the other medals to make up for the 3 lost there. Obviously need her for the ++ and +++ though.

Also, Intimidate works on the second boss in the boss rush, not just the first.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Mastered Ultimate Yunalesca on my second attempt with Yuna as a summoner, Eiko as a Healbot w/ Emerald Light, Lulu spamming spells, Squall with Blasting Zone and Setzer with full break and armor break. Pretty RNG, my first run she used mind blast the second she hit phase 3 and chain osmosed until I could only auto attack and slowly die to Holy.

PS. time your Walls just as she goes into p2 and partway through p3.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I don't have Gilgamesh yet. I don't think I have any leveled Knights either. Piss!

Ok I jacked up Paladin Cecil with some growth eggs might as well cause I heard he's good he's an ff4 guy too(I know it's not this game but there's lots of stuff for 4) and I got his crystal. Now I just need one power orb from somewhere to make draw fire.

I beat him on my very last hit with Bartz as the last man standing. I screwed up a bunch but I got a good period of magic lure and reflect going which added to my damage. I messed up at the end and cast reflect again too early so it just reflected onto Exdeath and I almost died because of it. But I hurt him just enough that my last normal attack from Bartz won it. I don't know why I did this cause I don't think I can do this boss rush at all I just like ff5.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

So I was really afraid of Yunalesca headed in, because I heard horror stories about how she is one of the tougher Ultimate bosses we will see for a while, but she ended up being a total patsy. Had to S/L once because she counter-blinded Tidus on turn 2, but outside of that it was smooth sailing.

Thankfully I have fairly decent X weapons, but my armor selection was kinda weak. Still she barely hit me for any damage over that fight. Went with PP as my RW. Tidus was hitting for about 12k a turn with Tempo Flurry and his Slice and Dice SB did about 35k to her.

Did you just burn her down fast enough that Sap wearing off on Gilgamesh from his RM didn't matter? Or did you make sure to get hit with hellbiter partway through? I don't have any decent X synergy weapons, so I don't think burning her down that quickly is an option.

Beasteh posted:

Mastered Ultimate Yunalesca on my second attempt with Yuna as a summoner, Eiko as a Healbot w/ Emerald Light, Lulu spamming spells, Squall with Blasting Zone and Setzer with full break and armor break. Pretty RNG, my first run she used mind blast the second she hit phase 3 and chain osmosed until I could only auto attack and slowly die to Holy.

PS. time your Walls just as she goes into p2 and partway through p3.

How did you handle her regular attacks dispelling buffs? Or did you just rely in Walls to keep Holy from killing you?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Well, the bonus battles save for the Ultimate were anti-climaxes.

Boss rush was 'spam lightning magic', spam lightning magic', and 'drop Blade Beam to blow the negator to pieces and then spam lightning magic'.
EX+ was 'spam summons and AOE black magic'
EX++ was 'berserk and then spam magic', although Berserker Z did manage to make me panic when the berserk wore off...only for Rikku to stun him with Dismissal and buy me enough time for Celes to reapply Berserk and thus seal his fate.

Now to deal with the Ultimate. Rather than the usual 'spam magic' plan, I'm going Draw Fire + Retaliate with Gilgamesh.

edit: I somehow beat her first try without losing ANY MEDALS AT ALL. I literally could have not brought Yuna and STILL would have mastered the fight. No Holy casts, no dispel shenanigans, just one Mind Blast that confused only Tyro, a few hellbiters, and physical attacks that Gilgamesh countered.

This might have been because I put Advance on Gilgamesh and his retaliate counters were hitting for about 8k each, but still what the hell that was a joke.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Draw + Retaliate to avoid the dispelling attacks?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hmm, looks like Gilgamesh is some key character in this game I guess I had better get him sooner than later. Draw+Retaliate sounds very useful.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

Hmm, looks like Gilgamesh is some key character in this game I guess I had better get him sooner than later. Draw+Retaliate sounds very useful.

Well in that fight it was incredible; Yunalesca's normal attacks dispel Protect/Shell/Haste on hit, which cripples the usual Boon/Lunatic High SBs that people like using for very difficult bosses (if they have innate SG or SS access). Draw Fire + Retaliate negates that threat completely while also giving you a free hit.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

He can be gotten via bonus quest - the Elite Wind Shrine one near the bottom of the list - if you didn't get him during VOM.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kawalimus posted:

He's basically Cloud, but with no spellblades in trade for generally viable physical mitigation. For added fun, stack Draw Fire/Retaliate/Advance/Morphin' Time on Gilgamesh then go to town. But make sure to Morph before you Advance.

