Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Hbomberguy posted:

She actually just has 'tank' as her license plate - but for one cut the sign is different for no reason.

The tank, importantly, is purely an expression of Rebecca's character. I can imagine a nostalgia critic type or somesuch complaining about how unrealistic and crazy the tank is, constantly appearing to shift for no reason - but this mirrors how Rebecca herself seems to suddenly change her entire outfit and hairdo between scenes.

It's so good. It's so good.

As a side note, Waterworld is much better than its bizarre popcultural heritage makes it out to be, but still not that great. It's remarkably stupid in its themes. It's like Fury Road but if there really was a green place somewhere and at the end they go to it and everyone's happy smiley and you just sort of have to forget about all the suffering people off back in the citadel.

I remember loving Waterworld - and it's similarities to Brendan McCarthy's comic Freakwave somehow lead to him getting the Fury Road job: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/12/01/waterworld-freakwave-brendan-mccarthys-road-to-mad-max-4/

I saw McCarthy give a talk at the Sydney Opera House. It wasn't as informative about the making of Mad Max than the talk I saw with the production crew at some visual arts school, but it was still raelly fun to see his trippy designs blown up to giant size and hear him talk about working on Ninja Turtles. I wish he'd spent more time on working on Reboot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Or in some cases, is the authority figure over men. Remember the well-spread freakout by some idiot who was like "how dare that woman shout orders at noted American icon Max Rockatansky!"

Which is extra funny since there's a scene in the original film where his wife shouts at him to get in the car and he's like "wut?" and she's all like "there's no time, just get in" and he trusts her and does it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzli2Q-Fho

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Which is extra funny since there's a scene in the original film where his wife shouts at him to get in the car and he's like "wut?" and she's all like "there's no time, just get in" and he trusts her and does it.

Also, the third movie has Tina Turner, and she's Tina loving Turner.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mods change my name to "Little White Cuck Ball"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love that white MRAs identify with a beep boop robot instead of ace fighter pilot and cool guy Poe Dameron.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I love that white MRAs identify with a beep boop robot instead of ace fighter pilot and cool guy Poe Dameron.

He's Hispanic, MRAs are racist.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Good lord, no wonder nobody can love them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Of course they're racist. Of the ways that white women infringe on their male rights is that they whorishly lust after exotic black and Hispanic men rather than being satisfied with white men, as is the natural right of white men.

I mean, I just made that up, but I bet it's true.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey come on, you think a latin guy and a black guy just get cast in Star Wars by accident? We've got a white genocide on our hands and everybody's just letting it happen! Open your eyes!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hey come on, you think a latin guy and a black guy just get cast in Star Wars by accident? We've got a white genocide on our hands and everybody's just letting it happen! Open your eyes!

doubly topical:

a racist on twitter posted:

#BoycottStarWarsVII because it will be ghetto garbage. pic.twitter.com/SkNiqg8bKX

Lord Humungus (@DarklyEnlighten) October 19, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What a disgrace to the Humungus name. I just watched Road Warrior last weekend and there's no indication whatsoever that he's got issues with race. Seemed like a pretty cool dude aside from the murdering and pillaging.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look guys if you don't want me to think Star Wars is actually racist then why is it that the first thing that black and Latin guy when teaming up is to steal a car tie fighter???

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What happened to "manscotting"? I rather liked "manscotting".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I was in the mood for more Mad Max so I picked up the game on Steam sale and holy poo poo is it amazing looking. Combat and driving feel great and weighty and the sand, metal, and fire effects are insane. Shame that the actual structure of the game and most of the characters are complete garbage though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It suffers from regular Open-World Syndrome; most of the content involves running over the map looking for stuff. Some of the stuff is good and fun like assaulting warboy bases and ripping them to shreds, the rest is just "tear down these towers and minefields and snipers and races" you should ignore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The game is by the Just Cause developers, so treat it the same: understand that the story takes a back seat to really pretty destruction and go have fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The game is by the Just Cause developers, so treat it the same: understand that the story takes a back seat to really pretty destruction and go have fun.

Is it discounted anywhere yet? I definitely want to play it at some point but it doesn't feel worth $60. I'm thinking I'll get three or four hours of fun out of it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is it discounted anywhere yet? I definitely want to play it at some point but it doesn't feel worth $60. I'm thinking I'll get three or four hours of fun out of it.

You can get it for $16~ at g2a and other third party places.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pierson posted:

It suffers from regular Open-World Syndrome; most of the content involves running over the map looking for stuff. Some of the stuff is good and fun like assaulting warboy bases and ripping them to shreds, the rest is just "tear down these towers and minefields and snipers and races" you should ignore.

Yeah that poo poo all sucks, though slamming into towers and sending snipers flying off cliffs is pretty fun. The hot air balloons and markers all over the map can suck a fat nut.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah pretty much though goddamn I wish it wasn't so stiff with the movement. Max has the worst jump I've ever seen in a game and it blows that you can only climb on certain things that are painted yellow and deemed climbable. Isn't that a problem that was solved last generation? poo poo is terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It is a very beautiful game and I like the world it paints, sparsely populated as it is. It's just unfortunate that they couldn't tell a good story with this setting and these interesting characters.

I played it for nearly 60 hours so it's not like I didn't enjoy myself.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

What a disgrace to the Humungus name. I just watched Road Warrior last weekend and there's no indication whatsoever that he's got issues with race. Seemed like a pretty cool dude aside from the murdering and pillaging.
Uh, dude has a gun case with Nazi paraphernalia. He obviously doesn't have a problem with gays, but I don't remember any non-white characters in the movie so who knows what he thinks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Uh, dude has a gun case with Nazi paraphernalia. He obviously doesn't have a problem with gays, but I don't remember any non-white characters in the movie so who knows what he thinks.