Fake Edit: On the topic of boner battles, I'm also running Rikku/GILGAMESH/Butz, but instead of someone like Balthier or Y'sholta, I subbed in Lulu and Yuna since I got some of their SB weapons.

Real Edit: I think I should either reserve my Thundaja's or switch to Thundaga since that has two more uses and Lulu's breaking 400 Magic. Also how low should the Depth Charge timer be before I use a thunder to stop it?

widespread fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 5, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zone of Danger posted:

Draw + Retaliate to avoid the dispelling attacks?

Yup.

Schwartzcough posted:

How did you handle her regular attacks dispelling buffs? Or did you just rely in Walls to keep Holy from killing you?

I managed to beat her in the span of a single SSII, so doing it in 40 seconds with weaker weapons probably isn't impossible.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ugh, I hate status victory conditions. 8 Venom Busters and not one of them stuck on Sandy. And THIS time the game unequipped Focus from Lulu and I didn't notice. Christ game, quit it!

KnoxZone posted:

I managed to beat her in the span of a single SSII, so doing it in 40 seconds with weaker weapons probably isn't impossible.

Hmm, good to know.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Had to heal up for the last battle of the boss rush (because I ran out of mostly R4'd abilities) and I beat the Magus Sisters after a few resets of the battle, now I've got Defender Z to deal with. Not sure how I'll wing this one without a decently honed Carbuncle, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Will it's Blast Punch target someone taunting it while berserked? If so, I could just simply bring a reflect and hope for the best.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Kemix posted:

Had to heal up for the last battle of the boss rush (because I ran out of mostly R4'd abilities) and I beat the Magus Sisters after a few resets of the battle, now I've got Defender Z to deal with. Not sure how I'll wing this one without a decently honed Carbuncle, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Will it's Blast Punch target someone taunting it while berserked? If so, I could just simply bring a reflect and hope for the best.

You can't die if you keep berserk up, so that's probably the easiest approach. You'll probably need to re-apply it mid-fight.

Not sure he has anything that could be reflected.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kemix posted:

Enemies under Berserk generally ignore draw fire/ magic lure effects. However, you could use a Runic RW if you don't have a honed Carbuncle; it should absorb his fists.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It looks like Ultimate Yunalesca uses Hellbiter instead of Mega Death when going into phase 3, and even if characters don't have Sap, she only has a 5% chance of busting out Mega Death. So it seems Retaliating is a much safer strategy than previously thought.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ApplesandOranges posted:

It looks like Ultimate Yunalesca uses Hellbiter instead of Mega Death when going into phase 3, and even if characters don't have Sap, she only has a 5% chance of busting out Mega Death. So it seems Retaliating is a much safer strategy than previously thought.

Wow, if its that low and you were struggling to survive, you could even risk using Hymn of the Fayth if you have it to remove the sap and heal. Just be prepared to quickly S/L !

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I need Lenna's MC2, how hard are the two boss rushes? What should I be bringing?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Huh, you guys were right about Ultimate Yunalesca. Advantauntaliate with a fencing sabre++ did the job just fine. I meant to bring Boost too, but accidentally brought Intimidate instead (I have not been on my game tonight. Almost took her on without Yuna in the party too). Protectga and Shellga with a Wall relic, but I don't think it was really needed. I never came very close to dying. Still, bringing Celes or something to boost RES once you get to phase 2/3 might be a good idea if you don't have a wall relic. And load up people with RES gear, I guess.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Vonnie posted:

I need Lenna's MC2, how hard are the two boss rushes? What should I be bringing?
First off, it's just one boss rush. For Lenna's MC2, you just need to fight one boss.

That being said, Advantauntaliate obviously. And then basic mitigations, maybe Ruinga if the crystals aren't immune to Non-Ele. Also plan to kill Atomos ASAP, since his Doom of Atomos gives just 30 seconds before Wormhole, which prevents using the Continue Revive thing.

As for Antlion, Berserk in place of Shellga, and have your mage(s)/spellblader(s) bring Water attacks.

Did I mention Advantauntaliate?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

gently caress Dispelling Basic Attacks.

gently caress There Being No Mind-Mitigation.

gently caress Osmose.

If one of those three things were not here for this fight, I'd have beaten Yunalesca easy.

:sigh: Time to do some more honing and bring Gilgy.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

widespread posted:

First off, it's just one boss rush. For Lenna's MC2, you just need to fight one boss.

That being said, Advantauntaliate obviously. And then basic mitigations, maybe Ruinga if the crystals aren't immune to Non-Ele. Also plan to kill Atomos ASAP, since his Doom of Atomos gives just 30 seconds before Wormhole, which prevents using the Continue Revive thing.

As for Antlion, Berserk in place of Shellga, and have your mage(s)/spellblader(s) bring Water attacks.

The crystals are not immune to Non-Elemental, but they will spam AoE magic at you below half health so use it with caution.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AweStriker posted:

The crystals are not immune to Non-Elemental, but they will spam AoE magic at you below half health so use it with caution.

Oh yeah, also should mention you should focus fire the crystals, with the occasional Ruinga blast.

Fake Edit: Does Lupine Barrage override Steal Power?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Ultimate Yunalesca was a breeze with Advantauntaliate. Popping Kirin meant stopping at least three Holys as well. Only had to S/L once because she Blinded Gilgamesh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

widespread posted:

Oh yeah, also should mention you should focus fire the crystals, with the occasional Ruinga blast.

That was the only fight I've actually felt lucky for in this game. I got the Air Knife on the Black Friday 1/2 price character relic pull and deal 18k to each of 3/4 crystals three times in rapid succession was hilarious.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Is Enveloping Etude essentially identical to Protectga?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shock Trooper posted:

Is Enveloping Etude essentially identical to Protectga?

Pretty much. I made Rikku useful by toting it along with Venom Buster in the Magus Sisters battle because lord knows she won't be doing any damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Note that the next Ultimate Boss is Rubicante - hone up Ice/Water abilities, and having a decently honed Thief ability will be helpful.

Those who got the Fire Rings from previous FFV and FFVII events might find them helpful.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

widespread posted:

Yeah whoops, not sure why I was convinced it was two. Advantauntaliating gilgamesh got me through everything (With help from Krile's ruingas and valefors)

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Ultimate Yunalesca is a huge chump compared to Exdeath, I think - 1 S/L because of a Megadeath right at the end, but the next time she just farted around and Osmose'd the end of the fight. Advance and Gilgamesh put in work.

That said, I didn't get mastery on Defender Z :negative: I might go back to it for the Rosetta Stone, but 8x Greater Earth Orbs? Am I supposed to care about this!?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

potaties posted:

Ultimate Yunalesca is a huge chump compared to Exdeath, I think - 1 S/L because of a Megadeath right at the end, but the next time she just farted around and Osmose'd the end of the fight. Advance and Gilgamesh put in work.

That said, I didn't get mastery on Defender Z :negative: I might go back to it for the Rosetta Stone, but 8x Greater Earth Orbs? Am I supposed to care about this!?

That's 8/10ths of a 5* earth orb once orb combining gets here, and 5* earth orbs are actually worth a mention since you need them for Meteor at the very least.

Honestly I am wondering when we'll get another ability that uses 4* earth orbs worth making/honing; I still haven't honed even Protectga or Shellga yet.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Alxprit posted:

Pretty much. I made Rikku useful by toting it along with Venom Buster in the Magus Sisters battle because lord knows she won't be doing any damage.

that's what I thought, I ended up doing the exact same thing with her. Thankfully Venom Buster stuck on the second attempt.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Note that the next Ultimate Boss is Rubicante

Oh god, gently caress that dickhead.

Well I hadn't done Exdeath yet so I stole someone's Advantaliate team loadout off the official site. After a few S/L's it looked like it was going okay until I triggered a Counter Dispel when reapplying Magic Breakdown at like 25% life, which I shouldn't have done. Attempted to get mitigation back up but Cecil and Lenna ended up dying, and those 2 deaths meant one more medal loss that pushed me over to Expert. Eh, suppose I'll have to try again, at least I got that stupid Cursed RImg though.

Haven't attempted the +++ or Ultimate on the Rikku event yet. And I didn't even get to clear all the Classic dungeons in the last update before they added more. Too many things to do right now, but that FF5 event ends tomorrow...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

the Orb of Zot posted:

That's 8/10ths of a 5* earth orb once orb combining gets here, and 5* earth orbs are actually worth a mention since you need them for Meteor at the very least.

Honestly I am wondering when we'll get another ability that uses 4* earth orbs worth making/honing; I still haven't honed even Protectga or Shellga yet.

Yeah mine are both level 1. With the concentration materia equipped that's enough to apply them throughout an entire dungeon 100% of the time

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

widespread posted:

Yes, both the same buff ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So uh... yeah, I should focus on Cindy first, right? Because Raise is getting absurdly annoying.

Also I think I need to hop out, then hop back in to try for either an SG or SS2 RW. Doubt just Protectga/Shellga would cut it.

Zone of Danger posted:

Yes, both the same buff ID.

God dammit. Ah well, just means I can't use Steal Power when there's a full SB gauge.

• Locked thread