He's a nazi who lives in Australia. There's an almost 100% chance he's racist against Aborigines.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I totally missed the Nazi stuff, guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I mean, I was joking, but still I did miss the fact that he had actual Nazi paraphernalia around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I totally missed the Nazi stuff, guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I mean, I was joking, but still I did miss the fact that he had actual Nazi paraphernalia around.

I mean, there's actually a lot of debate as to whether it's legit nazi paraphenalia. His gun case has a death's head "Totenkopf", but from what I remember of the historian-nerd discussion, it's not actually a Nazi Totenkopf.

Now, that doesn't mean that it wasn't intended by the filmmakers to be a Nazi Totenkopf.

So it's kind of an ambiguous grey area.

edit: While I am hardly a historian, my understanding is that Totenkopfs were somewhat common in military symbolism prior to their widespread use by the Nazis. This widespread use made them associated with Nazi military forces and, as a result, they aren't really used by other militaries any more.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 7, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just to go back a step, on the Twitter account, the story that they 'cost' Star Wars 4 million (based on really weird metrics, obviously) had 6 likes. Which sums up the story elegantly

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Just to go back a step, on the Twitter account, the story that they 'cost' Star Wars 4 million (based on really weird metrics, obviously) had 6 likes. Which sums up the story elegantly

Ah poo poo, if they'd just remembered to only cast white people, Force Awakens could have been the highest grossing American film of all-time, PLUS an extra four million! Thank God Disney has some artistic integrity and not everything is about money!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious how much casting black and Hispanic characters in star wars helped broaden it's appeal. I bet it was a lot more than 4 million dollars worth.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Snak posted:

I'm curious how much casting black and Hispanic characters in star wars helped broaden it's appeal. I bet it was a lot more than 4 million dollars worth.

Iirc films with black leads tend to do significantly worse in foreign box office totals.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Iirc films with black leads tend to do significantly worse in foreign box office totals.

I haven't read up on all this stuff but maybe that's the reason they're predicting that it won't overtake Avatar for the worldwide records. It may not be expected to do as well in China because of the diverse cast, whereas Avatar substituted minorities for blue cat-aliens so China ate it up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MMAgCh posted:

The War Rig should win Best Actress.

And those boltcutters should get a Best Supporting Actor nod.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
War Rig x Boltcutters are my OTP

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

He's a nazi who lives in Australia. There's an almost 100% chance he's racist against Aborigines.

Lord Humungus would be the type of person who would turn the boats back, just saying.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
There was some interesting Indigenous imagery in the movie, like the white body paint and the especially the paint huffing - it makes a fun meme but apparently huffing chrome spray paint is a huge problem in remote Indigenous Australian communities.

I did use that SHINY AND CHROME meme to get my housemate to spray paint in his mouth though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MMAgCh posted:

The War Rig should win Best Actress.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

And those boltcutters should get a Best Supporting Actor nod.

Woah Woah Woah! The War Rig is in the running for Best Actor! I don't want gender swapping in this thread people. The Rig is one of the burliest action heros to ever grace the screen. It envelopes and protects our female damsels. Its the alpha male who survives all the minor conflicts while the side characters get picked off. It charges into battle and gets the poo poo kicked out of it over and over. The War Rig/Nux Bromance is strong as the punishment the rig takes has to be constantly patched up for the next fight.

And that Heroic Sacrifice. The emotion it brought to that scene was tear jerking.

Count Chocula posted:

I did use that SHINY AND CHROME meme to get my housemate to spray paint in his mouth though.

:ohdear:

It was the edible chrome food paint and not actual spray paint right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Snak posted:

I mean, there's actually a lot of debate as to whether it's legit nazi paraphenalia. His gun case has a death's head "Totenkopf", but from what I remember of the historian-nerd discussion, it's not actually a Nazi Totenkopf.

Now, that doesn't mean that it wasn't intended by the filmmakers to be a Nazi Totenkopf.

So it's kind of an ambiguous grey area.

edit: While I am hardly a historian, my understanding is that Totenkopfs were somewhat common in military symbolism prior to their widespread use by the Nazis. This widespread use made them associated with Nazi military forces and, as a result, they aren't really used by other militaries any more.

I don't really know this kind of poo poo, so I won't pretend to be an expert, but if I recall what other people had said about it then I think it was supposed to be a Prussian Totenkopf. That would make it WWI-era, pre-dating Nazism.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

M_Gargantua posted:

Woah Woah Woah! The War Rig is in the running for Best Actor! I don't want gender swapping in this thread people.
The official Fury Road vehicle showcase refers to the War Rig as "she". :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Stop getting in the way of my MRA Fantasy with your facts!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Lord Humongous certainly subscribed to no ideology smaller than himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Ah poo poo, if they'd just remembered to only cast white people, Force Awakens could have been the highest grossing American film of all-time, PLUS an extra four million! Thank God Disney has some artistic integrity and not everything is about money!

I read that article, they took the screen shot of their poll down because Twitter polls show how many people voted and the voting ratio. That $4 million+ is based on how many visitors their website receives. But the poll was taken by only 500 people, and only about 50% of that answered yes, times that ~$8.38 average ticket price, they cost Disney $2095. And that's assuming every single one of those 250 white men between the ages of 25~40 that make up the majority of their users actually went through with it and boycotted Star Wars, as if that's even a possibility.

• Locked thread